Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

hello, games chat. it's been awhile.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

I've been letting some of my RL friends that I will be streaming soon, and one guy, with a really uncommon name, just has his name backwards as his Twitch name, but there's some other guy with the same name minus one letter, who I have to assume is his Unsealie nemesis.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

my first souls game being bloodborne, all i can picture when someone mentions a souls game is being murdered repeatedly and losing all of your points, but with older graphics.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

i get why everyone loves them, though, the combat feels soooooo sweet once you start to get it. like i had to take like a two month break from bloodborne and when i picked it up to test the camera, rolling into the enemy attacks and biting at their ankles was like riding a bicycle, except that a peddle down the street feels like doing a 5k on one wheel while juggling.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

He stole Mega Man's buster because Mega Man was no good in Smash Bros

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Grapplejack posted:

We decided to make all the toads the same, because it's important to protect our brand and the strength of the characters.

Wiat, there's no more sleepy toad, and Toad with glasses, and Toad who says "OH NO!" what happened, who took my toads.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

I have totally missed the Minion saturation somehow, I just know they were in Despicable Me and then a few movies after it. I've never seen anybody post one on Facebook or encountered any of the merchandise that I can think of.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

I splurged and ordered a ton from an oyster raw bar on Thursday and hell, same.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

I don't know who Aunt Dotty is, but her oysters are good enough that I would eat them every day, and I don't even care if that sounds weirdly sexual.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Here's an overdisclosure post: my wife is extremely sick, like she has a chronic illness, but it's gotten really bad in the past two months, bad enough that if the latest treatment doesn't work, it might mean life-altering surgery or worse. She has to sleep a lot lately, and I've been reading and watching TV, but now that I have the stupid Playstation camera, it feels a little like I can play video games games and also be a little social, while still staying in our place if she needs me for anything. Once I have some time to sit, I am looking forward to playing some video games and having a handful of my Facebook friend who I don't have time to see watching it with me. Anyway, Iwata bless video games. Thanks for listening.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

the continuous nintendo problem is that they make like 5-10 good games over the life of a console and lack some of the good PC games that port to console, but usually those games they actually make are Breath of the Wild level, so.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Lurdiak posted:

:( I hope your wife's health improves Bicyclops. I know what it's like to watch a loved one slowly fade away and I don't wish it on anyone. I'm glad you can find some solace thanks to video games and modern technology.

Thanks, this is sort of the first time I've talked about it on the internet, and even seeing friends in person, I feel too weird talking about it, like I'm going to be the weird downer. It's kind of scary, but even just talking about the Witcher 3, that I haven't even played in months, with a bunch of new people playing it, has sort of helped. Sometimes the anonymity of the internet is hosed up and sometimes it's helpful.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Thanks, everyone. For all I know, these latest infusions are going to work really well and I'll feel like a huge whiny idiot, and I have a good job with health insurance and everything, so I'm luckier than a lot of people would be. Anyway, video games are great, and I have enjoyed making Super Mario and Witcher jokes.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

I think I read a really similar article awhile back, and it's interesting to me that the "empty time sink" games are so easy to disagree on. Like, I definitely get what they mean, where there are games where you feel like you wake up bleary-eyed days later and say "What did I do for days? Did I let the plants die?" but whether that applies to games like Civ 6 and Stardew Valley, or Bethesda games, or meaningless puzzle games on cell phones is going to vary a lot from person to person. What things give you meaningful catharsis or are helpful escapist fantasy vs. "addictive emptiness" is kind of hard to define.

Thanks for the kind words, everyone. I do have a supportive family, and a pet bird, and understanding co-workers, and some friends I see once a week, and all that stuff, so nobody needs to worry about me. I just think it's cool that video games can potentially be a way for me to actually talk, with my voice, about a hobby to other people, but still be present for someone who needs me.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

somewhere on this planet, there's a dude trying to speedrun Virtual Bart, and also make it a game that people care enough about to watch speed runs of it.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

PantsBandit posted:

Gwent is great but playing it against real try-hard people instead of brain-dead AI will probably suck all the fun out of it for me.

PantsBandit posted:

Any major media organization should have someone on staff to hit designers with a rolled up newspaper when they try to make promotional material riffing on the Last Supper.

I agree with both of these statements

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

DLC Inc posted:

this "finally I can just kill all the white people" take is beyond embarrassing

it's pretty funny, actually, join in and laugh!

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Another day putting out the introductory Far Cry 5 art and people keep asking me if they can gently caress the flag.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Well this is 10000 times worse than the Mario Rabbids promo leak thing.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

You might say that all this protest stuff is...... for the birds!! Haha, at last a game everyone can agree on. "Make Piglandia Great Again" hats purchasable in the microtransaction store.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

the only video game thing i can think of with toes is whichever Ninja Turtles game you step on something that hurts you and they say "My toe! My toe!"

