Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

OwlFancier posted:

It's 2017?

That's one heck of a delusion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

OwlFancier posted:

Isn't there a thing where it's higher if you're in a position of authority over the person?

If being an MP doesn't count for that it should, given their proclivities.

My MP isn't in authority over me, though. They represent me. (Well, actually they don't because they're SNP, but if I had any concerns I wished to be voiced in the Commons and thought a Tartan Tory would give two shits about they would be my official conduit.)

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

learnincurve posted:

My boomer dad still bangs on and on about how bananas were still rationed in the 1950s like it's justification for hanging on to his enormous 4 bedroom house where only three rooms get used, instead of moving to a smaller one and freeing it up for a family to buy. He also holds very strong opinions about imagrants coming over here and taking up all the houses that should be used for good honest Brits.

He's Australian.

Tell him to piss off, we're full.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Ewan posted:

That isn't a warcrime. Call me a pedant, but when you're calling someone a "war criminal" it's pretty important to actually mean war criminal.

You maybe mean he led the UK into an illegal war but that is not the same thing as a warcrime.

It's exactly the same thing as a war crime. It's literally word for word the first two indictments at Nuremberg - crimes against peace and promoting a war of aggression.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Ratjaculation posted:

"We are bringing you live coverage of her visit but for security reasons are unable to reveal the location until she arrives."

More like until after she leaves. It's vitally important that nobody know where May is campaigning because they might be tempted to pass political comment with a thrown brick. Not that I would advocate it, but if May was killed or rendered incapable right now the entire Tory party would collapse into infighting so fast that Labour would look like an autocracy.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Cerv posted:

with an attitude like that, he hopefully won't get through to the end of the trial without a contempt of court charge.

Not to defend him as a person, but he's actually correct not to stand because he wasn't called by name. His name is Mr Rhodri Phillips. His style is Lord St Davids. If he was addressed as either of those he should stand. But there was no "Mr St Davids" in the room.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

MikeCrotch posted:

Sorry that the angry guys weren't blackshirts to make you feel more comfortable

Why would blackshirts be opposing Theresa May?

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Ewan posted:

https://www.theguardian.com/inequality/2017/may/03/how-do-britains-highest-earners-feel-about-their-income

“Due to the vast absolute difference among the 1%, top income earners experience ‘relative disadvantage’,” the report, A Relational Analysis of Top Incomes and Wealth, states. “They are disadvantaged compared to others at the top, while being aware of their advantage compared to the general population.”

A senior investment banker, who earns hundreds of thousands of pounds a year, said he “just doesn’t feel particularly wealthy” compared with other parents at his children’s private school who, he said, were sitting on £100m-plus family fortunes.

“I feel like I’m fairly well off and I earn multiples of the hundred thousands,” the banker told a researcher from the LSE’s International Inequalities Institute. “But I feel very poor in the context of the classmates [of my children] ... Their parents can spend a lot more time with them, because none of them really work, or some of them work but it’s working on their own terms: they might run a hedge fund but they can take the kids to school.

The unnamed investment banker said earning a few hundred thousand “does not feel that great”.

The investment banker said £100m was a lot of money – but “not a ridiculous amount of money”. He told the researcher he was “fairly confident” that a driven and passionate individual could “start from zero and get to £100m within 20 years”.

Boohoo the poor 1% and their relative disadvantage

This is the kind of educational experience we want to see among the rich. He's basically saying "I work at my job and make more money than I'll ever really need, but these rich-by-birth bastards make me look like a pauper and they've done nothing to earn it". Now what he needs is the realisation that his employees who also work drat hard but don't earn salaries in the mid-sixes because they lack his opportunities feel the same way about him.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

SpaceCommie posted:

You've provided examples of the former, you got any for the latter?

Women and chubby people are races now?

And history snipes died about the same time fat dogs came in.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

A related question (apologies). My stepfather's mother was Irish. Do I qualify?

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Tigey posted:

I think 'thinly veiled contempt' is her default face

Her default face doesn't have the veil. Witness the woman eating chips like she's licking piss off a nettle.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

TACD posted:

Similarly, it took me a little while to realise that pissflaps is basically a oval office.

I think you'll find he's a supporter of New Labia.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Darth Walrus posted:

Remind me, what's the reasoning for dealing with all the administrative stuff before discussing trade? Other than it giving the EU a negotiating advantage over the U.K.?

