Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Powerpuff Girls was a good show way back when. I remember two episodes about alien vegetable invaders and a straight up pimp daddy boogeyman. Dexter's Lab was amazing too. The PPG movie was great, I really liked the montage of different Mojos.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SHRAeguxbNo&hd=1

It was definitely an era of resurrection of good writing in kid's cartoons that was rarely seen otherwise outside of Disney cartoons, with the only other exceptions I can think of being the Bruce Timm DC universe, Animaniacs, Beast Wars, Shadow Raiders, and Exo-Squad. Genndy Tartakovsky I'd say was the single driving force in making Cartoon Network the juggernaut it is today.

I love the Hacha-Chacha bit.

Lurdiak posted:

I was just making a joke. :(
You idiot, you think you're allowed to JOKE in This Year Of Our Trump 2017? Haven't you heard, satire is dead?

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 02:24 on May 29, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Motto posted:

It's better to trick parents into bringing kids to incredibly violent films like in the 80s
I went to see Deadpool and Logan in theaters. The Marvel tag on them meant really stupid parents brought their kids to see them regardless of the R rating.

I really like how both movies have HILARIOUSLY VIOLENT opening scenes, Deadpool with a dude loving splattered against a road sign as well as multiple gunned-down and eviscerated grunts, and Logan with a group of carjackers getting limbs graphically chopped off or get disemboweled.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

precision posted:

i bet this has actually happened a few times though

it happens with Japanese film students who get all snobby and hate on Japanese movies
Yoh Yoshinori, one of the greatest animators in Japan, is a MASSIVE westaboo. If you've seen any Gainax anime like Gunbuster, Evangelion, Gurren Lagann, or FLCL, you've probably seen his stuff. The whole Asuka fight from End of Evangelion was mostly animated by him, for example, as well as most action scenes from Gurren Lagann and FLCL, and a lot of stuff from Panty And Stocking With Garterbelt. He's a king of fights, kineticism, and explosions; he's a master of giving physical feeling and weight to animation which is particularly hard to do.

He's the guy basically any animation studio calls on when they need a climactic moment animated in an incredible, movie-quality way in a relatively short period of time. This is a video of parts he has animated all on his own for all sorts of things, from Gainax shows to Toy Story bonus videos to Mass Effect animes(?!?), he's been at it for at least 30 years and he's a really cool dude. He just loves the craft, and hand-animates everything.

If you are at all a fan of animation as an art form, it's worth looking at his stuff and noticing what he does that very few others do.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DFRDSbjnasY&hd=1

A majority of the best animation in Gurren Lagann was done by him, as well, 16 of the most iconic scenes in this video(huge spoilers obviously) were his:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2s-ay0WZsVI&hd=1

He also draws Spongebob Squarepants and Powerpuff Girls fanart on his Pixiv, which I've forgotten the link to.

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 04:22 on May 29, 2017

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

DOUBLE CLICK HERE posted:

So next OP ya'll are never mentioning anime again, right?

HAHAHAHAHAHA! :unsmigghh:

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
scrounge up a bit more than that and get this instead, there's one available for about 39 shipped new

https://www.amazon.com/Nausica%C3%A4-Valley-Wind-Box-Set/dp/1421550644

if you want good manga, it's kinda hard to beat one of the most iconic ones written and drawn by hayao miyazaki himself, with one of the best female protagonists in fiction

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

precision posted:

oh wow holy poo poo yeah i recognized his style immediately but i had no idea ONE GUY did all that :stare:
He had a deviantart account where he posted the keyframe animations for a bunch of them, mostly eva, flcl, and gunbuster iirc. I think he might have closed it though. That was the point when I really understood the amount of work that went into every single frame of animation, it was insane.

He rules.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
My instinctive reaction was "HAHAHA!" but then I remembered some of the super hosed up schedules some competitive gamers have(especially MOBA or RTS ones) and rethought it, that's not a bad idea. Being beholden to a bunch of tournaments that can pop up anywhere and maybe with little notice would really, really suck. Sponsors can exploit their charges very unreasonably, and some comp gamers get put through the wringer for their craft. Again, especially MOBA/RTS players, but fighting game players too.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

tap my mountain posted:

Can't they just not go to some of the tournaments?
Sponsors want as much coverage as they can get. I imagine signing a sponsor contract comes with caveats like having to go to events your sponsor tells you to, and with more events popping up every year, it's probably getting to be a bit much.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
if you want a REAL zelda game, let me introduce you to this lil' ol' thing called ALUNDRA :smug:

intro was fuckin rad too

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FTyDw2OthMo&hd=1

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Alundra is Bad End: The Game

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
If you liked that, you should watch the original Lego movie, because it's even better!

Lego Batman was outstanding but I feel it lost a bit of the magic the original had, especially the twist. I'm excited for Ninjago, too. That one looks great, I'll keep seeing Lego movies unconditionally until they make a genuinely bad one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FJ6cnXBoz4U&hd=1

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
the wall street journal called legos a safer investment than the stock market. :v:

I tried my best to find an image that had every lego Collectible Minifigure Series in it but could only find one that went from series 1 through 15, it doesn't have all of them

there's a shitload of them though

probably my favorite is Banana Guy

I really love how they've incorporated the ridiculous amount of Collectible Minifigures into the various movies. Including the Left Shark minifigs as apparent disposable grunts in Ninjago.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Wamdoodle posted:

Oh man, Banana Guy owns
I have 19 banana guys

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Macarius Wrench posted:

The Lego Movie felt like a film made for children with ADHD.
so hot a take that 99% of humanity died in the ensuing firestorm

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
All is death

Give in to entropy

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I'm always headbobbin online or offline

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Lurdiak posted:

Being mean is never funny.
hmmm, interesting hypothesis

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

FirstAidKite posted:

Can't get back to sleep, I slept too much already
I'm on vacation and this is me

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Quest For Glory II posted:

my avatar is me. i'm suwako irl
my condolences on your series turning into the absolute worst poo poo garbage

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
oh lol I meant the manga

whatever you might've thought was bad in the anime, well, it gets a whole lot worse in the manga

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
loogiddis fuggin lego set

made by a normal dude, submitted to Lego Ideas, and turned into an official set. $150 for 2,049 pieces. Totally buying this poo poo.

https://ideas.lego.com/blogs/a4ae09b6-0d4c-4307-9da8-3ee9f3d368d6/post/f0c33605-faf8-4628-9d1a-643b90064bfc

ImpAtom posted:

Catwoman?

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Nope! It's a real, honest to god actual product. Surprising, I know!

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
fuuuuuuuuck yesssssssss Gametal remade a cover of Big Baby Bowser, the incredible final boss theme from Yoshi's Island. One of the best final boss themes ever.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-hbTAr8FB0E&hd=1

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

glam rock hamhock posted:

I mean...same.

...are you just keeping your thread open in hopes it gets stickied over mine or what?

Ogre_battle_FIGHT_IT_OUT.wav

• Locked thread