Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

Sakurazuka posted:

Nintendo make cool games and didn't introduce the world to Early Access cancer though

There's more than enough anti-consumer/user behavior to go around. The lack of save back-ups because of piracy worry is one of the things that has annoyed me lately.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon

Andrast posted:

Lack of that and cloud saving on the switch is indeed really dumb.

Hopefully they add that when they roll out their (probably bad) online thing

That'd definitely be cool. Cloud saving was one of those things I totally didn't get the appeal of until I tried it out and found incredibly convenient.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon

an actual dog posted:

Unlike limbo the puzzles are actually good, and you don't have to solve every one of them. It's not super long if you just play it straight through but you can go back and solve the puzzles you miss.

Limbo puzzles were good and Swapper puzzles were good. I really like the small indie puzzle game renaissance.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon

Motto posted:

It's a bit odd to try to rebut an article that includes stuff like

with "but my switch saves".

Are you trying to say that my not addressing these old revelations that I'm essentially supporting them?

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon

Help Im Alive posted:

I'll sacrifice all the indie puzzle games in exchange for yearly picross and laytons

After paying through 6 Picross games, I very much disagree. They're fun but I've gotten to the point where they're time-fillers like doing the latest cross-word. Not bad at all but nothing like the "ah hah" moments I get from figuring out a puzzle in an indie puzzler.

In any case, these are two things that can very much co-exist as they don't step on each others' toes.

Edmond Dantes posted:

Eh, Limbo's puzzles relied too much on making you die first before you even noticed then. I thought Inside handled puzzles much better.

That's true but on the other hand dying wasn't a big deal at all. I haven't gotten to Inside yet so I can't comment on it.

bloodychill fucked around with this message at 19:13 on May 17, 2017

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon

haveblue posted:

I would love an infinite supply of picross or picross-related puzzles to play on subway commutes.

Do a search for "Picross" and "nonogram" on the App Store or Play Store on your phone, there are a couple dozen apps dedicated to it.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon

Ometeotl posted:

You're supporting them if you try to shift criticism away from the company committing them with lame whataboutism.

I was addressing the anti-consumer aspect of the article, which seemed to be its main point, and pointing out they are far from the only company around that engages in those kinds of activities. Using Nintendo is a good route because they are viewed as sacred cow despite the fact that they engage in anti-consumer activity as a matter of course. As Lurdiak brought up, they killed the rental industry in Japan. This is not a whataboutism.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon

Ometeotl posted:

That is literally the definition of whataboutism. The article is about Valve specifically, pretending that the writer or people reading and agreeing with it are only looking to yell at Valve and thinks others are guilt free is ludicrous. "What about Nintendo or Sony or whatever" is whataboutism because the article is not a look at bad consumer issues in game companies, it's about Valve.

Valve doesn't exist in a vacuum so it must be placed in context to its competition. The article also rehashes years old problems that have at least officially been addressed or are in the process of being addressed, which makes it come off as a hatchet job. If this wasn't any more obvious, it paints the anti-cheating software that Steam runs for online games as violating user privacy.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon

Dr. Fetus posted:

And from what I heard about workshop contributors a few years ago, it wasn't all that great back then. I'm surprised to hear that it got even worse for them considering that their royalties just got a big slash before a major DOTA 2 tournament, which is normally a huge time for them.

This is more to come up with ways to protect their customers from predatory developers and workshop contributors. However, they're in this position because of decisions they themselves made to make money with their shop.

Ometeotl posted:

not "on their way to fixing things"

My comment was in response to the employee harassment issues they have had. They're still engaged in anti-consumer activity.

Red Bones posted:

I don't know jack about computers, but is there a reason why Valve even needs to operate Steam as a client vs as an online store, when GOG doesn't require a client at all? Is it the download management and autoupdating stuff?

Download management, updates, anti-piracy software, ads, ecosystem, DRM, etc. Same reason Blizzard does it. It's a way to engage with their customers in the way Sony does with PSN, MS does with the Win10 store/xbox marketplace, and Nintendo with the e-store. Since they don't make games anymore, they're basically a storefront.

bloodychill fucked around with this message at 20:26 on May 17, 2017

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon

Dr. Fetus posted:

:psyduck: I never mentioned anything about developers and what the hell do you mean by predatory workshop contributors!? What I was referring to was for creating in-game cosmetics and merchandise for DOTA 2.

