Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

LemonDrizzle posted:

The German newspaper FAZ has an account of the midweek dinner meeting between May/Davis and Juncker, which is really not complimentary at all of the PM; the Economist's Berlin bureau chief did a translation of the highlights on Twitter: https://twitter.com/JeremyCliffe/status/858810953353367552

This government is basically the diplomatic equivalent of drunkenly shouting at a Polish builder "two World Wars and one World Cup, doo dah, doo dah". :negative:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

Looke posted:

reminder that leave.eu also posted about executing people, before swifty deleting it

They like the idea of executing black people but think that war criminals are hard done by by political correctness.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

:munch:

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

The girl Danczuk was sexting was interviewing for a job in his constituency office, IIRC.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

As far as I know, the out trans candidates running this time are Helen Belcher (Lib Dem, Chippenham), Aimee Challenor (Green, Coventry South), Sophie Cook (Labour, West Worthing), and Zoe O'Connell (Lib Dem, Maldon). Of those, only Helen has a reasonable chance of winning; Chippenham was a Lib Dem seat during the coalition.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

jabby posted:

Reasonable might be overstating it, the Tories won with a majority of over ten thousand thanks to the Lib Dems loving themselves and their voters over.

Zac Goldsmith had a majority of 23,000.

I think the Tories are odds-on to hold onto Chippenham, but it could happen; nearly all of their council seats in Wiltshire are in Chippenham constituency.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

https://twitter.com/patrick_ness/status/858338965916708864

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

It's gonna cost them 300 grand.

For 10,000 officers.

Over 4 years.

Effective minimum wage: one farthing per hour.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

https://twitter.com/theipaper/status/857994119389622279

Bristol, well known Northern city.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

Remember that London cabbies protested against TfL not applying their English language policy in a racist way.

TinTower fucked around with this message at 12:48 on May 2, 2017

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

https://twitter.com/george_osborne/status/859362035859062784

:allears:

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

https://twitter.com/nadinedorriesmp/status/859320663294738432

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

https://twitter.com/mapduliand/status/858990538837684225

Something something gravy train.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

I didn't know that Andy Burnham had changed his name.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

Looks like Jeremy Corbyn isn't the only MP to be getting paid by Press TV! :v:

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

OwlFancier posted:

Voted for the Tees Valley mayor, Lab 1st Lib 2nd, I actually didn't know it was a multiple choice so I was expecting to only vote Lab but given the other options wer Con/UKIP I figured it's better a lovely lib get it than them if Labour can't.

This sort of guesswork in who's going to make the top two makes SV the worst system.

OwlFancier posted:

To... Where?

Hell.

TinTower fucked around with this message at 18:35 on May 4, 2017

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

OwlFancier posted:

There's quite a few bridges, some of them very fancy like Newport bridge which has a massive pulley system on it to lift the middle up.

I think there's a footbridge at Stockton.

A tramline would be nice, we used to have trams in the town center a long time ago.

You're not far south enough to qualify for central government funding for a tram line.

(Incidentally, I'm surprised that the Tories were able to find someone who could do a worst job as Transport Secretary than Alistair Darling)

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

ukle posted:

Had only Labour (great guy), Conservative (brown noser with property companies) and Green to choose from for the CC elections. Also heard the same from 2 other people in different area i.e. no LD but a green candidate. Have the Lib Dem's just given up on County Councils that they stand no chance in now? Its odd given the Greens are trying yet the LD's just not bothering.

Depending on the area, some Lib Dems have stood down for the Greens for the County Councils as a thank you for Richmond.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

According to everyone's favourite psephologist John Curtice, UKIP are down about by about 15%.

They've also lost every single seat they were defending. Every. Single. One.

This may mean that they'll be lucky to hit 8% of the vote on a map that went 22% UKIP in 2013.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

Lord of the Llamas posted:

Very little mention of the Lib Dem Fightback in this post.

It's unclear to me how Corbyn critics handle a Labour defeat where the Lib Dems collapse even further. If the answer is be right wing then we might as well just abolish political parties.

Curtice has the Lib Dems up 4% compared to 2013.

What's happening is that the UKIP-Tory swing is dwarfing all others.

jabby posted:

It's ironic that both UKIP and the Lib Dems have spent so much energy rubbishing Labour and proclaiming themselves 'the new opposition' when it's looking increasingly likely that Labour is going to be the only party bar the Tories that gets over 10% of the vote.

a) Your maths is a little wonky.
b) Lib Dems got 13% in 2013. Most likely result is somewhere about CON 35 LAB 27 LD 17 UKIP 7

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

jabby posted:

I'm talking about the general election, where I believe most recent polls have the Lib Dems and UKIP on 10% or less.

