Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Hello may chat thread. Anybody have anything exciting planned for the month?

We're trying to figure out plans on whether we're going to go to a friend's miniature anime convention that he runs or if we're going to another friend's wedding. It wouldn't normally be a tough decision, but it is made slightly tougher since they're both friends, we help out at the con, the wedding invites haven't arrived yet so we don't know for certain outside of what the groom said that we're invited, and even if we are invited, I don't have proper clothing for attending a wedding nor the money to afford proper clothing for it so who knows what's gonna happen.

It's also gonna be my birthday on the 27th. ~yay~ I'll be 26 years-old ugh. I hope it is a quiet birthday this year because I don't like when people fuss over me or burden themselves with bday stuff. I'll be happy if it's a nice and stress-free day. Hopefully by then we'll have this car stuff sorted out because our neighbor is selling us their car for cheap so things will almost be going back to normal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

haveblue posted:

Clearly the solution is to convince your friends to get married at the con.

Please respect the sanctity of the 1-day anime convention

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
"If any of you has reasons why these two should not be married, speak now or forever hold your peace."

*Weird middle-aged lady who always runs a panel at the anime con stands up* "If she's a shota she can pretend to be his mommy instead."

the joke is that the weird middle-aged lady who always runs a panel at this anime con was showing off a panel about short shows where the episodes are like 5 minutes long and she was talking about some show called pillow boys and she was like "so for this show they just talk to you before going to sleep so it is like someone is sleeping with you and it is like having a boyfriend, and this is the little boy, if you're a shota you can pretend to be his mommy instead"

:yikes:

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Lakbay posted:

How traditional of a wedding will it be. I saw my friend's sister's wedding pics and everyone one was in cosplay (Winnie the Poo, some dude from Mad Max, etc)

No idea. Until the invites come, we p much know nothing. I'm not sure they've even sent the invites yet to be honest. All we know is that they want to keep it small.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Agnostalgia posted:

what the gently caress does anything in this post mean.

Sorry, I thought I'd made it clear enough :(

A middle aged woman went to an anime convention, held a panel, and during the panel she brought up that adult women who sexually like little boys would enjoy the show because they can pretend that they are the character's mother. This was not her making an awful joke, this was her sincerely suggesting this.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Agnostalgia posted:

I'm sincerely sorry I asked.

There are some awful people in this world, some maliciously so, and some through lack of self awareness and ignorance, and hoo boy am I hoping that her not running a panel last time is a sign that she's just gonna stop outright. And that was just the second worst thing she said at that con.

The joke is that you don't want someone like that at your wedding.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

The Kins posted:

This new version of Facade looks kinda weird.

Melon

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

corn in the bible posted:

I think it's time for you to leave

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Lizard Wizard posted:

Actually I've got Disgaea 3, 4 and D2 that I still need to beat. Which one is the best?

Whichever one you play first

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p8M2tg2RkIQ

Jesus christ

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
I never expected that clip to be good, I was more just dumbfounded by how **bad** it was.

Like, I don't watch the simpsons, the few episodes I did watch that I enjoyed were from the 90s and maybe early 2000s, and I knew people said that the simpsons had gotten bad and I'd seen a couple of random bits from later seasons that were definitely not good, but I had no idea just how dire it was.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

The Colonel posted:

i'm pretty sure every disgaea game is better than disgaea 1

I've only ever played the first game but I heard the later games fixed the item world at least. The item world in the first game is just dreadful due to how easy it is for the game to generate a map you can't finish. It's such a massive slog.

The humor is real hit or miss in D1 too imo, mainly because it relies on a lot of juvenile humor that sometimes can be funny but otherwise is just kinda random and out there, like "oh hey the human lady said she's afraid of being molested by demon tentacles hahaha" or "hey that zombie is wielding a horse dick for a weapon lol" or "lmao laharl is allergic to sexy women so he can only be around unsexy weapon and has to avoid boobs as much as possible" or "the angel is sneaking around shouting NIN NIN because she thinks that's what ninjas do"

It isn't all just monkey cheese random stuff but I feel like they rely on it a bit too much in disgaea 1. There are funny jokes that stand on their own, like the gigantic overlord fight, but other times it's just "isn't this wacky??" and that doesn't always work.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Blind the Thief was a pretty cool boss in Zelda Link to the Past.

He should be playable in hyrule warriors >:]

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Not anime.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Just as with all forms of media, 90% of it is poo poo and it's not fair imo to base your opinion of the good 10% on the bad 90%

percentages ripped straight outta my rear end

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Tokyo Godfathers is a good anime christmas movie about 3 homeless people in japan who find a baby in the dumpster and try to find the baby's mother.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

precision posted:

I've never really had anyone coherently explain to me what it is about MOBAs that is enjoyable.

I like shooting the poo poo with my friends over voice chat while we play as neat-looking characters and fighting against AI.

I am not the typical MOBA player given that I prefer playing against AI because I recognize I'm not actually good enough to go against humans and the fun I have is using the game as a kind of fun conversation thing with friends.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Cromartie High School is another really good anime (make sure to watch the dub)

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Fighting games and MOBAs are different and imo it is unfair to compare them on any level past surface level "these are things with esports communities"

Fighting games have an emphasis on learning a variety of different moves and using a very limited space to use your moves and exploit your enemy's openings. MOBAs are more about a team of people working out how best to tack a separate team of people and trying to find some degree of order in the chaos likely to follow. You have a larger area to work with and different roles the player can take in helping the team and there is an emphasis on being able to cripple the enemy team without necessarily harming the enemy directly.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

exquisite tea posted:

Yeah but now you get to blame the 4 other people on your team and your 5 opponents for picking bad/OP heroes! That's like 9 whole more degrees of separation between you and admitting you're bad at video games.

