Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
I honestly don't have that many goongrets. I usually don't end up outright disliking all that many games (it's honestly mystifying to me how many goons just seem to hate everything or even generally have nothing to play when there's so much out) and really I'm usually the one recommending the game everyone else seems to not like. The only game goons swear by that I recall really not liking was Shadow of Mordor but that was hyped everywhere and me disliking it had far more to do with it not being my type of game.

On another note, I wish I had played Wonder Boy Dragon's Trap back in the day because this new version is my first experience with it and while it's really good, it also has some extremely rough edges that some rose colored glasses would probably smooth over entirely but as is the jank is holding back the game from being great. It's a weird combo to have a game that does a complete gorgeous overhaul of all the graphics yet make it so the gameplay is mostly untouched. It creates this odd disconnect between how the game looks and how it plays. It's still a good game though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Persona is anime as gently caress but it also has care put into its writing and tries to create actual characters and is only like 10% embarrassing fan service rather than the more typical 90%. Things can be anime as gently caress and still be good but it requires a lot of actual care. Stein's Gate is essentially a harem dating game but they actually put care into the writing and characters so it's still actually good and the whole "harem anime" aspect sort of fades to the background and becomes unimportant. Hell, in that game I was really impressed that like two or three of the endings went to extreme lengths to make them make sense within the narrative if you really wanted to end up with a girl that narratively didn't make all that much sense.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

The White Dragon posted:

i'm not sure what my problem was with shadow of mordor, i think it's the setting. i just can't get into lotr for whatever reason. the rest of the game was pretty cool aside from the whole thing where it's more effective and more cinematic to do finishers on orcs, so i never really got to see the rivalry system ramp up. it did feel a little bit budget coming off of ac:black flag, too.

I'm just not the type that likes loving around directionlessly in an open world all that much and from what I can tell that's where most of the awesome comes from in that game. I'm pretty sure I'd be fairly underwhelmed by Just Cause as well for similar reasons.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
I like Nier A but I don't like the way difficulty was handled. They made the exact opposite mistake they made in the original. In the original if you played on hard, everything was the same except Ernie's had way too much life. In Nier A the enemies have the same amount of life but can one shot you easily unless you put in a ton of defensive chips and even then they can still one shot you. It sticks because I founders normal became too easy but putting it on hard also want fun. Worst of all, it would have actually been good to give enemies more life this time because you'd actually be able to use the Platinum combo system, which goes to waste when things die in a few hits from anything you do (which, once again, playing on hard doesn't remedy)

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Don't judge unless you've played it. Stein's Gate is bizarrly good and honestly is more depressing than being remotely titalating​. It's a good example of how you can take a reprehensible genre and make something good by putting actual effort into it.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

FirstAidKite posted:

I thought I'd heard that star ocean 5 was good, especially compared to 3 and 4. Did I hear wrong?

I have never heard that it's good. It's not supposed to be as horrifying as 4 but instead it's just a low budget half assed nothing of a game. It's supposed to be the Dragon Age II of the series

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Here are some games where the amnesia aspect is at least pretty okay:

Harvester

That's all I got.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

tap my mountain posted:

I wouldn't say the Deadly Premonition amnesia twist is particularly great, but it enables York to exist which is good.

It's not really amnesia there. There is' more part repressed memories and part holding back information from the player. For most of it it's not clear how much of the plot is repressed and how much is simply not told to the player.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Help Im Alive posted:

Y/N on Flinthook/Sexy Brutale/Edith Finch/Everybody's Gone to Rapture (I already have this on PS+ but I never got around to it)

Flinthook is rad but it is brutally hard. Not Gungeon level but still, if you don't like dying over and over again, avoid.

I really like Rapture but it is INSANELY slow for no good reason and requires a ton of patience to get anything out of it. If you don't think you'd enjoy glacially walking through a really nice british town occasionally uncovering a neat story, avoid.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
I can't imagine Flinkhook NOT as a roguelike :shrug:

I mean, those elements are just sort of what the game is.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
It's not like the original 2 Darksiders had particularly amazing combat so complaining they the sequel looks bad because the combat looks different seems odd.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Should I get Thai food or Five Guys for dinner tonight?

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
There are different types of fries and I like the ones that are just crispy fried potato with salt and based on that criteria, five guys fries are fantastic

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
The only thing I know about Sonics is that they more than anything else had made me wish it was illegal to air commercials outside of areas where you actually have locations. Like if I have to see your lovely ads, the least you can do is let me go to you so I can at least know for sure how lovely you are

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Dunkin Donuts used to have good donuts but they haven't given a poo poo about them in years and the quality these days is awful.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
It's kind of funny that Dunkin Donuts' catchphrase used to be an indicator of how important they thought it was that they actually made the donuts fresh in store but now they literally ship them premade and frozen to stores.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
I think the best way to sum up modern Dunkin Donuts can be summed up by Jon Stewart referring to them as "Dunkin Donuts: where you can now get a tuna sandwich for some reason"

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
The only Doughnut places I have near me that aren't Dunkin Donuts is another chain that's even worse (Honeydew) and a local place that's even worse than that (actually now that I think about it, I think the local place is gone)

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

If Nintendo announces they are doing a bunch of additional Wii U ports for the Switch I will buy one immediately

