Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
In Training
Jun 28, 2008

StrixNebulosa posted:

On a less yea/nay stance I ask: what game that wasn't put out this year have you guys been enjoying most so far? Or do you folks here play exclusively new releases?

On my end I've been chained to Euro Truck Sim 2 again as it's soothing and great for podcasts, but I've also been dipping my toes into wargames with Panzer Corp and Ultimate General: Gettysburg. (Mostly 'cause I've been listening to a strategy game podcast and it convinced me to check these out.) I'm really, really bad at winning battles or wars, but it's fun to try, and I appreciate how easy these games are to pick up and play for a newbie.

Nuclear throne, which I've been playing sporadically since last last summer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Oh also I play Guilty Gear like 3 times a week and have been doing so since Revelator came out

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Oh also Hatsune Miku Project DIVA Future Tone I will pick up periodically. I basically have a bunch of games I can play for 30 minutes that I will check out when I have the time and depending on mood, but always one main game I dedicated larger time to (right now it's Persona 5)

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

The Rev2 demo is out, May starting out strong already

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Samuringa posted:

I'm pretty sure it's on Amazon Prime Video so you really have no excuse now :v:

Also, I'm late to the chat but Heroes of the Storm related: Is it an actual good game or just not as bad as other MOBAs? The little details about it got me interested.

I don't like MOBAs but I have played HOTS and DOTA2 and League and it's a MOBA without any elements of the genre that would make it interesting for anybody to actually want to compete in it so I don't even understand why anyone would play other than for the novelty of Tracer and a Starcraft tank talking to each other in a lane or whatever.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Poops Mcgoots posted:

I mean, every MOBA has a co-op vs AI mode if you really want to play pve, but it becomes apparent pretty quick imo that the fun in those games comes from playing against actual thinking people. And I think when In Training mentioned competing, I assume they meant pro players, not how competitive the gameplay itself is. And I have no idea what the pro scene is like, but it's kind of cool that Blizzard made collegiate e-sports in the form of Heroes of the Dorm.

I meant the gameplay itself, I don't really know much or care about esports. It turns out removing the complicating minute to minute decision making and sharing an XP pool makes the game kind of boring and every match felt like a crapshoot at a certain point. Again I'm not an authority on the matter

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Mad?

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I guess the NDA on Quake Champions is up. The shooting looks like Quake but the gun models are insanely ugly and theres 3 different kinds of currnecy and loot boxes and 8 layers of unnecessary bullshit on top, thankfully. Gotta love modern gaming!

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I will probably play it though because it will be free and its fun to frag.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Heroes, Abilities, Cosmetics, Crafting, Daily Missions, etc.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Dr Cheeto posted:

Quake Champions got me to remember Quake Live still exists.

I like Quake Live a lot but the population is really low. I hope Champions has server browser and mod support...but it probably won't...

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

You get that exact same feeling from any competitive multiplayer game and you don't need to waste 1+ hour of your life every time at a chance of that feeling in other games where matches are 5 minutes long.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Boy the PC version of Devil May Cry 3 is abysmal. I may refund this and just emulate the PS2 version.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Cowcaster posted:

it's legendary for being bad, right up there alongside the original resident evil 4 port. capcom was bad at porting games at first

I figured out how to display it above 800x600 after a half hour and now just need to get my controller working and it may be salvageable...

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

of Step EventPortalShock
for object BigCursedChest:

Variable Player.<unknown variable>(100127, -2147483648) not set before reading it.
at gml_Object_BigCursedChest_Collision_441
############################################################################################

and this was the first time i cleared Cursed Crystal Caverns!!!!!!! Frig off!

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

apparently Big Cursed Chests don't even exist according to the wiki...the mystery deepens...

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

oddium posted:

did you see what was in the chest at least

no but I got to the caves in another run or two and opened the large cursed chest just fine. I guess if its opened by a portal it crashes the game. Also I almost freaking looped today! But i ran out of ammo after killed the generators

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Persona Q is the worst Persona game, please play every other Persona game instead

It's enormously better than Persona 1, at least .

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Jay Rust posted:

I'm feeling very listless today... Could someone recommend a video game, any video game, for me to play?

Nuclear throne

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

A pretty good game about sequels is Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I'm looking forward to a future where rightfully no one ever talks about the bioshock series again

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Flinthook looks like it has fun movement and I wish it was just a game with levels and time trials.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

KingSlime posted:

I have a friend who adores MM 1-10 (he even does all the bonus challenges, mf'er is hooked). Yet he refuses to play 7, 8, or the X series because he likes the tiny sprites of the NES games, and anything else "just isn't mega man," and he has no interest in Zero either.

