Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Maybe I'll play Resident EVII_ this month

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Discount Viscount
Jul 9, 2010

FIND THE FISH!

The Kins posted:

What are some other simple 'n' cheap puzzle games that came out recently? Preferably on PC. I mean, I could do mobile games, but the last thing I wanna do when I'm sitting at home is deal with "OH NO YOU LOST BUT IF YOU PRETEND TO WATCH THIS CONVENIENT AD WE'LL GIVE YOU A CONTINUE" nonsense. That poo poo's for busses and trains.
If I had to pull a guess out of my rear end, I'd say that the cost of continued manufacture probably doesn't make it worth it, for one reason or another.

Not recent, really, but Divide by Sheep is pretty cool.

I also just found out about Simon Tatham's Puzzle Collection which is basically a free portable computer implementation of a bunch of puzzles of the kind found in newspapers/magazines (and puzzles in the same spirit, like Minesweeper and Samegame.) Someone bundled all of them for Android and it's on the Google Play store.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

The Simpsons conversation made me go and actually check episode lists to see where the show lost me and I distinctly remember the lame Tony Hawk episode which was apparently in season 14. I also scanned the other episodes in that season and like half of them have really lame celebrity cameos in them.

New Concept Hole
Oct 10, 2012

東方動的

Palpek posted:

VR training child soldiers. Kojima be praised!

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
The last episode of Simpsons I remember watching on TV is behind the laughter

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Palpek posted:

It's good to see that Polygon writer work up the courage to play more tense games.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

tap my mountain posted:

It's especially bad when you remember where Simpsons used to fall politically.

It'd be like South Park suddenly going all in against opinionless apaths.

The Simpsons was funny in spite of Matt Groening trying to totally stick it to suburban America, not because of it. His pre-Simpsons comics are absolutely insipid.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

Satire like many things works best when you keep your cards close.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Simpsons seasons 2-10 were pure gold (1 had some good episodes too but the first half of it suffered from both animators/writers still getting the hang of it). That's still a better run than most shows ever had.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Homer at the Bat is one of the greatest episodes of anything ever aired

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

corn in the bible posted:

No disgaea is good

I would say that this is objectively wrong

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

ah someone hates good thing (old simpsons). i'm dang shocked

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...
No, disgaea is good!

I just wanted to make this joke, I haven't actually played Disgaea for more than like an hour

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

The first turning point was when the people who grew up with the Golden Age of Simpsons took the reins and it became an echo of itself.

The second turning point was when the people who grew up with THOSE Simpsons took the reins

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

To elaborate: Disgaea is light and goofy and fun. If you have a serious range from Final Fantasy Tactics this is the opposite end, where Disgaea is goofy and anime and you play it to watch numbers go up. It's got charming animations/sprites/styles and the plot isn't the bad kind of anime, it's more of a kid's show in a sense. (Etna's design as an unfortunate aside)

So basically yes it is good. You might not like its style or humor, but there's a pleasant amount of stuff to do in it without too much grinding. It's a good time and I'm glad to own it.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

oddium posted:

ah someone hates good thing (old simpsons). i'm dang shocked

:thejoke:

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

I think I'll go with Disgaea 3, I've gotten through a good chunk of it before. Any tips? Skills I should rush, what monsters are worth using if any, stuff like that please

Serf
May 5, 2011

https://twitter.com/FriendlyRiposte/status/858786775602532352

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

In retrospect the :thejoke: emoji doesn't mean what it originally meant.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=llE7wT1BKt8

Now it's used to mean "Yes, dummy, that was the point" instead of "This dumb thing I said was meant to be funny"

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Guy Mann posted:

The Simpsons was funny in spite of Matt Groening trying to totally stick it to suburban America, not because of it. His pre-Simpsons comics are absolutely insipid.

If you're talking about Life in Hell, then you're wrong. What a shocker.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
The only solidly good thing to come from Simpsons lately have been the guest artist couch gags.

Poops Mcgoots
Jul 12, 2010

Lizard Wizard posted:

I think I'll go with Disgaea 3, I've gotten through a good chunk of it before. Any tips? Skills I should rush, what monsters are worth using if any, stuff like that please

Fist users are great due to their damage scaling off speed and getting a 3x3 skill in the form of big bang. Thieves are great for late game stuff since their steal chance caps out at 99%. Also, fuse a couple heavy knights since they get the longest throw range and can speed up item world runs significantly. Though most of this is only relevant in the post game, so if you're planning on just doing the story stuff, then you can basically do whatever.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

don't gaslight me

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Yep, that's bad. Their "Trump's First 100 Days" clip is pretty good though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qo3fT0xPeHs&hd=1

The "can't I have Fox News read it and then base my opinion on that" line is great

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Poops Mcgoots posted:

Fist users are great due to their damage scaling off speed and getting a 3x3 skill in the form of big bang. Thieves are great for late game stuff since their steal chance caps out at 99%. Also, fuse a couple heavy knights since they get the longest throw range and can speed up item world runs significantly. Though most of this is only relevant in the post game, so if you're planning on just doing the story stuff, then you can basically do whatever.

