Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Macarius Wrench
Mar 28, 2017

by Lowtax
Man I'm still sad starcraft ghost never came out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macarius Wrench
Mar 28, 2017

by Lowtax
I hated Heroes of the Storm. Hated, hated, hated, hate, hated, hated it. I like Mobas, i played both dota and LOL, I love Blizzard - played hours of Starcraft and Diablo and WoW and I love videogames but HotS is maybe one of the most garbage videogames I've ever seen from a big name studio.

Everything in that game just feels inconsequential. Every hero feels underpowered. Every action you take feels worthless.

I played Horizon and it didn't click for me but I still appreciate that's a gorgeous game. I played Nier and I really didnt enjoy it despite its unique approach to being a game. I played Last Guardian and appreciated what it was trying for even though it bored me silly.

HotS is garbage. I can maybe imagine a 3 year old toddler having fun mashing abilities and watching the colours which is funny because they'd be about as affective as a seasoned HotS pro veteran (lol).

loving garbage excuse for a videogame and it could have been so good *sigh*

Utterly garbage videogame.

Macarius Wrench
Mar 28, 2017

by Lowtax

Yeah kinda but less seething red eyed anger and more confused blurry "how did you gently caress this up so badly" confused anger.

Macarius Wrench
Mar 28, 2017

by Lowtax
I've never watched an anime that didn't make me want to go do something else with my life.

Macarius Wrench
Mar 28, 2017

by Lowtax

lets hang out posted:

Consider: watching better anime

Well, any suggestions?

Macarius Wrench
Mar 28, 2017

by Lowtax

precision posted:

I've never really had anyone coherently explain to me what it is about MOBAs that is enjoyable.

Its the power curve. When you have a great match of dota 2 you feel kind of god like yet when you have a poor one you feel so fragile. I'm terms of sheer dopamine activation no game comes close to going ham in dota 2 and feeling unstoppable.

Conversely most other games dont have that kind of buzz. Horizon is very pretty but there is no buzz. Diablo hits the dopamine with its loot being drip fed to you but its just not that big a hit.

I could totally get someone playing a game or 2 of dota and outright hating it, i felt that way after my first game 5 years ago and didn't pay again for a month but i came back and while the hits are extremely gratifying, the lows are the worst moments I've had playing videogames

Add to that that a couple of my real life friends play occasional matches with me and the captivating professional scene and joy of watching the game being played at a high level and that's why i like games like Dota 2.

Macarius Wrench
Mar 28, 2017

by Lowtax

In Training posted:

You get that exact same feeling from any competitive multiplayer game and you don't need to waste 1+ hour of your life every time

I don't. First person shooters just do not click with me on any even semi skilled kind of level. Even Starcraft bores me after half a dozen matches. Rocket League is fantastic but again after 20 minutes I'm done. Yeah the match length is maybe a negative for some but that's dota for you.

Also dont like the notion that its a waste. The opportunity cost is only things that I would otherwise do in my leisure time which is mostly videogames which are all a waste of time really.

Macarius Wrench
Mar 28, 2017

by Lowtax

Help Im Alive posted:

Fighting games are pretty intense

I used to love fighting games man but i kinda fell off with them around soul calibur 2s release because i don't have anyone irl to go all voldo 420 on.

Macarius Wrench
Mar 28, 2017

by Lowtax
I've played 5 a side football with people who make the game less enjoyable because of how serious they take it or how whiny they can be at people with less skilled than them. People are dickheads in all walks of life, it's not some exclusive negative point of online games in general or indeed MOBAS.

Macarius Wrench
Mar 28, 2017

by Lowtax

exquisite tea posted:

The difference is that if I want to play Mortal Kombat or For Honor or Starcraft right now, I can do a whole bunch of matches where the only thing people say is "GG" if they even say anything at all.

Oh boy, you can get some fine choice reactions from Starcraft players if you just worker rush them right at the start

Macarius Wrench
Mar 28, 2017

by Lowtax

PantsBandit posted:

This is from 7 pages ago but I wanted to quote it because lol

I'm not sure if you mean "lol haha this guys having a mental breakdown over a videogame" or "lol but Heroes of the Storm is such a deep and enjoyable strategy game" but either way theres a bit of delusion going on.

