Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

precision posted:

Hitman got rave reviews and sold pretty well
I love the episodic Hitman but I don't think it sold that well. There are no hard numbers available but I read 500-600k copies thrown around. Even given Square's track record of having unreasonable sales expectations that's a different story. The first episodes also didn't review that well, the last one and the full package did but that was too late to really influence the market.

So it's like - I know and you know and your friends know that this is an amazing game but apparently the mainstream market doesn't and Square doesn't want to pump more money into it for this reason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

In Training posted:

I'd like to have both many Hitman seasons and more Final Fantasies
Ideally as many Hitman seasons as there are Final Fantasies.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Even if you ignore core releases - FFXIV is one of the most popular MMOs on the planet.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Prey still keeps surprising me: "Aww, a green zone on the space station, they even have this cute pond with lilies."

*water in the pond turns out to be a screen with a room hidden under it, all 3 lilies are mimics*

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Guy Mann posted:

Also anybody who is already invested enough in a game to drop $60 to buy it at launch week is somebody whose experience is too effected by hype and expectations for me to take seriously, you need the people who get it a month later for half off at the very least before you start getting more balanced opinions. Remember how for like a week after it came out Resident Evil 7 was the best in the series and the greatest horror game in years and was gonna single-handedly save VR then after that nobody really talked about it or cared, or how Mankind Divided and FFXV being unfinished piles who weren't worth it didn't really start getting traction until the holidays sales?
Yes, every game that was ever praised at release turned out poo poo. Except fot those that weren't. But you're the smart man that called it in case it happens, already feeling pretty good about it. Thanks for sharing another one of your insightful observations.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

exquisite tea posted:

I think new release blindness is definitely a thing but so is reflexive "actually everything was terrible" gooniness, and the two exist forever in a perfectly opposing balance, much as a star's nuclear fusion keeps it from collapsing in upon itself.
There's nothing new about acknowledging release hype but being a smug rear end about it and cherry-picking examples to serve the cause is idiotic.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

I didn't mind the TW3 references, it's a big game with so much stuff in it that there's enough room for both big serious themes and humor and silly things like references and easter eggs. It all worked out in the end because the big picture was so strong that even when some quests didn't work for me or when a reference was too obvious there was a feeling of experiencing a consistent world and another interesting place waiting to be visited.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

I liked the Ingmar Bergman reference. Also Asterix.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Maybe they'll just remove the DRM altogether. But there were some games in the past that got abandoned by publishers and stopped being playable - I think SE would have too much to lose PR-wise with something like that but who knows.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Apparently in Prey if you start the game as a male then the toilet seat in the bathroom in your office is up and if you start as a female it's down.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

I really liked Alan Wake. I never finished the DLCs or American Nightmare though.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

The French Revolution seems like such a cool setting, though. I wish that there were a good game that used that time period
Good news friend, Thermidor 1789: The Beginning is just around the corner.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

A list of problems with that list would have way more than 100 entries.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

ditty bout my clitty posted:

The first third of fahrenheit where you play the murder cover-up simulator with multiple ways of hiding/destroying evidence feels inspired, and I wish more games tried this.
I recommend Sherlock Holmes: Crimes and Punishments. Although it's about freeform murder uncover.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Help Im Alive posted:

What does that mean

I think those Sherlock Holmes games are on sale a lot but I always kinda assumed they were bad
Crimes and Punishments is a special entry in the series. The other ones are pretty much standard 3D point and click adventure games. C&D is more freeform - there's a crime scene and there are suspects and it's up to you who you accuse of the crime or how thoroughly you investigate the murder. Some suspects won't even be available before you uncover enough material.

Anyway, once you build a theory about the crime (there's a special system gathering important facts that you connect into logical entities) you say who you think is guilty. You can also choose what to do with him/her - you can take the consequences to the full extent of the law or go for something in a morally grey area. You also don't have to even get the information if you caught the right person - you may ask the game to tell you but you don't have to. There are several cases in the game, it's a pretty cool title.

Palpek fucked around with this message at 16:06 on May 14, 2017

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

If it's any consolation - it takes place way before Desmond's timeline.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Diablo 3 on PS4 is crazy good. Gamepad controls with new movement and also items drop rates tweaked for offline play make a world of difference. Like, the game is already great on PC but it's elevated to amazing on PS4.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Lurdiak posted:

It really bugs me that everyone in Toussaint has a Swedish chef accent. Everything in the country is named in French and they're the vassals of a sorta-German empire, there's no reason for them to have these really forced swedish accents.

