Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Are you fuckin' serious? no The Surge??!?!?!?!?

I'm just kidding! I'm not mad! don't sad! I'm sorry

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

The Kins posted:

Thought I forgot something!

I also didn't add the Star Trek VR game because VR is 'spensive

Also Star Trek has a toxic garbage fanbase

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

CJacobs posted:

I feel like "put your name in the credits" should be slightly lower than its inclusion in the $1,500 tier

gently caress that, who wants 20 hours of credits? The no one watches them and they're even more pointless. No one watches credits already.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Video games: why not?

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Nioh DLC just game out and added transforming into female characters. And a new weapon. And other new poo poo. i haven't played it yet thought because all my final projects are due in a week and finals are next week.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Not every game has to be an escape from every real life issue. No one's making you play RUST.

It's totally valid to not like RUST for that reason, but it doesn't make it "stupid".

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I'm just talking about player character gender and race being randomized.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Rust also has randomized penis sizes.

Edit: ^ I kind of understand your point, but like... You're basically saying that the internet isn't the place for it. And I can't disagree more.

Snak fucked around with this message at 10:06 on May 3, 2017

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Well, lots of games have different logic, so teaching a computer to play them is different.

Edit: for example, it took until 2007 for Checkers to be "solved."

Edit: to clarify more:

Basically no "games against AI" have what would be considered AI in the context of "they taught an AI to play chess/go".

AI opponents in general are based around programming algorithms for optimal play. These algorithms are based on human understanding of the game. Like, you.habe a strategy, so you program the computer to.follow that strategy.

When they say "we taught an AI to play chess/go", what they mean is that they taught an AI the rules of the game and it used machine learning to develop its own strategies.

It's completely different from what an "AI opponent is in overwatch"

Snak fucked around with this message at 10:15 on May 3, 2017

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Also that.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Lurdiak posted:

If you get mad your character isn't white in a video game you should be beaten about the face and neck.

Edit: god, gently caress imgur for going from straightforward and easy to use to horribly obtuse.

Snak fucked around with this message at 10:37 on May 3, 2017

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
How could Yoshi possibly be male? It produces eggs...

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
If I recall correctly, Birdo wa originally a crossdressing male, but not trans.

I think within the last decade they just established (or rectconned) Birdo as female.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

raditts posted:

Granted, nobody ever told Birdo that spitting eggs from one's mouth is not what female birds (bird-ish things? what the gently caress is a Birdo anyway?) do, but still.

I stand corrected.

I had some memory of even older art where birdo looked like an actual bird, but google seems to indicated that this is false.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Possibly, but the specific artwork I'm thinking of still seems to not exist.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I like the episode of Misfits where a Holocaust survive buys a time travel ability from the power broker and teleports himself back into to Hitler's office to kill him, but he's still an 80 year old guy, so hitler immediately overpowers him. Then hitler finds his cellphone and the nazis win ww2.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I quit Mass Effect 3 after the game tricked me into lying to someone I wanted as an ally. The game was like "tell them about thing" or "tell them about other thing" and I was like, well, they will probably get mad when I them about thing, so I will tell them about other thing first, and then after I told them about other thing, the conversation was over and 20 seconds later they were like "we found out about thing! you loving lied to us and hid this, we're enemies now". And I was like wow gently caress this poo poo.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

FillInTheBlank posted:

I just finished MGSV and goddamn, Kojima, that ending.

I did not expect it at all.

Now find that video that shows what the last act was supposed to be like with concept art and unfinished cut scenes. It's really cool.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
For real: LIQUID SNAKE loving STOLE SAHELANTHROPUS AND RODE OFF INTO THE SUNSET. I guess they will address it in the next game... oh..

Also, spell check wants to change SAHELANTHROPUS to PHILANTHROPIST :monocle:

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I thought someone said it was like Limbo, which was basically a giant turnoff for me.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Limbo was aesthetically really cool, but I basically hated the gameplay.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Lurdiak posted:

These witcher bestiary entries should really be less sassy about getting the myths and creatures they appropriate wrong. It's like "unlike what stupid idiot morons think, basilisks can't turn people to stone". Hey guys, you're the ones getting it wrong... Maybe take it down a notch.

I mean that's kind of the thing about Witchers. They're like.. fantasy park rangers, and mythology created by humans is born out of fear and ignorance.

edit: ^ that is also true.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Furi is really cool.

^ definitely Thai food.

Five Guys is okay, but it's no contest between it and even mediocre Thai food.

edit, and yeah, a medium fry is more than enough for two people. One time I thought I should splurge on a large to split between two people, and we ended up with an entire plate of fries leftover.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

chumbler posted:

Hot take: Five Guys' fries are not that good.

They're a fry that needs a condiment. I put them on the end of the spectrum of fries that like "this is like a potato" which is like, where steak fries reside, and is the opposite of, say, mcdonald's's "these are addictive as gently caress".

