Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

FirstAidKite posted:

Hello may chat thread. Anybody have anything exciting planned for the month?

We're trying to figure out plans on whether we're going to go to a friend's miniature anime convention that he runs or if we're going to another friend's wedding. It wouldn't normally be a tough decision, but it is made slightly tougher since they're both friends, we help out at the con, the wedding invites haven't arrived yet so we don't know for certain outside of what the groom said that we're invited, and even if we are invited, I don't have proper clothing for attending a wedding nor the money to afford proper clothing for it so who knows what's gonna happen.

It's also gonna be my birthday on the 27th. ~yay~ I'll be 26 years-old ugh. I hope it is a quiet birthday this year because I don't like when people fuss over me or burden themselves with bday stuff. I'll be happy if it's a nice and stress-free day. Hopefully by then we'll have this car stuff sorted out because our neighbor is selling us their car for cheap so things will almost be going back to normal.

Clearly the solution is to convince your friends to get married at the con.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

The Colonel posted:

what the gently caress is that simpsons clip

also there's a lot of genuinely really good stuff in the earlier seasons imo, even when they're not strictly funny they're pretty entertaining to watch and the rougher animation in the really early seasons has a lot of personality

Yeah, the golden age of the Simpsons is not a myth. I have my own personal moment where it went downhill, just like everyone else, but there are so many Simpsons memes and references floating around for a reason and it deserved to be the enormous cultural force it was in the late 90s and early 00s.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Dapper_Swindler posted:

they have that too. their is this special type that controls living people and you can decide how to handle it.

If that takes the form of a pair of murder/rescue buttons, then "bioshock in space" really is the most accurate way to describe it

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

wizard on a water slide posted:

The parry accessory is also kind of a weird thing in that it costs twice as much as the others and IIRC is the only one with no effective downsides (not counting the deliberately overpowered ones you unlock from beating the game or doing weird poo poo).

It results in a weird situation where pretty much everybody ends up buying it, but only several levels into the game, so it just seems like a roundabout way of introducing a parry mechanic in the middle of the plot.

The downside is that it's a high-risk skill move, most of the other accessories are passive or easy triggers.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Help Im Alive posted:

Are the Quake heroes shippable at least

sexy doom marine/screaming eyeball 4 ever

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
So why did "birdetta" never take off

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Sakurazuka posted:

lol That Bioshock Infinite ending, what if you went back in time to kill Hitler but then it turned out you were Hitler?????

There's always a killer. And there's always a hitler. Let the circle be unbroken.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Sakurazuka posted:

I actually kind of liked the bit where you ended up in Rapture and the meta commentary on sequels but then it took a swerve into idiotville

As far as I can tell the message of the game is that ripping random bits and pieces out of what came before with no understanding of context is bad, and it communicates this message by embodying it in the form of a bad game. Which I guess makes it a trenchant commentary on the nature of iterative art but you're still playing a bad game.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

oddium posted:

isn't that the villain's story in infamous

Infamous's story is that in the future the world will be destroyed, so you go back in time to destroy only a little piece of the world in hopes of inspiring your past self to become enough of a badass to save the rest of the world later, which is purest comic book bullshit but that was the game's entire value proposition to begin with so it all works out in the end.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
The baseball thing comes up again in the form of minor changes to a trivial npc interaction later. If you didn't throw the ball at them, they thank you. If you did throw the ball at them, a racist thanks you.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Cowcaster posted:

also sometimes she chucks coins at your head

but they really should've been playing cards, and they should've always been aces, and also bioshock infinite is zybourne clock and you are johnny fiveaces

Imagine four lighthouses

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
From YCS, a very long time ago:

quote:

they should call it bayoushock because it's about underwater cities

quote:

no they should call it dioshock because it's about holy divers

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Just tell me his name is still Mario Mario.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Palpek posted:

Is there any game that comes close to featuring the studio's boss as an in-game character 3D modelled in detail complete with his glasses, having super stats and being at one point refered to as "God"?

Does Lord British count?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Starbound (although it was more irl friends than goons).

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Nate RFB posted:

I feel like the punishment for dying in Nier:A is too great for me to want to play on Hard.

Hard is way too hard, every enemy hit takes more than half your health. I can't imagine putting up with it for long enough to find upgrades to alleviate that.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Help Im Alive posted:

I'm sorry I couldn't come up with a better word than goongret everyone

Regroont

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Jay Rust posted:

What games do amnesia well?