Workshop contributors are developers, however minor. In any case, I'm talking about their completely laissez-faire attitude towards ensuring product quality for customers. Because Valve does not curate or audit contributions to the workshop, not everything in there is has historically been on the up-and-up. Think like app/play store conjobs and price-gouging. From what I've read, luckily it is extremely difficult to run malicious code via workshop contributions though so this just comes down to users not buying stupid poo poo.

But yeah, the 75/25 cut is bullshit.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon
Yeah, the channel is nice background when I don't have something specific to listen to. It's crazy how popular it's gotten though.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon

corn in the bible posted:

hes just SO ANGRY about EA and their storefront that has good customer support where actual people talk to you immediately instead of never

I once bought DLC for Mass Effect 3. I got double charged for it which I didn't notice until a week later. I called EA's customer service to make a complaint. They banned my account claiming I was trying to commit fraud and hung up on me. I called back and had to talk for about two hours going through several supervisors until they sorted it all out.

It did not leave a good taste in my mouth. Also I don't like Origin's UI. Steam UI sucks too, to be fair.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon
Yeh soundtrack to fondly reminiscing about our favorite digital distribution services.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon
I played Destiny and I also play PC games cuz I play lots of different games on different platforms. Destiny is basically Diablo 3 in overall structure with Halo shooting and a fun pvp mode. It wore really thin for me after a couple months just like Diablo 3.

If the pvp mode had more vehicles like Halo, I would have stuck around longer.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon
That is supercool.

Lurdiak posted:

Nah Nintendo still makes good games.

Doesn't Sega make the Yakuza games that everyone loves? They also published Total Warhammer which was really good.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon
Batman TAS on Fox and JL/JLU on Cartoon Network are all you really need to watch as a layman to get and enjoy DC. They ranged from solid to great. I don't think they ever had cat sidekicks show up back then though which is a shame.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon

FirstAidKite posted:

Hello Games Chat Thread, how is everyone doing today?

Pretty good. I saw the new Alien movie last night, and it was thoroughly "ok." Played a bunch of Titanfall 2 and now anticipating a big multiplayer game of Stellaris that a goon friend is planning for Memorial Day weekend.

How are you?

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon

Lurdiak posted:

I hope we get another shadowrun.

Same. All three new ones were good and kept getting better, with Dragonfall as my personal favorite. They also sold well for their budgets so :shrug:

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon
Good news, they are and it's a Mech Warrior tactical RPG thing with multiplayer.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I used to be really into buying board games but then realized the expense was not worth how often I got to play them. The best value I got was out of the Battlestar Galactica board game, which I probably played a dozen times in person. And even then it only felt like good value because I set up a play by post version on these forums for it

The key is to have a friend who likes buying them. I only have my two favorites - Ticket to Ride and Agricola. But weekly board game night is hosted by a friend who owns as many board games as the average wii u thread poster had amiibos. He even has his "for show" boardgame shelf and his "private good" boardgame shelf in his bedroom. And his girlfriend doesn't even like boardgames so I don't know how that works.

But we play in a group once a week so his zealous obsession is my joy. The group I play with are all pretty normal geeks. I've met my share of stereotypical literal-basement-dwelling, feminist-hating, 4chan-posting tabletop gamers over the years though.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon
Are you one of the lucky few not have experienced virtualboycolor posts?

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon

I thought that classrooms banning fidget spinners as a distraction was an overreaction until I went to board game night on Friday and my friend kept using his to shoot dice and game pieces and I immediately understood.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon

precision posted:

Watching the new twin peaks, David Lynch should really do a silent Hill game

Or maybe a sequel to a popular NES game?
https://twitter.com/pixelatedboat/status/866474710304833536

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon
Finally started playing Stellaris over the weekend. It's really fun. The research events are great, loving the stupid ceramic vessel.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon
There are bears in Montana. One can hope.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon
I can't get past the Michael Jackson-meets-Pinocchio vibe the characters have going.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon

Olive Garden tonight! posted:

Unedited image from Alundra:

He's not wrong.

• Locked thread