Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

Ah the sex number, very nice.

Also:

https://twitter.com/BrianElects/status/859135427432853504

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

More police are poo poo, good on Diane for taking the bullet and making it about her and not reinforcing the Special Patrol Group.

Sort of joking but with tons of crime now being cyber crime just having more police around won't do anything.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

Spuckuk posted:

Fair point, but you can do lovely things to flank while keeping it pink.

gently caress me I want bbq now.

https://youtu.be/amKyA2PrSu4

Also I'm vegetarian and all you are terrible.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

Wondering how bad UKIP and the Tories are going to be in the next 2 years.

Pissflaps posted:

The most watched video on this YouTube channel has one thousand views.

Because it's probably part of a wider media launch and so will be being shared on facebook and twitter rather than directing people to YouTube.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

Alchenar posted:

Do we not count that time in 1988 he announced he was organising a leadership challenge?

Just running for leadership isn't undermining the party, deliberately acting in an organised fashiom in ways which damage the party in its operations and media image while constantly searching your own ranks for a replacement because you don't actually think anyone specifically would be better you just can't stand the current leader is though.

https://twitter.com/jmsclee/status/859336320803590144

namesake fucked around with this message at 15:38 on May 2, 2017

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

Skinty McEdger posted:

In a fit of rage following his trolling this afteroon Bryn Phillips has announced he's standing as an independent in Sidcup to oppose the hard left Labour party.

He literally got trolled by twitter into standing as an mp.

Yikes, this is definitely going to be the biggest unforced error this election.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-39784170 posted:

Brexit: Theresa May says she'll be 'bloody difficult' to Juncker

Bloody difficult to watch or hear speak as well.

I really hope this EU dinner thing keeps going or gets bigger with another disaster meeting, just keep chipping away at the soundbites. Eventually it's got to drive any pro-EU Tory to either election apathy or outright madness.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

OwlFancier posted:

I'm the twerking class.

Guavanaut posted:

Where does that go in the Marxian model?

Center stage obviously.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

Angepain posted:

I see the Guardian are trying really really hard to make Chipsgate a Thing

It's dumb and they shouldn't, both because it is dumb and because as politically irrelevant as it would be, it's nice to have a real double standard in the press to point to.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

OwlFancier posted:

He's not very centrist other than the bit where he is actually a social democrat.

That's a pretty :psyduck: statement right there.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

OwlFancier posted:

He's centrist if you include tankies, like the tories are centrist if you include military juntas.

No I mean I agree, his platform is a pacifist social democrat (welfare state for my country, you arrange your part of the world yourself, let's negotiate all the joint stuff). His radicalism, his non-centrism only goes as far as that platform does and the fact that the far left has rallied around him since he entered the leadership contest.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

OwlFancier posted:

And I would suggest that because we live in a nominal democracy, and will continue to do so for the forseeable future, it is a bit silly to restrict the use of the political axis across the actual major political participants because they're all, relatively speaking, in the middle of the axis if you extend the axis to include libertarian dystopia-turned-effective-monarchy and revolutionary anarcho communist syndicalist free association utopia.

Okay but abandoning objective assessment of political platforms and turning it purely relative to the moment normalises all the shifts to the right we've had and creates stupid sentences like 'The Tory candidate, running on the left compared to the UKIP candidate for this seat'. There's still plenty of subjectivity involved in saying what the centre is but it has to be defined and parties move around it rather than it move with the parties.

JFairfax posted:

I hope this backfires spectacularly

It'll come out that she stamped on a weasel or something in her kitten heels or a kitten in weasel heels.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

Pissflaps posted:

More from that poll earlier:

So half of people intending to vote Labour are only prepared to do so for as long as labour winning the election seems unlikely. Because of Jeremy Corbyn.

In other words, if labour were somehow able to increase their 28% poll share to an election winning position of, say, 40%, they'd immediately lose at least 14% of those who say they'll vote for them.

Jeremy Corbyn is uniquely toxic to the electorate.

This doesn't say that at all when you see the other responses.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

Looke posted:

I believe in the Honourable Pissflaps MP

Leader of the Opposition Pissflaps gets hit in the face with the ceremonial mace 4 questions into his first Prime Ministers Questions.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

Pissflaps posted:

I think that as time goes on the 'divorce bill' will morph into an amount of money we contribute on an ongoing basis to the EU in return for some of the benefits of membership.

