Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Lizard Wizard posted:

Should I just generally ignore monster classes or what? I can never tell which ones are good.

Genuinely use what you want. Short of the insane super high-end ultra-mega-godlike bosses you can make anything work and even for those it's possible to use monster classes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Lizard Wizard posted:

Yeah okay, fair enough. Speaking of which, are Prinnies solid? I'm not sure if they're meant to be a staple of my forces or just "here's your lovely starting guys"

Prinnies have some specific gimmicks in certain games that can make them really strong but by and large they're there to be funny. Most of the tricks involve exploiting their ability to explode when thrown but that can be a liability too.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

KingSlime posted:

whew I really thought that new bandai namco IP was by from, and was really not digging the artstyle

turns out its not a fromsoft project, just another "souls-like." Good, the art style was waaaay too over the top (take note, this is what non-anime fans refer to as too anime) and I am a huge fan of from soft's more subtle approach so this was leaving a yucky taste in my mouth.

It might be worth checking out next year I guess, but its "grimdark" approach combined with the art style is pretty eyeroll-inducing. Who knows though, won't hurt to keep this one on the radar.

Here's a link to the trailer:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iNefvCy70vA

Referring to that as grimdark is sort of bizarre when it's basically just Bloodborne with the serial numbers filed off by someone's anime doll.

Harrow posted:

I appreciate that you can change the difficulty and even the random encounter rate at any time but doing that just made me fall into a really boring play pattern (go through the dungeon with random battles off, reach save point, turn difficulty down and encounters way up to level a bit, turn difficulty to Hard for the boss).

You could do that in Bravely Default too though. It's what a lot of people I know did playing through the game.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Help Im Alive posted:

I think people say Tales of Berseria is really good

Berseria isn't turn-based though.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Harrow posted:

Yeah, I went back and edited my post to include that. I think the thing was that I never felt like I needed to in Bravely Default. I started on Hard and I thought it was a satisfying balance all the way through to when I started getting broken job combinations (at which point it was really easy, but, well, I'm the one who decided to pass that Blood Blade around so everyone fully healed themselves with every attack :v:). I never felt compelled to ride the difficulty or encounter rate sliders because hanging out on Hard, the random battles still felt like a reasonable but not tedious challenge. Either Bravely Second amped up random battle difficulty a lot or I'm somehow way worse at Bravely games than when I played Bravely Default, because Second's random battles on Hard are horrible and I don't think I'd have gotten through two dungeons if I hadn't started turning off encounters.

Bravely Second is absolutely tuned with the idea you already finished Bravely Default but I think it gives you such powerful tools that I had the opposite experience. Hard was too easy generally especially once you start cheesing poo poo with Wizard and other classes. I found myself tearing through stuff and had to actually go back and make sure to kill more enemies to fill out the enemy notes. I think it really depends on how all-in you go on breaking it bu to me BS's problem was more than it gives you insanely powerful tools and almost nothing that can stand up to them, not even the optional bosses or super Ba'als.

Harrow posted:

I've heard that's really good. Do I need to start at the beginning, or is there a good jumping-on point anywhere else? I'm cool either way, just wondering which one to get first if I jump in.

Trails in the Sky is where you generally want to start (though that's PS3/V) but keep in mind it can be very slow.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Harrow posted:

Looking at the jobs in Second, it definitely seems like you don't really even need to try all that hard to break the game in half. What's the Wizard skill that just vaporizes things, Rain?

Rain is probably the easiest but there's a ton of things that can do it. Hammer for example means you can pretty trivially be hitting 9999 damage basically the moment you get something strong to combo it with (Summoner stands out here.) Rain is absurdly because when you're hitting for 9999 multiple times an attack there are very few things that can survive very long. Physical damage is pretty heavily nerfed except for Mass Attack cheese though.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

GLAAD trash bags posted:

What's Bioshock all about anyways? All I know is that there are large robot men with cool drill hands and Infinite has an absurd/insane multidimensional spanning plot.

"Hey, what if a bunch of libertarian assholes tried to make their own underwater city free of the ~parasites~ goes about as well as you expect."

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Pigbottom posted:

Good to know I'm not the only one who doesn't get it. People treat this game like it's the second coming of RPGesus...

It is a JRPG with solid writing, a creative combat system, high-quality music and a lot of subtle creativity that was effectively created by a single person. Even if you personally don't like it it isn't hard to understand why it got a good reception.

hostess with the Moltres posted:

I bought Mega Man X on the eshop. That's not a regret, I just want to say it's interesting that the game throws you into the middle of things with so little in-game explaination. Hopefully my sticky L button won't be an issue for dashing. Also the level that ends with you first fighting vile is really cool.

