Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Battlenet just got rebranded to Blizzard Launcher, btw

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Lurdiak posted:

He'd work fine if they hadn't decided on the worst art direction possible.

I mean Mario Odyssey's HD and Mario doesn't have like a billion hairs in his mustache.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Lurdiak posted:

Ok well I still stand by my art direction statement because clearly this looks fine but Crash looks like a nightmare about puberty I had when I was 11.

I know and agree, it was just a funny choice of examples since that image already exists. :)

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Hey! So! A cool friend of mine made this streamlined version of chess on his own in his spare time, etc. It's called REX and it's on Gamejolt for $10.

http://gamejolt.com/games/rex/210076

He made the whole thing and programmed rudimentary AI and then had it up for free on there for testing and a NASA AI programmer/chess AI programmer (Marty Hirsch, https://www.wikiwand.com/en/MChess_Pro ) found it and got in touch with him and was like "Dude, let me help you with the AI" so he worked on it and retooled it basically for free because he wanted to. Anyway, if anyone's interested, it's a cool little indie-as-they-get game.

Here's a trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QJ5RGIh_9t4

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Destiny 2 is coming to PC on battle.net. Surely companies opting to sell their games direct rather than giving Valve a percentage cut of their sales means the end of games.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Bacon Terrorist posted:

I have seen ads for a Constructor reboot on console, should I get excited or is it looking like another Sim City 2016?

It should just be an HD remake of the original which is to say if you liked the original, this is that game made high res. In any case there's a demo on steam for it that I've been meaning to check out. I played a lot of the original as a young'un.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Also the new YouTube advertising policies.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Grapplejack posted:

This has kicked everyone's rear end.

Not YouTube or advertisers! :downs:

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Looper posted:

What is the new youtube ad policy?

Slowbeef's polygon article is pretty informative on it, generally.

https://www.polygon.com/2017/5/10/15609660/youtube-youtuber-ad-money-google

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Especially what looks like some form of modern day Montana as opposed to wild west like everyone thought.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

All the people writing stories now are the kids that grew up watching the morally black and white movies in the 80s like Goonies and Indiana Jones so they're all cynical and feel the need to act out on their disillusionment by pulling gotcha antiheroes and forgoing objectively good people in their media. The pendulum will swing as the gen z-ers get tired of all of the brooding and grow up to write stories about things that aren't abysmal and gen x and millennials will play them on their VR rigs as old people for nostalgia and to beat back the depression.

Phantasium posted:

As maybe not the biggest Far Cry fan (or at all, since the only one I earnestly tried was 3), to me it just seems like they keep making the environments for each game more pedestrian and less exotic.

But I also already live in a rural American hellhole so I don't exactly want to explore that in a videogame.

Uh, didn't the last game that was set in the fake-Nepalese mountains also have a parallel environment that was literally mythical Shangri-la populated by magical tigers and poo poo?

mutata fucked around with this message at 19:08 on May 22, 2017

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Lurdiak posted:

The tide's already turning. Millenials in general are hyper-sincere and produce works about sincere exploration of emotions and personal vulnerabilities through optimistic heroism and rejection of cynicism. Just give it 5 years for more of them to be in a position to make things with money behind 'em.

I'm legit looking forward to this, by the way. Television in particular has gotten in my opinion needlessly and overtly cynical and dark to the point of ridiculousness. Like, maybe society needs some of that and it's just me, so whatever, but there's a reason why I haven't gotten into a TV show in almost a decade and instead watch buddies hanging out joking and playing video games on YouTube instead. Except Stranger Things which I loved in part because it had a lot of good vs dark balance.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

If you thought it was coming out this year, then lol. If you think it's coming out spring 2018, then lol.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

I'm going full tilt on a pretty large portfolio project in between getting distracted by various life and game things. It's weird getting up everyday and not going to work but I have plenty to do so that I don't feel like I'm just sitting around. Half the day I'm taking care of a couple of kids who don't go to daycare anymore, too, though, so that helps with the whole keeping busy thing as well.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

I really want the protagonist player character to be a middle aged Latina woman now.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Palpek posted:

"Did I ever tell you the definition of insanity? Insanity is doing the exact… same thing… over and over again, expecting… a better result."

- Ubisoft reperesantative during the presentation of Far Cry FIVE

That's the whole point of franchising, though. To get the same result each time. The result in this case being large profits.

Edit: Oh god the salt about this Rabbids thing is hilarious.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

So far the only person being insufferable about the new Far Cry is you, ironically enough.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Mak0rz posted:

wait nintendo is participating in e3 again?

also:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z0kaYs8SbMs

Nintendo has always participated in E3, they just stopped having large blowout press conferences in lieu of prerecorded Nintendo Directs and live Treehouses where they just play whatever games they've got available in their booth. They actually have one of the more consistently quality and focused showings every year now.

mutata fucked around with this message at 19:01 on May 25, 2017

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

To quote the comedian "...but I think the gun helps."

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

FOLLOW ME,

SET ME FREE

TRUST ME AND WE WILL ESCAPE FROM THE CITAY!

*grinds a rail on his Soaps*

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

The creepy gloves were the worst part, did he change those too?

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

All computers are going to die it's nature's law.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

I care very little about Jim's thoughts on actual video games, but I do think his takedowns of developers/publishers/individuals that do genuinely lovely things are good, and I'm impressed with the independent position he's in where he makes all his money from Patreon and not advertising so he can gently caress with YouTube's ad system and such.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

I think it's mostly new tilesets and levels and even the remakes have huge brand new additions added to them. Green Hill Zone is like twice as long.

^^^Where'd you get that info? I'm just going off of people's hands ons and gameplay trailers they've put out.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Yes, that's why I asked where you got your info because I legitimately wanted to know but citb has to be a dick it's in his contract.

Edit: They've already shown more than 2 new tilesets, though, right?

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

corn in the bible posted:

didn't see you ask that. sorry!

anyway Iizuka said so when he was guesting on a sonic team twitch stream, and he'd know cause he's the director

Fair enough! I've seen a bunch of new art and they've added more than just new paths to the remake levels so I'm optimistic. Everything looks pretty dang great, imo.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

I haven't changed my avatar since I registered.. It even fits the size rules from back then. I wonder if I should find ally get a new one. Also the forums name character limit would support my actual nickname, I could change that too! Fascinating.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

poo poo, the late 90s was such a poo poo time for logo design. Abysmal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Clean and simple logos have been the trend lately because geometric, simple designs are popular and feel safer and more accessible and even more handcrafted. Compare to their 90s logo which screams corporate these days.

It's a bit of a resurgence of the 70s era Saul Bass style design, which isn't a bad thing, but it can easily switch over into too simple.

• Locked thread