Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Sakurazuka posted:

Mine is watching Megaman speedruns

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kke4PqiwyyI

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Zaggitz posted:

Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky the 3rd will be out May 3rd, OP.

Still not in the OP... disgraceful

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
I want to play Injustice 2 but I want to play Rev 2.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Dapper_Swindler posted:

Looks cool, but I suck at soul games. So this month will just be prey and backlog for me.

I'm not very good at Souls games either but the combat looks to have a little bit more of a CAG edge to it with dodge frames and witch time.

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
Does everyone focus on one game at a time, juggle a bunch of games at once, or buy games but just go back to dota 2/overwatch/rocket league/etc

I focus on one game at a time

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I can only play one game at a time, or maybe like 2 multiplayer games at a time if it's something like Overwatch and the matches are quick.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Lakbay posted:

Does everyone focus on one game at a time, juggle a bunch of games at once, or buy games but just go back to dota 2/overwatch/rocket league/etc

Almost always one game at a time. If I try to switch off one usually ends up grabbing me more than the other so I end up finishing it first.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Buglord
I'm too stupid to be able to keep switching between two different control schemes so it's one game at a time.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I tend to try and juggle games but usually end up focusing on one anyway.

DOUBLE CLICK HERE
Feb 5, 2005
WA3

Regy Rusty posted:

Still not in the OP... disgraceful

hosed up, OP.

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

Lakbay posted:

At any time I am active in like eight games that I will cycle through. I will primarily focus on like three but will pick at the others until they drift into the main three.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I've probably failed in my quest to finish Trails SC by Wednesday because I got distracted by Bioshock of all things.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

I'm just now getting to Yakuza 0.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Oh, NBA Playgrounds comes out May 9. I'm hoping it has some of the Jam magic and is not just a cheap cash-in
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oIeXzgUa-go

It kinda looks like something that should've come out a generation or two ago, but that wouldn't matter if the gameplay resembles NBA Jam / Street.
Have there been any basketball games that rely on skill-based movements to do monster jams? Like a fighting game but basketball is what I'm trying to say. Because if not somebody should do that.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Buglord

Sakurazuka posted:

I've probably failed in my quest to finish Trails SC by Wednesday because I got distracted by Bioshock of all things.

I hear they're going to make one of these but set in space.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

StrixNebulosa posted:

On a less yea/nay stance I ask: what game that wasn't put out this year have you guys been enjoying most so far? Or do you folks here play exclusively new releases?

On my end I've been chained to Euro Truck Sim 2 again as it's soothing and great for podcasts, but I've also been dipping my toes into wargames with Panzer Corp and Ultimate General: Gettysburg. (Mostly 'cause I've been listening to a strategy game podcast and it convinced me to check these out.) I'm really, really bad at winning battles or wars, but it's fun to try, and I appreciate how easy these games are to pick up and play for a newbie.

Nuclear throne, which I've been playing sporadically since last last summer

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Oh also I play Guilty Gear like 3 times a week and have been doing so since Revelator came out

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

The Kins posted:

posting about videogames with varying levels of seriousness)

I'm always serious about videogames.

chumbler posted:

Jesus Christ I'm old.

:same:

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

I juggle a bunch of games and thus never finish any of them

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.
I preordered Prey :negative: The demo really clicked for me and I kept thinking about it over the weekend. The recent Deus Ex game left me wanting and I haven't played Dishonored 2 yet, but I'll take sci-fi over fantasy if I have to choose. I liked walking into a room and being rewarded for slowly examining the space instead of rushing through. Seeing two buckets next to a wet floor sign let me plan an attack in a way that's similar but very different to finding an enemy with his back to you. I also like that it eschews an xp system so there's no incentive to restrict yourself to half the tools available; DE always gives more xp for ghosting an area or for non-lethal takedowns, which meant that your loud and deadly moveset was a hindrance. In the Prey demo, exploration leds to items with tangible benefits, and even at the low end of the benefit spectrum is the ability to convert things into materials for fabricating ammo or medkits. My gripes are that I had to leave some locked safes and rooms unexplored because I couldn't find a way to open them, and that there aren't enough shortcut options for the controller (only three to cover melee, utility, ranged, and psi abilities). I know the rule about never preordering games, but I'm a sucker for that Amazon discount and I love System Shock.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Lakbay posted:

Usually one game, maybe two if there's something really good out that I want to play right away, which is why I have a backlog of games currently extending to things I bought on sale literal years ago and probably sell for the sales prices by default now.

