Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

EmptyVessel posted:

Show your working. e:Pretty sure that a large number of Tory voters are going to be younger than me

And you really think that young folks haven't been calling old folks cunts for the same time? Precious.

Go look up the demographics of Leave voters? Consistently, older equals more Leave voters, it's not controversial.

Edit: 86'd. Like our economy is gonna be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

I have NEVER received the respect I deserve as the leader and founder of The Masterflock, the internet's largest and oldest Christopher Masterpiece fan group in all of history, and I DEMAND that changes. From now on, you will respect Skinty McEdger!

OwlFancier posted:

Like it's kind of damning:

code:
Age       Con   Lab    Lib     UKIP   Green
18-24 	  27 	 43 	5 	8 	8 	
25-34 	  33 	 36 	7 	10 	7 	
35-44 	  35 	 35 	10 	10 	4 	
45-54 	  36 	 33 	8 	14 	4 	
55-64 	  37 	 31 	9 	14      2 	
65+ 	  47   	 23 	8 	17      2 	 
Votes from 2015.

Statistical true fact: Olds vote Con and Kip, Youngs vote Labour and Green.

Olds vote to gently caress Youngs.

Like your not poo poo: poo poo ratios basically invert over the course of the age groups.

If you break down 65+ even further the very old swing left in a big way and is more comparable to the 25-34 bracket, though obviously they don't number that highly.

EmptyVessel
Oct 30, 2012

OwlFancier posted:

Like it's kind of damning:

code:
Age       Con   Lab    Lib     UKIP   Green
18-24 	  27 	 43 	5 	8 	8 	
25-34 	  33 	 36 	7 	10 	7 	
35-44 	  35 	 35 	10 	10 	4 	
45-54 	  36 	 33 	8 	14 	4 	
55-64 	  37 	 31 	9 	14      2 	
65+ 	  47   	 23 	8 	17      2 	 
Votes from 2015.

Statistical true fact: Olds vote Con and Kip (apart from those that don't), Youngs vote Labour and Green (apart from those that don't).

Like your not poo poo: poo poo ratios basically invert over the course of the age groups.

Fixed. Now break them down by income and location.
Hint: Wealth tends to vote Tory, and is also more likely to live longer..

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Skinty McEdger posted:

If you break down 65+ even further the very old swing left in a big way and is more comparable to the 25-34 bracket, though obviously they don't number that highly.

the very old were actually alive during WW2 and got to see the creation of the NHS

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

Skinty McEdger posted:

Yeah it's not so much "olds are poo poo" as "a lot of baby boomers are poo poo".

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I can believe that, those who actually had to live and remember the consequences of the second world war might have a proper appreciation for what was achieved since then.

But alas they are dying quickly, while the people born shortly after them are apparently insufferable cunts who do nothing of value but vote to gently caress us all up constantly.

EmptyVessel posted:

Fixed. Now break them down by income and location.
Hint: Wealth tends to vote Tory, and is also more likely to live longer..

I mean, if you want to suggest banning rich people, or tories from voting I would also be fine with that. It doesn't actually alter the fact that there is a pretty loving big divide between the old and the young in this country and that the old consistently vote against the interests of the young despite it being us who have to loving live with the consequences of their stupid loving opinions.

I still don't see anything to indicate that the world would not, apparently be improved if you just banned everyone over 55 from voting.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 19:17 on May 11, 2017

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Ban people over (insert age here) from Politics.

thehappyprince
Apr 4, 2006

Alastair Cock

i see the labour right have piped up to add a bit of the ol' triangulating racism to the immigration part of the manifesto. should be good for around zero ukip votes.

c0burn
Sep 2, 2003

The KKKing
Some unfunny oval office on the One Show just compared Corbyn to Trump what the gently caress

Tigey
Apr 6, 2015

Trump also faced a barrage of media hostility from day one

I think the similarities end there

EmptyVessel
Oct 30, 2012

OwlFancier posted:

I still don't see anything to indicate that the world would not, apparently be improved if you just banned everyone over 55 from voting.

