Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Sakurazuka posted:

Final Fantasy X

This would be the answer except they also kind of resort to amnesia in the (even better) FFX-2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

The major problem with PoE is that the world and its inhabitants were about as interesting as 19th century tariff law and yet the game insisted you wanted to hear all about it, all the time.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

I am so bad at For Honor, but fortunately for me, there are many who are even worse.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Macarius Wrench posted:

I played about 15 minutes of PoE and immediately reinstalled Diablo 3.

That's PoE. We're talking about PoE.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Guy Mann posted:

I think one of the expansions added a special weapon that gets more powerful by killing the Kickstarter backer characters, which is great.

I hope Obsidian makes some better pledge goals for their next kickstarter because man those NPC fanfics were some of the most embarrassing things I've ever read in a video game.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Code Veronica is the best of the OG Resident Evils pre-RE4 and REmake. And is also better than all the games that came after those, too.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Black bean + mushroom burgers are pretty decent and very easy to make at home.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Red Bones posted:

I dunno which Illiad/Odyssey fanfic I like the most. It's either the Aeneid, the Greek campaign in Age of Mythology, or the one where Achilles and Patroclus work in a coffee shop together.

James Joyce's Ulysses is the best Odyssey fanfic.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Spoderman posted:

After Don Quixote was written, a fanfic sequel came out and Cervantes caught wind of it. He then wrote a real sequel where a major plot involves Don Quixote going around saying "yeah, that wasn't me, there's some impostor going around. Also, he's way less funny and nuanced than I am." And then Don Quixote dies at the end and the author explicitly says it's so that nobody can make any more bad fanfic.

This is how they should have ended Mass Effect 3.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

If you don't perform strenuous physical activity while also gaming every single day, then you're playing your entire life on casual mode.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Palpek posted:

Real gamers know that the true gaming hardcore is having impossible top scores in the most casual games. Game on Wolf and Eggs grandmasters.

My mom is probably the most hardcore gamer on earth.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

I said come in! posted:

I spent a large portion of the weekend watching speed run documentaries about Mario games.

You should watch The King of Kong.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

I remember the original Halo trilogy all being pretty huge critical and commerical successes back in the day and Halo 4 the point where the series began to go off the rails for many.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

I ended up liking For Honor so I'll see what Ubisoft's got planned for it through the end of this year.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Lakbay posted:

I mean they won't because 5 people on earth still care about the modern day stuff

And they're all on the AC writing team.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

The ancient times Assassin's Creed is a good idea but it really should have gone that direction after Black Flag at the latest.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

It's always amazing to me that the stereotype of the Hanzo/Genji slampicker is so universally mocked, yet there are people who still do it in every single game. It's like how guidos and juggalos still exist.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

oddium posted:

maybe they like having fun op

Not if their chatlogs are to be believed.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Lizard Wizard posted:

Sometimes you play a character or class because it's the only one that "clicks" with you.

This makes sense because I am a bratty Korean progamer IRL.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

That's some good poo poo. Very chillwave.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Overwatch is the most popular video game on planet earth.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Sakurazuka posted:

Can anyone name other people who do music similar to this? Tia

Washed Out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-DkslcOhytU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7fYnfE5Cycg

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Target still has physical copies of Blizzard games and random shovelware tucked away in the corner of their electronics section. Sad!

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Yahtzee is definitely gimmicky, and his gimmick is to overaccentuate the negatives of any game he's reviewing. Which has probably been a smart business decision as nerds simply cannot let go of anything that dare besmirch the name of Whatever.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

In my headcanon dunkey is a donkey IRL.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Short games rule. Let us all praise short games.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

More like No Mas Effect.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Cowcaster posted:

is final fantasy even a huge draw itself these days? i know it's still in triple A territory but I thought its heyday was long past compared to market busters like call of duty or uncharted etc. etc.

It's going to probably hit 10 million sales by the end of the year, which is what it needed to break even lol.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

"I can't believe Hitman didn't sell well, pretty much every goon I know loved it. Also, do people still play Final Fantasy?" - The Something Awful forums

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

In Training posted:

Idk how well t did but XIII is probably my second favorite FF.

If you combine the entire trilogy then it's the best-selling mainline FF ever, though each entry individually sold less than FFX/2 and FF7.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

For a game to be bad it requires you to remember anything about it, so I can safely say that FFXII is not bad.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

I was 17 when FFX came out and to me it was a really solid RPG that told its story competently with some excellent art direction. But its most important function as we would later find out was being a precursor to the modern masterpiece and imho the most perfect JRPG ever, Final Fantasy X-2.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

DLC Inc posted:

X-2 at least was upfront about you retrieving macguffins that are inherently worthless, which is hilarious. getting a sphere that shows just static...masterful.

Not only that but in tortuously getting the 100% ending Yuna learns nothing and experiences no character development, which was meta as hell for 2002.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

You should definitely savescum to learn the Jecht shot however as that makes the Blitzball tournament a breeze, the only point in the game where you have to play Blitzball.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Andrast posted:

Who cares about the blitzball tournament?

I play to win.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

I think new release blindness is definitely a thing but so is reflexive "actually everything was terrible" gooniness, and the two exist forever in a perfectly opposing balance, much as a star's nuclear fusion keeps it from collapsing in upon itself.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Well sometimes games receive a lot of hype at release because they are indeed, good.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

It wasn't too difficult in the original FFX to effectively automate your own Blitzball team, either. To get Wakka's ultimate weapon you had to do something absurd like win 3 seasons in a row and I did it because I had no life when I was 17.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Lurdiak posted:

It's a little weird that the character entirely defined by Blitzball is worse at Blitzball than the main character.

Tidus' signature weapon early in development was going to be the Blitzball, but they decided at some point it was really gay for the main character of a Final Fantasy game to not have a sword so they reversed his weapon with Wakka.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Wakka never seemed like he was all that serious about winning at Blitzball before Tidus showed up, more like "just happy to be here."

• Locked thread