Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I hope the Surge is good. The early impressions videos I've seen are generally pretty positive about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

Dapper_Swindler posted:

Looks cool, but I suck at soul games. So this month will just be prey and backlog for me.

I'm not very good at Souls games either but the combat looks to have a little bit more of a CAG edge to it with dodge frames and witch time.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

I can only play one game at a time, or maybe like 2 multiplayer games at a time if it's something like Overwatch and the matches are quick.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

I refuse to play any PvP game with goons since the last time I was on HotS and had to listen to a grown man become audibly upset over Mumble b/c his video game man was dying.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Monkey Fracas posted:

In a stunning turn of events post-season-whateveryouthinkisthelastbestseason-The Simpsons continues to be bad

This is actually a perfect opportunity to hop on the "Simpsons was never good" bandwagon.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Palpek posted:

Maybe I'll play Resident EVII_ this month

It's good to see that Polygon writer work up the courage to play more tense games.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Satire like many things works best when you keep your cards close.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

oddium posted:

ah someone hates good thing (old simpsons). i'm dang shocked

:thejoke:

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Unfortunately, much like other once-great things from the 90s like Weezer and RHCP, the time period where the Simpsons sucked has now far exceeded the time period when it was good.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Cardboard Box A posted:

Darksiders is back!

It's uh... it's Starcraft Ghost?

I don't know anything about Darksiders but... I like what I see.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

I grew up playing JRPGs but never really got into anime like my friends did. I often found the violence to be offputting and weird, and that's the kind they were really into.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Instead of accepting your own shortcomings for losing you can now blame four other people, in additional to the usual mainstays of imbalanced maps + heroes.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

The only reason why I play HotS is just to dress up my pretty princess Blizzard characters, and I'd rather if you could just select 5 of them at a time to play the matches for you like the war table missions in WoW.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Personally I only get that multiplayer rush from 1v1 games, once teammates are involved then it's impossible to analyze the full extent of why you won/lost. I also think listening to grown men become upset over Mumble because their video game waifus are dying is about the most pathetic thing all of in human existence.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Yeah but in 1v1 games you can't deflect all your failings onto random strangers, permanently forestalling any chances of personal growth

Let us never forget the venerable origin of the MOBA: Warcraft 3 for people who couldn't handle controlling more than one unit.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

You've never heard people say that their opponent is playing cheap overpowered stuff the wrong way? I envy you, friend!

Yeah but now you get to blame the 4 other people on your team and your 5 opponents for picking bad/OP heroes! That's like 9 whole more degrees of separation between you and admitting you're bad at video games.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Nasgate posted:

This implies that Warcraft 3 required you to use more than one unit most of the time, which is false.

Son I averaged 150 APM back in the day, those Huntresses don't mass themselves you know.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Dr Cheeto posted:

The degrees of seperation don't make it any more or less likely that a player is gonna offload the blame to someone or something else, that's just a consequence of who the player is.

In my limited time with MOBAs, the playerbase has categorically been the most unpleasant to be around. I think everything about Dota is kind of engineered to bring out the worst traits in people and it shows. Even the occassional HotS goon group has had 1 or 2 really disagreeable people who start getting emotional and lashing out because their beautiful Tracer is getting hurt by the big mean Diablo. It's pathetic.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

DOUBLE CLICK HERE posted:

The first I kinda agree, but the 2nd sounds you're poo-pooing anyone being invested in a game made to be competitive. People will be emotional whether it's CSGO, Smash Brothers, or whatever else if they're going in to win it.

I am because it's pathetic, to be quite honest. If you're angry and emotional that the big candy cane man is beating down your space waifu, try to take a step back for a moment and reflect upon the various poor life decisions that led you to this point. Somehow millions of people manage to play competitive games without lashing out at whoever's most available.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

FirstAidKite posted:

See, you say that but then I think about stories involving fighting game communities and I hear similar nightmare stories. I really do think that with MOBAs, it's just that you have more people playing at a time and for a longer period of time so you end up with something that looks far worse than other esports.

The difference is that if I want to play Mortal Kombat or For Honor or Starcraft right now, I can do a whole bunch of matches where the only thing people say is "GG" if they even say anything at all.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

FirstAidKite posted:

I've had plenty of matches of of league of legends go the same way :shrug: anecdotal evidence and opinions, I doubt there is any conclusive evidence one way or the other.

Didn't you say you only played games vs. AI? And they're saying GG? The machines have become self-aware...

