Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Not good design

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

I'm pleasantly surprised that there are some new IPs in that list.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Finally finished off the Dark Souls 3 DLC. I enjoyed it very much

Reading up about people's reactions to it and the series in general, it's pretty amazing. Lots of complicated feelings. Seems like it's a very important franchise for a lot of people, and picking through the divergent opinions of what made it good and how it got better or worse is something I just might explore over the next few days.

Maybe I'm just blinded by that postcredits ecstasy but from where I'm standing all of the Souls games are definite G5F5

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Lowest Souls point for me is any of the optional areas in the DS2 DLCs

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Sakurazuka posted:

My only real beef with DS3 is the amount of multi-phase bosses with separate health bars, after a while there was no sense of relief the first time you 'beat' something because you just knew it was gonna pull out another phase or whatever

Yeah I can only tolerate it because the Two Princes fight made it work really well

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Is Dark Souls closer to a sandwich or an anime?

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Upgrade materials will eventually rain from the heavens. You literally cannot go wrong

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Is there a meaningful difference between fanart and fanfiction, really

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

I don't think "pulls themes and character archetypes from much older pieces of literature" is fan fiction

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Is Prey 2017 spooky scary?

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

This is a weird page

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Prey seems stressful

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Some of it feels pretty dated so it depends on your tolerance for corridors and general unfriendliness.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Guts is a popular character from Dark Souls

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Over 5,300 hours of CS:GO :stare:

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Dark Souls 2 is arguably easier than any of the others in the series so start with that

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Not super sure going 3D is the right direction for it...

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Didn't Halo popularize the now-standard two-weapon limit and regenerating health?

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Wow, racist

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

I've read reactions to it a while ago, turns out the Souls fandom is so fractured that Dark Souls 3 as a whole is both the best thing and the worst thing From has ever done

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Anyone play any good video games recently?

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Yup

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Here's my goon rant:

Hitman 2016 is good. My favourite game of last year. To see its future die like this is quite disappointing.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Does Prey have item durability? This is what decides whether or not I buy it

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

How well does it do item scarcity?

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Cowcaster posted:

ammo is very scarce just by scavenging, but you can shove all the garbage you find looting the station into these big fancy recycling bins that breaks them into resources, and then you can chuck those resources in fabricators you can find to generate ammunition and equipment

gently caress it does seem real cool. I'm trying to rationalize why I don't really want to play it, and I think I just have to admit that I'm a wimp who can't play scary games, or even spooky ones

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

If they can move on their own

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

The Colonel posted:

what if you were trying to sip out of a coffee mug... and then the mug suddenly and violently splashed the coffee on your pants

Wow, that's like a very real fear I have every morning.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Could be a Witcher 3 situation where you're better off without the music.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

I got trapped there too, if it helps. I kept trying to distract the gate guards instead.

Thankfully I eventually made my way through and enjoyed the rest of GotY 2016

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

I'm still waiting for the true Halo killer.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

I first played Blood Money a little over a year ago. It was my first Hitman game and I really got into it. It does hold up.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Why do streamers' videos on YouTube put their twitch chat on screen, I have to hold my tablet in such a way to hide it with my thumb. I'm sure spamming pepe emojis is great fun, but gently caress is it distracting. I'd take a facecam over that garbage

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

We're already living in an American Nightmare!!

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

The arousal I felt at age fifteen at the mere implication of sex in Fable 1 was very real.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Typical, the token female character gets maxed out GUN

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

So video games can't be true horror because you eventually have to win encounters in order to progress.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

I'm just pointing out that unlike movies or novels, video game protagonists have to win at some point because gameplay demands it.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Lurdiak posted:

There's a reason a lot of horror video games don't have good endings.

Sure. I'm referring to the fact that there are obstacles you're forced to overcome before even reaching that ending. If you fail you get to try again. There's something implicitly empowering about that. To me anyway. I don't usually play scary games because I don't like being scared.

StrixNebulosa posted:

...they do?

Sir have you played Pathologic

No but its Wikipedia description makes it sound really loving cool

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

He gets a hot new surrogate wife

• Locked thread