Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

I suppose I could part with one and still be feared...

Praseodymi posted:

I'm guessing you quoted the headline rather than just quoting Kier Starmer because this is the article where he correctly stated that freedom of movement would end if we left the single market, and didn't actually lay out any policy?
Here's the speech.

http://press.labour.org.uk/post/159971207604/keir-starmer-speech-on-labours-approach-to-brexit

He says they recognise immigration rules will have to change after Brexit. The current immigration rules are free movement of EU citizens. Ergo these will have to change to something other than free movement of EU citizens.

Later on it talks about membership of a "reformed" single market, ie one without freedom of movement. If that's impossible (hint: it is) then they will leave the single market and seek some sort of deal.

The single market without freedom of movement is literally Johnson's "have your cake and eat it" policy. The EU has said repeatedly it is not a deal that's on offer. If you take this speech seriously, Labour's Brexit policy is "we'll stay in the single market by inventing a faster-than-light spaceship and figuring out how to divide be zero. If FOR SOME INEXPLICABLE REASON this SENSIBLE PLAN doesn't work then I guess we'll have to leave."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

It's also with remembering that Vote Leave repeatedly described leaving the single market as "mad" and something "no-one is taking about" so both Labour and the Tories are now more hardcore Brexiteers than the official Brexit campaign was during campaigning. Were Vote Leave full of poo poo? Yes. But everyone has just meekly accepted their massive bait and switch and hard Brexit is where both parties will take us.

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

Cerebral Bore posted:

EDIT: And besides that he spends like half the speech highlighting that retaining access to the single market is the number one priority.
You don't get access to the single market without freedom of movement. Ask the Swiss, who just tried this and failed.

Labour have a structural Brexit problem because the richer, younger, metropolitan half of their supporters think it's stupid while the poorer, older, more provincial half think it's a good idea. This is an attempt to paper over the cracks with ambiguous statements and pedantry and undeliverable promises designed to mollify both sides, but the logic points straight at a hard Brexit.

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

Put me down for

CON: 342
LAB: 221
LD: 8
Other: 79

With the charity being "your nearest food bank."

edit: I can't add

Zephro fucked around with this message at 15:53 on May 28, 2017

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

Zephro posted:

Put me down for

CON: 342
LAB: 221
LD: 8
Other: 79

With the charity being "your nearest food bank."

edit: I can't add
Actually on second thoughts:

CON: 346
LAB: 224
LD: 5
OTHER: 75

Those numbers may look different but let me be very clear: nothing has changed. NOTHING HAS CHANGED

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2017/may/28/merkel-says-eu-cannot-completely-rely-on-us-and-britain-any-more-g7-talks

quote:

Europe can no longer completely rely on its traditional British and American allies, Angela Merkel has warned, saying the EU must now be prepared to “take its fate into its own hands”.

Speaking after bruising meetings of Nato and the G7 group of wealthy nations last week, the German chancellor suggested the postwar western alliance had been badly undermined by the UK’s Brexit vote and Donald Trump’s election.

“The times in which we could completely depend on others are to a certain extent over,” she told an election rally in Munich on Sunday. “I’ve experienced that in the last few days. We Europeans truly have to take our fate into our own hands.”

The chancellor told a 2,500-strong crowd in the Bavarian capital that Germany and Europe would strive to remain on good terms with the US, Britain and other countries, “even with Russia”, but added: “We have to know that we must fight for our future on our own, for our destiny as Europeans.”
HowBrexitIsSeenElsewhere.txt

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

Pochoclo posted:

The electorate would definitely vote for the Chaos Gods from Warhammer 40K, because sure, they will bring untold suffering into our physical realm, but they "tell it like it is"
Papa Nurgle loves all his subjects and he's basically the Chaos God of stoicism and stiff upper lips. We wouldn't vote Tzeentch, though. He's the Chaos God of hope and we all know what's up with hope.

