Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Lurdiak posted:

Excuse me it's "Loyalty day".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
The parry accessory is also kind of a weird thing in that it costs twice as much as the others and IIRC is the only one with no effective downsides (not counting the deliberately overpowered ones you unlock from beating the game or doing weird poo poo).

It results in a weird situation where pretty much everybody ends up buying it, but only several levels into the game, so it just seems like a roundabout way of introducing a parry mechanic in the middle of the plot.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Jay Rust posted:

I love video games

Fly away, troll

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
the curse of the caverns strikes again....

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
after getting persona 5 to the point where basically all I have left is deciding to do ng+ to finish a plat, I decided to hop back over to FF15 for a bit and mess around with all the stuff they've added

all it's doing is making me wish I could play botw instead

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Like I liked this enough to beat it but drat it's weird and has issues

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
it's also cool they added nier music to ff15, but in a way it's bad, because reminding me of those games does this one absolutely no favors

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Re: default characters, I've occasionally picked default customization settings because I care too much about aesthetics and I don't want to inadvertently make a character who has a giant schnoz or the one haircut that clips through half the armor in the game because I had no frame of reference when I was making them. This is a real problem in some games, either because the customization engine is lovely and produces lower-quality faces than the hand-done ones for important NPCs and even the loving defaults, or because it's that weird combination of incredibly powerful and extremely limited that makes it easier to create hosed up troll people than healthy looking adult humans (Dark Souls is what I'm thinking of here)

Like I seem to remember the Mass Effect defaults, at least in 2 and 3, cheating and having features you couldn't even recreate with the character customization?

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Lurdiak posted:

Like I get that "the world is hosed up and unfair and bad things happen constantly" is sort of Witcher's thing but this is just like, bad shock value writing to me. It's like if the Malo Mart questline in Twilight Princess ended with Malo being brutally murdered by a bokoblin.

A lot of ppl who like fantasy stuff basically have this terminal break in their brain where they think anything that is relentlessly dark and malicious is realistic and anything that is realistic is inherently good, which is strange because they're engaging a genre called "fantasy" but you know

Witcher 3 is a good game, but it and the people who really love it have that germ

Also Bioshock 1 is even more overrated than Bioshock Infinite

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Dr Cheeto posted:

"people who like a thing I don't like are mentally ill"

I literally said I liked the game in my own post lmao

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

exquisite tea posted:

If you lie to Wrex about curing the genophage, then he will eventually find out because he's smart. If Wrex is dead and Wreav is the Krogan leader in his place, then nobody will discover the cure was sabotaged.

somewhere in the world is a dude who shot mordin in the head to sabotage the genophage cure, then killed wrex in "self-defense" when he came seeking restitution and vengeance

I hope he feels terrible

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
I mean I guess it sucks that the Sheriff dies, but unfortunately for him that Duster of his has +1 Charisma and +5 Small Guns and looks cool so like... I'm not gonna, like, leave him alive

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Nasgate posted:

If you're vegetarian, why try to recreate a dish that literally revolves around the taste of meat though?

most vegetarians give up meat for ethical, religious, social, or dietary reasons, not because they don't think meat is delicious

they want to do their best to reproduce the taste of meat because meat is delicious

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
what is it with moms and unseasoned vegetables

like most of the reason kids don't like vegetables is that their parents are bad cooks

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Should I buy a video game fanart T-shirt?

what art

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

The White Dragon posted:

ya i felt that way about the divine comedy too

paradise lost also owns

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Red Bones posted:

I'm pretty sure the matchmaking mario kart is balanced around is you turning to a couple of buddies and going "do you guys want to play some mario kart?" And you'll all be able to enjoy it even though one of you has never played it and another has put enough hours into it to have a weird angry meltdown about blue shells.

