Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

StrixNebulosa posted:

My friend's all "oh hey Thief is on sale should I get that?" and she means the modern thief and ehhhhhhh

I pointed her to Sleepy Dogs to at least have a comparison for what you can get for 6$.

Thief 4 is one of those games where you hear the complaints about it and think "oh this must just be fans bitching because they changed their beloved series" but then you play it and realize no, it's actually just bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

In Training posted:

I want more fixed camera angle games

You know what I genuinely miss? Prerendered backgrounds. I'm sure it's nostalgia talking but I was always really fond of all the detail artists managed to cram into those in the Resident Evil/Parasite Eve heyday and while I don't find the pixel art trend as abhorrent as some, I kinda wish that someone would jumpstart a prerendered background revival.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

chumbler posted:

Perhaps what you really miss is actual art direction, which prerendered backgrounds kind of go hand in hand with. Though they are of course not the only way to do it.

I mean I do appreciate good art direction but I don't feel as though modern gaming is bereft of that.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Help Im Alive posted:

You can't quit a game in the first dungeon, you'll go to gamer hell

I was going to make a joke about "gamer hell is other gamers" but then I realized that was literally true.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Quest For Glory II posted:

but that's not something you can just do on the regular unless you want to die in 5 years

Hell, who doesn't.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
I kind of wish there was a Prey demo besides "lol use Steam refunds" because everybody is making it sound like a real rad game but my computer doesn't mean the recommended specs so I'm worried it'll perform poorly.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

corn in the bible posted:

so use a steam refund

I mean presumably a demo would also be quicker to download as well, so that would be nice.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
Re: Halo, I remember that the hype for Halo 2 was through the roof and that the actual reaction when it was released was a sort of delayed-reaction "uh, okay, that was it?" Like obviously people didn't recoil in disgust from it or anything hyperbolic but I remember seeing that a lot of people were disappointed that there was a lot less of an emphasis on "the Covenant come to Earth and you have to fight them here" than the E3 trailers had led people to believe, the actual time you spend on Earth is in fact pretty minor. It also had optimization issues (real bad texture loading/pop-in problems in cutscenes) and it ended super abruptly on an unsatisfying cliffhanger. I don't think any of this was enough to "damage the brand" or whatever but even Bungie themselves admitted that Halo 2 was kind of sub-par and they had a number of regrets.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
I think, like Halo games for the gameplay or not, you have to admit that the 343 Halos are really lacking for not having a Marty O'Donnell score, the music in Halo 4 and 5 is just so fuckin forgettable. Literally, I can't actually remember any bit of those games' soundtracks while I'll probably have bits of the OTrilogy's music stuck in my head until I die. Now ODST, that was a game with a good score. Give me some sweet saxophone music to shoot aliens by.

The Colonel posted:

now let's talk about a real fps classic, star wars: republic commando

Honestly this game was way better than it had any right to be and I'm forever disappointed that the proposed sequel never came to light.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

VideoGames posted:

I am a huge fan of video game music.

Well I mean that follows.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Macarius Wrench posted:

Am i miss-remembering or did Halo 1 only have 4 enemy types.

Off the top of my head you have grunts, jackals, hunters, elites, three different kinds of Flood, and then enemy vehicles if those count. They added brutes and the flying insects in 2 onward.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
Evocative nomenclature has always been something Bungie was good at, going back to stuff like Myth and Marathon. This is something else that 343 Industries isn't very good at in comparison.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

tap my mountain posted:

That's the problem with overwatch now. All the casual players have dropped it

I highly doubt this is the case. In fact I'm willing to bet that competitive players are a distinct minority compared to people who do quickplay, arcade, or custom games.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

tap my mountain posted:

I used the wrong terminology. I meant to say all the newbies have either quit or become more skilled and there aren't a lot of brand new players picking the game up.

The skill level at the lowest level of play is much higher now than it was at launch and thus makes it very hard to get started.

Ehhhhhhh...maybe? I mean yeah, it's no longer ground floor where literally everybody has no idea what they're doing but, just to take an example from the competitive ladder, according to Blizzard only something like 10% of people who participate in comp are at Diamond rank or above. So plat, gold, silver, and bronze make up the majority of even tryhard players, and I can assure you that those ranks aren't really at a much higher level of skill than existed since the game was new. People are still bad at aiming, they still trickle in one at a time, they still ignore the objective, etc. Extrapolating out from there into the quickplay populace where teamwork is frequently a foreign concept, I'd say it's more than likely that while the overall skill level of the playerbase may have risen a non-zero amount that it hasn't become an insurmountable cliff, especially to anyone who's ever played any sort of FPS before.

Like at one point Blizzard was bragging about having a playerbase around 20 million, and even if that's shrunk by 50% since then (I'm sure it's shrunk, I have no idea by how much) I doubt the remainder have all put themselves on a pedestal above the reach of incoming newbies. I think it's more likely that sometimes you just get randomly matched up against people that are better than you which is a thing you encounter in pretty much any online multiplayer game.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

DLC Inc posted:

Since Mass Effect, Deus Ex, and Hitman are all dead, I require at least 1 Metroid game and/or 1 Vanillaware game to balance things out

I almost said "Dead Space" but I have zero faith in EA to do absolutely anything

Dead Space is unironically dead as far as I know which is a crying shame, I really enjoyed 1 and 2, especially the evolution of Isaac Clarke from silent protagonist to eternally pissed-off corpse stomper. Boy, EA sure does love making GBS threads up and squandering various franchises.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
I mean we live in a day and age when Yoko Taro gets to collaborate on a game with Platinum and Shenmue 3 is in development so I'm just gonna say that Alpha Protocol 2 isn't a fantasy that's completely outside the realm of possibility. Hell, it may be more plausible than Beyond Good & Evil 2 at this point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

The Kins posted:

Yoko Taro was the Special Favourite Boy of certain Square-Enix execs (including, at one point, their CEO), which is why he kept getting work with them despite a lack of non-cult success until very recently. Alpha Protocol is a bit of a different situation where I'm pretty sure the relationship between Obsidian and Sega wasn't great even during development.

Also, Avellone doesn't work at Obsidian anymore. Which doesn't help matters, let's be honest here.

I think the same people not being involved might actually improve the chances of a sequel being made given, as you noted, how tumultuous the original development was. Whether that would lead to a sequel that was any good is a matter for debate admittedly (see: Mass Effect Andromeda).

• Locked thread