Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

I thought the movie was okay, had a few problems here and there. I'd give it a 7, while the easily-rewatchable first movie is a 9.
The humor at times felt a bit lazy "first-draft" quality, as if the characters were MST3K-ing their own movie. We don't need to have every character put their 2 cents in every scene, it kinda drags the momentum down. I like Drax and Rocket enough, but the fake laugh response got old by the midpoint of the movie.

I also felt a bit iffy on how much human killing was done by the heroes while the first movie only had "necro-something" faceless monster humanoid deaths. We spent too much time with the pirates, too. I felt like there were more interesting settings in the first film and we jumped between them every 20 minutes there. Here it slowed down a bit too much and we were stuck in certain locations for too long.

I did like the last 30 min of the movie when it kicked into higher gear and everyone had a goal while the beginning/middle felt a bit aimless. It ended strong and if I watch it again, I might just start from the last third.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

CelticPredator posted:

Ya'll forgot what those Ravangers did to Yondu's crew?
But even then, weren't they all Yondu's crew? It was a mutiny, but they were still supposed to be like, the same pirates from the first film. It seemed a bit odd/cold-blooded to massacre his entire crew besides Sean Gunn.

I felt weird about it too, like the first movie stayed close to "good guy rules" and this one crossed over.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Yakmouth posted:

Yes. I don't know their names, but they did show up.

I think there's a narrative difference between the Sovereign and the Ravagers that accounts for the death count. In the Sovereign story-line they were undisputedly the wronged party. They were robbed of half a million credits and wanted justice. Killing them off would have moved Rocket's crime from dick-baggery to outright evil. Whereas the Ravagers were mutinous pirates -- it would have been bizarre if Yondu hadn't killed executed the lot of them.

Considering that the Guardians are supposed to be anti-heroes I was actually really happy about how dark this got. Rocket, Yondu, Groot, and Drax are at best amoral and I think the film showed that side of them really well.
I should note that Rocket, after stealing the batteries, did say "I feel like killing something" and blew up the Sovereign ships, only to be told afterwards that they were unmanned. He did try to murder the wronged party.

• Locked thread