Planescape Torment and...?

Silent Hill 2

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Rapture does have a sprint button but for whatever reason it takes a very long time to accelerate to top speed and it still isn't very fast. It also takes place over a rather enormous area so it takes much longer to play than comparable games.

I thought Edith Finch was quite creative with the different scenarios it puts you in.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I'm reflexively hesitant to buy a game with "sexy" in its title but the GB quicklook was intriguing. It made it look like the entire game is Clock Town from Majora's Mask.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Fixed cameras are an artifact of the days when prerendered images could have significantly greater quality than real-time graphics, now they're needlessly limiting.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

chumbler posted:

It's also pre alpha and looks pretty much like it was hastily put together due to the leak. I think it was a bad idea to put it out, but I'm not going to be terribly fussed about it.

Yeah, this is most likely a vertical slice. Look at that HUD.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Also don't forget the monsters that are literally born out of wall vaginas.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

You should buy this video game fan art.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

exquisite tea posted:

James Joyce's Ulysses is the best Odyssey fanfic.

No, it's O Brother Where Art Thou

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Might be running out of people willing to devote an expensive PC and a room of their house to gaming.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
These days I use my PSVR every couple of weeks for ~3 hours at a time, to play through the latest "experience" release. Some of them are good but nothing since RE7 has had more than one session of meat to it. I will get Elite and play it regularly (probably) if it has PSVR support, but it's getting awfully close to release for them to keep saying "no comment" so they might not have been able to get it working acceptably.

haveblue fucked around with this message at 01:52 on May 8, 2017

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
The Library is 4 repetitions of the same vast, shadowy space where the same enemy groups rush at you over and over again without using any of the interesting AI the game is capable of. It's not good.

They did get a nice troll out of it in Halo 2, though. You are instructed to seek out and visit a new Library, so you know what's going to happen. You can see the Library from the outside this time, drawing closer in the distance as you proceed across the land. After an hour or more of driving and fighting, you finally arrive there, and survive the huge firefight on the platform that transports you to the entrance. You walk through the door and find yourself in the same old environment, same old grey walls and blocky scenery, mentally preparing to spend another god knows how long going through it, as the game announces the title of this new level as "That Old Familiar Feeling".

Then you walk another 20 yards and a cutscene takes over

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
They always contradict anyone who says it's not, but that's it. Coming up on 9 years since the initial teaser which was itself 5 years after the first game.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I want to know more about the space game you stole the teaser for in Watchdogs 2. That video had way too high production values to have been made specifically for a sidequest in a minor franchise.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
My choice of college was informed more than I should probably admit by an afternoon spent playing network games with the ACM chapter at one of them.

Now in grade school, we put Bolo on all the Centrises in the computer lab :corsair:

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Aren't they all multiplayer online battle arenas? *thinking emoji*

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Finally started playing Breath of the Wild.

Good: I didn't understand just how loving massive this game is. I feel like I've traveled miles from the start point but I've only covered a small area of the map and only just begun unlocking powers and stuff.

Bad: There are dogs but there is no pet button.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Watchdogs lets you pause if there isn't another player live in your game at the moment you press it. It's a tell for when you're about to get invaded, but a win for practicality.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

mutata posted:

He made a video on Bioshock 1 that was positive and I guess people were disappointed so he continued with the negging.

Yeah, I was always under the impression that it was a gimmick and didn't reflect his real views or the review he'd make if he wanted to be serious.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Macarius Wrench posted:

drat man, have you just constantly got a game on or something, I wish I'd the fortitude to complete as many games as you get through, 2 years on and I'm just on the cusp of wrapping up Witcher 3 :toot:

It's a lot easier to play through multiple 10 hour action games than one 200 hour RPG

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I haven't gotten very far into Zelda yet but it's clearly going to take months to finish and now I'm sad I won't get Prey until then.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Exit a world of assassination

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

a kitten posted:

What the heck even is Prey? I've never played System Shock...or Bioshock for that matter.

Is there character customization?

It's a game where you're given a great deal of freedom to explore an environment and use its contents to gain access to places and neutralize enemies in many different ways. You have a lot of weapons, items, environmental devices, routes, hiding places, etc and the challenge is to find combinations of them that work well together to exploit enemy weaknesses or to tilt the situation in your favor beforehand.

Yes, there is character customization.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Hope you like stumbling around in spoopy woods

(Seriously, it's a decent game)

• Locked thread