Almost inevitably if there is a transition arrangement beyond the two years.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

Malcolm XML posted:

That study says nothing new; its long been known that you gotta keep up with the Joneses rather than being absolutely wealthy to be happy

Yeah but anyone claiming a sort of utilitarian approach to social organisation should immediately start using it as evidence that private wealth should be taxed massively and distributed to the poor as it makes the poor materially better off, it makes the middle classes relatively better off compared to the rich and only the very small number of very rich see no benefit at all.

So it has to be effectively ignored until a sociologist or journalist writes something about it and then it's treated as a great surprise and then ignored again.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

Last one:

https://twitter.com/BrianElects/status/859843282427314176

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

It was good enough for my Cholera-afflicted ancestors and so it's good enough for me!

Sewers sound awfully French to me!

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

Voted for a Labour member in county council (good luck in this sea of blue!) and scattershotted 11 members out of 15 for local council after trying to remember which 11 were on the slip of paper that was posted through my door. Sorry if my wayward votes screw up the local superteam!

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

MikeCrotch posted:

The count doesn't start till 10am tomorrow.

Returns from GOTV around Nottingham today seemed pretty good, obviously there is a lot of Nottinghamshire outside of Nottingham though. Currently it's Labour controlled but not Labour majority.

Depending how quick their data collection outside the polling is processed (checking poll cards against historical voting records) they can get a vague idea of whose supporters have come out.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

Very sensible considering there's another election next month.

Also I'm a little annoyed to constantly see UKIP results as 'heavy' rather than 'total' losses. I guess it's to not need to change it if they actually hold onto a seat somewhere, but come on!

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

Robot Mil posted:

So basically UKIP bled a lot of support from Labour over the past few years, and now they are useless, the voters who used to vote Labour (or other parties) are now switching over to the Tories?

Nah UKIP always drew most heavily from active Tory voters who are going back to them, Labour lost their base to apathy or nationalist parties or Greens after New Labour and hasn't recovered.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

This is not true btw, the guy seems to be lying, bad at maths or not linking the full results.

Also another lie, but this is just funny:

quote:

With the Lib Dems currently on 10 seats, leader Tim Farron said: "These results tell a clear and stark message.

"Labour has collapsed. They cannot win the general election.

"If you want a strong opposition to this government, we are the party for you."

The party claimed they were on course to win "scores" of seats.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

Undead Hippo posted:

Sadly, yes. Looking at this from the perspective of building a winning coalition, it's largely Corbyn's fault. The Tories feel safe on the centre, so have rhetorically gone after the right wing voters who had been choosing UKIP. Early indications are that this is working really loving well. If Jeremy Corbyn wasn't Labour leader, then the Tories would have to contend with the possibility of their centrist voters deserting them if they went too right wing. But as it stands, the Tories have maintained their centrist coalition and cannibalized their right wing rivals. It shouldn't have been possible to do both, but Corbyn (and the anaemic Lib-Dems) allowed them to by not presenting a credible centrist alternative.

This would all be fine if the big initial hope of Corbyn, that he would energize a mass of disengaged and disenfranchised, had come up good. There's a big enough mass of non-voters that large scale changes in engagement patterns could change the electoral math considerably. But that dream died in the 2016 local elections. When that became clear, Corbyn became at best dead weight, and at worst an active electoral danger.

There's a bigger danger lurking beyond. If the Tories succeed in turning UKIP into a stub, they're sitting pretty in the future. Because instead of a split right and a split left, we'll see a united right and a split left. The Tories can ignore the right wing, pander to centrists and marginals, and continue their low key campaign of wanton civil destruction for fun and profit, unable to be opposed effectively by the half dozen left of centre opponents who are also competing with each other.

I still suspect that after an election or two the right will split between the outright nationalists and the capitalist wings: nothing has been resolved and Brexit will probably be a sore spot for all of them no matter what the final arrangements will be. Lack of electoral opposition from Labour (hopefully they'd still be providing ideological opposition) will embolden this urge as well.

namesake fucked around with this message at 14:56 on May 5, 2017

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

It'll be more money to surgeries (maybe council mental health units) budgets for staffing but no changes at all to training or supply of staff. Since it'll be temporary funding or at least a temporary increase in a period of cuts it'll be spent entirely on temporary or locum staff because no finance department will approve anything else and the general impact will be minimal.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

Namtab posted:

You want another civil war?

