Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.

Pochoclo posted:

What are you talking about? Argentinian beef is 100% free range.

The only one in Europe that comes close is Ávila. Have you actually been to Argentina and eaten asado? NOTE: Argentinian eateries outside of Argentina do not count

Man Scotland basically invented beef.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.
Remember to put the Tories last.

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.

Carecat posted:

If there's one thing completely clear from this it's that the general public have no chance of interpreting the success or implications of economic policy beyond how much do things cost/am I employed/has my pay increased?

And yet the intense messaging about THE DEBT and THE DEFICIT works into tricking people into thinking national economies work like household budgets.

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.

Regarde Aduck posted:

Remember when Scots posters claimed the death of Scottish Labour and the rise of the SNP was because they were so left wing. Yeah. This has all ended in tears. Who would have thought?

1. Destroy Labour in order to form massive SNP majority.
2. Fail to achieve independence.
3. Backslide into Toryism.

Depends how far the Tories go with Brexit. If they stick to their ideology it might not be so bad. A small erosion to worker rights here, a lowering of taxes for the upper classes there but life continues as normal. If they really go for it and just start turning us into libertaria then we could win the race to the bottom. They have the chance to outright remove all regulation because we don't have any of our own. All our environmental and pollution regulations are EU. They can turn this country into a polluted hellscape within ten years. It's all down to how they plan to handle Brexit and whether or not the ultimate agenda is making us into a deregulated tax haven or merely rolling back the clock to 1980's Britain.

Actually it's because 2014 Labour's neoliberalism allied itself with the Tories and because Unionism is an inherently conservative position, making the Tories the de facto party of the Union. It's not a credit to the Tories, it's a credit to the polarisation of constitutional debate and Scotland that will not stop until independence is achieved.

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.

serious gaylord posted:

I was with Corbyn up until the 3 line whip for article 50 which demonstrated a complete and total moment of idiocy on his behalf that there was no coming back from.

This was a big moment for Corbyn and it cost him a lot of sympathy.

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.
Posted this in the scotpol thread as well but I reckon it's interesting for here as well.

Quick recap of today's madness in Aberdeen:

- Aberdeen Labour decide to go into coalition with the Tories

- Scottish Labour HQ says it will suspend them if they do

- The councillors ignore HQ, and are now independents

- The leader of the Tories on the council issues a statement saying this is a victory for the union

The people of Aberdeen elected 19 SNP councillors, 11 Tories, 9 Labour, 4 Lib Dems, and 2 independents.

All of the Labour councillors, and one of the Lib Dems, are now independents so that they can go into coalition with the Tories.

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.

jabby posted:

That's what people need to restore trust in Scottish Labour. gently caress me.

To be fair Kezia did expel them from the party, but this is the result of Scottish labour losing sight of the tories and their repositioning as a party of union for whom the SNP are the be all and end all of evil.

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.

MikeCrotch posted:

slugthrowers are only in the Star Wars EU and therefore haraam

you did nothing wrong

Wrong, Aurra Sing, Tusken raiders, and Czerka Corp are all confirmed canon.

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.

forkboy84 posted:

I live in a SNP/nobody marginal. So despite the Labour candidate here being...not exactly to my tastes, I'll probably end up voting for him anyway, Labour needs every vote it can get, especially in Scotland.

Away from the election, a story on cleaners on strike at LSE, & how they get treated

That loving patronising lecture from Jeremy Irons.

If SNP MPs would vote for a Corbyn government in parliament, than isn't a vote for the SNP a vote for Corbyn, especially when certain Scottish Labour candidates are explicitly anti-Corbyn?

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.

Bobstar posted:

I know, don't judge people on their looks, but Jeremy Corbyn and Gerry Adams standing together is the least threatening image. Two nice old beard men, who variously like jam, being reasonable, and rubber ducks.

Someone said it in this thread before but I liked it- Imagine if back in the 90s someone had said we'd one day be talking about elder statesman Gerry Adams and religious fanatic war criminal Tony Blair.

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.

Verizian posted:

Aren't the SNP now pro-austerity or is that more propaganda?

The manifesto includes a massive stimulus package so no, they're not pro-austerity.

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.

Cerv posted:

independence has already been rejected in the recent referendum and it's not the be all and end all.
however many MPs the SNP get next month, another referendum is not happening any time soon.
vote Labour for the chance we might actually get a Labour government again instead of this current Tory disaster, or at least be in a position to get one next time round in a few years.

