Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

PantsBandit posted:

Guys all my friends started playing Heroes of the Storm for the OW stuff so I downloaded it and played a few games and I think I kind of like it?!?!

Quitting League of Legends was basically the smartest thing I ever did so I'm scared.

I played LOL for like 2 years a long rear end time ago and quit because the community is terrible and the meta is so rigid with roles and NO YOU CANNOT GO BOT YOU MUST JUNGLE.

I like playing Heroes of the Storm more simply because there's no items, no set lane roles, you can still change up characters by talent traits, and each map objective ensures that even people bad at engaging can still help out. It's also a lot faster than MOBAS and makes killstealing (which horrid people yell about all the time) a non-entity, all points and experience are universal.

It's a much more chilled out game and since it's playing catch-up you get all this poo poo for free now so it's the best time to jump in and play with once or twice a week. Def more of an "arcade" feel with how it plays so it's not as grindy or toxic.

Wildtortilla posted:

I spent a huge amount of time this weekend playing XCOM 2 and it was quite fun. I think I'm approaching the end game. If my soldiers can't launch grenades on their own I'm stuffing them in to armor with built in rocket launchers. My goal is to explode my way through the game as much as possible and nothing yet has deterred me in that mission.

enjoy destroying all the cover and buildings, friend. blowing up everything is a completely sound plan for the endgame especially when the enemies get clumped together for many end missions. IMO grenades helped more than my scout katanamens did.

DLC Inc fucked around with this message at 16:13 on May 1, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

I think you mean, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g_8KzyBl3mc

god I wish this got a rerelease on Steam or something

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

I love Kamiya

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

In Training posted:

I guess the NDA on Quake Champions is up. The shooting looks like Quake but the gun models are insanely ugly and there's 3 different kinds of currnecy and loot boxes and 8 layers of unnecessary bullshit on top, thankfully. Gotta love modern gaming!

I still have faith given that this is coming from id Software, which had virtually everything going against it from the word go last year and then turned out with one of the best games of the year.

Every multiplayer shooter not named Splatoon is bound to have loot boxes now, I've accepted that in my heart. I'd be more worried about it if this was coming from EA or Ubisoft. When is this coming out?

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Sakurazuka posted:

I'm really not liking Bioshock Infinite much. The dumb tone deaf story is eh whatever but what's really killing is the attempts to make it a modern shooter and it's basically babbies first linear FPS experience except I could have beaten three CoD games by now and it's still going.

When I first played it I thought the narrative was pretty bad and only got worse with convoluted time rift nonsense, which threw the more interesting political and racial themes out the window early. It looks good but the combat is nothing special at all. I remember when I got the first power which is some psychokinesis and all it amounts to is a loving grenade. Like, it's no different than if you threw a real grenade as opposed to this incredible power. At that juncture I was just like "oh."

The first Bioshock is better imo but it's fascinating to read how Bioshock Infinite is seen now.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

The Colonel posted:

you should grab dark souls 1 for five bucks in a steam sale if you're gonna gonna look into any of those kinds of games imo. it's a cheaper investment than buying something like code vein full price and possibly getting a less good game without knowing if you'll dig that kind of action rpg or not, i've been going through dark souls 1 for the first time through a lot of stuff and it holds up pretty well

or you could wait until it comes out on Switch, since DS3 was reported as running on it a while ago in some leaks and From Software's name was on that 3rd party list.

DS1 on a Switch would be interesting, wonder if it would run at 60fps

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

my biggest game purchase regrets probably were Xenoblade Chronicles X or Just Cause 3, both of which came out in the same 10-day span. Played JC3 after I had 2 wisdom teeth pulled and playing a game where explosions bring down the framerate to like 15fps in a game where explosions are the norm and also all the cool poo poo is locked behind godawful mini-trials ruined the game for me forever. This was on console, which made the game worse with every corrective "patch."

XCX was just poo poo-tier in every regard. Progression locked behind Ubisoft-tier "activate a pylon" poo poo, needlessly making combat complex to an obtuse level with all the new and actually worthless statuses, awful story and characters. I remember playing the previous game and going to places like Frontier Village and every NPC had so much personality. Then in XCX you can't even talk to anyone, they just stand there while that loving home base music loops over and over.

Goddamn I'm glad XC2 looks more like the first game, even if the designs still suck; I don't know why they won't return to how the characters looked in XC instead of turning up the animeface dial.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Harrow posted:

Persona 5 does it pretty well, mostly by just painting the eyes and mouths on characters' heads and letting shading do a lot of the work. Nobody would call it a super graphically-impressive game, but that's not the point and I'm glad the characters' faces aren't painful to look at.