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

that probably won't help you assess your health, though. to do that, you have to beat level 20 of dr. mario on hard, and then he solemnly tells you the date and time of your death.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

lol i played this... last year? maybe two years ago? It's better with save states so that you can cheat the 200th time you have to play "chase the beavers into the hole" (phrasing!) I miss collectathon games.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

I remember dreams literally every time that I sleep, but I get like 4-5 hours of sleep at best because I wake up every 20-40 minutes (it's not sleep apnea, I got tested at a sleep lab and everything, they wanted to keep me for study, it was hilarious). Dreams are fun and cool.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Carcassonne looks extremely win, but also in the Wikipedia photo of the gameplay, someone has weirdly photoshopped out the top of the table and a glass, so it looks like they're getting sucked into some kind of grey vortex.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

It's going to be over the top and without subtlety because it's Ubisoft, but there is nothing wrong with setting a game within a current political climate. Like, believing that people who have opinions about the current political climate are "insufferable," is, in fact, a political position in and of itself.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

mutata posted:

Nintendo has always participated in E3, they just stopped having large blowout press conferences in lieu of prerecorded Nintendo Directs and Treehouses where they just play whatever games they've got available in their booth. They actually have one of the more consistently quality and focused showings every year now.

watching the Mario Maker level where that guy jumped into a lakitu cloud in a kuribo shoe or whatever was definitely the best part of E3

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Hi folks,

I wanted to do some streaming tonight, but I cannot, for a few reasons, so instead, I am watching the Aziz Ansari show, which I think is pretty good, and sipping some gin I've been keeping in the freezer for summer drinks.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Also, I'm enjoying some lemon, goat cheese asparagus pasta and reading about video games. Life is okay.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

codenameFANGIO posted:

Aziz Ansari show is pretty good, substance abuse is good, enjoy

Portions of it feel a little rough around the edges, but he's basically trying his best to be a non-disgusting Woody Allen, and I appreciate how hard is trying.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Help Im Alive posted:

He's funny but...how fast can he beat skyrim

Aziz Ansari: Nooooo! The dragon broke right through my defensive shieeld! He ate my fingy-foos!
Me: Sorry, I couldn't hear you while I invisibly did 15x sneak attacks that OHKO's everything in the game.
Axiz: He's cheaaaaatinnnnng!!

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Leslie: I'm just disgusted by these Imperials, Ron! They've never been to Honningbrew Meadery! They stomped on my photo of Ulfric Stormcloak!
Ron: *in Wolf Armor, raising Cyrodiliic Brandy, chomping into a honey nut treat* Lesie, why would anyone go to the meadery when they could purchase alcohol for Tiberius-honest Septims at The Bannered Mare? Let the Ulfric government fall. *looking at camera* The only thing worse is those Elves. *camera zooms in* I hate the Dunmer.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Anne: :sigh: Okay. Okay... What we'll do it just... we'll gather up all the waffles. We kinda just can't, y'know, blast em with AEO . I'm gonna need to Crhist to run interference, and Ben to do a second-rate Jim-looking-int the Camera. Uh…we’re gonna need Divine Intervention from Rob Lowe, uh so he can bring up ratings Jerry, can you give me a number crunch quick?
Jerry: Oh, sure, absolutely, gimme a sec… I’m coming up with thirty-two point three three , heh, repeating of course...
April: :rolleyes: Well that's better than-
Andy: Alright, let's go!! BUUUUUUUUUUUUUURT MACKLIIIIIIIIIIIIN!

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

oddium posted:

tom, cut away: i call the werewolves guild, shaggy boys. dwarves are golden oldies, and whiterun is tommy's closet

tom, in scene: i missed a call from akatosh !!

tom, cut away: also known as the old smaug himself :)

Ron, fake smiling: I don't abide the Radiant Raiment, but you look like you might. *in pain* I hear the Radiant Raiments has a huge selection.

*aziz ansari does that wide smiling face*

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

I think it's okay if trash creative games are popular with children, honestly, like I loved Mario Paint back in the day.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Licensing stuff is pretty profitable if you don't care about anything but like, Pachinko machine profits.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Looper posted:

the fly swatter game and music composition mode were loving rad

Music composition was my favorite, and it was fun to pair it with the pixel drawing "stamp" program and make little comic stories, with music.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ic01Vhiyrb4

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

I can't stop listening to Mario Paint compositions now. I've made a huge mistake.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dxa8WYydlEM

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

I just had record a bunch of out of office messages for the holiday on Monday and no matter how much you try, it's impossible not to sound like a horrible nag when you say things like "If this is an international emergency, please hang up and dial..."

• Locked thread