Macarius Wrench
Mar 28, 2017

by Lowtax
I'm glad that people managed to love Inside because it did absolutely nothing for me. That game has its own cool visual style, it doesn't overstay its welcome, it has a cool twist. It really does what its aiming for incredibly well but its completely unremarkable mechanically.

Macarius Wrench
Mar 28, 2017

by Lowtax
Took me 3 hours to get fed up and just YouTube the twist.

Macarius Wrench
Mar 28, 2017

by Lowtax

ZenVulgarity posted:

I'm okay with not completing games now

This is kinda it for me too. I might never finish Yakuza but Im having a great time with it. Its nothing new though, took me like 4 months start to finish to beat Uncharted.

These folks who are already on a second run of persona 5 scare the poo poo out of me.

Macarius Wrench
Mar 28, 2017

by Lowtax

Doctor Spaceman posted:

I'm really struggling to think of a game that was too short. Even when the ending is a bit abrupt it's more an issue with pacing than lack of time.

Titanfall 2 was the first game in YEARS that I finished and outright wanted another level or 2! That's not to say its too short but I certainly wanted more.

Macarius Wrench
Mar 28, 2017

by Lowtax

Help Im Alive posted:

Which game is your biggest goongret

Nier A

Macarius Wrench
Mar 28, 2017

by Lowtax

spudsbuckley posted:

Recently, Nier:Automata.

A good 4-5 hour game stretched over 10s of hours and multiple playthroughs in a deeply lovely open world.

Its not even that for me, the world's fine, I like the idea of multiple playthroughs, the overall artistic design is great, the genre mash up is amazing but to experience all that you need to slog through a combat system devoid of charm or finesse or even meaning. The game was more fun for me playing on easy and having the combat sections literally play themselves. There is barely an actual GAME in there.

Macarius Wrench
Mar 28, 2017

by Lowtax
Its me in the guy who loved Borderlands 2 enough to play it start to finish solo twice but can't stand Tales from the Borderlands.

Macarius Wrench
Mar 28, 2017

by Lowtax

GLAAD trash bags posted:

I also really enjoy borderlands an inordinate amount, but I just never feel interested just watching a story and clicking a few buttons, maybe that's not what tales is like, but I'd rather be the badass shooting the guns than just a regular guy in a crazy world with crazy people.

That is exactly what tales and indeed every telltale game is and its why they bore me silly.

Macarius Wrench
Mar 28, 2017

by Lowtax

In Training posted:

The combat is great if you played on Hard where a single mistake kills you. Makes traversal feel really dangerous and exciting

This sounds fine if you want to spend as much time with the game as possible but doing this would bore me away from playing Nier faster than playing it on easy did. Drop it on easy and get through with as little arsing as possible is what worked for me.

The difficulty in Nier really irritates me though, there isn't any point to it other than to take up more of your time. No achievements tied to it, no change in enemy variety, just the most basic less health less damage. Its lazy particularly from a company that handled difficulty level so well in games like bayonetta or god hand.

Macarius Wrench
Mar 28, 2017

by Lowtax
I played about 15 minutes of PoE and immediately reinstalled Diablo 3.

Macarius Wrench
Mar 28, 2017

by Lowtax
I've left my ps4 at a friends house and he can't drop it off till later today :(

Still finally got round to playing resi evil 4 for the 5th or so time so its not that much of a hindrance

Macarius Wrench
Mar 28, 2017

by Lowtax

GUI posted:

Not sure what to think of Nier Automata. I've played it for 4 hours and the story feels like it'd be more effective and shocking had I not played and gotten all trophies for the first game 6 years ago - I also don't have the same tolerance for Japanese melodrama as I did back then, and the character tropes of Shy Boy and Stoic Girl do nothing for me. The combat is also too simple to be fun as well and I can already guess all the gimmicks it's going to throw at me from playing the first.
I'll put a few more hours into it and if it doesn't get any better I'll just drop it??? Video games.

