Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

StrixNebulosa posted:

On a less yea/nay stance I ask: what game that wasn't put out this year have you guys been enjoying most so far? Or do you folks here play exclusively new releases?

The Witcher 3, which is destroying my life. Almost 60 hours in and I'd guess I've done half of the main plot, not counting the two expansions.

Lakbay posted:

Does everyone focus on one game at a time, juggle a bunch of games at once, or buy games but just go back to dota 2/overwatch/rocket league/etc

I focus on one game at a time

Most of the time I'll cycle around 2 games or so , one slow - usually some sort of RPG or Point'n'Click - and one fast - Some action packed game like a FPS.

Unrelated: Reggies sheds some light on the discontinuation of the NES Classic

quote:

"We had originally planned for this to be a product for last holiday," Fils-Aimé told TIME. "We just didn't anticipate how incredible the response would be. Once we saw that response, we added shipments and extended the product for as long as we could to meet more of that consumer demand."

But Fils-Aime did suggest the reason why the company pulled the brakes on a system amidst unprecedented demand. "Even with that extraordinary level of performance, we understand that people are frustrated about not being able to find the system, and for that we really do apologize," he said. "But from our perspective, it's important to recognize where our future is and the key areas that we need to drive. We've got a lot going on right now and we don't have unlimited resources."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

Opened my eyes.

Monkey Fracas posted:

Ahhhh drat finally not having cable is biting me in the rear end. I really wanna watch this.

Might do that "ahhhh what the hell this is nothing like I imagined it would be based on my read of the book!!!! Bullshit!" thing... but I like the concepts from the book enough to give it a shot for sure.

I'm pretty sure it's on Amazon Prime Video so you really have no excuse now :v:

Also, I'm late to the chat but Heroes of the Storm related: Is it an actual good game or just not as bad as other MOBAs? The little details about it got me interested.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Opened my eyes.

That guy sounds like he'll fall asleep at any moment

...well, not anymore, I guess.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Opened my eyes.
I'm not sure it counts as a goongret because it was probably one or two people reccomending it but House of the Dying Sun blows. Every single mission is the same thing and you can beat the game in a couple of hours. There is an additional difficulty that strips you of the big ships and leaves you only with fighters but that's just plain annoying. Thank whoever read my refund request because I clocked around 4 hours in the game - trying to see if there was anything more in each difficulty - and they still accepted. Then I got Hollow Knight with that money and everything was right.

What's the opposite of a goongret btw? Because absolutely everyone reccomended me to not get Tales of Zestiria, I got it anyway and it sucked.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Opened my eyes.

Dr Cheeto posted:

2017 is the current year

It's May and I still write 2016 whenever I have to write the date :saddowns:

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Opened my eyes.
Dead Island 2 "Still Alive", absolutely no one cares

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Opened my eyes.
I'm gonna go on a wild guess here and say that "Why people stopped caring about Halo" was because they're on dead consoles and never got PC ports despite being owned by Microsoft. No, the Vista Only port of 2 doesn't count.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Opened my eyes.
The only Wild Arms I played was 5 and I remember hating every single bit of it even though I was big into anime and jrpgs at the time.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Opened my eyes.
Wait, rewind just a bit to the Hitman chat - If SE is officially killing it, is there a chance it could be rendered unplayable due to the Always Online? People say that it kicks you off stages sometimes if there's a connection failure or that even if there is a way to play it offline it doesn't keep track of stuff so I was wondering.

I don't actually have the game but I was hoping to buy it one day...

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Opened my eyes.
I can't remember if it was here or in the Steam thread but someone mentioned that The Surge has a time limit on recovering your tech scrap(The "souls" of the game); watching the GB Quick Play, you do indeed have a 2:30min limit to recover your stuff but that timer is also increased every time you kill a mook. So yes, it is an unnecessary mechanic that would be better removed but it's a bit more lenient than seems at first.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Opened my eyes.
That will probably burn on the series, just skip to Syndicate.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Opened my eyes.

