Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Let's all do a prank on the games industry and not play ANY games this month! LOL!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Oh, ok.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

The only solidly good thing to come from Simpsons lately have been the guest artist couch gags.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

It's MOBA lite, but the stuff they took out are things that make people angry in other MOBAs so it's a bit more chill. That's what my friends that play it say, anyway.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

MinibarMatchman posted:

I still have faith given that this is coming from id Software, which had virtually everything going against it from the word go last year and then turned out with one of the best games of the year.

Every multiplayer shooter not named Splatoon is bound to have loot boxes now, I've accepted that in my heart. I'd be more worried about it if this was coming from EA or Ubisoft. When is this coming out?

Quake Champions is not being made by id. I played in the beta too. Gameplay is largely exactly the same as Quake 3/Live but it has all of the bullshit F2P mechanics and monetization between you and the game. There's no real reason to play it over Quake Live, in my opinion. Like none whatsoever. It's kind of weird how it doesn't do ANYTHING better than its predecessors.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Mordja posted:

Graphics, freeness and the fact that it's new will mean it'll probably get a bigger population.

Oh, sure, but the above is my take on it. In my opinion, there is no reason to play it, really.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Video games are a scourge and must be stopped.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Wow, so that era of Valve is well and truly dead. It ended years ago, but this was the last confirmation that it's permanent that I needed.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Someone do the thing where you draw Kirby without shoes and he has human feet but with yoshi.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

I didn't mind Bioshock Infinite. All the criticism is valid, but all the same. The beginning was awesome, and a lot of the side world building stuff was cool, like the modern music covers and such. Combat was meh. The story needed more of those twins. I loved playing through with Elizabeth.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

chumbler posted:

Perhaps what you really miss is actual art direction, which prerendered backgrounds kind of go hand in hand with. Though they are of course not the only way to do it.

lol what does this even mean?

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

CJacobs posted:

Seems pretty obvious? Static camera angles (and thus pre-rendered backgrounds) mean hand-placed/hand-painted scenery which requires some thought to be put into the art direction. The goal becomes to frame and create the scene around the camera instead of just placing stuff wherever. See Abe's Oddysee for a pretty well-known example.

Yes but "art direction" is not exclusive to fixed cam, prerendered backgrounds which it would have to be in order for that to be the reason someone "misses" them.

In Training posted:

Quake Champions seems like a really bad replacement of Quake Live

Yeah, there seems to be no compelling reason to play Champions over Quake Live and lots of F2P-based reasons to play Quake Live instead. The only thing it really has on Quake Live will be player count, which is not nothing but there's just too much friction between me and getting in a game to have fun, so I'll not be playing it.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

In Training posted:

I just mean the process after a match finishes. You have to look at the results for a while, and then it kicks you out to matchmaking again, then find a match, then have everyone ready up, and then play the 60 second warm up thing, and then it starts. In the past a game ended, a new map loaded and boom you're back to fragging

Yeah, this is what I'm talking about. It's a slog to get through all of the stuff that ISN'T playing the game and when the game finally comes, it's literally just Quake 3 again but a little worse. It really adds or changes nothing to either the Quake formula or the freemium formula so personally, I'd rather just play Quake Live.

Who knows, though. Maybe there's a core group of players out there who want all that rank up, premium, 3-different-in-game-currencies faff added to their vanilla death match game. It's not for me though.

mutata fucked around with this message at 17:33 on May 5, 2017

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Speaking of, apparently DOTA 2 is getting a coop campaign mode?

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Don't forget killing the mutated cyborg version of your girlfriend.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Fanart is good.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

:yeah:

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

It's standard knowledge among digital artists these days that indulging in fan art at least occasionally is pretty much essential for building up an online following. The numbers boost and engagement rates for fan art versus original stuff for a no name or even somewhat known artist can be hilariously skewed.

Also it's just mostly artists havin' fun, yo!

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

I like when headcanon goes viral and becomes real canon. In my opinion, when you're working on an IP, the closer you can get to a kind of distant collaboration with fans the better.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Back then I used to play the Library while me and friends did multi-hour late night partyline phone conversations and it was a super great casual game to play while on the phone.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Overwatch is not a MOBA.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

There are more decent Hanzos than Genjis. I'll pick Genji occasionally to kill a turret or jump around because I don't give a poo poo, though.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

There's also a rollerblading DJ who heals people with magical music speakers, and a gorilla that was born on the moon.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Robots as lower class is a tried and true sci fi trope.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Looper posted:

Overwatch sounds stupid

It's very silly and very fun and optimistic in tone. It shoots for "comic book silly aspirational" and for the most part it lives in that space. It's also beautiful, bright, colorful, and happy visually and has a pretty great diversity of characters relatively and generally speaking.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Try crouching and spinning around next to them.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Overwatch is a billion dollar franchise already. It's doing OK. It's also pretty fun as long you aren't a snowflake who can't turn off or ignore the chat when you play with randos. Even then it's not even in the same arena as LoL or DOTA.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

I've had a pretty even experience, both solo and in groups of 4 or so. When I say "even" I mean I get games where I get rolled but I get games where I do well too. I'd say my experience has been something resembling 50% even matches, 25% getting rolled and 25% being the roller. It does suck just getting smashed, though. I've liked the PvE events they've done this past year, it's a nice change of pace.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Macarius Wrench posted:

Overwatch was at its best for the first 3 days of the demo when no one knew how to do poo poo.

Not gonna argue with this. Mei was most fun to play around then.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Horizon Zero Dawn is my goty so far, but I'm burning on portfolio work full time so I don't have a ton of time to play lots of games.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

He made a video on Bioshock 1 that was positive and I guess people were disappointed so he continued with the negging.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Lurdiak posted:

Horror games shouldn't be action-oriented.

Narrow definitions rarely do genres any favors.

Sakurazuka posted:

Tag urself im DESSERT EAGLE

Hi, it's me SENSOR BOMB, here.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

GOTY 2017 so far is Horizon Zero Dawn.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Every Pokémon mom.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Elizabet Sobek.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Jurassic Park.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Ugh.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Origin is pretty ok these days. I haven't had an issue with it in years and it even has responsive customer service.

Even uplay is pretty unobtrusive.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

MysticalMachineGun posted:

:lol:

It might not be a problem for other people but it annoys me greatly to a) scan my PC without permission and b) list one thing in two different places when at the time I greatly preferred Steam.

OK, so no good reason, then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Yo I'm launching a Kickstarter in honor of my and my wife's 11th anniversary plz pledge

• Locked thread