I played a little bit of Dragon Quest 6 last night, so I guess that's going to be my next game now.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Saint Freak posted:

I hear they're going to make one of these but set in space.

With the rate of technological advancement in the Trails world I wouldn't be surprised.

:haw:

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe
I play one game at a time. But I sometimes play some overwatch/rocket league Whilst going through that game. And I keep buying games. I still have some sealed games I bought in 2014.

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

Sefal posted:

I play one game at a time. But I sometimes play some overwatch/rocket league Whilst going through that game. And I keep buying games. I still have some sealed games I bought in 2014.

I have accepted that my Backlog wins and will still buy cheap games I have though about playing some time maybe. I have entire game series that I haven't touched but are on my shelf, frowning at me for my neglect.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Oh also Hatsune Miku Project DIVA Future Tone I will pick up periodically. I basically have a bunch of games I can play for 30 minutes that I will check out when I have the time and depending on mood, but always one main game I dedicated larger time to (right now it's Persona 5)

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Jay Rust posted:

I juggle a bunch of games and thus never finish any of them

Argh :same:

LawfulWaffle posted:

I preordered Prey :negative: The demo really clicked for me and I kept thinking about it over the weekend. The recent Deus Ex game left me wanting and I haven't played Dishonored 2 yet, but I'll take sci-fi over fantasy if I have to choose. I liked walking into a room and being rewarded for slowly examining the space instead of rushing through. Seeing two buckets next to a wet floor sign let me plan an attack in a way that's similar but very different to finding an enemy with his back to you. I also like that it eschews an xp system so there's no incentive to restrict yourself to half the tools available; DE always gives more xp for ghosting an area or for non-lethal takedowns, which meant that your loud and deadly moveset was a hindrance. In the Prey demo, exploration leds to items with tangible benefits, and even at the low end of the benefit spectrum is the ability to convert things into materials for fabricating ammo or medkits. My gripes are that I had to leave some locked safes and rooms unexplored because I couldn't find a way to open them, and that there aren't enough shortcut options for the controller (only three to cover melee, utility, ranged, and psi abilities). I know the rule about never preordering games, but I'm a sucker for that Amazon discount and I love System Shock.

I'm more excited to hear what Mick Gordon has in store for the music. As a reminder he did the music for DOOM and the Killer Instinct reboot.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

codenameFANGIO posted:

I have accepted that my Backlog wins and will still buy cheap games I have though about playing some time maybe. I have entire game series that I haven't touched but are on my shelf, frowning at me for my neglect.

I've now stopped buying games unless I want to start playing them immediately, even if it's a really good deal... I just have too many goddamn games in my backlog at this point and what appears to be diminishing time to play them.

Still playing Persona 4- did they kinda rebalance any of the bosses in P4G? Teddie's shadow was an HP sponge that, while not actually too difficult, took forever to go down.

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe

Monkey Fracas posted:

I've now stopped buying games unless I want to start playing them immediately, even if it's a really good deal... I just have too many goddamn games in my backlog at this point and what appears to be diminishing time to play them.

Still playing Persona 4- did they kinda rebalance any of the bosses in P4G? Teddie's shadow was an HP sponge that, while not actually too difficult, took forever to go down.

I should start doing this too. Bonus is that is saves some money.
The thought of If I don't buy it now while it's on sale. It'll cost me more later has been really bad for me.

Pigbottom
Sep 23, 2007

Time is never wasted when you're wasted all the time.

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Oh, NBA Playgrounds comes out May 9. I'm hoping it has some of the Jam magic and is not just a cheap cash-in
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oIeXzgUa-go

That sounds pretty interesting. NBA jam was sooo fun.

suuma
Apr 2, 2009
I bought Nier:A, Nioh and Yakuza 0 in like January when Target had that b2g1 sale, then bought HZD and beat that before I started any of those.

I've since put like 4 hours into both Nioh and Yakuza 0 but keeping up with the Bloodborne thread has got me playing that once again, instead.

Nioh is good but hard because I keep trying to play it like it's Bloodborne :(.