Remember them floating the idea that newly qualified GPS will have to do mandatory service to the nhs for a set period and/or until student debts are cleared. It'll be that. Indentured servitude

Frankly I'm cool with that, medicine is about serving the greater public good. I've heard anecdotes of first year students being told that if they're studying medicine to get rich then they should change degree immediately and I think that's responsible and reasonable tutelage. Society should support the individual in achieving their hopes and asks that the individual contribute back to others around them. I'm saddened that currently that'll mean asking far more from the worker than is necessary to pay the capitalist but I can't disagree on principle.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

^^^^Tory Thunderdome but it's a country

The Tories look to be keeping their impossible promise of net migration to tens of thousands so abolish all borders now because borders kill.

However Labour will probably talk mostly about protecting the rights of EU citizens here to be allowed to remain, tackling gang masters and the seasonal labour force and if they've got any sense keeping immigration levels at whatever level is necessary to keep the NHS fully staffed.

namesake fucked around with this message at 11:39 on May 8, 2017

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

DaWolfey posted:

They aren't debating each other. It'll be (presumably) 30 minutes with May, then 30 minutes with Corbyn
She'll be Strong and Stable all the way through.

Well that could potentially be worse if she's unable to say anything else for 30 minutes. A proper debate would at least let her rephrase it every few minutes.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

Gonzo McFee posted:

Remember when we thought Watson was good when he was pissing off Murdoch?

If he'd kept treating the press as a bigger enemy than Corbyn then he, Corbyn and the Labour Party in general would be doing much better.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

Darth Walrus posted:

There's a UKMT redtexter with a very strange sense of humour.

You're telling me.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

While vaguery and uncertainty denies Labour options like that they'd be unlikely to gain more than they lose by appearing to move closer to the Tories on that and piss off Remainers. Labour campaigned for Remain, represents many areas which voted both ways and from the get go have taken a position of reluctantly following the result of the vote. Straying from that difficult position will only hurt them more right now.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

ookiimarukochan posted:

Income != Wealth - and I hope you mean "highest" not "higher" as 33k a year does not make you "rich" anywhere in the country.

It makes you above average so definitely in the rich range, although I guess the whole point of this discussion is that there isn't a definitive fixed point. Which is why Marxist analysis is better because you have to argue over pretty discrete categories (what capital is owned and how is it used) rather than just whether a £ notation is meaningful.

namesake fucked around with this message at 18:08 on May 10, 2017

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

ShaneMacGowansTeeth posted:

Have the Tories actually announced any policies they are looking to implement apart from pledging to turn the Brexit negotiations into some sort of S&M party?

A strong stable for the fox hunting hounds.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

Hahah, wow I hope that's real.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

Oberleutnant posted:

Okay new plan: disenfranchise everybody except me.

No me.

One man, one vote. I am the man and I have the vote.

1983: Official birth of the Internet and the re-election of Thatcher. Humanity never recovers.

namesake fucked around with this message at 14:20 on May 11, 2017

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

learnincurve posted:

What if the people you don't like starts throwing money at the press, and runs online campaigns with celebrities and whatnot involved aimed directly at an enormous demographic known to be gullible, politically innocent, and easily manipulated by their peers?

We get Brexit?

You're right though, I don't want Pepe Longstockings from the 'Hitler did nothing wrong' party to get 5% of the vote.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

sassassin posted:

If everyone's stupid how come all you geniuses are so poor?

I'm stupid in a different way.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

Oberleutnant posted:

I was a complete oval office when i was 16

And when i was 17, come to think of it

And when is your 18th birthday coming up? :v:

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

Regarde Aduck posted:

It's gonna be bad. They're already talking about fox hunting which was political poison until... well right now, so I expect bringing back capital punishment is not far behind.

Being pro-death penalty was the strongest indicator of voting Leave so yeah, it's in the works. It all fits together.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

hakimashou posted:

What exactly is so wrong with fox hunting except that "its for rich people" ?

It's awful, cruel and pointless, much like your posting

• Locked thread