Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Cowcaster posted:

is final fantasy even a huge draw itself these days? i know it's still in triple A territory but I thought its heyday was long past compared to market busters like call of duty or uncharted etc. etc.

Well, it doesn't hurt that FF15 is actually a pretty drat good game, especially compared to 13 (though 13-2 and 13-3 are two of the best in the series)

Also: Goddamn it Persona 5, don't throw a maze dungeon at me at 5 AM when I'm really stoned (I got to the Pyramid last night)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I got Absolution free with PS+ and it was... fine? Never understood why people were down on that game, the story and B-movie poo poo is bonkers but it was a blast to play.

Hitman GO is also very good, probably the best of the GO games.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

exquisite tea posted:

Well sometimes games receive a lot of hype at release because they are indeed, good.

Most games these days are, indeed, good.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

raditts posted:

Is Dungeons 2 a good game? I've never heard of it but it's apparently free on the Humble Store for the next couple days.
https://www.humblebundle.com/store/dungeons-2?linkID=&mcID=102:59136fd3f0c3603d6c654b70:ot:56e84adb733462ca89992301:1

Quick glance at Metacritic makes it sound like a fun Dungeon Keeper clone, so I'm in. Thanks for the heads up!

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I never did get around to playing Infamous Second Son though I bought it months ago when it was dirt cheap.

Started playing last night and just couldn't stop. It's kind of insane how perfect the Infamous games are about having collectibles and "map icon stuff" without them feeling tedious or overwhelming. Why haven't more studios tried to copy Sucker Punch instead of Ubisoft? In Second Son, you spend pretty much 100% of your playing time zipping around and pulling awesome combat tricks, and there's just enough side stuff to be meaty without being fatty.

When's the next Infamous game already?

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Yeah I played First Light 2 years ago. I can see why some would prefer it because it's exactly the same just a bit tighter and more focused/smaller. Second Son has a really likeable protagonist (big change from the first two games) but halfway through the plot is more or less just "take back the city from the bad hombres".

I don't know that I'd say First Light is categorically better especially since the Light power you use in it is only one of three power sets you have in SS, and the differences between them are well done and nicely complementary.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

CJacobs posted:

A bunch of people left and went to their own self-hosted website because of lowtax/shmorky drama that was stupid and dumb

I used to read/watch LPs on here a fair bit (well, like one or two a month). Pretty sure the first LP I ever watched was Kung Fu Jesus doing that Columbine school shooting game, which iirc was v. funny. I also enjoyed Simply Simon's informative Mega Mans, MeccaPrime's chill Zelda/Metroid stuff, the amazing Mario Party mega-thing, etc. Nowadays I just watch a few streamers, I think they're all from here (you, superherofae, couple others whose names I'm blanking on)

There actually was a point to that preamble! Recommend me a cool/funny video LP that's currently going on. I'm almost too tired/medicated to play a game on my own today :(

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
enter the gungeon is so cute and fun. it's like the binding of isaac, only good

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

i do not like the aesthetics of binding of isaac. it's me, i'm the guy who cares about things other than gameplay

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

oddium posted:

enter the gungeon and isaac are both bad for different reasons, where bad here is defined as not nuclear throne, king of kings, blessed be

sounds like nuclear throne would be extremely my poo poo then

FauxLeather posted:

It's possible to like the gameplay and aesthetics of both, and i am doing it

oh i'm sure. isaac's imagery just turns me off really bad. i wish it didn't, as it does seem like a really fun game, but i can't get past it.

i have the opposite problem with Crypt of the NecroDancer, the art style of that game (and the music/sounds) are so good that i look past the extremely simple gameplay (simple, but good)

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Add me to the list of the people that can't get past Isaac's aesthetic. I even respect it as the legitimate artistic statement that it is, like Piss Christ, but I'm not being asked to spend hours pressed up against Piss Christ

Games chat: Casual Serrano references. Best gen chat on the forums!

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

drat Dirty Ape posted:

It's not a real Civ game until a Phalanx unit with a bronze spear takes out a battleship bombarding it from the shore line.

Even in Civ 5 I routinely have Archers protecting my cities until well into the Industrial Age :j:

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
oddly enough i had no problem with the aesthetics of Super Meat Boy, maybe because they're much easier to ignore

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Diablo 3 on console is phenomenal, it really is. It's basically a very updated Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance 2 and that game was my jam.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
ppl love to dog on AssCreed but there are more good than bad AC games:

great:

Black Flag
Rogue
Syndicate
AC2
Brotherhood
Watch Dogs 2

good:

AC1 (if you play it before any of the others)
Revelations

bad:

Unity
AC3
Watch Dogs 1

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Cowcaster posted:

if you're going to include watch dogs as an assassin's creed game i think you have to remove black flag for not being an assassin's creed game

hmmm... yeah that checks out. black flag's main connection to the AC series is "the protagonist does not want to be in an AC game at all"

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Monkey Fracas posted:

Like if they just eliminated this from the game it would help a looooot

How was Syndicate on this front?

syndicate is less about trailing dudes for information and more about rappeling through the glass roof of sweatshops so you can brutally cane the guards and also your hideout is a literal train

