Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 238 days!

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

The establishing shot of Knowhere in GotG1 is a good example of something that is on a technical level very good, but in design and effect completely pedestrian. The character's stare at in awe, but for some reason the visual effects team stuck a bunch of nebula (lol) in the shot to obscure it and to prevent proper contrast. So the effect is uninspiring despite the fact that the audience is looking at a colossal, severed head in space.

I'm not sure I'd give GotG particularly high marks for visual design as cosmic sci-fi epics go, but a high-contrast shot with sharp clarity probably would have been a really dumb choice for a place called "Knowhere" that is a gigantic mysterious skull.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 238 days!

Serf posted:

I didn't expect Batista to turn out to be a decent actor, much less this great in a comedic role. He's not The Rock, but in terms of WWE performers-turned-actors he's kinda killing it.

i wouldn't have thought a man once known primarily for "can you smell what The Rock is cooking" to be capable of comedy, much less be good at it

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 238 days!

Piell posted:

Says a person who never watched wrestling

guilty

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 238 days!
Also it's kind of funny watching Bravest be so obnoxious that he can't convince people of a point which is blatantly obvious :laugh:

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 238 days!

PostNouveau posted:

Marvel movies being anti-sex is a real reach.

I don't want to say they're kids movies, but y'all know you can put sex scenes in a movie where a large chunk of the audience is families, right? Quill's got that pink woman in his ship and talks to Drax about the various species he's hosed; that's about as raunchy as it's going to get in a movie that also wants parents to go buy toys and comics for their 8-year-olds. (I know someone is going to sperg out on that; I'm not saying selling toys is the main goal of the movie.)

James Gunn puts his own fears of spoiling the cast chemistry in Quill's mouth in this movie. I don't think his fears are well-founded, and I think Quill and Gamora dancing around getting together is wearing very thin, but you gotta take a big stretch to be like "No, that explicitly stated reason is not the real reason they aren't getting together, it's because Marvel hates sex."

I haven't seen enough Marvel movies to say overall. In Iron Man, Tony's womanizing is definitely used to demonstrate his egotistical nature, though. And Ego's plan is straightforwardly to destroy countless worlds by reproducing himself. In this case, what is being shown is, of course, the wrong motive for parenthood- using your child as a vicarious extention of oneself. It's far better to be a flawed parent like Yondu who understands that Quill is his own person. In GotG1, sex isn't a huge theme; what is mostly shown is how awkward the subject is for Quill and how clumsy he is even approaching the subject.

I haven't really seen or heard of a positive depiction of functioning sexuality in any of the Marvel films, in what I've seen and heard, it's an uncomfortable, disruptive force at best. I'd be open to counter-examples, though, because there's plenty of films I just haven't seen.

By contrast, in BvS, Kal's romance with Lois is questioned, but the film is quite comfortable with the sexual nature of their relationship.

e: or, to be really cheeky, Quill meets his biological dad and is so grossed out by the realization that his parents hosed that it drives him to finally appreciate his adoptive father :laugh:

Hodgepodge fucked around with this message at 22:58 on May 9, 2017

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 238 days!

PostNouveau posted:

Yeah, dude, like a quarter of the audience is under 12. The characters won't be loving. You can contrast it with BvS, but I sure wouldn't take my kid to see a Zach Snyder movie.

Honestly, if your kid reads, and they should, chances are that the bathtub scene won't really be anything scarring by that point.

I mean maybe don't show them The Watchmen.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 238 days!

Gyges posted:

How is Peter going to get the 3rd volume of Awesome Mix now that he doesn't have a tape player and he already listened to both his mom's mix tapes? Will Grandpa Quill introduce Peter to the majesty of Now That's What I Call Music?

Marvel skimping on merchandise featuring the ladies in their product? What a surprise.

He'll come to Earth and mainline 80s nostalgia from the source.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 238 days!

FirstAidKite posted:

I enjoyed the movie and I hope others who saw it found it as enjoyable as I did :)

Actually, I thought the same thing, but apparently you do freeze in space. Sort of. I'll just quote this person who told me about how it works.

According to the Book of Life Wikipedia:

quote:

The least severe of these is the freezing of bodily secretions due to evaporative cooling. But severe symptoms such as loss of oxygen in tissue (anoxia), followed by circulatory failure and flaccid paralysis in about 30 seconds.[1] The lungs also collapse (atelectasis) in this process, but will continue to release water vapour leading to cooling and ice formation in the respiratory tract.[1]

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 238 days!
I'm not sure that maturity is even a good thing in the context of pulp sci-fi adventure comedy.

I would definitely say that a lot of the comedy of Quill's character is at the expense of his attempts to appear more mature than he actually is.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 238 days!

GoldfishStew posted:

The Starlord/Gamora story and the Gamora/Nebula story just weren't expanded upon/different enough from the first to make me feel they were necessary to the film in a film that already had a lot going on, story wise.

I will again say I also don't like that Gamora was designated to a girls weekend side story while the boys went off to play. Maybe I am acutely sensitive to this because it bothered me so much in the merchandise of the last movie. There were literally shirts that said Guardians of the Galaxy and just had images of Groot, Rocket, Drax and Starlord, with no Gamora to be found on it.

That bothered me in the first movie, it seemed like the film needed to segregate Gamora and Nebula or their agency would threaten the boys or something. Which I don't think even the gamergate crowd would find necessary in a film that features a mostly male cast :shrug:

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 238 days!

Phylodox posted:

Loving another being was changing Ego. It was throwing his whole premise ("I am the best and everything should be me") into question. If he's perfect, how can he love something that isn't him? He couldn't just love Meredith and then merrily go back to his plan because she was calling his whole plan into question.

Yeah. If he allowed himself to see another being as having value, it would put the validity of his entire plan into question. If there's fundamental value in the existence of other beings, then replacing those other beings with himself isn't a very good idea.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 238 days!

GoldfishStew posted:

You fools. There is a difference between killing someone and torturing them.

Yeah, emotional and physical abuse are way more common than homicide.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 238 days!
Zeus named his most famous bastard after his wife so she'd try really hard to kill him, because he needed a weapon.

Heracles means "gift of Hera."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 238 days!
Ronan mercs some guy from Avengers to prove he's tough and five seconds later Thanos nails exactly why he isn't.

He does come off as dangerous, though, but precisely because he's a petulant child.

• Locked thread