Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

Monkey Fracas posted:

Ahhhh drat finally not having cable is biting me in the rear end. I really wanna watch this.

Might do that "ahhhh what the hell this is nothing like I imagined it would be based on my read of the book!!!! Bullshit!" thing... but I like the concepts from the book enough to give it a shot for sure.

I'm pretty sure it's on Amazon Prime Video so you really have no excuse now :v:

Also, I'm late to the chat but Heroes of the Storm related: Is it an actual good game or just not as bad as other MOBAs? The little details about it got me interested.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mutata
Mar 1, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 18 hours!
It's MOBA lite, but the stuff they took out are things that make people angry in other MOBAs so it's a bit more chill. That's what my friends that play it say, anyway.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XMnd0N9hYrE

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Mordja posted:

Apropos of nothing, anyone remember how the Five Nights At Freddies guy was going on about how his latest game was so sick and twisted that he couldn't in good conscience release it except then he did? Anything come of that, or was it a load of guff and self-manufactured controversy/marketing?

You mean the game that everybody ripped to poo poo so he released it totally for free and gave everybody refunds and aplogized?

I feel bad for that guy. Gamers can be really demanding sometimes :smith:

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

I think you mean, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g_8KzyBl3mc

god I wish this got a rerelease on Steam or something

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

That guy sounds like he'll fall asleep at any moment

...well, not anymore, I guess.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Zaphod42 posted:

You mean the game that everybody ripped to poo poo so he released it totally for free and gave everybody refunds and aplogized?

I feel bad for that guy. Gamers can be really demanding sometimes :smith:

No, it was the game after that. Him making the spinoff RPG free was more due to him being personally disappointed with the product than his fans complaining, that and he's already vastly wealthy off of the series so it's not like he's hurting for money.

He also gave the woman who ghostwrote the FNaF novel a named co-author credit right on the cover. He seems like a pretty decent dude.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Samuringa posted:

I'm pretty sure it's on Amazon Prime Video so you really have no excuse now :v:

Also, I'm late to the chat but Heroes of the Storm related: Is it an actual good game or just not as bad as other MOBAs? The little details about it got me interested.

I don't like MOBAs but I have played HOTS and DOTA2 and League and it's a MOBA without any elements of the genre that would make it interesting for anybody to actually want to compete in it so I don't even understand why anyone would play other than for the novelty of Tracer and a Starcraft tank talking to each other in a lane or whatever.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

whats this game?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

wizard on a water slide posted:

The parry accessory is also kind of a weird thing in that it costs twice as much as the others and IIRC is the only one with no effective downsides (not counting the deliberately overpowered ones you unlock from beating the game or doing weird poo poo).

It results in a weird situation where pretty much everybody ends up buying it, but only several levels into the game, so it just seems like a roundabout way of introducing a parry mechanic in the middle of the plot.

The downside is that it's a high-risk skill move, most of the other accessories are passive or easy triggers.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

In Training posted:

I don't like MOBAs but I have played HOTS and DOTA2 and League and it's a MOBA without any elements of the genre that would make it interesting for anybody to actually want to compete in it so I don't even understand why anyone would play other than for the novelty of Tracer and a Starcraft tank talking to each other in a lane or whatever.

Being too competitive is a big part of MOBA badness, there should be a MOBA focused on pve play so people can enjoy the awful gameplay without as many nutjobs.

Unrelated, how terrible is the competitive Overwatch community?

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

Dapper_Swindler posted:

whats this game?

It's Sniper Ghost Warrior 3 which seems to be full of parts where the main character says his best tough guy non-sequiturs.

Poops Mcgoots
Jul 12, 2010

TF2 HAT MINING RIG posted:

Being too competitive is a big part of MOBA badness, there should be a MOBA focused on pve play so people can enjoy the awful gameplay without as many nutjobs.

Unrelated, how terrible is the competitive Overwatch community?

I mean, every MOBA has a co-op vs AI mode if you really want to play pve, but it becomes apparent pretty quick imo that the fun in those games comes from playing against actual thinking people. And I think when In Training mentioned competing, I assume they meant pro players, not how competitive the gameplay itself is. And I have no idea what the pro scene is like, but it's kind of cool that Blizzard made collegiate e-sports in the form of Heroes of the Dorm.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
PvE Dota would just be Diablo :v:

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Guy Mann posted:

Modern TV is pretty good about giving you legal alternatives to :filez: without having to get an actual cable package.

it sounds that way, yes, but if you want to watch it digitally on STARZ, you need to provide proof of subscription from your cable provider :v:

gently caress em, get it from amazon.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

GUI posted:

It's Sniper Ghost Warrior 3 which seems to be full of parts where the main character says his best tough guy non-sequiturs.

lol. so how bad is it gameplay wise. i heard you can kinda play it far cry style now.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

The White Dragon posted:

it sounds that way, yes, but if you want to watch it digitally on STARZ, you need to provide proof of subscription from your cable provider :v:

gently caress em, get it from amazon.

You can directly subscribe to Starz streaming from their website without getting cable involved. You have to pay the same fee on Amazon so it's not any different

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Poops Mcgoots posted:

I mean, every MOBA has a co-op vs AI mode if you really want to play pve, but it becomes apparent pretty quick imo that the fun in those games comes from playing against actual thinking people. And I think when In Training mentioned competing, I assume they meant pro players, not how competitive the gameplay itself is. And I have no idea what the pro scene is like, but it's kind of cool that Blizzard made collegiate e-sports in the form of Heroes of the Dorm.

