Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i started playing condemned: criminal origins and outside of a bunch of weird technical issues because lithtech is a bad engine it is a pretty ok game where a fellow fbi agent gives you pointers on the differences between using an axe and using a pipe to brutally kill people

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
what the gently caress is that simpsons clip

also there's a lot of genuinely really good stuff in the earlier seasons imo, even when they're not strictly funny they're pretty entertaining to watch and the rougher animation in the really early seasons has a lot of personality

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i'm pretty sure every disgaea game is better than disgaea 1

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
prinnies actually do count as kills but only in the og ps2 version of disgaea apparently

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

MinibarMatchman posted:

I think you mean, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g_8KzyBl3mc

god I wish this got a rerelease on Steam or something

the bright side is that both versions of it emulate really well and it looks loving nuts in hd

plus if you emulate the gamecube version you can gently caress with the game camera and see how the lighting works behind the scenes

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i want to finish phantom brave because it has a really great world and character writing, and one of the side characters like canonically gets taken through a portal into the soul nomad world and has a full arc spanning both games, but the gameplay is poop from a butt

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
anime is good but code vein might not be because it's by the same team as god eater and they're bad at making combat satisfying based on what everyone says about those games

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i give permission to judge code vein based off of trashy anime because that's basically what god eater was and what code vein is probably going to be

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Macarius Wrench posted:

Well, any suggestions?

samurai champloo, one punch man and the two things those other guys mentioned are really good shows/movie that you can probably get into even if you do not particularly dig anime

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Bogart posted:

Can somebody explain the whole Fate/Stay Night series. As a fan of Persona and fake history, would I like it? All I know about it is some vague memory of the PM (pre-meme) era 4chan Unlimited Blade Works joke.

echoing everything already said, but also worth mentioning there's an updated release of f/sn that cuts out all the sexual content including the aforementioned sexual abuse. people mention fate/zero a lot but i wouldn't recommend starting with it at all even though it's a prequel, it technically spoils some really big reveals and it's just kind of a way edgier and dumber story than f/sn and will give you a very different idea of what the series in general is like if you're actually trying to get into it

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i like how condemned's gameplay makes it look like a game that's just all about brutal violent horror but then you get to the cutscenes and the crime scene portions and it becomes a mix of way weirder, goofier horror and a paranormal crime procedural and the main character is just kind of a police dude who happens to have a weird brain and a reinforced skeleton

which makes it more lol how condemned 2 apparently goes back on all of that and also throws in the illuminati

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Dewgy posted:

Both Condemned games are great. The second one kind of goes off the rails (ok, very much goes off the rails) but it's worth it for the great combat and the bear. Oh my god that bear level.

i'd like to play it but it's the one monolith fps that never got ported to pc. rip

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
berseria has pretty good combat and if you have any trouble with it you can turn down the difficulty wherever you're having trouble and it's pretty much a cake walk. it's the absolute best game in the series, it's a bit slow for act 1 but like immediately after that it picks up into something really great that keeps building momentum and getting better and better until you reach the end, and velvet is one of the best jrpg protags ever

for trails, starting with the first game in either sky or cold steel are both equally valid. sky is the first one in the series and it's really good but if you want a more refined game cold steel is also written so you can just jump right in

The Colonel fucked around with this message at 19:59 on May 2, 2017

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i'm still holding out hope for the crossbell games, the weird in-between duology of trails that takes place around the same point in time as cold steel and centers around you playing as a cop beating up criminals with cyber tonfas in a small city caught in a land dispute between two gargantuan nations

Nasgate posted:

Does berseria get some mileage if you played vesperia(i think that's the thousand year sequal)?
Because vesp is kind of dragging and I put it down 2 months ago because of it, but possibly getting more enjoyment out of its improved prequel might motivate me to finally beat a Tales game.

vesperia is not remotely connected to berseria. berseria is a distant prequel to tales of zestiria, but you don't have to play tales of zestiria and in fact probably shouldn't because there are only a few important connections and none of them are critical to enjoying berseria, and in fact add nothing but frustration. tales of zestiria is a very bad game and the only things you'll get from understanding the connections is an understanding of how much berseria had to mop up its mess

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
tales of zestiria may well be the only time an anime adaptation of a video game has been a more interesting, well-structured story than the video game it is adapting, and i would recommend watching that instead of playing the game itself. it's still not perfect but it lends so much more weight to anything and more development for a bunch of characters than the game ever even attempted to do

The Colonel fucked around with this message at 20:11 on May 2, 2017

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

tap my mountain posted:

I hope Core Vein is good as a souls knockoff, but it better bring something new to the formula other than anime faces.

it will bring more music from the guy who gave us this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UXDCtfZpEQw

so that's almost enough to justify it existing

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
you should grab dark souls 1 for five bucks in a steam sale if you're gonna gonna look into any of those kinds of games imo. it's a cheaper investment than buying something like code vein full price and possibly getting a less good game without knowing if you'll dig that kind of action rpg or not, i've been going through dark souls 1 for the first time through a lot of stuff and it holds up pretty well

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
hideaki itsuno rising out of box labeled "dragon's dogma 2???": i have heard your prayers my gamers. you have called for the return of a legend. and so i give you

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i think the bigger problem is less going to be cutscenes themselves and more that god eater plot stuff is just pretty boring and this looks sort of similar

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Cowcaster posted:

it's legendary for being bad, right up there alongside the original resident evil 4 port. capcom was bad at porting games at first

dmc3 and re4 were actually ported by ubisoft

also if you're playing dmc3 on pc, use the style switcher mod. the game runs like poo poo without it and, uh, still sort of does with it but not as much???

The Colonel fucked around with this message at 01:14 on May 3, 2017

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Desperate Character posted:

ugh I started playing breath of the wild after nier:automata and the slow start to it just killed my interest. Nintendo just needs to drop tutorials and intro areas entirely.

the tutorial is pretty drat short dude

it's a bit long for replays but if you really wanna get through it fast you don't need to spend a whole lot of time on it

The Colonel fucked around with this message at 02:09 on May 3, 2017

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
the solution to the stamina meter is to carry a giant pile of pot lids so you can shield surf everywhere until all of your pot lids break

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Mak0rz posted:

Which is whatever but he went on and on with the Zero Wing dialog and the joke just kind of worn out its welcome :geno:

The other joke with this guy though is that he's a Dracula reference (he had all the staple moves as his Castlevania counterpart) but he was naked under his cape and when he opened it to shoot fireballs his junk was covered by a mosaic filter. That was pretty funny.

considering this was originally a japanese indie game, that might have been added in by the translation, but i guess it depends on whether that meme ever had any sort of presence over there, and i'm not sure what the original text could be that would result in them doing something like that

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
playing condemned and fear is making me miss no one lives forever. i kind of think both the nolf games play like complete rear end, but i really appreciate that the writing in them was actually really fun and goofy in a way that made me ok with just listening to guard chatter, while playing fear just makes me wonder when the big scripted scenes will end so i can get back to flying kicking super soldiers, and the ending of condemned was just really loving stupid and lame.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

chumbler posted:

Yeah I recall that engine being kinda assy, but the games were charming and had neat level ideas.

the engine wasn't the only problem, nolf1 insisted on cate being a super stealther but it was almost impossible to be stealthy because the game has virtually no mechanics for stealth or good ways to nonlethally dispatch enemies but also enemies have insanely accurate aim so going gun crazy gets you shot up really fast and sometimes getting caught is a failure condition

nolf2 is a lot better but it still suffers from going in heavier on stealth in its level design without any real solid mechanics for it, they added a shadow system but the system is literally "if you crouch in a room with the lights off for a few seconds you become invisible" and the only upside is that the shooting is better

they're still better than shogo: mobile armor division which is basically the 90s version of titanfall but less fun and written by people who wanted to write edgy gundam/robotech fanfiction that just hits this weird area where it is both full of goofy humor but you are also murdering dozens of people violently and neither side of the game's writing reconciles itself with the other

The Colonel fucked around with this message at 07:39 on May 3, 2017

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Phantasium posted:

Neither one of you said the name of the game. :colbert:

it's Bunny Must Die! Chelsea and the Seven Devils

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
why is one of the characters in f.e.a.r a fat guy who sexually harasses people and wiggles his butt at you

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
posting g1 transformers is ok because there is a g1 transformers video game that is pretty decent

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
mega man zero 1 has the worst lives system of any game ever made and is in general extremely bullshit and less fun than every zero game after it

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
mega man zero 2's unskippable cutscenes make it hard to replay but zero 3 and 4 are the best mega man games ever created

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Cowcaster posted:

i don't think that any of the gba ones can be considered the best megaman games taking into account they were trying to have insanely detailed pixel art on a screen with like a 100x100 resolution so your character wound up taking about 60% of the total screen real estate giving you approximately 6 inches of peripheral vision to work with

i love mega man games and zero 3 and 4 are probably the best designed ones ever in terms of bosses and levels even in spite of that

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i like how in the fallout 3 megaton questline, even though the game lets you target guns, if you shoot the gun out of mr. burke's hand before he shoots the sheriff, the game doesn't know how to handle it so they both walk out and the sheriff just immediately dies for no reason

it's kind of hilarious and i can understand why it happens but i'm sad they really didn't take that part of VATS targeting into account to let you pull an outcome where both of them survive

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
remember the tenpenny tower quest where the ending that's portrayed as the good one later has the ghouls murder everyone inside and stuff their bodies in the basement, including the people who were always cool with them

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i'm pretty sure the new flintstones is not un-self aware of how weird and dumb its very concept is, considering the panels i've seen posted online of it

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Monkey Fracas posted:

I played New Vegas first and then tried to go back to FO3 years after I played New Vegas, which was a mistake

My first partner character died from walking off of a cliff

i really like new vegas. looking back on it now, it has a lot of issues, for me some of the biggest are how cherchez la femme is very limited and the few times you do get to use it are sort of weird, but compared to fallout 3 probably one of the biggest things that makes me dig it more is that it has such a stronger, funnier and more human cast of followers, while everyone in fallout 3 was either one note or horribly loving dull

Serf posted:

Yeah that ending is the good one, what's the deal.

they murder the friendly radio show guy who isn't even weird or a dick!!

The Colonel fucked around with this message at 22:00 on May 3, 2017

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Palpek posted:

Is there any game that comes close to featuring the studio's boss as an in-game character 3D modelled in detail complete with his glasses, having super stats and being at one point refered to as "God"?

segagaga has the opposite, with several characters being photos of actual sega employees who you brutally beat down and force to make video games for you

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
the nes games are ok but i don't think they have nearly as much longevity as the x or zero games, even if x2, x3, x5 and x8 aren't great and x6 and x7 are straight-up rear end

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
mega man zero 3 has maybe the best last boss in any mega man game ever made, because it's just a rival battle with cool music

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
a demo disc that is just a piece of paper with the game boxart and you flip it over and there's scribbled words saying "demo available on the playstation store"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
my biggest regret is the walking dead: season 2 i guess, even though it wasn't really goon pressure. i really liked season 1 but, season 2 turned out to be, maybe the worst episodic adventure game thing i have ever played

i really like tales from the borderlands but that comes from a position of kind of hating mainline borderlands because i think the actual shooting in those games feels like poop and the writing is insanely bad and the games are filled with really one-note joke characters that i absolutely hate, so a lot of my love for it is that i think it's just a more fun story with more likable takes on its characters than any other game in the series. i also like it a lot because it's basically the only game telltale's made since the walking dead s1 that doesn't just absolutely fall to loving pieces holy poo poo everything after they revealed the crooked man in the wolf among us was so lazy and dumb

• Locked thread