Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
Guys all my friends started playing Heroes of the Storm for the OW stuff so I downloaded it and played a few games and I think I kind of like it?!?!

Quitting League of Legends was basically the smartest thing I ever did so I'm scared.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

MinibarMatchman posted:

I played LOL for like 2 years a long rear end time ago and quit because the community is terrible and the meta is so rigid with roles and NO YOU CANNOT GO BOT YOU MUST JUNGLE.

I like playing Heroes of the Storm more simply because there's no items, no set lane roles, you can still change up characters by talent traits, and each map objective ensures that even people bad at engaging can still help out. It's also a lot faster than MOBAS and makes killstealing (which horrid people yell about all the time) a non-entity, all points and experience are universal.

It's a much more chilled out game and since it's playing catch-up you get all this poo poo for free now so it's the best time to jump in and play with once or twice a week. Def more of an "arcade" feel with how it plays so it's not as grindy or toxic.

Yeah ditching the store is definitely a good move. More than anything else when people point to MOBAs as being impenetrable it's because of poo poo like that. I also like the universal xp like you mentioned. I can gently caress with characters who seem like they should be "gankers" but if I don't get a bunch of kills it's not a huge deal.

Also there's a character that transforms back and forth from a human to a werewolf and it's not even his ult or anything it's just something he does which is real cool

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

The later difficulties of Bayonetta eventually only let you enter witch time through parries, which is the point when I stopped playing. I don't know what it's like in Revengeance but the windows for parries seemed super small in Bayonetta, and it was only made worse by the fact that a lot of enemies have extremely fast and difficult to read attacks.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Macarius Wrench posted:

I hated Heroes of the Storm. Hated, hated, hated, hate, hated, hated it. I like Mobas, i played both dota and LOL, I love Blizzard - played hours of Starcraft and Diablo and WoW and I love videogames but HotS is maybe one of the most garbage videogames I've ever seen from a big name studio.

Everything in that game just feels inconsequential. Every hero feels underpowered. Every action you take feels worthless.

I played Horizon and it didn't click for me but I still appreciate that's a gorgeous game. I played Nier and I really didnt enjoy it despite its unique approach to being a game. I played Last Guardian and appreciated what it was trying for even though it bored me silly.

HotS is garbage. I can maybe imagine a 3 year old toddler having fun mashing abilities and watching the colours which is funny because they'd be about as affective as a seasoned HotS pro veteran (lol).

loving garbage excuse for a videogame and it could have been so good *sigh*

Utterly garbage videogame.

This is from 7 pages ago but I wanted to quote it because lol

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Flinthook has a lot going for it but ultimately seems to fall apart due to how they approached the rouge-lite elements of the game.

Quick overview: Flinthook is a 2D rouge-lite wherein you play a space bounty hunter hunting down space pirates by attacking different space pirate ships. It's a silly setting but works well enough. You are assigned a bounty and have to take on a series of increasingly more difficult ships with semi-randomized rooms (the rooms are pre-fab but they are placed randomly), with the defeat of each ship bringing you a little closer to your bounty. Once you take on enough of the smaller ships, you attack the bounty ship and will be presented with a boss fight. If you die at any point, it's back to the beginning of the bounty (though you can take a trip to the black market to buy some permanent upgrades).

Also, the game is hella hard.

The movement and combat is Flinthook's strongest feature. There are hooks placed all over the rooms and you use them to quickly whip your little bounty hunter around. This mechanic is used to navigate trap rooms without taking damage and stay mobile to avoid shots during combat. The grappling feels snappy and good and mostly does what you want it to. You can also slow down time briefly which gives you a little more air-control and lets you set up difficult shots on your foes. Combat rooms give you waves of enemies to deal with and there seems to be a decent amount of variety with what they throw at you.

The music and overall aesthetic is also worth mentioning as being pretty great. Flinthook has some really fun and energizing tunes.

While those elements are good, though, the negatives ultimately made me lose interest pretty fast. One is that, as was mentioned above, the art style is a little busy. This can lead you to taking environmental damage that doesn't seem particularly fair just because your brain couldn't register spikes fast enough. Especially not good in a game that ostensibly is about speed and style.

Biggest issue for me though was the difficulty, or rather, the difficulty spikes. Like I mentioned above, dying at any point during your bounty will reset you back to the beginning. And a single bounty can take 20-30 minutes to reach the boss (and it wouldn't surprise me if it got longer in the late game). The majority of the game isn't too tough, but the boss fights are absolute bitches. It really sucks to drop 30 minutes into a run, then do 20% damage to the boss and have to start all over. This obviously isn't unique in the genre, Binding of Isaac and Nuclear Throne both have similar expectations of the player, but I don't really find Flinthook interesting enough overall to want to repeat the same content over and over.

So yeah, it's worth checking out, but I don't know that it'd be for everyone.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

The Darksiders 3 gameplay looks like straight up garbage. Somehow they decided it would be a good idea to take a series known for ludicrously hefty weapons and make the main character use a wimpy little whip.

Like I guess whips can be interesting weapons but you really need to emphasize the *SNAP* and make it look like it loving hurts and the Darksiders whip just looks like it's gently brushing the enemies.

PantsBandit fucked around with this message at 21:27 on May 5, 2017

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

It is 4:50 am and I am in the lobby of my hotel because the roommate that they gave me for my week of training snores like a buzz-saw.

I hate hotels so drat much.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

precision posted:

i thought people forgot about halo because it was actually a very mediocre game and there have been eleventy billion games since then that have improved on it in every way

Hmm no

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

DLC Inc posted:

far cry 5 is entering a world where every Zenimax game in the last 2 years has eaten their lunch so I hope the "wild west setting" is true because gently caress another game on an island of malaysian locals who hate your guts

Scuttlebutt is that you play a police officer.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

BotW had a really good desert because it actually felt hostile and vast, and not just "it's hot, yipes" but it actually got super cold if you were out at night. Ya know, like deserts do.

Of course, it still had a lot of empty land but at least you could race across it with an adorable sand lion.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

The xbone is just laying the groundwork for the xbonetwo

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

A Witcher Netflix show could be really cool if they just made it monster-of-the-week style. Geralt rides into town, takes on a contract, antics ensue. Then have some kind of over-arching Geralt drama that's season long.

Boom, smash-hit. You're welcome Netflix.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

an actual dog posted:

It's not that complicated! Just keep playing.

Words to live by.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Lurdiak posted:

There is currently no way to tell Steam you don't want people on your friends list to be able to voice call you. Nothing like getting a voice call during the middle of a cutscene in a plot-heavy game.

You can just set yourself to appear offline if you really don't want to be disturbed.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Gwent is great but playing it against real try-hard people instead of brain-dead AI will probably suck all the fun out of it for me.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

2/3 of the way through the game you find out the TRUE villains are an evil cabal of Indian businessmen.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Any major media organization should have someone on staff to hit designers with a rolled up newspaper when they try to make promotional material riffing on the Last Supper.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Genius Far Cry designer walks into design meeting. On the board are the words "whites kill minorities". He strolls up to the board, draws curved arrows between "whites" and "minorities" and walks out of the room to the sound of thunderous applause

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Samuringa posted:

Also, it might be the way they worded it, but it seems that they're selling the Hitman IP along IO Interactive (Page 10)

Good to have semi-confirmed, but not particularly surprising. SE wouldn't be selling IO if they thought Hitman was an IP worth keeping around, and IO would be hard to sell without their most well-known IP attached. There's no real reason for them to hold on to it.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

I played through Injustice 2's story mode with a friend and it was real good. Now I'm reading the comics based around Injustice and they're real good too.

Basically what I'm trying to say is it's pretty great that we live in a world where there are good Marvel fighting games and good DC fighting games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IhhZCJtJaPc&t=43s

• Locked thread