Voting Labour in most Scottish constituencies will split the left vote and risk letting the Tories in. In addition, a lot of Labour candidates up here are anti-Corbyn and would keep putting the knife in should they get elected. The SNP, however, would have no choice but to vote for a Corbyn government should Labour pick up enough seats in England- anything they do that might conceivably aid the Tories would be electoral suicide.

If you're in Scotland, vote pragmatically, and in most cases (with the exception of Ian Murray's constituency maybe) this means voting SNP.

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.

Jedit posted:

The SNP are pro-austerity (and pro-corporation) right up to the moment somebody asks them if they are. And contrary to what Coohoolin says, no coalition with them is possible because they will demand Indyref 2 as a condition of it. If you want Tories and you're in Scotland, voting SNP is the best way to get them.

1) The SNP can vote in a Labour government without a formal coalition;

2) Didn't the SNP just drop an immediate referendum from their manifesto? How do you know they'd demand indyref 2 as a condition of anything?

3) The last sentence is unrelated and backed up with nothing. The best way of keeping the Tories out in Scotland in almost every constituency is to vote SNP.

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.

forkboy84 posted:

The SNP are not a left vote, they are a nationalist vote. Tasmina Ahmed Sheikh is not left wing. Some SNP MPs? Sure. But where was this attitude in 2015 when good left-wing MPs like Katy Clark were unseated by some total party hack who would never break the SNP whip?

Tasmina Ahmed Sheikh does not represent the entirety of the SNP, but in any case, it doesn't change the fact that a LOT of people vote SNP for leftist reasons, and if some of these defect to the utterly useless Scottish Labour, there's a very real danger of letting in Tory wins.

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.
William Hill offering 9/2 on "no overall majority", worth a flutter?

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.
Is Ahmed-Sheik really that bad? Sure she used to be a Tory, but the voting record isn't that bad.

https://www.theyworkforyou.com/mp/25274/tasmina_ahmed-sheikh/ochil_and_south_perthshire/votes

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.

forkboy84 posted:

It doesn't matter why someone votes for something, it matters what that person they voted for does. And what the SNP does is not actually leftist. The party who wants to lower corporation tax doesn't get to call itself leftist.

And no, TAS does not represent all of the SNP, but they let her stand as a candidate it. Because the SNP is a broad church. Which includes plenty of liberals & some conservatives too. Yeah, if you live in one of the 10-15 seats predicted to be SNP Tory marginals in a week and you value stopping the Tories more than stopping a referendum that hasn't even been called for yet then vote SNP. But otherwise, the SNP need to earn my vote. Wasn't it them who were telling us that ScotLab are just the regional branch of Labour HQ? Well, I like Labour HQ a lot right now. Funny we've not been hearing that critique very much lately...

Maybe because Scotlab decided Corbyn's tenure was the right time to finally break with the leadership, because they're a bunch of useless sacks of Blairite poo poo?

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.

forkboy84 posted:

You're right, SNP MPs don't break the whip. I'm not sure that actually makes her good or negates her being bad.

So... The SNP leadership is good then?

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.

Macarius Wrench posted:

I'm totally apathetic about politics but I just found out today one of my candidates was in the band Runrig so consider my vote cast.

For or against?

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.

Al-Saqr posted:

I gotta say looking at that graph seriously gently caress the SNP they've completely delivered Britain to the tories, like what the gently caress chances does labour have if the best they can ever hope for is to lose not so badly to the Tories? it's like they lost a leg to Scotland.

This is really dumb but just in case you didn't know, Scottish returns almost never ever have any bearing on a GE. Labour wins if they win England.

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.
Nuttall is scared of Angus "big man in Westminster" Robertson.

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.
Ooft g'wan yersel Angus

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.
3-line whip coming back to bite Corbs, ouch.

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.
The clip of Big Angus having a go at Nuttall over right wing terrorism plz?

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.

HJB posted:

Wish I had that one Salmond billboard to hand.

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=m...iw=1147&bih=618

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.

kustomkarkommando posted:

The EU lost patience with Switzerland in like 2012 over the complexity of the bilateral arrangement has been engaged in an argument with them over free movement for the last few years - I don't think they have an appetite for an a la carte 100 treaty relationship with the uk

The Masseneinwanderungsinitiative was massively stupid but because the Bundesrat is actually competent, they agreed on a superficial compromise and nothing really changed. There was a referendum to limit immigration from EU countries that passed, the federal council sat on it for a bit, then went to Brussels and agreed with the EU that they could "meet" the referendum result by passing a law that allowed Swiss employers to prioritise Swiss residents, which has no real impact because the trade unions negotiate minimum wage on behalf of all residents, not just Swiss citizens, and life went on.

• Locked thread