IMO the people who would do that would never admit they were screwing up in the first place so it doesn't really matter what game they're playing.

Lots of multiplayer communities for games are lovely. MOBAs I guess might be more vocal, idk, but their worst don't seem any worse than any other competitive game group's worst people. At the end of the day, people find it fun and entertaining, and it is ok to not understand why people would find it fun, but at the end of the day there are people that are clearly having fun with it so it doesn't really matter how much a person claims the genre isn't fun and everyone who has fun with it is wrong. They're having fun with it so whatevs.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Andrast posted:

The difference is that the awful behavior in MOBAs is far more frequent than in other games. You get at least one awful person in like every game.

See, you say that but then I think about stories involving fighting game communities and I hear similar nightmare stories. I really do think that with MOBAs, it's just that you have more people playing at a time and for a longer period of time so you end up with something that looks far worse than other esports.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

exquisite tea posted:

The difference is that if I want to play Mortal Kombat or For Honor or Starcraft right now, I can do a whole bunch of matches where the only thing people say is "GG" if they even say anything at all.

I've had plenty of matches of of league of legends go the same way :shrug: anecdotal evidence and opinions, I doubt there is any conclusive evidence one way or the other.

FirstAidKite fucked around with this message at 18:03 on May 2, 2017

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
I've played against other players in dota 2 and league of legends. I'm not good at it though so I usually don't. I get curbstomped. People get mad about me feeding the other team but it's nothing worse than what others hear in online multiplayer FPS games or raids and the like.

Andrast posted:

It doesn't look worse, it IS worse. Mobas are designed in a way that encourages toxic behaviour and that makes the communities absolutely awful.

Like, I've only ever had 1 truly bad moba experience and that was with a goon who promised he was not gonna get mad but then proceeded to do nothing but scream and shout because we weren't playing optimally, and that was not a fun time, especially since my fiancee was playing with us and she has PTSD and people shouting at her like that causes her to go into a panic and this goon was all "I don't care, she was playing badly!" and that's super lovely.

Then I hear stuff like that one guy from the competitive smash bros community who forced a little kid to give up his smash trophy, or the variety of stories regarding TF2 people getting pissy as hell, or the guys who ran their own CSGO gambling sites, all that poo poo.

Everything is bad, MOBAs don't seem any worse to me. They just seem longer.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
I'm sorry if it seems like I'm trying to say that the moba community is nice or anything like that. All I'm trying to say is that the moba community, in my personal experience from dealing with goons and randos across 3 separate mobas (LoL, Dota 2, Awesomenauts), they seem about as much of a mixed bag as other groups of people like the fighting game community.

Andrast posted:

It doesn't happen in every single match in those games.

It didn't happen in every single match for me vs pubbies either :shrug:

FirstAidKite fucked around with this message at 18:11 on May 2, 2017

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Sorry, I feel like I'm just making people mad and it's not my intention to do that.

Is it ok if we just drop the subject? I'll stop, sorry if I was causing anyone any problems.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Red Bones posted:

I laughed at the bit in the Code Vein trailer where they are fighting a souls-esque 12 ft fall human enemy and it turns around and has a generic anime girl face. It's a way of rendering people that gets more and more jarring for me the more detail and 3d-depth is added to everything else in a game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0JUcF6WdJM

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
The shadow hearts series has good battle music and also I'm not sure if the vocals on said battle music are actual lyrics or just gibberish

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Are those supposed to be smiley faces?

I'm pretty sure those are just smiley faces and I love it that this badass martial artist just wears an outfit covered in smiley faces. He looks like he's just wearing some dad pajamas.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Captain Invictus posted:

That's just karnov fanart

Please do not be rude to cool guy Yang

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Persona Q is the worst Persona game, please play every other Persona game instead

Andrast posted:

It's a bad Etrian Odyssey with bad caricatures of P3 and P4 characters in it

What's bad about PQ? I've heard the complaints about the caricature stuff though I guess with the game's story, that is kinda justified, but just because it is justified doesn't make it good. What about it makes it a bad etrian odyssey game though?

e: sorry I hosed up the spoiler tags :( I hope I didn't spoil the game for anyone

FirstAidKite fucked around with this message at 16:54 on May 3, 2017

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

oddium posted:

isn't that the villain's story in infamous

I imagine it's the story in a lot of games/media.

I mean, even the final boss of Zelda 2 is just link, but evil

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

The Colonel posted:

why is one of the characters in f.e.a.r a fat guy who sexually harasses people and wiggles his butt at you

He's the dennis nedry character

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
I thought they worshiped the bomb

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
I thought I'd heard that star ocean 5 was good, especially compared to 3 and 4. Did I hear wrong?

Also, this outfit will always make me laugh because lmao at how blatantly fanservice it is.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Sakurazuka posted:

Star Ocean 5 is the most hilariously low budget trying to pretend it's not games I've ever played.

Aside from not showing any action, what other kind of funny low budget stuff is there?

Spoderman posted:

The most frustrating thing about Star Ocean 5 is that they stuck one of the most engaging and interesting video game plots of the past 5 years behind such a low budget development and baffling design decisions.

What's the engaging and interesting video game plot

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Jay Rust posted:

What games do amnesia well?

Planescape Torment and...?

Amnesia the dark descent?

KOTOR1?

FF7?

Overlord?

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Spoderman posted:

You have to protect your home village with your female childhood friend. Along the way you find a mysterious young woman with amnesia, whose past is shrouded in mystery.

Oh you were joking ok my bad sorry

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
You know what was a neat game? Second Sight. I think that's what it was called. That Free Radical third person shooter game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

corn in the bible posted:

I have. They also made a Blair Witch Project game btw

Which one? The interesting-but-bad-one, the funny-but-bad-one, or the just-completely-outright-bad-one?

• Locked thread