Don't feel bad about Nier A not clicking with you, its not a bad game but the fervour lashed on it on these forums would have you thinking its a life changing masterpiece up there with the Mona Lisa and putting men on the moon when its really only platinums 5th best videogame

Macarius Wrench
Mar 28, 2017

by Lowtax

ZenVulgarity posted:

Getting old sucks for video game playing

It does and it doesn't, yesterday i was quite keen to get Horizon finished but it was such a fantastically sunny day that I ended up going for a 14 mile hike. Videogames are cool but the older you get the more you realise there is a time and a place.

Macarius Wrench
Mar 28, 2017

by Lowtax

I'm from the UK man we only get sunshine like we had this weekend about 3 days a year!

Macarius Wrench
Mar 28, 2017

by Lowtax
I love charity shops because every single one you go into will have a random selection of FIFA, PES and Tiger Woods games from the past 20 years but every now and again you'll find a diamond in the rough like Mark Eckos Getting Up or Snake Eater Subsistence for the price of a bag o chips.

Macarius Wrench
Mar 28, 2017

by Lowtax

Jay Rust posted:

Over 5,300 hours of CS:GO :stare:

Not as shocking as people who have beat persona 5 already imho.

Macarius Wrench
Mar 28, 2017

by Lowtax

Sakurazuka posted:

It's been out for over a month

Witcher 3 has been out for 2 years and i only just started a quest called final preperations and apparently that's only 2 thirds of the way through :cry:

Macarius Wrench
Mar 28, 2017

by Lowtax

Closed-Down Pizza Parlor posted:

70 hours over the course of almost forty days is nothing lmao

Its quite a large portion of time to dedicate to one thing

Macarius Wrench
Mar 28, 2017

by Lowtax

Beelerzebub posted:

So, I want to get my girlfriend into video games since she's never played one before. I have a Wii, PS2, 3, and 4. Since she likes anime, I was thinking of Persona 4 or Xenoblade. I was also thinking maybe Super Mario Galaxy or OoT since they're super accessible. Any recommendations?

Also thinking of P5 or Tales of Berseria; however, I've yet to beat P5 and have never played a Tales game except for the very beginning of Xillia.

Rocket League

Macarius Wrench
Mar 28, 2017

by Lowtax
I remember playing the library in one sitting and while it wasnt great, if that's the low point of the Halo series its doing no bad.

Macarius Wrench
Mar 28, 2017

by Lowtax
Am i miss-remembering or did Halo 1 only have 4 enemy types.

Macarius Wrench
Mar 28, 2017

by Lowtax
Ah I forgot about Hunters, the big lumbering things with the orange neck.

Macarius Wrench
Mar 28, 2017

by Lowtax
Wow i dont think I've ever outright regretted playing a videogame other than dota.

Macarius Wrench
Mar 28, 2017

by Lowtax
Was the whole Call of Duty refund thing not because they made the braindead decision to split the player base between windows store customers and steam customers?

Macarius Wrench
Mar 28, 2017

by Lowtax

Lakbay posted:

Not counting the awful movie

Let's be thankful for an Assassins Creed experience that's over in 2 hours.

Macarius Wrench
Mar 28, 2017

by Lowtax
In 4th year we were allowed 10 minutes at the end of IT to play games so I installed Unreal Tournament 99 onto all the machines.

That entire year I came 1st in all but 2 of the unreal matches, then some older pupils put counterstrike on all the PCs and my esports careet was dead :(

Macarius Wrench
Mar 28, 2017

by Lowtax
I have really came around to Horizon, so much I think it might be one of my favourite games of recent years. I just had a great moment where I mounted a Strider (robotic antelope like creature) and sprinted to my destination to climb a Tallboy (a robot brachiosaurus) for the purpose of revealing more of the map. When I jumped off my Strider and set off I heard a noise and turned round to see a wild Sawtooth (a vicious robotic tiger) attack and kill my Strider friend :(

From what I've heard I'm pretty near the end and I only wish I'd paid more attention throughout, this is a fairly special game and an original IP as well, a rarity thesedays.

Macarius Wrench
Mar 28, 2017

by Lowtax
Overwatch was at its best for the first 3 days of the demo when no one knew how to do poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macarius Wrench
Mar 28, 2017

by Lowtax

Jay Rust posted:

Anyone play any good video games recently?

I'm coming to the end of both Horizon and Witcher 3 and once those are done Ill maybe give Nier another crack and finally buy Nioh.

• Locked thread