I meant the gameplay itself, I don't really know much or care about esports. It turns out removing the complicating minute to minute decision making and sharing an XP pool makes the game kind of boring and every match felt like a crapshoot at a certain point. Again I'm not an authority on the matter

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

PantsBandit posted:

The later difficulties of Bayonetta eventually only let you enter witch time through parries, which is the point when I stopped playing. I don't know what it's like in Revengeance but the windows for parries seemed super small in Bayonetta, and it was only made worse by the fact that a lot of enemies have extremely fast and difficult to read attacks.

It's far more forgiving in mgr since you're supposed to be blocking everything instead of elegantly dancing through it

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

You can directly subscribe to Starz streaming from their website without getting cable involved. You have to pay the same fee on Amazon so it's not any different

well i stand corrected. i figured it was like hbo or whatever, but maybe premium channels have changed their policy since i wanted to watch The Brink a few years ago.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

MinibarMatchman posted:

I think you mean, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g_8KzyBl3mc

god I wish this got a rerelease on Steam or something

the bright side is that both versions of it emulate really well and it looks loving nuts in hd

plus if you emulate the gamecube version you can gently caress with the game camera and see how the lighting works behind the scenes

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

corn in the bible posted:

No disgaea is good

the first one was good and funny iirc

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

The White Dragon posted:

well i stand corrected. i figured it was like hbo or whatever, but maybe premium channels have changed their policy since i wanted to watch The Brink a few years ago.

Even HBO realized they were being dumb so now you can subscribe to HBO NOW

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

I got a gold award in Bayonetta, maybe there's hope for me after all :unsmith:

This is a really good game. gently caress, am I going to have to get a Wii U

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

And after 11.5 hours I finally completed Blood and its expansion packs. I had a wild time all around. The game is really goddamn great!

Now on to "Bunny Must Die! Chelsea and the 7 Devils." Most likely the second game on my list that I will abandon out of frustration because I played the freeware version a long time ago and man it's hard.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

:lol: This rules

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

The Dark Souls of FMV games

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

precision posted:

the first one was good and funny iirc

So is the second. I cannot speak for the later ones.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

chumbler posted:

So is the second. I cannot speak for the later ones.

I can't speak for the rest of the Disgaea games but

Phantom Brave: good and sad
Soul Nomad: incredible
Makai Kingdom: kind of light on story but the base mechanics absorbed me utterly (I like vehicles in the Phantom Brave format?)

so that's five games right there you could have a good time with if you enjoy 'em! (...well if you have their ports/a PS2. NIS needs to hurry up on porting them to steam.)

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe
Makai Kingdom is my favorite NIS game.
Really hope for a remaster/ remake of it.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Sefal posted:

Makai Kingdom is my favorite NIS game.
Really hope for a remaster/ remake of it.

All they have to do is put the PSP port on Steam and that's the complete edition, I think! The most extra content + refinements.

Please, NISA, I'm ready, I'll preorder it day one.....

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

StrixNebulosa posted:

I can't speak for the rest of the Disgaea games but

Phantom Brave: good and sad
Soul Nomad: incredible
Makai Kingdom: kind of light on story but the base mechanics absorbed me utterly (I like vehicles in the Phantom Brave format?)

so that's five games right there you could have a good time with if you enjoy 'em! (...well if you have their ports/a PS2. NIS needs to hurry up on porting them to steam.)

I always wanted to try Soul Nomad because I heard the evil path gets really dark. Also the full title sounds like a high school garage band: Soul Nomad and the World Eaters

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Wamdoodle posted:

I always wanted to try Soul Nomad because I heard the evil path gets really dark. Also the full title sounds like a high school garage band: Soul Nomad and the World Eaters

It has some of NIS' most experimental, interesting systems, the good path is fun and worth following, and the evil path is one of the best/worst evil paths I've ever seen in a game, to the point where I didn't finish it because I'm not a monster. (I didn't finish Undertale's evil path either, and I can't do bad things in Mass Effect, so I'm definitely a weenie when it comes to this.)

Basically NISA's been porting their classics but the underplayed genius games have yet to be released on steam and the wait is quite painful. :negative:

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i want to finish phantom brave because it has a really great world and character writing, and one of the side characters like canonically gets taken through a portal into the soul nomad world and has a full arc spanning both games, but the gameplay is poop from a butt

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

The Colonel posted:

i want to finish phantom brave because it has a really great world and character writing, and one of the side characters like canonically gets taken through a portal into the soul nomad world and has a full arc spanning both games, but the gameplay is poop from a butt

Here is an LP thread for you.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I want to get Disgaea 5 for PS4, but it's still $60 which is kind of a punch in the dick with the Switch version coming out and including the hundreds of dollars worth of DLC for free.

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe
If it's like Disgaea 5 on the PS4. The DLC characters completely break the game.
If you do want to get it on PS4. The season pass has gone on sale a few times. And as far as I know, the season pass includes all DLC.
I think the portability of the Switch would be great for a game like Disgaea 5 though.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Sefal posted:

I think the portability of the Switch would be great for a game like Disgaea 5 though.

Having played the Vita version of Disgaea 4, I completely agree with this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
Darksiders is back!

It's uh... it's Starcraft Ghost?

• Locked thread