MMX is a well-designed game except for the giant glaring design flaw that is putting a basic mechanic behind an unlockable in a stage you may not visit for a long time.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Lurdiak posted:

These witcher bestiary entries should really be less sassy about getting the myths and creatures they appropriate wrong. It's like "unlike what stupid idiot morons think, basilisks can't turn people to stone". Hey guys, you're the ones getting it wrong... Maybe take it down a notch.

But... mythological basilisks can't turn people into stone. The Basalisk's thing is that they kill people with their stare. They only turned people into stone in Harry Potter because a series of events kept making it see reflections of the person instead.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I suspect the actual reason isn't "fantasy stuff is DUMB" but that an enemy who is capable of killing anything it looks at in a single glance would not be very fun in games, which is also why basilisks that show up elsewhere also tend to either be missing that ability or turn people to stone. They could not use a basilisk but when your entire gimmick is mythological creatures it's not surprising when you do.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

My issue with Darksiders 3 is that Fury isn't one of the four horsemen. Why can't she be Plague or Pestilence?

Because they're been Death, Strife, Fury and War since the first game?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The most successful movies in the world these days are fanfiction unless you're somehow going to pretend like different writers/artists creating their own interpretation of characters wildly different from the originals isn't fanfiction because a major company purchased the IP and said they could.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

precision posted:

To me, "we haven't started working on the next game yet but are still adding things to the multiplayer mode of the game that came out 6 weeks ago" is very different to "we've decided to put the series on hiatus".

You're making a lot of assumptions about multiplayer support meaning a healthy game which are not really backed up.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Based off what I've read since it was announced, it doesn't seem like it's a big shock. Hitman was apparently well praised but sold really badly. You can blame the episodic release or whatever but it seems like it underperformed the hell out of things. Which sucks but i also can't say it was wrong for them to go episodic considering that is probably what allowed it to be designed in the way it was.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The Colonel posted:

what if you were trying to sip out of a coffee mug... and then the mug suddenly and violently splashed the coffee on your pants

I call that Monday.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Guy Mann posted:

Also anybody who is already invested enough in a game to drop $60 to buy it at launch week is somebody whose experience is too effected by hype and expectations for me to take seriously, you need the people who get it a month later for half off at the very least before you start getting more balanced opinions. Remember how for like a week after it came out Resident Evil 7 was the best in the series and the greatest horror game in years and was gonna single-handedly save VR then after that nobody really talked about it or cared, or how Mankind Divided and FFXV being unfinished piles who weren't worth it didn't really start getting traction until the holidays sales?

What? As far as I know nobody changed their mind on RE7. It just was a game that was finished and people moved on to other stuff.

raditts posted:

Yikes. If you liked Hitman enough to buy Absolution, why wouldn't you buy Hitman '16?? Absolution couldn't have turned that many people off the franchise...

Maybe they liked Absolution's gameplay style and not Hitman 16's, or maybe they didn't like the episodic nature of the game, or maybe they didn't know it came out, etc, etc.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The best thing about that roguelike mode was the hilarious-rear end ending.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Real hurthling! posted:

Im playing xenoblade chronicles 3d and its really cool. I have problems with it though that kinda make it unfun to play

The combat seems to totally boil down to just what your level is. The same strategy can fail miserably at level 17 vs a level 18 boss, win a nailbiter at 18-18, or dominate at 19-18.
Its really artificial feeling and makes the player feel like skill isnt as important as time invested. The last game i played like this was destiny and it sucked dying in the raid at level 27 again and again while level 28 could actually hurt enemies.

Also the graphics are really rough in 3d due to the bad textures shimmering so much so i play with it off but the screen is totally full of icons and poo poo that make it really hard to see. They should have put all the moves and menus on the lower screen which is mostly wasted.

The first is unfortunately a very real problem. The level barrier is artifically huge. You can get around it with some gearing but the honest truth is that you should just go as low level as possible and if it gets too frustrating then go for a level or two.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

The other key trick is that Magic never misses so you can smash stuff way stronger than you running a magic based team.

Or just drop kick high level enemies off cliffs with Melia.

Yeah, abusing Melia or Riki to wreck the poo poo of high-level stuff is half the fun.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Harrow posted:

I really wanted to play through Xenoblade Chronicles but I just could never get a handle on the combat at all. I kept feeling like there were all these nuanced things I should be doing but maybe it was just the level barrier that was the problem, because I'd go from effortlessly destroying enemies to getting totally owned and not really understanding what I did wrong.