Zephro fucked around with this message at 23:38 on May 28, 2017

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

https://www.ft.com/content/4ebc8f1e-43c0-11e7-8d27-59b4dd6296b8

quote:

Polls, including YouGov, that show narrower Conservative leads are those that assign probabilities of voting based wholly or primarily on a respondent’s self-reported likelihood of casting a ballot, meaning that young people make up a far bigger proportion of the likely vote than they have historically.

Those showing wider Conservative leads, such as ComRes and ICM, model turnout based on historical figures for demographic groups. This would have improved accuracy in most previous elections, but risks coming unstuck if behaviour changes markedly
This is what we'd been assuming, I think, but nice to see it confirmed.

Maybe this time... this time will be different :downs:

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

Pesmerga posted:

But where would I lift weights in order to be swole for Jeremy's communist revolution that I've been promised is coming? :ohdear:
Seize the means of swole production, transport them back to your house and THEN burn the gym down

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

serious gaylord posted:

The media are turning on Paxman because he tore apart their darling Mrs May and jeopardised Leveson 2 being struck down.
What did he do wrt Leveson? (Genuine question)

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

ronya posted:

british chinese outnumber british jews by nearly 2:1
And are almost never written about, for whatever reason.

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

Oberleutnant posted:

Chinese communities in Britain seeeeeeeeem to conform to all the stereotypes of non-integration and non-assimilation that the right vomits at Middle Eastern and South Asian communities in this country, and it's weird because nobody cares or feels threatened by the existence of entire chinatowns with dual-language street signage, and non-english storefronts, and entire streets full of people who aren't white or speaking english.
It's not a big deal at all, although I bet in the 70s ad 80s skinheads were throwing a loving fit about it. Nowadas it's cool af to have a little slice of a foreign culture right there on your doorstep where you can try new and different foods and just experience something that isn't quite the same monotonous, grey monoculture.
It sort of feels like anti-Irish sentiment in that the Chinese have been around for a long time (my gran used to talk about memories of taking washing to a Chinese laundry when she was a little girl, which would be 90+ years ago by now) and so people have just got used to it by now. Plus also they've found new and exciting people to be racist about. But it is very striking, yeah, and that's basically what I was getting at with my post

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

Oberleutnant posted:

Her opinion (and she said that this is shared by a lot of her spanish mates in the uk) is that we Britons are a pathologically insincere and emotionally stunted people, that we're incapable of being open or honest for fear of judgement by people around us, and that this applies even to ourselves and our loved ones so how the gently caress are we going to be honest with pollsters.
Speaking as a dirty immigrant to this country your girlfriend is on the money

edit: at least for the middle classes

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

Of course that's the case. That's why they have those minimum income rules too. It stops The Poors getting in legally, so they can just be rounded up and deported instead.
It's part of the general "hostile environment" immigration strategy, ie make things lovely and awkward and unwelcoming to prevent people wanting to live in your country.

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

Broken Cog posted:

Anyone got any good articles on what a weak Tory showing in the GE could mean for the Brexit negotiations?
It probably doesn't matter all that much. You can argue that a tiny majority gives her a card to play in seeking concessions because she can argue that with a small majority she can't get a poo poo deal through parliament. Or you can argue that having a tiny majority leaves her at the mercy of the ultra-brexit fruit loops, which might carry more weight if she wasn't an ultra-brexit fruit loop herself (since we're now committed to an even harder brexit than the official Vote Leave campaign were arguing for, ie leaving the single market and the customs union).

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

Boris will be PM by the middle of June because that would keep us on the darkest timeline

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

Not Operator posted:

Did May give a reason for no-showing? Her earlier snipe against Corbyn made it sound like she was planning to sit in a dark room for an hour to calculate the many facets of brexit like a loving current day mentat, but I somehow doubt that's it.
May is pretty far from any kind of mentat tbf. Her official reason was "I'm too busy making sure Brexit (which I think is a great idea) doesn't become a loving terrible disaster to participate in this debate, even though I wasn't too busy to call this election in the first place"

• Locked thread