Yeah I really like P4/5's art style, they don't go for some ultraweeb look and people look cartoony without being gross saucerplate-eyed aliens.

spudsbuckley posted:

You should never trust the opinion of someone who is on New Game+++++ or talks about doing a level 1/no potions/no pants run of a game.

These people are deeply broken and are far beyond being able to give a useful opinion about the game in question anymore.

From Software games

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

an actual dog posted:

I haven't seen a "persona isn't actually anime" discussion in the wild before but good job everyone.

literally nobody is saying this. there's just a huge gulf in the quality of persona games versus the gross doll faces in things like XCX. Games like Fire Emblem do this, too--the art style is eons above other stuff.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Nate RFB posted:

Isn't that crazy Guilty Gear game not cel shaded, but rather 3D models?

idk what hosed up futuristic tech ArcSys uses to create Guilty Gear Xrd but I hope everyone learns it or steals it

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Quest For Glory II posted:

the e3 thread will be ready to go as soon as ubisoft and nintendo say when they're doing their thing which i'm assuming will be sometime this week

three of the conferences are on the weekend this year and for some reason the really boring PC Gaming Show is going to be at noon rather than late at night where it belongs as a sleep aid

I'm looking forward to the Nintendo, Sony, and Bethesda conferences. Microsoft's gonna live or die based on whether the Scorpio has games. Ubisoft has burned me on every loving game they released this year so I'm never buying into their horseshit ever again.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

now all sega has to do is start putting the Yakuza games on PC so everyone can enjoy them forever

also get on Madworld/Anarchy Reigns

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

No idea what will happen to IOI or the Hitman name but Square should absolutely sell Deus Ex to Zenimax so the boys at Arkane can have it. Give Harvey Smith his baby back.

Hitman getting shitcanned is a tragedy and I'm more surprised than ever that Nier even got made. I'd rather have a dozen more Hitman seasons than a single Final Fantasy.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Cowcaster posted:

is final fantasy even a huge draw itself these days? i know it's still in triple A territory but I thought its heyday was long past compared to market busters like call of duty or uncharted etc. etc.

FF15 was what made them most of their profit, I assume. FF7 is probably the next gangbuster but who knows if splitting it into episodes will kill them or not.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

X-2 at least was upfront about you retrieving macguffins that are inherently worthless, which is hilarious. getting a sphere that shows just static...masterful.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

idk how I feel about "games for 2017" + Mario

maybe a few new things are being released between June and November but I guess they're focusing more on the here and now, not so much on anything for 2018? If Virtual Console isn't on the docket idk what else is beyond ARMS/Spla2n.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Wow, didn't know WB Games was that close to getting Hitman. I wonder if they still would have gotten Rocksteady if they succeeded? Things could have been very different.

Squeenix doesn't seem to know what the gently caress they are doing with anything not named Final Fantasy so I have to wonder how hosed up the Avengers game will be. The Spider-Man game has at least some pedigree behind it with Insomniac and Sony footing the development.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

tap my mountain posted:

It probably doesn't help that it starts off pretty poorly. I quit after getting bored with that Russian airport level and I haven't played it since.

you have a bright future writing for IGN

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Since Mass Effect, Deus Ex, and Hitman are all dead, I require at least 1 Metroid game and/or 1 Vanillaware game to balance things out

I almost said "Dead Space" but I have zero faith in EA to do absolutely anything

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

In Training posted:

That vanillaware mech game should be coming out this year right? Although there hasn't been any actual gameplay or information beyond "we are working on it" and "check out this drawing of a mecha girl"

literally googled it right now and it turns out, it's going to be at E3! http://gematsu.com/2017/04/13-sentinels-aegis-rim-appear-e3-2017

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

bloodychill posted:

Some people would have but no one would have guessed the truth, which was that it would be Guerilla Games.

Death Stranding isn't coming out for a few years

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

BexGu posted:

You got a good System Shock-ish game for those franchise sacrifice.

I suppose Prey semi-counts as a new Metroid

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

FauxLeather posted:

I'm sure we can all agree that it'll be a tragedy if Rap Rabbit doesn't appear in Playstation All Stars Battle Royale 2.

It'd be a tragedy if Playstation All Stars Battle Royale 2 became a thing

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Shadow Warrior 2 is finally coming to console May 19th. Been waiting on this a long long time since the initial reviews on the PC seemed really good, anyone else played it last year?