The level barrier or Spike damage are usually the causes of that. Spike damage is super unclear.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Lurdiak posted:

Horror games shouldn't be action-oriented.

Dead Space and Resident Evil 4 at bare minimum disagree with you.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Lurdiak posted:

Actually they prove my point because they're not scary at all.

Horror can involve a lot of different things. Dead Space is far more on the realm of body horror/corruption horror and if that doesn't scare you it is fine but it doesn't make it not horror.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Video games are not real but through the miracle of our human brains we sometimes feel emotions for things that are not real, thus why we create narratives focusing around fictional characters and things. Humanity sure is amazing.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Lurdiak posted:

I didn't play it so I can't definitively comment, but I did watch an LP. I certainly appreciate its use of horror imagery and feel it's thematically stronger than Dark Souls as a result with the whole "things just keep getting worse" thing From Software loves to do. I think it's probably far too action oriented to be a true horror game though. Despite the difficulty it doesn't make you feel that vulnerable or helpless, and you can do sick combos on even the dark gods that dwell beyond the sight of man while wielding super rad weapons. I think horror is primarily about disempowerment.

It's certainly got some very horrific things in it, though, both thematically and viscerally.

E: Skellige's Most Wanted is a pretty good Witcher 3 quest.

"You don't feel vulnerable or helpless if you're skilled enough" would mean that Resident Evil, the literal creator of the Survival Horror genre definition, is not a horror game which I don't think really makes sense.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The Kins posted:

So this is kinda cool: Activision paid Yoji Shinkawa, the awesome concept artist on the Metal Gear series, to draw some Call of Duty stuff for a PS4 theme.

It's nice to see some new art from him without having to wait another five years for Death Stranding, and the end results are pretty cool.

I frigging love Shinkawa art but it is so connected with Metal Gear in my mind now I can't see anything else.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Persona: Breath of the Wild Automata 0 is pretty clearly the GotY.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

oddium posted:

i was tired of not having viva pinata so i made my own game. right now you just feed ducks at a randomly generated pond

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-KEMmqN1EQs

Can I date the ducks?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_5x1yL2kGT0

I mean I suppose it only makes sense. Start with Create-A-Goku and move on from there.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

DLC Inc posted:

far cry 5 is entering a world where every Zenimax game in the last 2 years has eaten their lunch so I hope the "wild west setting" is true because gently caress another game on an island of malaysian locals who hate your guts

Considering that loving Rockstar is releasing a wild west game it seems like an absurdly poor idea for anyone to try to take on that particular competition this year.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Jay Rust posted:

gently caress, more games should be set in the Wild West. I don't understand this attitude that it belongs to Rockstar

There are plenty of good western games up to and including Ubisoft's own published Call of Juarez: Gunslinger.

Releasing a big western game when the biggest name in games is also releasing one is going to invite a lot of unflattering comparisons unless they have massively stepped up their game from the last Far Cry games.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

tap my mountain posted:

Not really. It's mostly just RDR, Gunslinger, the wild west levels in Timesplitters and maybe that one vampire western game that played like Halo.

You didn't name Sunset Riders are therefore are factually incorrect.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Lurdiak posted:

FF9''s superboss was probably the lamest one in the entire series. I get what they were probably going for but fucker's a beach ball.

Omza owns actually. The remake of it in FFXIV is particularly cool.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I, personally, am responsible for the fact that Aloy doesn't wear a sci-fi cavewoman bikini. Sorry guys. I ruined video games.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I guess we're finally at the oft-rumored "what if Mario had a GUN" zone now.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I... admit I never expected a world where Princess Peach is wielding a gun and described as "The Badass Princess."

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Monkey Fracas posted:

Did they have a non-English speaker write that copy or something lol

Who was supposed to see that?

It mentions Pegi 7 and I get the feeling this is being done by Ubisoft so yeah, it's probably done by someone in France.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Unironically:

I think the Minions are annoying as poo poo but they're also insanely popular and Rabbids were Minions before Minions and were really popular. In terms of appealing to people who want goofy poo poo "Mario + Minions" is probably not a bad idea even if it makes me want to smash my screen.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I think I genuinely hate this and everything to do with this.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I hope that Far Cry basically goes out of its way to piss off the worst people. Just make all the enemy death quotes something designed to piss someone off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I thought the Angry birds were round spheres. Why is that one a regular bird with giant tits in a leather catsuit?

• Locked thread