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Help Im Alive posted:

Doom 2016 is pretty fast but then I ruin the pacing by opening the map every 20 seconds + going back to unexplored areas to find collectibles

i do this with every game in which it is possible to do so. every. single. one.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Jay Rust posted:

If there are two paths and you take the one that leads to progress, you better turn around and go down the other path because there's gonna be an item at the end of it. Video Games 101

e: Incidentally this is why I despise random encounters in RPGs

you might think this is bullshit but i swear this really works:

in JRPGs, the path with the treasure is almost always to the right, and the path forward to the left. in WRPGs, it's the opposite.

i theorize this is because you read japanese from right to left and western languages from left to right. regardless, it's something i've been doing in games for over a decade and it almost always works.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Lurdiak posted:

there's all these lore entries, and I mean it's my fault for reading them

interezting, zo you are implying zat ze lore iz neither bad nor good until it iz obzerved, nein?

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Help Im Alive posted:

I hate when you realise you've accidentally gone down the correct path so you have to backtrack

And then when you get all the way back to the treasure chest it has like 100 gil or a Hi-Potion

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

fridge corn posted:

Is DOOM the best single player fps on ps4 right now?

I haven't played it yet but from what I've seen it would probably be Prey

but D2016M is really good

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
i put chrono cross on our ps3 because my partner wanted to replay it and now i'm tempted to also since i played it once, to completion, when it came out, and never touched it again, so all i really remember is "weird color coded battle system" and "stupidly huge number of characters with no plot"

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Sakurazuka posted:

Honestly the only thing I don't really like about Chrono Cross is the dumb tons of playable characters who have nothing to do with the plot thing. It's like they decided to copy Suikoden but in the most half arsed way possible.

iirc wasn't it also an issue that the ones that looked like they would have a cool story didn't, while the boring stupid ones did have stories. like you get Ziggy Stardust as a party member and he had zero story.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Dewgy posted:

Primal is really really fun, but it's also easy to burn out on. The plot is paper thin and pointless though, so it's a great game to put down and pick back up whenever you feel like it.

yeah for sure. i loved the 15-20 hours i put in before i got bored. game is pretty too, but Horizon kinda blew it away in every possible way

i got the Ezio Collection and so far i've only played about the first 1/4 of 2 but i'm surprised at how well it holds up. it's still very fun.

e: also as an huge burroughs and mysticism dork i was blown away that hassan i sabbah was in a video game

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
AC2 did have the Feathers though and gently caress that noise

i really liked the base building aspect, simple as it was. hey, i built a brothel, are you proud of me mama? ...mama? :(

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
most glaring disparity in quality between trailer and game:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aQa-SMrVG08

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
brotherhood's multiplayer was so money

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Extremely surprised RE7 didn't outsell them both

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
he walked into the room, and wrote "FAR CRY" on the whiteboard

paused

then "FAR CRYS"

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

tap my mountain posted:

Yeah watching that trailer reminded me that I need to start listening to Passover again.

I keep trying to convince myself that their last couple albums are just as good as Passover and Directions to See a Ghost but there's just something slightly imperfect about them, whereas passover and dtsag are perfect

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
my extremely controversial opinion is that steam and gog are both good, and possibly cool

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
people who get mad about Steam remind me of people who get mad about Spotify (David Lowery, why you gotta be so cray cray man)

like, "it's better than piracy" is a legitimate defense. the fact that it's a legitimate defense might be sad, but that's human beings for you, that's capitalism, that's the FYGM mentality that most people have.

a free market is ultimately self-defeating if it doesn't have any kind of ethical control, and the number of people who are ethical about money is a small percentage. poo poo, the vast majority of my best friends are way more okay with pirating music and games than i am - i basically never do it, and honestly, that probably qualifies me as being mentally ill :shrug: :wooper: :420:

EDIT: but i do agree that Early Access has... issues, even for a free market

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Cowcaster posted:

courtesy matt bors

i blocked that guy on facebook.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
edit: ^^^ that's pretty good, the sound effects are perfect

and of course, when i say i'm ethical about money all i mean is i'm dumb enough to want to give money to people who make art i like in the most efficient way possible. i don't mean i give a ton of money to charity. i probably should. maybe? poo poo, i dunno. i'm gonna go play some video games.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I can honestly only think of one game the steam client has hosed up for me, but I only got back into pc gaming 7 years ago and including gift trains and sales I've only got 100 some games and then like a dozen from gog, and pretty much no games that can't be run on a 2013 laptop

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Quest For Glory II posted:

JOHNNY POST LATELY

Lmao

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
got too many games as it is but i watched cjacobs blindstream of THE SURGE and it looks... really fun?

how are you all doing

edit: also i found a new favorite band

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lh2qHxUDt6o

i'm in the video

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I swear i bought alan wake on steam last year because i never played it on xbox and so i was stoked but it's not in my library? did i hallucinate an entire steam transaction? :psyduck:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Looper posted:

Pikmin is so loving good

man it really is, i hope that 2D pikmin game ends up being dece

• Locked thread