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Harrow posted:

I'm really curious whether Ubisoft's going to make actual substantive changes to Assassin's Creed with the new one or just go "it's Assassin's Creed... but in Egypt" and copy/paste towers and open world objectives everywhere and have some sort of hilarious explanation for why you can have an automatic retracting grappling hook

It seems like a good opportunity to "go back to the series's routes" and put a lot of effort into the actual assassination missions but, well, this is Ubisoft we're talking about so I guarantee that's not their first instinct.

Wildlands and For Honor were both announced recently as being the #1 and #2 bestselling games of 2017 thus far, despite the former being a vaguely worse MGSV and the latter having almost no content and poo poo-tier connection. Ubisoft could make pure dogshit at this point and make billions, they're never going to give a gently caress about trying hard.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Lurdiak posted:

Zelda's multiplatform.

more people bought zelda switch than actual switches which is crazy

I guess it makes sense that games on XB1/PS4/PC sold better than stuff only on PS4 or on Switch. poo poo like Zelda, Persona, Horizon, Yakuza won't reach that plateau.

All the PC reviews for those two Ubisoft games are "Mediocre" though so I guess it's like The Division, another game everyone bought at launch and then a month later decided was poo poo

Guy Mann posted:

But goons tell me that Ubisoft has spent years on the verge of bankruptcy and is totally going to get bought out by Vivendi any day now for realsies?

there's a difference between a hostile takeover and going bankrupt

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

far cry 5 is entering a world where every Zenimax game in the last 2 years has eaten their lunch so I hope the "wild west setting" is true because gently caress another game on an island of malaysian locals who hate your guts

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Far Cry Cop Edition would be hilarious if only for the Polygon articles about it

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Serf posted:

Man Dead Cells is so much fun. I don't usually like this type of game but it is really clicking with me for some reason.

from the giantbomb video I saw it looks like Rogue Legacy but way better. I thought the *idea* and concept of Rogue Legacy was cool but was bored to tears by the simplistic gameplay and worthless "heritage trait" system. Dead Cells looks 100x better and with actual combat and cooler skills. I was holding off on it but might not be able to much longer.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

I loved Far Cry 4 because it was my first one so I hadn't been burned out yet. It's been a long while since the last one (gently caress Primal) so this is one Ubisoft series I actually am looking forward to. Good to get off those islands and into Montana which should be.....interesting

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Snak posted:

So it's gonna be Far Cry: RED STATE.

I would probably play that.

presuming that focus group story is what we get, that would be loving great and would likely be a far better "jim jones horror game" than Outlast 2 was trying to be.

Sunning posted:

Ubisoft's editorial board hates fantasy and space age sci-fi themes in their AAA games. So any game wanting a big budget needs to be either grounded in history or have a framing device for the fantastical content. For example, For Honor was originally going to have an animus-like simulator for the gameplay before they had a natural disaster make vikings and samurai fight each other.

they hate sci fi poo poo yet they crammed that loving bullshit animus into everything? Maybe it's a good thing this company is going to be under hostile takeover.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Red Dead 2 coming out Spring 2018 now

Well that's one off the list

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

so no update about if they are taking the Hitman IP with them or not, I guess

gently caress Squeenix

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Unless Sarkeesian was the one who suggested a big empty world with nothing interesting to do, I don't think I can blame her for Mirror's Edge Catalyst getting lukewarm reception. Game could have easily done much better if it was just select-a-level like the first one. Not everything needs a boring tedious hubworld to waste time in, but EA and DICE dove into that poo poo stark-naked because it was the hot thing to do.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Far Cry is the only Ubi game I adore and Far Cry 5: Redneck Doomsday Cult Edition looks like it'll be fun

http://kotaku.com/ubisoft-is-showing-off-this-key-art-for-the-upcoming-1795507331

Realy looking forward to Preview Day on Friday for Shadow Of War and FC5. It's like 2014 all over again!

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

why do so many white dudes have that loving haircut though

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Saint Freak posted:

Do you mean The Pidgeotto?

I wish this was the official name for whatever it is

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

personally I'm hoping for Everybody Wants To Rule The World. The original version, not the gently caress-awful Lorde version

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

this "finally I can just kill all the white people" take is beyond embarrassing so I hope this turns out to just be weirdos in a cult and that's it, much like Resident Evil 7

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

his podcast is horrific and the person he does them with has the most godawful voice ever

• Locked thread