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
five guys has about the soggiest fries of anywhere, though...

edit: There are 3 five guys in my town. I think. Maybe just two.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
If you have a halfway decent grill, grilling your own burgers can be great. I've made some loving monster burgers this week. My roommate sometimes make these fancy burgers that have like, diced onions and peppers mixed into the patties, but I'm super lazy and I don't do any of that. I just take the ground beef, smash it into patties, a little salt and pepper and chuck em on the grill. I don't even oil it or anything and the come out super good.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
We got a cheap old gas grill off of craig's list. It was like 15 bucks.

Pan frying burgers is fine too, but I like to get outside when it's nice and it kind of dirties one less dish.

Grilling with charcoal has its plusses, but it's much more of a pain and a bigger endeavor than just turning gas on and off.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

If you go to their website, you can see this:

Those were all posted like 2 months ago.

I remember reading this quote:
“Forty years ago, I set out to make a personal art picture that could hopefully influence generations of viewers for years to come. Today, I’m joined by new daredevils, a team who want to make an interactive version of Apocalypse Now, where you are Captain Benjamin Willard amidst the harsh backdrop of the Vietnam War. I’ve been watching videogames grow into a meaningful way to tell stories, and I’m excited to explore the possibilities for Apocalypse Now for a new platform and a new generation,” said Francis Coppola via official announcement.

And thinking "He thinks that this is somehow going to be meaningful and interactive art."

Very few first person shooters manage to pull that off.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I like that I can eat a bunch of peanuts while I wait for my food.

Edit: after looking at the Apocalypse Now game website, I'm pretty sure it's practically a scam to get Coppola to invest in it. It has no funding, they cancelled their kickstarted. They are planning to release it on the following platforms:

PC
PS4
XBox One
Linux
Mac

Supporting:
PlayStation VR
HTC Vive
Oculus Rift
Samsung Gear VR
Google Daydream View

And here's what they say about cancelling the kickstarter:

quote:

Audience Demographics

Kickstarter’s audience is majority women (as much as 66% depending on the time / day).

Our audience is majority men (80%+).

Pledge Averages

Kickstarter’s audience prefers an average pledge of $25-30.

Our audience prefers a much higher average pledge. How high? Very high for Advisor tiers and around $120 for Enlisted/Officer tiers which matches FIG’s average. Our people want a AAA game, not a bargain project and none of us Backers or Developers, will accept anything less than greatness.

Web Traffic Stats

Kickstarter suffered a very meaningful (hopefully temporary but unexpected) decline in web traffic right before we put up the page there. This decline appears to continue.

We don’t make that up we get it from Amazon’s Alexa web traffic charts. You can see the free version here:

http://www.alexa.com/siteinfo/kickstarter.com

We can’t do anything about anybody else’s website. We only have control over our own.

loving LOL

Emphasis mine. Kickstarter is failing and is mostly women, but our website for this game will get more traffic than kickstarter and will have a better chance of people pledging AND AVERAGE OF 120 loving DOLLARS?!

Holy poo poo.

Snak fucked around with this message at 01:10 on May 6, 2017

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
This better be loving Friday, or I'm in even deeper poo poo than I thought.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Cool. Now someone write this report for me :suicide:

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I'm so stoked that I'm adding extra letters to things...

For real, though, I'm guessing they put everything they had into recreating scenes from the movie in like, whatever game engine (probably the Unreal whatever) so they could pitch it to Coppola, who was like "wow, if you can get funding we can collaborate on this" and then... well, they couldn't, because everyone who gives a poo poo about Apocalypse Now doesn't really care about movie tie-in games, and the people who drop $60 bucks on every new CoD aren't going to drop more than $120 dollars for some single player thing.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
"Feast Casual?!"

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I think Sonic has pretty good burgers.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

In Training posted:

The only company i pay attention to at E3 is nintendo because everybody else is announcing games coming out in 2+ years.

...doesn't Nintendo usually just announce remakes and ports of games people have already played?

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Veggie sausage is pretty decent, though.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Wamdoodle posted:

I don't see a burger or mention of one anywhere on there soooooo....

According to the chart, a burger would be "structural purist, ingredient neutral"

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I know about it from Computer Gaming World.

Or wait, no. INTERACTIVE magazine.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Lizard Wizard posted:

I should've been more clear; my concern isn't investing stats, but whether or not the boss weapons are good in general.

Dude.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Jay Rust posted:

Is there a meaningful difference between fanart and fanfiction, really

Well, I think that depends on the if the fanart has a narrative aspect to it, and whether that aspect is a creation of the artist, or a depiction of an event in the source material.

Like, it's not fanfiction to draw a picture of some that happened in the source material. Like, Sephiroth killing Aeris. But if you draw a picture of Cloud and Sephiroth making out, your fan art is also fan fiction.

• Locked thread