Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Nasgate posted:

I for one, am excited to see all my non-nerdy friends make may the 4th posts on social media like they even know what a midichlorian is.

Wait; you're using knowledge of midichlorians, the single most controversial and possibly hated element of the star wars prequel series, as proof of expert knowledge of and love for star wars??

Pick ANYTHING else!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Snak posted:

No one watches credits already.

Exactly. Credits are for the people in them, and nobody else cares.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

StrixNebulosa posted:

On a less yea/nay stance I ask: what game that wasn't put out this year have you guys been enjoying most so far? Or do you folks here play exclusively new releases?

On my end I've been chained to Euro Truck Sim 2 again as it's soothing and great for podcasts, but I've also been dipping my toes into wargames with Panzer Corp and Ultimate General: Gettysburg. (Mostly 'cause I've been listening to a strategy game podcast and it convinced me to check these out.) I'm really, really bad at winning battles or wars, but it's fun to try, and I appreciate how easy these games are to pick up and play for a newbie.

I still play a lot of GTA V Online with my cousin. Its just good for loving around and shooting the poo poo. Plus they keep updating it.

And I'm always popping in different old SNES or N64 games here and there. Lately I was playing Mega Man X2 which is just always a blast.

But in between I'm also playing new releases Hollow Knight and Mario Kart 8 Deluxe :)

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Phantasium posted:

Was that supposed to have a joke in it?

I did laugh at

"you're worse than hitler"

"its too late for flattery"

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Mordja posted:

Apropos of nothing, anyone remember how the Five Nights At Freddies guy was going on about how his latest game was so sick and twisted that he couldn't in good conscience release it except then he did? Anything come of that, or was it a load of guff and self-manufactured controversy/marketing?

You mean the game that everybody ripped to poo poo so he released it totally for free and gave everybody refunds and aplogized?

I feel bad for that guy. Gamers can be really demanding sometimes :smith:

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

PvE Dota would just be Diablo :v:

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

The White Dragon posted:

well i stand corrected. i figured it was like hbo or whatever, but maybe premium channels have changed their policy since i wanted to watch The Brink a few years ago.

Even HBO realized they were being dumb so now you can subscribe to HBO NOW

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

:lol: This rules

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Andrast posted:

It's Assassin's creed, it's not going to be interesting

Nothing Assassin's Creed could ever be interesting again. Ubisoft has shown they've run out of all creativity and really don't give a gently caress.

Assassin's Creed is like the anti-open-world game. Huge open world, but you can't ever do poo poo but exactly what they tell you to do.

I miss AC1 when it was actually a game about assassinating, and not a movie about leonardo da vinci and george washington.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Sakurazuka posted:

The DMC3 PC is port is infamously bad, it's the reason Capcom decided to start porting stuff themselves instead of leaving it to the lowest bidder.

Nah, that was the Resident Evil 4 PC port that finally did them in. The port for PC that didn't have mouse support (???) or real-time lighting (?!???) and all the cutscenes were pre-rendered on the gamecube (!?!?!?!?!!)

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

wow

oddium posted:

who's guts

:frogout:

Jay Rust posted:

Guts is a popular character from Dark Souls

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Guy Mann posted:

If there was a Wario version of Bowser, would his name be Wowser?

A good guy dinosaur / dragon (what is bowser anyways) named Wowser sounds really cool :allears:

ᘀowser

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Mak0rz posted:

he's a koopa

But he looks nothing like the other koopas

And what is a koopa? And what is a yoshi? :tinfoil: they're both dinosaur-dragon-things.

Is a Yoshi like a good Koopa like a Mogwai? :tinfoil: :tinfoil: Don't feed Yoshis after midnight!

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Guy Goodbody posted:

What happened to Halo? It used to be a superhuge series but now nobody cares about Halo.

The company that made Halo (Bungie) got tired of doing the same thing over and over and tried something new (Destiny) which was bad.

Meanwhile they sold the rights to Microsoft because Microsoft just wanted more and more of their cash cow, but then Microsoft hired a bunch of the wrong people and just tried to churn out focus-tested games that had no soul, so they were crap.

That's the story of Halo :smith:

Lizard Wizard posted:

A yoshi is a good boshi

Ah ya got me there, I forgot about ole Boshi race

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

The Moon Monster posted:

The rat king covenant rewards you one for successfully hunting an intruder, so it's potentially unlimited. As a rule thumb don't use any lockstones in the two rat king areas unless you want to participate in the covenant.

Eh, you gotta use some lockstones in the rat areas to get treasures. But yeah, you can get plenty of them easy once you in the late game. Lockstones are only rare early on.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Jay Rust posted:

Didn't Halo popularize the now-standard two-weapon limit and regenerating health?

Yes Halo popularized the two-weapon limit, and they did it because the game was originally third person (well originally an RTS but then TPS and only later FPS) and they were going to have you see one gun in the guy's hand and the other gun on the guy's back so they didn't even need a UI for weapons beyond ammo.

But then it became a FPS but they kept it that way.

But yeah, Halo 1 had shields and health, which was pretty fair. It was COD that did the "blood screen for 5 seconds, back to full health" thing that's so popular and :effort: these days.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Guy Goodbody posted:

I wish they would do a stealth based Resident Evil

7 is pretty close?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Lizard Wizard posted:

Why is Royal Rat Authority just a dog?

Because its probably a reskin of the animations/code they used for Sif in Dark Souls 1 :ssh:

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ifUJ5--4tjI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xLjphhzDDrY

Captain Invictus posted:

Halo good

Halo 2 good, end bad

Halo 3 good, end good

Halo amazing (but library sucks)

Halo 2 best multi worst single

Halo 3 pretty great multi good single but a couple stinker levels

ODST better than I thought it would be. Halo: Nathan Fillion edition.

Reach pretty good, multi started good but went downhill

4, 5 - basically the prequel trilogy of star wars when it comes to Halo

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 07:49 on May 9, 2017

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Macarius Wrench posted:

I remember playing the library in one sitting and while it wasnt great, if that's the low point of the Halo series its doing no bad.

That's the low point of halo 1. That's way way way way better than anything in Halo 4 or 5.

Seriously Halo 4 and 5 are Star Wars Episodes 1 and 2 levels of awful. If they make a 6 it'll be Episode 3.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Captain Invictus posted:

People's hatred of the library probably stem from co-op or especially solo legendary playthroughs, where rocket launcher flood routinely showed up out of nowhere and basically any splash from a rocket would instagib you.

Well also the second half of Halo's campaign was already "do that again backwards" but Library sticks out as especially copy & paste.

Its literally the same hallway done like 3 times in a row on 3 different floors, then the level is over.

And yeah, the whole thing is just a slog of fighting the flood. No vehicles, nothing fun, no big open spaces, no cool island setpieces. Just flood hallways.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Help Im Alive posted:

I was thinking it's impressive how good RDR's open world was since wild west just makes me think of like barren plains/brown rocks/tumbleweed

has anyone managed to make a fun video game desert yet

Does Journey count?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

:allears: should have sent a poet

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Jay Rust posted:

FF12 is 85% gorgeous desert, 15% sandstorms

Oh poo poo good point

• Locked thread