A lot of peoples' complaining about the balance and design of Mario Kart and Smash Bros seems to suggest that the very concept of playing a videogame with a few of your friends or your roomie or your partner or w/e for fun bc you're bored after dinner or want something to do while you have a couple beers and hang out is completely alien to them, like the idea itself has never even crossed their mind

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

This is what makes the idea of competitive Smash all the more mind-boggling

I mean, I think it's cool that the Smash games are robust enough that you can do things like turn off the items and be left with an engaging, exciting experience capable of sustaining competition, but it's also totally nuts to play a game like that competitively and scowl at "casuals" about it

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

In Training posted:

my refund request for DMC3... a piece of crap

is the port a piece of poo poo or something? because the game is good

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

haveblue posted:

Might be running out of people willing to devote an expensive PC and a room of their house to gaming.

yea, or alternately the overlap on the venn diagram of "people who are young and excited enough about gaming to want to be early VR adopters" and "people who have a home with enough extra space in it to devote it to gaming" is shrinking because nobody under 40 has any loving money and the people who do live in expensive apartments

maybe that's what you were saying actually idk

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

oddium posted:

makoto rules and people who date futaba go to real life jail

I dated everyone in NG+, does this mean I go to jail

I would rather go to jail than watch that cutscene ever again, holy poo poo all the girls are legitimately angry or hurt and it made me feel bad

corn in the bible posted:

persona 5: burn my bed

sojiro's gettin upset!!!

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Palpek posted:

I must say that Prey 2017 is making me retroactively regret ever touching Bioshock Infinite. It's an irrational reaction and the only one of this type I've ever had but somehow the way Prey embraces and sometimes expands upon the freedom of System Shock makes Bioshock Infinite's horrendous treatment of it and self-important plot seem so awful in comparison that it magnifies my negative opinion about it.

The Witcher 3 made me feel that way about Dragon Age: Inquisition.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
I remember being jealous of my friend's copy of Baldur's Gate because it was on one DVD instead of like 6 CDs

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Honestly re: waiting on Prey, major studio games are made, sold, and supported in such a way that it's basically better to just stay perpetually a year behind the new release cycle unless you just absolutely have to be part of the conversation or multiplayer scene when a game drops. Most games cost less, are less buggy, and have more content if you wait to buy them. It rules.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
The pop culture stuff in Witcher 3 is fine.

"Durden the Tailor" being the Novigrad fight club champion is a really good example of how well they handle them. They didn't model the NPC to look exactly like Brad Pitt down to wearing his jacket, they didn't have him rattle off fifty Fight Club lines, and he didn't pop up in a dozen quests to go "hey guys do you get the joke yet?"

People who read or saw Fight Club get it and maybe chuckle and move on, people who didn't are none the wiser and don't suffer anything for it. They had to name the guy something; would it have really made the game substantively better for him to have a made-up fantasy name like Gyrgynthorpe or a generic name carefully chosen not to be a reference to any existing media property living or dead?

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
A lot of people when talking about horror games seem to put anything that involves tension building and release or cultivating an atmosphere where you're constantly on-edge as being "jump scare" adjacent and therefore bad, but Dead Space and RE4 both do those things well in places.

I guess a lot of the time I don't understand what exactly people want from a horror game when they say they "want it to be scary", and lament that good modern ones aren't. It's a weird thing I have with horror films, too; I like them because they have a lot of interesting imagery, or provocative and unsettling themes, but like I'm not losing sleep over the idea that witches are gonna get me or I'm gonna turn into a Cronenberg myself because I'm an adult and I understand that those things are either literally or practically impossible. So what's a "scary" horror game and why is action inherently bad for that?

Bloodborne is more actiony and mechanically empowering, in some ways, than most RPGs because you have direct control over a character who's extremely powerful and agile, but it does a lot of great thematic horror stuff.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Lurdiak posted:

I mean sure, if you're making Castlevania I'm not gonna complain that you're doing horror wrong.

Serious question, since Castlevania is a great segue into it: how do you feel about Bloodborne as a horror game? It's action-oriented, but it's full of horrific imagery (going well beyond copy-pasted skeletons and Universal Monsters), has incredibly dark and unpleasant themes (I don't think the game is capable of resolving positively for basically anyone in it), and mechanically puts you in a state of fear because just like other Souls games any misstep can result in sudden and virtually instant death.