It's right there on the page. We cannot be in the Single Market unless we agree to freedom of movement. If we are not in the Single Market, the trade deals will have to be conducted on entirely different terms. Therefore, these details must be resolved before trade negotiations can begin.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

jabby posted:

Marr: 'You say you want 10,000 new mental health professionals and yet you sacked 6,000 of them in the last parliament. Why?'
Hunt: 'We want better mental health services.'
Marr: 'Let's move on to Brexit.'

The general argument they use there is "we want the money to be spent in the right place". Which of course is when it goes into their pockets.

It just blows my mind that people can't see May is mentally ill. She has a Napoleon complex, except instead of Napoleon it's Thatcher. She thinks that all she has to do is be hard line about everything and she'll succeed. It's not even her own brand of evil, it's cargo cult evil.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

I see Hakimashou got a custom Plat icon. Nice.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

dispatch_async posted:

YouGov have tried to break down some of the flows:

Looks mostly like the Tories have picked up all the Eurosceptic Lib Dems.

E: Kelvin Mackenzie is being kicked out of the Sun.

Jedit fucked around with this message at 10:09 on May 9, 2017

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

LemonDrizzle posted:

On the other hand, there's a pretty strong precedent - Labour and the Lib Dems withdrew their candidates in Tatton in 1997 so Martin Bell could have a clear run against Neil Hamilton.

Yes, Labour withdrew their candidate. That was a party decision, and as Cerv pointed out was done in favour of an independent candidate. This case is three activists deciding on their own to not support the Labour candidate when it is literally their loving job to support him. Of course they got removed from the party.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

At last an exit from the EU that I can agree with.

Kegluneq posted:

Edit: wasn't the point of the Voigt-kampff that quite a lot of normal humans now would fail it? Even the idea of eating meat was meant to trigger revulsion.

Eating dog was meant to trigger a response, and the response didn't have to be revulsion - a positive response would have done as well. The point of the question is that a human might be revulsed or made dubious by the thought of eating the unusual foods or even enthused because it was a traditional dish of his country, but a replicant would not understand why it wasn't just dinner.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Ewan posted:

Ok I'm really confused.

How is it that "Corbyn PM" is 12/1 but Labour winning most seats is 20/1? (And then Labour majority is 40/1 - which I guess is them saying he won't win without a coalition)

It's possible for Labour to win more seats than any other party without having an absolute majority. Depending on how many the Lib Dems win and if Labour go into coalition with the SNP, it's also possible for Corbyn to become PM while having fewer seats than the Tories.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

a pipe smoking dog posted:

Who is this and why should we be disgusted? You always seem to assume that we'll know the one and outs of student /local council politics

I can't blame TinTower for forgetting we're not on a first name basis with every racist politician in the land.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

TACD posted:

These are two separate issues. People answered your first complaint and you responded by moving the goalposts. You're arguing in bad faith.

They aren't wholly separate issues, they're linked by cause and effect. If you want to increase spending you need to increase revenue; this is indisputable. But you can't handwave it by saying "We'll increase taxes on the rich" when half the problem is that the rich are able to evade the taxes they should be paying now. Twice nothing is still nothing.

This is where your second issue comes in: how do we stop the rich evading taxes? And really there's only one issue, because if the rich only paid what they're already due we'd have no need to raise the taxes further. Remember Dave Hartnett and his £4.3bn sweetheart deal with Vodafone? If they'd been made to pay that tax it would have paid for every single local authority cut in Britain. Christ, we could probably cut the corporation tax rate and still be rolling in it if we actually made companies pay it.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Ian Brady is dead. As a notorious murderer of children, that's one less Tory vote.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

What's worse? Blair never being tried for his crimes, or being tried and exonerated?

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Spuckuk posted:

Definitely should be on the thread approved reading list. The depiction of The Hunt is fantastic/loving horrible.

And is also a mind game played by the Invisibles, in case you hadn't noticed.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

forkboy84 posted:

Another thing Edinburgh has in common with London is it's awful.

And another thing the SNP have in common with the Tories is they want to become a tax haven after they break away.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Tigey posted:

Neither the blog nor the FOI request make clear exactly *whose* performance is being measured. It does not appear to be a corporate level indicator, as I can find no reference to it within their Departmental Plan nor its accompanying technical notes. This makes it extremely likely it is an operational level target - that a particular section within DWP is expected to meet. It does not state who is accountable for it.