Jay Rust posted:

So what's GotY 2017 so far

Gonna say Hollow Knight because it's the only one my PC can run :v:

(Also because it's great)

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Opened my eyes.
good mom

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Opened my eyes.

Harrow posted:

I'm really curious whether Ubisoft's going to make actual substantive changes to Assassin's Creed with the new one or just go "it's Assassin's Creed... but in Egypt" and copy/paste towers and open world objectives everywhere and have some sort of hilarious explanation for why you can have an automatic retracting grappling hook

It seems like a good opportunity to "go back to the series's routes" and put a lot of effort into the actual assassination missions but, well, this is Ubisoft we're talking about so I guarantee that's not their first instinct.

Do we really want Ubi to go back? I haven't played it yet but Syndicate went forward and was well reviewed for it so maybe that's the direction they should go? I certainly ain't keen on Asscreed 1 even if it was the only game that actually featured planned assassinations.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Opened my eyes.
My favorite was 3 but thats because i like getting new abilities as i play.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Opened my eyes.
So, Farcry 5 got it's first teasers, for everyone who's stoked for Ubisoft next open world game.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JauiKyWRziE

Doesn't show much, as teaser tend to, except that it's taking place in Hope County, Montana, some sort of inner city with a dark secret, full trailer to be released this friday(26).

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Opened my eyes.
I do a lot of sidequests when I begin a game but around halfway through I get bored and skip a lot of stuff just to get done with it. Ever since Kingdoms of Amalur I'm wary of games with too much side content.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Opened my eyes.
I was doing pretty well in scores until those loving claw enemies showed up ruining everything.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Opened my eyes.
You do.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Opened my eyes.

Wandle Cax posted:

Child of Light is nice too, more of an RPG of course but still lovely

Extremely boring gameplay though. Still, pretty to look at, I guess.

Samuringa fucked around with this message at 00:28 on May 24, 2017

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Opened my eyes.

Wandle Cax posted:

I at least thought it had a nice twist on normal turn based rpg battles.

I also bought their WW1 puzzle thing on sale done by the same studio but never played it yet, has anyone played that?

e: Valiant Hearts

If you enjoyed that you should try Grandia(for screwing up with your enemies attacks and turn order) or Mario RPGs and Stick of the Truth(for 'active' turn-based commands)

Grandia II and Stick of the Truth are available on Steam.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Opened my eyes.
Rumor: Disgae 5 Complete might be coming to PC

Not improbable, as NIS has been porting their catalogue on PC for some time but sad that they're skipping some titles - Soul Nomad was my favorite of theirs and I'd wish to replay it now that my PS2 is trashed.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Opened my eyes.

KingSlime posted:

100 episodes each seems fairly tolerable, I'll check em out! An old college roommate absolutely ruined anime for me (he would watch the cringiest poo poo at full blast even when we had company over, why is a college aged adult male obsessed with a cartoon about japanese high school boys who get into awkward, sexually-charged situations, wtfffff jerry you weirdo and I thought your MLP phase was bad) but I've always been a fan of older 80's and 90's style anime.

Hmm on that note I never did finish reading Berserk, kinda felt like the story was going nowhere on that one.

It's ok, Berserk will never be finished either

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Opened my eyes.

Ciaphas posted:

My big toe hurts when I walk, is this gout, am I getting old, am I gonna die soon

The good news is nobody really needs a big toe

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Opened my eyes.
In Square Enix news, Final Fantasy VII Remake, Kingdom Hearts 3 and the Marvel Game are schedule for "2018 or beyond" so don't expect anything anytime soon (Page 3)

Also, it might be the way they worded it, but it seems that they're selling the Hitman IP along IO Interactive (Page 10)

And a bunch of other business related stuff, someone might enjoy digging through those, who knows.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Opened my eyes.

StrixNebulosa posted:

Hell Girls has been removed from steam. Rip Huniepop 2.0

I think they just removed the pantyshot banner, it's still available for me

• Locked thread