If you don't think it's a horror game, or that it's a bad one, why?

Baku fucked around with this message at 22:45 on May 12, 2017

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
The Silence of the Lambs is ostensibly a horror film about a serial killer. Clarice Starling defeats the main antagonist, Buffalo Bill, and rescues his last victim. But Hannibal Lecter escapes from custody, and Clarice will carry scars from what happened for the rest of her life, because Buffalo Bill isn't really the monster in The Silence of the Lambs.

There are a lot of games that pull off very similar arcs, like Bloodborne and The Last of Us. You can't extricate an element like "the protagonist wins several encounters" or whatever from the overall themes of the story and the way they end.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

singateco posted:

3) It's hard to feel like I'm responsible for my actions in video games, because you don't have true freedom of choice.

this horror conversation keeps drifting perilously close to philosophy chat, but you don't have this irl either; games are actually more like reality in this way than ppl usually admit imo

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

FirstAidKite posted:

e: also, would Binding of Isaac count?

ya; I mean it's a game about child abuse and absentee fathers

bayonetta has a badass mom and comes from a matrilineal tradition of patriarchy-smashing witches so I guess it's sort of a mother's day game too

exquisite tea posted:

Come to think of it there are very few good games out there with motherhood as the prevailing theme. It's sad that the best example I can think of in recent times is freaking Bayonetta!

oh, e;fb

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Captain Invictus posted:

Until yesterday after finding one at a yard sale, I never knew these were a real thing and not just a creepy movie/toy/game prop. Turns out they were a toy in the 1950's.

they're actually cursed irl too, good luck goon

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

precision posted:

enter the gungeon is so cute and fun. it's like the binding of isaac, only good

they're both good.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Add me to the list of the people that can't get past Isaac's aesthetic. I even respect it as the legitimate artistic statement that it is, like Piss Christ, but I'm not being asked to spend hours pressed up against Piss Christ

ya, this is fine, I just get annoyed with people who look at it and go "ugh this is just dead baby and poop jokes for edgelords" and don't recognize that its incredibly dark subject matter (and goofy attitude toward it) is actually trying to communicate something about the experience of child abuse and its relationship with religion, as well as the relationship between religion and roguelike mechanics (because roguelikes are the ultimate example of games that dump you in an uncaring, chaotic universe and it's really interesting in that context how mechanically important religion is to huge ones like nethack and crawl)

isaac's aesthetics are gross and themes are unpleasant, and i'm okay with people not wanting to live in them, but they aren't dumb

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
i'm not saying it's not that thing at all, but there's something going on with it other than that

and yeah the reason to play it is because the gameplay owns

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

raditts posted:

People could totally be forgiven for thinking so, since Super Meat Boy was also dead baby and poop jokes for edgelords with the same lovely ugly art style, without the excuse of ~×~ deep n dark themez ~×~

well, that and an awesome platformer, yeah

idk, I think making a roguelike about religion is cool given the role it plays in the genre despite the games being godless random universes, sUE ME

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

In Training posted:

There is not God but Gun God *airhorn sample*

oh ya, in any case my pro-isaac stance should not be interpreted as anti-gungeon or nuclear throne; they're all good games

honestly the rise of indies and creation of a broad and accessible pc gaming marketplace has lead to a world with an abundance of good games of every type, and it fills my heart to bursting...

2017 has been a good year for major studios so far too

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

corn in the bible posted:

the article is right though

ya, steam is a useful and functional platform and PC gaming needs stuff like that and can't just be the wild west if it wants to compete with consoles and be a large enough market for console devs to release on it, but a lot of gamers have this weird thing with corporations they think are their cool pals because they produce something fun and good and aren't like, the worst employers or exploiters in the economy

the whole disney phenomenon, which also applies to companies like nintendo

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
I think it's a choice on the cat's part. Like you're a stray the moment your thinking changes

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
they're actually both cool games

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

oddium posted:

hmm... looks like i've got a date with "al" :D

oddium posted: