Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005
Police statement released.

19 confirmed dead. Around 50 others injured. Currently being treated as a terrorist incident until police know otherwise.

https://twitter.com/gmpolice/status/866808564316344321

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

baka kaba posted:

We don't know if it's even an attack yet

19 people are dead, a second device has been detonated in a controlled explosion and armed police dragged someone out of a car.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

Pittsburgh Lambic posted:

or alternately,

https://twitter.com/gmpolice/status/866816910612103169

this is still kind of uncertain af

Popped up on the BBC just as I posted that, but I think performing a controlled explosion at such short notice is indicative of them already having seen one real device. I think it's incredibly safe to assume an actual bomb has gone off.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

baka kaba posted:

Here's some alternative explanations: there was a panic in a crowded venue; that's what happens when you find suspicious things in this kind of situation; that's a normal night out in Manchester

The police are treating it as a terrorist incident. The police have seen the injuries people have and the inside of the arena. They are unlikely to look at people with crush injuries and blame terrorism.

baka kaba posted:

Why would they wait around? Here's some other things our police have detonated in controlled explosions: a car one of them parked outside a police station, and I want to say a kebab

Suspect packages usually spend (comparatively) long cordoned off while people hem and haw. They don't blow up abandoned coats with a ten minute warmup.

baka kaba posted:

I mean I know a bunch of non-regulars are rushing in here to go IT'S TERROR CHRIS but nobody knows poo poo right now, and all they hype is loving things up

I pop back in here when big things happen because I got bored of reading people bitching back and forwards with pissflaps on every page. Non regulars hurrr. How many posts do I need for my opinions to be valid :rolleyes: We do know some things, but people are absolutely desperate for it to not be a bomb and I don't get it. I'm not screaming "It's must be Muslims!! hang em all!! saint nigel!!"

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005
The police are literally calling it an explosion :psyduck:

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

TheRat posted:

And as we know, explosions never cause panic and never leads to stampedes?

Absolutely. I have no doubt that some of the injuries and even deaths are as a result of people fighting to get out. I'm just not buying that its not a bomb.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

Rakosi posted:

I got a month probation after the westminster attack for highlighting how the preoccupation of most posters in the aftermath, at least from what their posts showed, were their preferences of politically ideal perpetrator. "Please don't be a brown person", "please don't be a bomb", etc... are pretty normal around here because this thread is about politics above anything else, in general.

Thanks for the heads up.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

Regarde Aduck posted:

Quit the tag team poo poo.

Tag team? That is the first time I've ever interacted with Rakosi. :stare:

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

baka kaba posted:

You're confused about why people don't want this to be a bombing?

The non-regulars thing was more about Americans rolling in to tell us the scoop from their terrible news channels, but the thread is suddenly hot at like 1am with people who definitely know it's a bomb. The police are treating it as a terrorist incident until they know otherwise - their words. You realise that means they're not confirming it as such, they're just operating as if it is, right? Which includes blowing up coats or whatever in the little park round the corner instead of waiting around for no reason

I'm sorry that my shift work pattern makes my late night opinion unpopular, I guess.

The police are treating it as as terrorist attack based on the injuries and crime scene they've seen. I don't get why this thread knows better.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

baka kaba posted:

https://twitter.com/gmpolice/status/866808564316344321?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

Treating it as terrorism until we know it isn't = it's absolutely definitely terrorism 🤔

Can you not accept that the police inside the venue have a good idea of what happened? People being interviewed are saying the floor is covered in buts, bolts and nails. Others are saying people have burn marks on their clothes.

EDIT:

buckets of buckets posted:

Toxx for islamic terror

I'll happily toxx for it being a bomb planted by a human being. I've not said anything about motivations or groups because nothing has been reported about that.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

baka kaba posted:

I don't think anyone's disputing there was an explosion chief. We're just hoping it wasn't a bomb

Yes, it was a coincidental explosion at the exit of the event just as people started to leave.