Or only allow urban voters since rural tend Tory.
How about banning English voters? They tend to be more Tory too. Cunts.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I would be fine with banning rich country cunts. And English cunts if that wouldn't mean we actually ended up with the loving SNP running the country.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

Tigey posted:

Trump also faced a barrage of media hostility from day one

I think the similarities end there

Nah the media loved Trump because he's reliable for the kinds of ludicrous statements that shift copy, even if talking heads were critical of him it's a very different relationship to the one with Corbyn.

EmptyVessel
Oct 30, 2012

OwlFancier posted:

I would be fine with banning rich country cunts. And English cunts if that wouldn't mean we actually ended up with the loving SNP running the country.

If the bloody English hadn't kept voting for Thatcher the SNP wouldn't be what they are now - so it's your own fault.
Based on figures here we should just ban anyone earning over £20k a year. Which I'm fine with.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

EmptyVessel posted:

If the bloody English hadn't kept voting for Thatcher the SNP wouldn't be what they are now - so it's your own fault.
Based on figures here we should just ban anyone earning over £20k a year. Which I'm fine with.

"People who read the Telegraph" is a more sure bet.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

haakman posted:

I was quoting something awful forums user Goddamnedtwisto. I didn't know that was the original provenance of the source, so thanks!

I loving wish I could write that well - I assumed when I used that, that it was well-known enough on SA that I didn't need to attribute it.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
Do the tories have a manifesto at all yet?

I expect to see highlights like "Take back Suez" and "bring back hanging" to really nail the old vote in.

Undead Hippo
Jun 2, 2013

Firos posted:

Other than fox hunting and the fuel price cap, I don't think I could even name another Tory policy. And I'm quite interested in politics. Is it just me being oblivious?

Announced policies for all the parties (Not including the stuff from the leaked manifesto)

The Tories definitely aren't giving out much.

EmptyVessel
Oct 30, 2012

OwlFancier posted:

"People who read the Telegraph" is a more sure bet.

Doubt any of them earn under £20k a year though.

Benjamin Arthur
Nov 7, 2012

learnincurve posted:

:shrug: I have qualifications and 15 years of experience in this field. I know there is a huge difference mentally between 18 year olds and 16 year olds, should 16 year olds be allowed to have children? not really. But can you stop them having sex? No. But as the risk of life or health threatening injury owing to pregnancy or abortion is relatively low at 16, all making it illegal would do is land a load of teenagers in prison or put them on lists.
That does not mean that because we do this one wrong thing we should do this other wrong thing as well, it's a completely seperate issue.

I think the more pressing issue compared to sex is that 17 year olds are eligible to pay tax and join the armed forces, and hence deserve representation.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

EmptyVessel posted:

Doubt any of them earn under £20k a year though.

Until quite recently the Telegraph had a surprising amount of CDE readers because it's sports coverage was ridiculously better than any other paper (with the possible exception of the Morning Star, depending on what sports you were interested in). The Barclays did for that almost as soon as they took over though.

Seaside Loafer
Feb 7, 2012

Waiting for a train, I needed a shit. You won't bee-lieve what happened next

EmptyVessel posted:

The message there is stupid old rich raciest bastards vote conservative (apart from a bit when some of them ukip'd). Im kinda old and it has always been this way in my lifetime. Dont look like changing until all the cunts die does it.

EmptyVessel
Oct 30, 2012

Seaside Loafer posted:

The message there is stupid old rich raciest bastards vote conservative (apart from a bit when some of them ukip'd). Im kinda old and it has always been this way in my lifetime. Dont look like changing until all the cunts die does it.

And if we'd thought that in the 80s we'd be feeling pretty bloody stupid now wouldn't we?

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Until quite recently the Telegraph had a surprising amount of CDE readers because it's sports coverage was ridiculously better than any other paper (with the possible exception of the Morning Star, depending on what sports you were interested in). The Barclays did for that almost as soon as they took over though.

they had to disable the comments on articles from paul hayward because he'd get into arguments with people in them

haakman
May 5, 2011

goddamnedtwisto posted:

I loving wish I could write that well - I assumed when I used that, that it was well-known enough on SA that I didn't need to attribute it.

