Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
I don't want any scroungers renting one of my houses tbh. They'll make a mess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Regarde Aduck posted:

A freddo for the first person to purposefully run Rhodri Philipps, the 4th Viscount St Davids, the gently caress over and then reverse over him until he is dead. Then send abuse to any surviving family.

I feel this message may run afoul of section 127 of the Communications Act 2003. Be careful.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Phil was right about British women in 1966, and he's still right now.

They can't cook for poo poo.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Every party seems to be using the Hillary strategy of not campaigning so that the people who might vote against them won't notice the elections are happening.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
There are a lot of Plaid posters up, and one farm is just decked out in UKIP flags. Otherwise nice and quiet.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
I only buy into spin from student-age journalists, and the elderly.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
The busiest time would be the few minutes between work and the pub, yeah.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

JFairfax posted:

oh yes joking about murdering black women is v. funny

That's racist and sexist.

Joking about murdering anyone is v. funny

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
I'm running with a zero tolerance immigration policy. No one enters and no one leaves until we sort everything else* out.

* Everything more important than hospital car park fees, anyway.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Who hasn't bust a nut to Maggie Thatcher at some point?

I mean for most of you it was a drawing of her on fire but I'm not one to kinkshame.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Sixth form leaving parties look worse than I remember.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Stabbatical posted:

Is there a good survey or something like that out there which shows what the median voter regards as fair/unfair? And any insight into the story of UK politics they have (e.g. Labour spent all the money, then burnt the economy, then we need to do austerity, then... etc)?

I'm asking as I actually don't think I know any voters like that and that story & views are totally alien to me - it's disconcerting.

We have a Tory government, mate.

Not enough people give a poo poo about "people dying" due to austerity policies. You have to sell them on the economic benefits of anti-austerity if you want to actually govern and end the tighten-our-belts nonsense.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Stabbatical posted:

True. But how? What could possibly work, if nothing has before now?

Say that increased spending on social services means jobs. Say that it means growth. Say that it means a stronger economy.

Don't say that scroungers and invalids will lead better, safer lives. For every person who gives a poo poo, another won't and one more will be annoyed at the idea.

If the Conservatives say that Labour want to bankrupt Britain by raising your taxes and spending all the money, don't say "but people are in need!". Say that spending is good and will make us all richer. Appeal to self-interest.

It works on everyone.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Change the voting age to 18-50 imho.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

TACD posted:

Teenagers aren't stupid

Yes they are.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

forkboy84 posted:

It's more that teenagers aren't any more stupid than the rest of the voting public.

Yes they are.

It's a smart move for Labour because the ones that care about voting lean heavily left. But let's not pretend 16 and 17 year olds are real people.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Everyone thinks they've got "correct politics". That's not a qualification.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

TACD posted:

This is not the argument.

You're really naive if you don't think that's why Labour want it to happen.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Bape Culture posted:

What's the middle class voting option these days now that tories only care about billionaires and labour care about poors?

Sell your vote.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
If everyone's stupid how come all you geniuses are so poor?

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

big scary monsters posted:

I'm not sure I understand the argument for not taxing under 18s. I know that Americans are big on the "no taxation without representation" for historical reasons, but you don't pay taxes to be allowed to vote (I'm sure the Tories' would be keen on removing the franchise from the unemployed though). You pay taxes for the privilege of living in a society where sewage doesn't flow over the dead bodies lying on the mud track outside your collapsing hovel. In addition, it'd be absurd for a 16 year old child star to make millions in untaxed income, and it'd be likewise silly to allow rich parents to put assets in their children's name as a convenient tax loophole.

Corporations would love it.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Foxes are Evil little shits but I don't really care for the past methods of their execution, even though many of my relatives were heavily involved in hunts.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Party Boat posted:

Lib Dems have pledged to legalise cannabis

Their first sound economic policy.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Lovechop posted:

on the topic of foxhunting - some people like to do some kind of messed up stuff for fun, and i think we should respect that. for instance, i enjoy beating tories to death with blunt instruments.

Bigot.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Lovechop posted:

not at all. you see, if left unchecked the tory population can be very damaging to the countryside and the environment in general. it's important to keep the numbers down.

Only because you build artificial dens for them to breed via strawman arguments & telling everyone with a differing opinion to "go vote Tory".

Without the Tory hunt their numbers manage themselves, even if the occasional rural farmer gets his chicken coop ravaged by Theresa May.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Guavanaut posted:

Copyright lasting for 70 years after the death of the artist would be hilarious if it were in a work of (public domain) fiction. As it is, it's a needless knotweed on the creative arts. Compare that to 15-20 years from filing for a patent on a useful invention or improvement.

The keyword here is 'useful'.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

lol

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Jippa posted:

Make it illegal to not vote.

How are you going to pay to enforce that?

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

ronya posted:

Withdraw benefits on non-voters. Boom, a mutually satisfactory solution.

The party that then promises to stop doing this would get a massive boost.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

ronya posted:

Why would Labour promise this, though? It would benefit disproportionately from the compulsion. Why would the Tories? The fewer people who receive benefits, the better for them.

The Tories don't want the poor and/or lazy voting in the first place, and can strip benefits any number of ways when in power.

If Labour stand up for mandatory voting then they might find the poor and/or lazy votes they count on diverted on a wave of spite (see: Brexit).

Lib Dems support your right not to care about them at all.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
I wouldn't miss the bbc.

Burn it all down.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
9/11 didn't effect me at all.

Pretty sure I slept on the bus back from college after I heard about it on the radio.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

TACD posted:

I can't believe nobody is coaching May on how to stand up properly. In every single photo she's hunched over like a cartoon vulture or something out of The Twits.

There's an episode of the west wing where they coach Toby about this.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Zephro posted:

I was working a lovely minimum wage job for Exeter county council in the records office. The woman opposite me took absolutely no interest at all even as it was all happening live on TV and didn't seem to think it was significant in any way and got a bit annoyed when I started talking about it because she wanted to get on with her filing.

What a pro.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Ariana wills it

Let us retake the holy land

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Worcester racecourse has a terrible selection of beers on tap.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Regarde Aduck posted:

The worst ones were actual Trump supporting GBS posters who were posting here for lols. I've no doubt one of them said "lol i bet UKMT, who are all muslim converts, are saying this is a good thing. Lets get them boys!" or words to that effect. More racism and weird compound insults. Hence the people going off half cocked about politics they know nothing about and claiming we want to gulag everyone and love East Germany.

Remember to the American right, left wing politics is a black women speaking ebonics asking for infinite money to have more kids. Never overestimate the level of discourse with these people. Their entire reality is a strawman.

And this isn't?

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
The US teaching us the meaning of free speech.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

namesake posted:

I highly highly recommend everyone listen to the end of todays Radio 4s PM, it's a ten minute with a guy living in Manchester who's part of the Libyan community and he basically spends the whole time saying how our hosed up foreign policy is to blame for a lot of the radicalisation that takes place. In fact here's a link: http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b08qxfnn Starts about 47:30.

No amount of foreign policy justifies blowing up little girls at a pop concert.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Namtab posted:

Ah, but who does the voting?

My vote for Tony Blair didn't cause an otherwise normal person to suicide bomb the fans (and parents of fans) of American pop sensation Ariana Grande.

At some point in that chain of events between the two is something sick, deranged and flat out unacceptable to a normal human being.

• Locked thread