EDIT:

baka kaba posted:

Here's some alternative explanations: there was a panic in a crowded venue; that's what happens when you find suspicious things in this kind of situation; that's a normal night out in Manchester

What happened to this alternative explanation? You seemed to be angling for it just being a panicked stampede earlier.

TTerrible fucked around with this message at 02:46 on May 23, 2017

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

baka kaba posted:

So coincidental evidence then? Like I said, nobody knows what's happened, until we get an official statement it's purely speculation

The people who know what happened are treating it as a terrorist incident.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

baka kaba posted:

Somewhere hakimashou sheds a single tear

They're convening COBRA at 9am. You should probably let them know it isn't neccesary as Greater Manchester police haven't tweeted "confirmed" yet.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

Skinty McEdger posted:

COBRA gets convened whenever there's any large scale crisis, which this obviously is. It doesn't confirm anything one way or the other.

Cool.

baka kaba and I are talking past each other. The goalposts are being moved from "it's not an explosion" to "it's an explosion, but not a bomb"

If the calls not to hype things up and assume it was a terrorist attack had come in the first 15 minutes I'd have been in total agreement. What I can't wrap my head around is the hangup over Great Manchester police tweeting "confirmed: terrorism" given all the eye witness reports, videos, etc. This is the poo poo that gives D&D the reputation it has.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

TheRat posted:

Can you take your morbid bomb-wanking back to gbs?

I don't actually want it to be a bomb you prick. I just want people to stop being completely ridiculous.

Also, I posted in here first because I thought it would be a sensible place to discuss it. Wowzer.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

Trickjaw posted:

You first.

Yes, its me the person that believes it was a deliberate bomb being ridiculous.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

endlessmonotony posted:

You believe but don't know, and your guessing helps nobody.

It's completely reasonable to assume its a terrorist attack given the reporting. I'm pushing back against being spoken to like i'm a loving idiot for doing so.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

TheRat posted:

Not idiot. oval office.

I'm a oval office because I can look at the reports coming out of Manchester and corrently deduce that it was a bomb. Are you aware that I didn't plant it, or want it to be a bomb?

Perhaps we could try having a discussion about the event rather than trying to work out who is technically correct about what is confirmed by Greater Manchester polices twitter account.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

TheRat posted:

Hm, yes, I definitely believe you're here for a serious debate after reading your posts in GBS. You''re totally not a massive oval office wanking over bombs, no sir.

I posted in here first and got shat on so then posted in GBS out of frustration. I came to this thread to keep up with commentary on it because historically UKMT has been good to read during this kind of stuff.

shrike82 posted:

I guess you weren't around the past few terrorist incidents but UKMT has a tendency of viewing these incidents as potential threats to leftism/Corbyn, and reacting as such.

This is loving pathetic behaviour.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

endlessmonotony posted:

If you don't like being spoken to like you're a loving idiot, you might want to try not being a loving idiot.

We don't know what the hell is going on yet, and "a random idiot on SA" isn't a very reliable source.

Everything I've based my opinion on has been from the police or eyewitnesses. That makes me a loving idiot?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

endlessmonotony posted:

Yes, because they're guesses. Guesses are not good information, which is what this thread requires.

Here is some factual, confirmed information:

There was an explosion.
The police are treating it as a terrorist incident.
Eyewitnesses report shrapnel injuries.
Eyewitnesses report nuts, bolts, screws in the area of the explosion.
Police carried out a controlled explosion on a suspect package that turned out to be discarded clothes.
The explosion happened in the foyer.
The foyer was the main exit for the event.
The explosion happened as people were leaving.
Counter terrorism units have responded.
The prime ministers statement was: "We are working to establish the full details of what is being treated by the police as an appalling terrorist attack."

I am a loving idiot oval office bomb fetishist for taking any of this to mean it may have been a bomb intentionally planted to injure people.

• Locked thread