Don't be too negative. You make enjoyable effort posts which I like to read.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

Benjamin Arthur posted:

I think the more pressing issue compared to sex is that 17 year olds are eligible to pay tax and join the armed forces, and hence deserve representation.

17 year olds should absolutely not have to pay tax. my argument would be that if you are under 19 (the cut off for child tax credits) then you shouldn't pay tax. On the job training or getting on the employment ladder after school is just as valid as going on to further education so it's outrageous that families should be punished for it. Armed forces at 17 is a tricky one because they provide training and qualifications alongside accommodation and wages, so you can see why it's an attractive prospect for a lot of kids.

Acaila
Jan 2, 2011

I'm pro votes at 16, and one reason I think it's a good idea is that for the many kids still in education at that age, it's a good captive audience for them to learn about politics. How do you get interested in politics if you're 18/19/20 by the time you first vote if you're not already interested in it?

On a related note, I ended up talking about Corbyn to some 15/16 year olds today. They seem a lot more positive about him than the last time I ended up talking politics with some youths (only one said that he seems very nice jam man but that doesn't mean he's who you'd want winning the country).

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel
Corbyn's big plan is to let children vote?

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

hakimashou posted:

Corbyn's big plan is to let children vote?

gently caress off you piece of poo poo genocide cheerleader

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

I have NEVER received the respect I deserve as the leader and founder of The Masterflock, the internet's largest and oldest Christopher Masterpiece fan group in all of history, and I DEMAND that changes. From now on, you will respect Skinty McEdger!

jBrereton posted:

Do the tories have a manifesto at all yet?

I expect to see highlights like "Take back Suez" and "bring back hanging" to really nail the old vote in.

They haven't even announced a date when it will come out yet. Everyone's best guess is about two weeks before.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
It's gonna be bad. They're already talking about fox hunting which was political poison until... well right now, so I expect bringing back capital punishment is not far behind.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

Regarde Aduck posted:

It's gonna be bad. They're already talking about fox hunting which was political poison until... well right now, so I expect bringing back capital punishment is not far behind.

Being pro-death penalty was the strongest indicator of voting Leave so yeah, it's in the works. It all fits together.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

Regarde Aduck posted:

What exactly is so wrong with fox hunting except that "its for rich people" ?

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

hakimashou posted:

What exactly is so wrong with fox hunting except that "its for rich people" ?

It's awful, cruel and pointless, much like your posting

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

*sharpens katana* a private psychologist?

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

namesake posted:

Being pro-death penalty was the strongest indicator of voting Leave so yeah, it's in the works. It all fits together.

I know the Tories were doing polling last year on the popularity of a referendum on the death penalty amongst their base so I do fully expect that to get put in somewhere as it fits their mo. Which pretty much would gently caress every one of our extradition treaties.

If there's one loving thing I do not want to have a referendum over it's the death penalty.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

OwlFancier posted:

learnincurve posted:

There is no discernible difference between the maturity of a 16 year old and a 15 year old

Hmm, you might be onto something here.

-

But no seriously learnincurve doesn't even get the science he's referring to. Teenager brains aren't mature, true, but the brain maturing doesn't actually help with problems of a societal scale - the opposite, really, it just makes people scared of upsetting the status quo even if it is poo poo. Which results in the people who want a change by far and large being people too stupid to see the consequences of what they want, or people actively being shafted by the current status quo. Or both, often. All teenagers are idiots, but at least they could be clever and flexible enough to come up with actual solutions.

The :downswords: is that brain maturing mostly helps with your ability to put things in their proper context and to emotionally regulate properly. This doesn't actually help if you're just fine assuming your social circles / the media give you the more-or-less-the-truth and then never actually verifying your thoughts are not full of gently caress from biased sources. Or you're just spiteful. So basically Tory voters have a mature brain, and then entirely skip using any of the advantages it brings. Garbage in, garbage out.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

The only thing worse than the private psychologist is people arguing about how the brain of a teen works.

E: I'm on the side of 16yos shouldn't shag, vote, get taxed etc

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Unlike cheese, I do not believe maturity improves the brain.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
I would definitely have voted at 16 and I think it's a good idea

• Locked thread