I also had a kid in March so I only want to play things I know are good in my weekly 1.5 hours of available video game time.

Pigbottom
Sep 23, 2007

Time is never wasted when you're wasted all the time.

LawfulWaffle posted:

I haven't got to dishonored 2 also. What has been holding me back is that although I enjoyed the first one, but being forced to go non-lethal/full stealth in order to get one specific ending really put me off.

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
Tumbleseed comes out tomorrow for Switch, PS4, and Steam.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Theoretically, I'll have one single, huge open world game going at a time (right now it's the Witcher 3), and I'll play multiplayer with my friends and shorter genre games in between.

In practice I get paralyzed for choice and spend most of my weekends switching between the same threads on SA, watching stupid crap online, thinking I should just give up, reinstall STALKER and play nothing but STALKER, and maybe jumping into a multiplayer match of Titanfall 2. Then, with about an hour left before bed, I'll fire up a game and kick myself for not doing it earlier because wow this is a lot of fun.

It's a real problem. :(

Probably the one exception to this rule is the linear FPS, releases of which are few and far between these days. I'll typically devour those in a week or two because that is God's own genre.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hBL_dCxjocg

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!

Dr Cheeto posted:

Tumbleseed comes out tomorrow for Switch, PS4, and Steam.

I hope it's good, I'm planning to get it for the Switch

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

StrixNebulosa posted:

On a less yea/nay stance I ask: what game that wasn't put out this year have you guys been enjoying most so far? Or do you folks here play exclusively new releases?

The Witcher 3, which is destroying my life. Almost 60 hours in and I'd guess I've done half of the main plot, not counting the two expansions.

Lakbay posted:

Most of the time I'll cycle around 2 games or so , one slow - usually some sort of RPG or Point'n'Click - and one fast - Some action packed game like a FPS.

Unrelated: Reggies sheds some light on the discontinuation of the NES Classic

quote:

"We had originally planned for this to be a product for last holiday," Fils-Aimé told TIME. "We just didn't anticipate how incredible the response would be. Once we saw that response, we added shipments and extended the product for as long as we could to meet more of that consumer demand."

But Fils-Aime did suggest the reason why the company pulled the brakes on a system amidst unprecedented demand. "Even with that extraordinary level of performance, we understand that people are frustrated about not being able to find the system, and for that we really do apologize," he said. "But from our perspective, it's important to recognize where our future is and the key areas that we need to drive. We've got a lot going on right now and we don't have unlimited resources."

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

poo poo, even Reggie knows Nintendo's time is limited. They are DOOMED!

They're fine.

suuma
Apr 2, 2009
That seems silly, you'd think they'd continue to produce them in limited quantities until they reach market saturation. Or farm it out to another producer.

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe
I've been wondering, Has there been a game where midway, or at the end a party member betrays you and takes all the equipment they had equiped with them?
It would be a dickmove, but surely a developer has done this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

StrixNebulosa posted:

On my end I've been chained to Euro Truck Sim 2 again as it's soothing and great for podcasts, but I've also been dipping my toes into wargames with Panzer Corp and Ultimate General: Gettysburg. (Mostly 'cause I've been listening to a strategy game podcast and it convinced me to check these out.) I'm really, really bad at winning battles or wars, but it's fun to try, and I appreciate how easy these games are to pick up and play for a newbie.
Outside of this year's releases... I play and mod Doom 2 a lot because at this point it's basically routine, but outside of that I tend to play a few rounds of Tower of Archeos whenever I'm waiting for something or other. I'm starting to get a bit sick of it after 20 hours or so logged on Steam, mind... I might have to
play something else to take a break from it, go on a Tetris kick or something.

What are some other simple 'n' cheap puzzle games that came out recently? Preferably on PC. I mean, I could do mobile games, but the last thing I wanna do when I'm sitting at home is deal with "OH NO YOU LOST BUT IF YOU PRETEND TO WATCH THIS CONVENIENT AD WE'LL GIVE YOU A CONTINUE" nonsense. That poo poo's for busses and trains.

suuma posted:

That seems silly, you'd think they'd continue to produce them in limited quantities until they reach market saturation. Or farm it out to another producer.
If I had to pull a guess out of my rear end, I'd say that the cost of continued manufacture probably doesn't make it worth it, for one reason or another.

• Locked thread