It is nuts to me how he's willing to pass up on the better portions of a franchise he clearly loves but preferences are preferences I guess

The only game in 7,8 and the X series that is great is like, X1. And it's not the end of the world if they miss out on that game.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I hadn't played any MM game until December of last year and played beat 1-10 and X1-3 and played X4-8 and even by X2 those games got unfun, I vastly prefer the NES games. Except X1 is fantastic, of course

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Captain Invictus posted:

did you ever play the zero games? they're pretty good. better than most other megaman games, really.

I been meaning to but I had to take a break because it was a lot of mega man in a very short period of time.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

codenameFANGIO posted:

I used to get the GameStop magazine because it comes with their stupid reward service but that poo poo sat around untouched since it was full of things I had read on the internet two months ago.

I still get this and same.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Doctor Spaceman posted:

I'm really struggling to think of a game that was too short. Even when the ending is a bit abrupt it's more an issue with pacing than lack of time.

MGSV

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Help Im Alive posted:

Which game is your biggest goongret

You didn't ask me but mine is Deadly Premonition

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Mordja posted:

To be perfectly fair, Cinema Discusso is the last place you should be looking for movie recommendations.

That said, smdh if La Grande Illusion isn't in your top ten list of films. :smuggo:

If you like movies you should check out Blockbuster Video (forum and store)

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Macarius Wrench posted:

Its not even that for me, the world's fine, I like the idea of multiple playthroughs, the overall artistic design is great, the genre mash up is amazing but to experience all that you need to slog through a combat system devoid of charm or finesse or even meaning. The game was more fun for me playing on easy and having the combat sections literally play themselves. There is barely an actual GAME in there.

The combat is great if you played on Hard where a single mistake kills you. Makes traversal feel really dangerous and exciting

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Phantasium posted:

I gave the opening tutorial bit an earnest try on Hard the first time I played it and then got rebuffed of that notion very quickly.

The constant dying wouldn't have bothered me if it didn't count as an "ending" and kick you out to have to do it from the start every. loving. time.

I did the tutorial on normal until I could save and then bumped it up to hard for the rest of the game because of that very problem. Other than that it makes the minute to minute action great

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Macarius Wrench posted:

This sounds fine if you want to spend as much time with the game as possible but doing this would bore me away from playing Nier faster than playing it on easy did. Drop it on easy and get through with as little arsing as possible is what worked for me.

The difficulty in Nier really irritates me though, there isn't any point to it other than to take up more of your time. No achievements tied to it, no change in enemy variety, just the most basic less health less damage. Its lazy particularly from a company that handled difficulty level so well in games like bayonetta or god hand.

Enemies do have different attacks on Hard and higher

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Final Fantasy XIII-2

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Tangents posted:

Crystal Chronicles was the one where you had to, like, carry around a thing that made a safe zone from environmental damage or something, right? I remember playing a bunch of it solo and thinking, man, it would be great if there was someone else to do this for me.

In single player you actually don't carry it at all, a moogle does it for you.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I want more fixed camera angle games

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Quake Champions seems like a really bad replacement of Quake Live

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

mutata posted:

Yes but "art direction" is not exclusive to fixed cam, prerendered backgrounds which it would have to be in order for that to be the reason someone "misses" them.

Yeah, there seems to be no compelling reason to play Champions over Quake Live and lots of F2P-based reasons to play Quake Live instead. The only thing it really has on Quake Live will be player count, which is not nothing but there's just too much friction between me and getting in a game to have fun, so I'll not be playing it.

It's crazy how long it takes between matches.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

corn in the bible posted:

Smt4 sucks, gently caress this game

WHat the hell!

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

The Kins posted:

Less ADD-addled German savants who've played Quake 3 non-stop for the last 18 years insta-gibbing me from across the map on spawn. :colbert:
Really? It's only, like, a little over a minute here.

I just mean the process after a match finishes. You have to look at the results for a while, and then it kicks you out to matchmaking again, then find a match, then have everyone ready up, and then play the 60 second warm up thing, and then it starts. In the past a game ended, a new map loaded and boom you're back to fragging

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Viewtiful Jew posted:

Did this happen with Doom last year? Is original Doom available to buy standalone on Steam?

It is but it doesn't even work so I refunded it and illegally downloaded the ultimate Doom .wad because honestly who cares, it was basically free at launch anyway.

• Locked thread