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Macarius Wrench posted:

Oh boy, you can get some fine choice reactions from Starcraft players if you just worker rush them right at the start

Most of the time you'll only get the quiet dignity of the ragequit.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

If I had to spend an eternity doing one thing it would almost certainly be eating, ideally very large quantities of bread.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Sakurazuka posted:

lol That Bioshock Infinite ending, what if you went back in time to kill Hitler but then it turned out you were Hitler?????

Look on the bright side, you killed Hitler.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

I remember reading about the ending to Bioshock Infinite and thinking "that's about the dumbest thing ever" and then two weeks later I played the Vanishing of Ethan Carter and welp.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

I liked that flashpoint much better in Horizon Zero Dawn where you get to throw a rock at a white guy instead.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Jay Rust posted:

I'm feeling very listless today... Could someone recommend a video game, any video game, for me to play?

Sounds like you need to play... Night in the Woods!

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

It's really remarkable how many game plots since 2010 have literally ended in "No John... you ARE the demons." The Repercussions of Evil guy was way ahead of his time.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Snak posted:

I quit Mass Effect 3 after the game tricked me into lying to someone I wanted as an ally. The game was like "tell them about thing" or "tell them about other thing" and I was like, well, they will probably get mad when I them about thing, so I will tell them about other thing first, and then after I told them about other thing, the conversation was over and 20 seconds later they were like "we found out about thing! you loving lied to us and hid this, we're enemies now". And I was like wow gently caress this poo poo.

If you lie to Wrex about curing the genophage, then he will eventually find out because he's smart. If Wrex is dead and Wreav is the Krogan leader in his place, then nobody will discover the cure was sabotaged.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

According to that ME3 analytics graph only about 3% of players shot Mordin to sabotage the cure, so there's hope for us all.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Lurdiak posted:

Isn't that kind of a "blow up megaton" thing, like the only reason anyone would do it is to see what happens and then reload their save.

It's legitimately painful to watch if you let the conversation run its full course.

I MADE A MISTAKE!

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

I have no problem with buying games at full price, in fact I think putting down $60 motivates me to find the good stuff in a title and play it to completion rather than waiting for a sale on something I'm iffy on and getting bored after a couple hours. My instincts about what looks fun are mostly correct and it's only the full-throated endorsements of goons that cause me to waste my money on poo poo I don't like.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Lakbay posted:

Perhaps you should ignore full-throated endorsements no matter how loud or pushy

Time makes us bolder
Even children get older
I'm getting older, too

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Help Im Alive posted:

Which game is your biggest goongret

In terms of hype to overall quality, the Vanishing of Ethan Carter. It may be legitimately the worst modern game I've ever played.

In terms of cash money spent to disappointment level, probably Pillars of Eternity.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

The only thing CineD likes more than ponderous boring art films are in fact comic book movies that they can write 10,000 word treatises about how Megatron is actually a transgendered black woman.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Jay Rust posted:

Is a goongret "I'm sorry I got talked into buying this" or "I'm sorry I can't enjoy this as much as my goon friends"?

There are games I've played that I could see the goodness in despite not agreeing with goon consensus (TW3) but I took it to mean "still angry I actually spent cash money on this."

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Phantasium posted:

People can keep saying how the unholy union between Telltale and Borderlands is somehow not absolute garbage but I will never believe them, not even when I could trivially download it now that it's free for PSN.

I'd probably have played it by now if it was literally any other setting but Borderlands.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

The Colonel posted:

the generic battle music in tales usually isn't really anything to write home about so it's not like you're missing anything

What is worth writing home about, honestly.

Dear mom, hope everything is well with you and the family. How are the cats doing? Just got a promotion at work, tell you more about it when I come down for Thanksgiving. Oh by the way, there's this video game I'm playing and I have to say, the generic battle music is amazing. Well anyway, things are very busy around here as usual. Talk to you soon, love you.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

This one screenshot is so JRPG it hurts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

The White Dragon posted:

i'm not sure what my problem was with shadow of mordor, i think it's the setting. i just can't get into lotr for whatever reason. the rest of the game was pretty cool aside from the whole thing where it's more effective and more cinematic to do finishers on orcs, so i never really got to see the rivalry system ramp up. it did feel a little bit budget coming off of ac:black flag, too.

My biggest issue with SoM was the protagonist, just super boring and no personality to speak of. I don't know why they thought he was interesting enough to keep around for the sequel.

• Locked thread