I wonder if things might have been different if they focused their attacks on the government instead of Labour, or even tried coming up with policies of their own. A man can dream.

I'd like Labour to attack the government instead of the Lib Dems too. :shobon:

e: these local elections are weird; the Tories are making net gains but are losing council leaders.

TinTower fucked around with this message at 02:32 on May 5, 2017

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

Labour wasted at least one PPB going into the European elections in 2014 attacking the Lib Dems instead of the Tories or UKIP.

And then they threw hundreds of thousands of pounds into unseating Lib Dem MPs in the South West. Which went very well.

e: oh, I also forgot Labour lost their Shadow Chancellor because they pulled their campaigners out of a marginal to unseat Clegg, who was in a seat that Labour had finished third in every single election since 1983.

TinTower fucked around with this message at 02:43 on May 5, 2017

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

I'm pretty sure Farron ruled out any coalition on the front page of the Observer a couple weeks back.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

https://twitter.com/mattsingh_/status/860301056957456389

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

THEY WON ONE.

https://twitter.com/britainelects/status/860465132333412354

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

https://twitter.com/itnsourcenews/status/860446858883321856

50 is about 100?

Abbott must be an engineer.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

In Greater Manchester, UKIP's candidate, the ultra-Orthodox rabbi Shneur Odze, got absolutely spanked. Finished below the English Democrats.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

(the joke was that he likes bdsm, but he still won't shake a woman's hand)

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

https://twitter.com/thatconnartist/status/860395404294225920

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

It should be pointed out that at least two, and possibly four, metro mayoralties went to the Tories almost certainly because the Supplementary Vote is a steaming pile of poo poo.

Most notably, Green voters having to guess between Labour and Lib Dem in both West of England and Cambs+P'boro exhausted their preferences early and let the Tories just over the line.

Which is the exact thing you don't want in a preferential system.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

For the avoidance of doubt, neither the Daily Mail nor the Prime Minister support ethnic cleansing.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

To the joy of everyone except Sam Kriss, Marine Le Pen has lost.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

Gonzo McFee posted:

Sam Kriss didn't support Le Pen, unlike a Lib Dem who would probably go into coalition with her.

Sam "better an honest thousand fascists than Macron" Kriss, aye?

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

Gonzo McFee posted:

He clarified that statement in the following tweets.

He literally typed the phrase "a thousand honest fascists".

That he could do that says a lot about him.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

Guavanaut posted:

Looks like Macron won though, and the centrist didn't even get a look in.

I'm rather surprised Jean-Luc "refugees are stealing the bread from French workers" Melenchon didn't get into the red quadrant, tbh.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

Jean-Luc Melenchon posted:

Je crois que l'Europe qui a été construite, c'est une Europe de la violence sociale, comme nous le voyons dans chaque pays chaque fois qu'arrive un travailleur détaché, qui vole son pain aux travailleurs qui se trouvent sur place, une Europe de la violence politique, comme nous l'avons vu appliquer à Chypre et à la Grèce, et une Europe de la violence guerrière, comme celle que vous êtes en train de préparer face à la Russie.

Melenchon is rather infamous for anti-immigrant rhetoric that you'd expect more from the Tories than Labour.

Codex Occultus posted:

Might have something to do with Political compass being ridiculous nonsense no one should ever take seriously.

Well, there's that.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

jabby posted:

Macron didn't win because everyone in France loves him. In the first round he got 24% in a tight four way race. He won the second round by such a big margin because there are still enough people terrified of Le Pen to vote for him even if they don't really like his policies. In a different system he might still be President but he would have 'trounced' the far right by less than 3% of the vote.

Le Pen wouldn't have got into the final round under AV (either Fillon or Melenchon would've got over the line from Hamon transfers), and no sane multi-party democracy is going to suggest electing a president under FPTP.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

Cerv posted:

Also rabidly anti-EU in a not particularly veiled anti-German sectarian way.
But somehow people on this side of the channel see he's the nominal left wing candidate so must be the good one

His opposition to GMO was basically "we know to fear German chemists".

I mean, Bayer did produce Zyklon B for the gas chambers, but that's almost certainly too much nuance for what is basically a :godwin:.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

https://twitter.com/simondanczuk/status/861606075107336192

https://twitter.com/_deeaitch/status/861608149484285952

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

Three long-standing Labour activists have been expelled from the party for supporting the NHA candidate against Jeremy Hunt.

• Locked thread