It's not even consistent either, some of the characters are clearly doing bad "Spanish" accents and others are just doing the laziest SNL skit German accent ever. But most of them are like "Yew can find me at der villa, bork bork bork"
Another reason why Polish VA is superior :smuggo:.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Lurdiak posted:

Then everyone will sound like Swedish Chef!
Maybe but at least in Toussaint they're Swedish Chefs with French accent!

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Really Pants posted:

is Batman an anime now

He looks pretty tsundere in it imo.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Kewpuh posted:

i'd like to play another good horror game like dead space or resident evil does prey come close to that?
Prey is very good but it's more tense like Alien: Isolation or Bioshock rather than horror.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

I'm talking strictly about the atmosphere, not the gameplay mechanics. Yes mechanically and structurally it's System Shock but SS was more in the direction of horror than Prey is and that was kewpuh's question.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Parents love the early arcade-style games where it's all about how long you can last before you inevitably die. It's a way more honest reflection of real life than games with plots and endings.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

It's also kinda sweet that many parents love Tetris and Arkanoid but refuse to play anything beyond those. It's like that dad/mom who only listens to old jazz or only watches old Hollywood movies with Bogart.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

fridge corn posted:

my sad parental video game moment was watching my dad play diablo2 and him picking up literally every piece of junk loot to sell to the vendor :(
drat, that's soulcrushing.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

In AC Syndicate you can play a lady whose base of operations is a train, and who hangs out with Karl Marx and spends her free time crippling people in underground pit fighting competitions. If I had known what this game was like I would have played it earlier
When you're done with the game check out Jack the Ripper DLC as well. It cranks up the 'destroy the patriarchy' theme to 11, it's really good.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

VideoGames posted:

I finished the first half of the season in Diablo3 last night and it made me exceptionally glad.
I think I may try to wean myself onto another game now that I've reached one of my goals.

However, it's just so much fun and feels so good! I am having the same problem that has faced all gamers: Too much game, too little time.
Do you have the expansion? It's really worth getting. Also there will be a new/old class introduced this year - the necromancer.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Syndicate, Black Flag and Rogue are solid. Skip the rest. I'm a fan of the Ezio trilogy but those games have gotten old.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

I heard that Syndicate 2012 is really good in co-op because the other players get completely different sets of abilities that do some amusing stuff when used together.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

I felt it was cool that you could go back to any map to find that last collectible and it would be added to your current playthrough.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Lurdiak posted:

Lol I got the bad ending to Witcher 3 because I wanted to get gold to upgrade my sword.

Thanks video game, I've learned a suitable lesson.
Nah, it's making 3 out of 5 helicopter dad decisions. It doesn't depend on 1 choice.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Lurdiak posted:

I looked it up and basically that's the one that moved me from the ending I probably would've wanted to the bad one, and it's the only one I didn't make for RP reasons.
Ah, I get it now. I have to tell you though that I really enjoyed the bad ending. It's the best directed/written one imo (the Crone taunting Geralt was ruthless) and I haven't really seen something like that properly pulled off in an AAA production.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Lurdiak posted:

Yeah it's a good bad ending, but it's obviously not satisfying to me as I played a nice Geralt who has hope for the future instead of the facile cynic he's probably more like in the books.
Geralt in the books has a long character arc - he starts off not wanting to personally get involved with anything because the world is poo poo but slowly lets his guard down for some people and ends up developing relationships with them (among them are Yen and Ciri). I'd say it's one of the main themes of the saga. I never really felt that the game Geralt was much different from the end-of-book-saga Geralt.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

The new Humble Bundle has SteamWorld Heist, Kentucky Route Zero and Owlboy in it. It's pretty good: https://www.humblebundle.com/humble-indie-bundle-18

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Gunslinger is a really great Wild West FPS. People who like the recent-ish revival of the FPS genre with its Dooms and Wolfensteins should give it a go.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Help Im Alive posted:

has anyone managed to make a fun video game desert yet
Mad Max has some gorgeous deserts and so many different ones!

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

While we talk about :gaben: - apparently they got Blomkamp to premiere his short movies on Steam? First shy steps into Netflix territory, maybe, I don't know.

https://twitter.com/NeillBlomkamp/status/864287017630261248

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Harrow posted:

Looks like Jim Sterling is maybe ditching the fascist dictator aesthetic?
Maybe he'll start wearing actual swastikas.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Lurdiak posted:

I have very little faith in that project. I really like the Witcher games for the most part but the material really seems like if it was done even slightly wrong it would become insufferable.
At least the director of all the CG cutscenes from the game will be working on it and the author of the books as well so I'm hopeful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Just get it over with and have Mads Mikkelsen play Geralt, thanks.

• Locked thread