This post makes me sad

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
That seems oddly high considering I think here a double bacon cheese burger (not that your should even bother with their bacon) is like $8

I mean granted it's more than a fast food burger but it's also way better so :shrug:

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
That definition would make something like a grilled chicken sandwich or a fish sandwich not sandwiches and they are pretty clearly sandwiches

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
My favorite paying for cheevos thing was that since version of Fight Night had a trophy for becoming heavy weight champion of online. Thing is, just like with real boxing, you could only become champion by degrading the current champion. This lead to people becoming champion and charging people real money for the chance to fight them. Not even a gauranteed cheevo, just a chance at one.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Halo got replaced by CoD and Bungie small didn't want to be tied to just Microsoft anymore. I think Halo 3 just being a slightly prettier Halo 2 also sort of weakened the series long enough for something to take it's place at a moment where it really needed to establish itself. It's still popular of course but it's just not the PS2 threatening behemoth it used to be

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
For things like that I just think it'd be better to spend time on content rather than overhauling the graphics engine to look like a different type of retro graphics

I will say they seeing nidhogg 2 in motion did sell me on that style a little.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Samuringa posted:

I'm gonna go on a wild guess here and say that "Why people stopped caring about Halo" was because they're on dead consoles and never got PC ports despite being owned by Microsoft. No, the Vista Only port of 2 doesn't count.

:lol: what an odd reality you're living in.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

precision posted:

i thought people forgot about halo because it was actually a very mediocre game and there have been eleventy billion games since then that have improved on it in every way

it's like asking "why did people forget about King's Quest"

Halo was really good for the time, it just stopped pushing things forward and couldn't keep up. Meanwhile Bungie caught back up with Destiny while MS has various people try to recreate something no one really wants anymore.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Even on the level of fighting game story modes sse was garbage and I'm glad they didn't bother doing that again.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
I need to stop watching GB Quick Looks because they keep making me want dumb games I works have ignored at least until they were cheaper. Like right now I want Super Rude Bear and I had zero interest before watching the QL and now I'm a moment of weakness away from spending the $15

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Olive Garden tonight! posted:

What's your Steam profile?

I appreciate it but in this case I should just learn to not but the game (thay and I don't really have easy access to steam right now and won't for the immediate future)

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

so...I guess we're not getting a season 2 then? :(

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
I think earlier I mentioned they I need to stop watching quick looks because they keep making me want games when I already have too much to play. Watching the one is The Surge and didn't realize it was sci-fi dark souls. Sure, it's by the people that made Lords of the Fallen so it'll probably be mediocre at best but SCI-FI DARK SOULS!

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
I mean, the graphics and sound did suck but the gameplay was okay and the writing was passable, especially for a Sonic game. It getting a 7 doesn't seem absurd or anything.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Sefal posted:

I'm starting to believe that shovel knight was the exception regarding kickstarters for videogames

Oh please, there have been a ton of good kickstarted games.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

raditts posted:

I'm looking at the page and having trouble finding anything that could remotely be described as "cool" here.

I mean in theory a game made by the two guys that have made some of the best music games ever should be enough to be "cool", it just looks like they're blowing it in their pitch on almost every level.

axelblaze fucked around with this message at 16:29 on May 15, 2017

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Alfalfa The Roach posted:

Undertale and Night in the Woods were also Kickstarter games, OP

Kickstarted games also include FTL, Hyper Light Drifter, Kentucky Route Zero, Shantae, Superhot, the new Torment, Shadowrun, Lisa, Pillars of Eternity, Darkest Dungeons, Sportsfriends, Freedom Planet, Risk of Rain, The Fall, Octodad, Some of the best pinball tables ever for Pinball Arcade, Valdis Story, Volgarr The Viking, Divinity, Divekick, Hollow Knight and probably others.

I mean, don't get me wrong, the ratio of good to bad Kickstarter games is skewed heavily towards the mediocre to terrible but when people act like Shovel Knight is only good thing to come out of Kickstarter, I find it a bit disingenuous.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Lately I've been playing -Klaus- and I'm actually surprised how good it is. It manages to be surprisingly clever and unique for a 2D platformer where you're expected to die a bunch and does some not easy things, like having you control multiple characters at once, like it's nothing. The writing isn't quite as good as it thinks it is (partially due to the eye-rolling "office culture is stifling" themes that become more annoying the older I get and partially just because the actual writing is a bit rough), but still it's a cool game that I think wasn't quite worth the retail price but is easily worth the sale price.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Genesis Aladdin was rushed as hell but it was also made with actual Disney animators, which is why it's looks so good. The SNES one is the better game but as a result of it being one of the weaker Capcom Disney games, not by that much. The tragic thing is that the Genesis one outsold the hell out of the Capcom one and I don't think Capcom ever made another Disney game

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Harrow posted:

Why do so many men's rights YouTubers have furry avatars that they shoehorn into every video?

Being sexually frustrated because no woman will go near you and being a furry tend to go hand in hand.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Jaleel White will always be the one true Sonic

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Rogue Galaxy might be the only game I've ever played where I got to the boss of the game and just gave up because I didn't feel like dealing with it.

I said come in! posted:

PS2 era games are not fun to play anymore.

This is the opinion of a crazy person that is also wrong. Plenty of games from that era hold up really well and Rogue Galaxy was always mediocre

• Locked thread