What do you mean "fuse"

Poops Mcgoots
Jul 12, 2010

Lizard Wizard posted:

What do you mean "fuse"

Sorry, wasn't really thinking. I just meant make a couple.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Should I just generally ignore monster classes or what? I can never tell which ones are good.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Lizard Wizard posted:

Should I just generally ignore monster classes or what? I can never tell which ones are good.

Genuinely use what you want. Short of the insane super high-end ultra-mega-godlike bosses you can make anything work and even for those it's possible to use monster classes.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

I'm really looking forward to Prey and my only gripe with it is that those shadow enemies could become tiring on longer stretches. I'd rather have regular humans possesed by them and the actual shadows only be present in special sections or something but we'll have to see how the full version ends up being.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Pigbottom posted:

I haven't got to dishonored 2 also. What has been holding me back is that although I enjoyed the first one, but being forced to go non-lethal/full stealth in order to get one specific ending really put me off.

2 is good, you can play more aggressively now and as long as your decent you will get by fine. my issue is the game is pretty short and kinda spins its wheels story wise, also this is my personal opinion, but it ruins alot of the mystery from the 1st. like you had to put stuff together in one and read extra stuff and scour for tidbits. in 2 they just exposition it. like they explain the outsider and the heart and other stuff. its not bad but i liked piecing stuff together and making theories.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Palpek posted:

I'm really looking forward to Prey and my only gripe with it is that those shadow enemies could become tiring on longer stretches. I'd rather have regular humans possesed by them and the actual shadows only be present in special sections or something but we'll have to see how the full version ends up being.

they have that too. their is this special type that controls living people and you can decide how to handle it.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Dapper_Swindler posted:

they have that too. their is this special type that controls living people and you can decide how to handle it.

If that takes the form of a pair of murder/rescue buttons, then "bioshock in space" really is the most accurate way to describe it

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

My friend's all "oh hey Thief is on sale should I get that?" and she means the modern thief and ehhhhhhh

I pointed her to Sleepy Dogs to at least have a comparison for what you can get for 6$.

Pigbottom
Sep 23, 2007

Time is never wasted when you're wasted all the time.

Dapper_Swindler posted:

2 is good, you can play more aggressively now and as long as your decent you will get by fine. my issue is the game is pretty short and kinda spins its wheels story wise, also this is my personal opinion, but it ruins a lot of the mystery from the 1st. like you had to put stuff together in one and read extra stuff and scour for tidbits. in 2 they just exposition it. like they explain the outsider and the heart and other stuff. it's not bad but I liked piecing stuff together and making theories.

I might pick it up in a sale at some point. Prey on the other hand, I wasn't really paying much attention to it but after the disappointment that was ME:A, I feel like I need some good sci-fi in my life right now.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

haveblue posted:

If that takes the form of a pair of murder/rescue buttons, then "bioshock in space" really is the most accurate way to describe it

no its not a little sister thing. its more like they are enimeies in the level and you can either kill them/evade them/maybe incapasitate or you kill the node monster and they are free.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Pigbottom posted:

I might pick it up in a sale at some point. Prey on the other hand, I wasn't really paying much attention to it but after the disappointment that was ME:A, I feel like I need some good sci-fi in my life right now.

yeah its ok and its fun as heck at times. but its not the greatest. but yeah i need some good sci-fi right now.

Scrublord Prime
Nov 27, 2007

Lizard Wizard posted:

ImpAtom's right, just keep in mind that monsters can't lift/throw and some geopuzzles are built around it. Caster monsters might not get the range/aoe bonus that humans do from staff weapon master either, idr about D3. Caster monsters have a history of being crappy in Disgaea, back in D1 there weren't even monster weapons with caster stats on it.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

StrixNebulosa posted:

My friend's all "oh hey Thief is on sale should I get that?" and she means the modern thief and ehhhhhhh

I pointed her to Sleepy Dogs to at least have a comparison for what you can get for 6$.

Thief 4 is one of those games where you hear the complaints about it and think "oh this must just be fans bitching because they changed their beloved series" but then you play it and realize no, it's actually just bad.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Apropos of nothing, anyone remember how the Five Nights At Freddies guy was going on about how his latest game was so sick and twisted that he couldn't in good conscience release it except then he did? Anything come of that, or was it a load of guff and self-manufactured controversy/marketing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

oddium posted:

don't gaslight me

tea jokes a lot.

Early Simpsons was good. I've watched a bunch recently and it still holds up amazingly well, so it's not all nostalgia. Around season 13 or 14 was when it became unwatchable bad.

bloodychill fucked around with this message at 22:48 on May 1, 2017

• Locked thread