This leaves the two most likely scenarios as:

If the KPI is intended to measure the performance of those staff/sections who are considering/judging the mandatory reviews (as Twitter folk are assuming), then yes, there is a significant conflict of interest there, as it creates pressure to distort the outcomes of the reviews. This would be very disturbing if true (given the impact on claimants), but there is no confirmation on it so far.

If the KPI is intended to measure the performance of those staff/sections responsible for doing initial assessments of claimants, then it would seem an appropriate performance target, as it measures the accuracy of their assessments. Someone whose assessments are consistently overturned upon review is clearly not doing a good job.

You're forgetting that there are also targets for number of sanctions issued. So we have a system where DWP staff are being told on the one hand to take away people's benefits for spurious reasons, and on the other to reject what must be legitimate appeals to prevent those people sanctioned getting back on the books.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Pochoclo posted:

Thread has reached peak Tory, nowhere to go but down from here folks

It says everything you need to know about the Mail that I didn't realise IFM hadn't just quoted without attribution until I got to his name.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

pointsofdata posted:

It's amazing how tories proposing a policy can make labour partisans pro huge inheritances:
https://twitter.com/DawnHFoster/status/865135032297500672

You don't see a problem with providing care for the elderly only until they've used up the value of their home, at which point they don't own it any more?

A house is not a "huge inheritance", and even if it were this is a blatant move to concentrate more money in the hands of people far richer than single home owners.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

They're the ones who vote Tory.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Angepain posted:

what is the cheapest form of identification a person can get? A passport? £72.50 to vote, please.

Provisional driving licence, I think. There would be a legal case to be made if any form of photographic ID backed by a utility bill or bank statement to prove address wasn't accepted, though. But it should come as no surprise that the woman who would be Thatcher is introducing a poll tax.

I'll also remind everyone that identity fraud in UK elections is close to nil. I don't think there were 100 cases in the entire 2015 General Election. This is a solution in search of a problem, the problem of course being students, foreigners, poor people and other groups that don't vote Tory.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

jBrereton posted:

The people who can't be arsed to get free ID and don't have a standard issue for a human adult passport and or driving license are very unlikely to be people who are going out and voting nowadays, imo.

:fuckoff:

Not everyone has a passport because not everyone travels abroad or by air, not everyone drives, and most of the people who don't do either are poor.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

jBrereton posted:

OK? That doesn't stop a full driving license or even a provision being a very widely held document. I haven't been abroad in about eight years and I still have an in-date passport because it's a useful thing to have. Plus there is very likely to be free ID like in Northern Ireland. The barrier to entry is more or less nonexistent when you can tick a box while registering to say "send me some ID".

You'd be screaming if they made it illegal for cunts to vote, you'd be disenfranchised in a heartbeat.

Everyone has the right to vote without impediment. Everyone.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

forkboy84 posted:

How old? 18?

I have a better suggestion. Kill all Tories.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

OwlFancier posted:

I have never seen a Jewish section in any supermarket but I understand that places do have them because one of my theoretical co-workers thought it would be a great idea to put pork scratchings in there and they sent out a company wide bollocking about it.

My local Sainsbury's has a kosher shelf and there hasn't been enough Jews here to warrant a full time rabbi since the 50s.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

So someone decided to publish a long shot of May launching the Conservative Battle Bus.

Literally everyone in the "crowd" was a hand picked Tory activist.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Did anyone link the story about the French lawyer filing a claim that the EU referendum was illegal because it excluded EU-resident ex-pats?

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

^^^ Nobody was the good guys in the Troubles. The IRA should be condemned at every turn, this is not exclusive to apologising for the Black and Tans being loving savages.

The Independent have analysed the Tory manifesto:

quote:

And that’s how they’re going to make all our grandparents go on the game.

Jedit fucked around with this message at 12:57 on May 21, 2017

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

TACD posted:

If you want a handjob from your neighbour, vote Labour.

If you're already a wanker, vote Conservative.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Coohoolin posted:

If SNP MPs would vote for a Corbyn government in parliament, than isn't a vote for the SNP a vote for Corbyn, especially when certain Scottish Labour candidates are explicitly anti-Corbyn?

And the Tories will put it out as Labour being propped up by the SNP for concessions, thus a vote for Labour is a vote for the break-up of Britain. This isn't even an answer I should need to give - they've already done it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

TheRat posted:

She's breaking

She appears to be on the news right now doubling down on the policy.

• Locked thread