Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country
Hamas no longer wants to destroy Israel.

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-palestinians-hamas-document-idUSKBN17X1N8

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

Waroduce posted:

e: if a women significantly better looking than your average starts to be interested in you watch out ;-*

SwampDonkey posted:

but she takes me to all the best museums.

But enough about Ivanka Trump :v:

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

Pesticide20 posted:

An administration led by Dr. Thaddeus S. Venture would be more competent than what we have right now

"Why is it that every time I try to pass a budget, we get waylaid by jackassery?"

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country
Mick Mulvaney held a conference call with reporters.

It did not end well.

https://twitter.com/BraddJaffy/status/859609243774840834

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

psydude posted:

Typical GiP doom and gloom aside, I doubt it'll ever make it through the Senate. What this did accomplish is give Democratic candidates in swing districts plenty of ammunition.

They already have plenty as it is. On the way to work this morning, I passed a bunch of seniors protesting Erik Paulson's vote for this piece of trash. Come November he can probably kiss his seat goodbye.

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

CommieGIR posted:

Yeah, its not like they highlighted why they were seceding in their Articles of Secession or anything....

...oh wait, it was slavery.

NO IT WAS STATES RIGHTS! THE YANKEES THOUGHT THEY COULD PUSH US AROUNDS BUT WE SURE SHOWED THEM!!

Yes, the core issue was states rights.

...the right to own slaves.

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

CommieGIR posted:

That's the best part is all the Southerner's going 'We sure showed them'

By what? Losing?

Well you see they would have won if it those Yankees hadn't cheated by blockading our ports or convincing England to stay neutral.

Remember, everything is the other guy's fault.

HERATAGE NOT HATE.

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

anatoliy pltkrvkay posted:

It's okay. Russian ships come pre-hit. No need to waste precious ordinance; they're already on fire.

A coal-fired aircraft carrier? Sounds like something from a bad steampunk novel.

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

Dingleberry posted:

I've been shopping an idea to the airlines via singing telegram that they should partner with state and federal prisons to let non- or mildly violent offenders work as flight attendants at prison wages. $.30/hour is reasonable to expect a win-win for airlines, passengers, and inmates.

I like it. Doubles as both customer service and in-flight security.

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

Zeris posted:

I don't know...dead people are a lot easier to get along with than autistic people

They don't smell as bad either.

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

Genocide Tendency posted:

While demonstrating an astounding level of ignorance and managing to be loving wrong, he brings up an issue that at some point someone needs to explain.

How did he still have his clearance?

The President doesn't control it. But if there were so many issues surrounding Flynn, why didn't someone involved in security clearances at least look into it. If they did, HOW THE gently caress DID THEY THINK HE SHOULD HAVE KEPT IT? Thats what has really bugged me. Someone somewhere hosed up and let this rear end in a top hat keep a clearance he shouldn't have had.

Which is why they should give Flynn immunity and get him to testify under oath. Lord knows what he can tell us about what Trump knew and when.

Even better, Trump could try to prevent him from testifying and create a Watergate situation.

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

orange juche posted:

Man this shits gonna be like what happened with Watergate except trump is too stupid to resign.

Monday Night Massacre sounds like a WWE special, but I can work with it.

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

facialimpediment posted:

uh

woops

https://twitter.com/BraddJaffy/status/861780511601111041

And Kimmel comes back swinging, from an advanced transcript http://variety.com/2017/tv/news/jimmy-kimmel-healthcare-son-update-media-1202419303/

Edit: ahahahah that congressman that left that interview with the kids actually went to a town hall meeting and got his rear end handed to him there too https://twitter.com/edatpost/status/861789827271970820

Have Iowan congressmen always been this bad? I swear I don't remember Iowa being that racist or right wing.

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

yeah iowa was the weird blue state in a swamp of red

It might be selective memory, but I remember Iowa getting worked up for only three things:

Corn and Corn subsidiaries
Minor League Baseball
Lutheran Weddings

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country
Wait, which one is the Nazihobo? I thought Sessions was Racist Perjury Elf.

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country
So, here's something: https://www.washingtonpost.com/blog...m=.fdc6b8cc8432

When Sessions recommended that Trump fire Comey, doing so might have violated his recusal notice. If they did this to keep Comey from digging around in Russia's trash, this could be seen as obstruction of justice.

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

pre nixon a lot of presidents did it

wonder why they stopped

Here's one of the reasons: https://youtu.be/S3GT9UN7nDo

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

https://www.tsl.texas.gov/ref/abouttx/flagpledge.html

The State Department of Texas posted:

Honor the Texas flag; I pledge allegiance to thee, Texas, one state under God, one and indivisible.

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

Cugel the Clever posted:

Out of morbid, Clancy-esque curiosity, what would be the likely outcome had one of the protesters assaulted by Erdogan's thugs been armed and defended themselves? Is there precedent for such a thing?

Probably tried on manslaughter charges in DC, 50/50 on being convicted. Turkey would move to extradite him to Istambul, but State would block the request.

But if we're talking Clancy level shenanigans:

The protester would shoot and miss, but the ricochet would kill some Turkish diplomat, the bullet fragment would be so deformed that the ballistics lab would mismatch it to a Russian pistol, the Turks would think the Russians were trying to make a power grab, Erdogan would ally himself with Venezuela to attack the US, they try to kill Scott Ryan but miss, blah blah blah... and then Moscow gets nuked.

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country
Mueller's Bronze Star Citation:

Marine Corp Times posted:

When the North Vietnamese infantry company opened fire with automatic weapons and grenade launchers, 2nd Lt. Bob Mueller instantly took command.

"Let's go, squad leaders! Defensive perimeter! Bring up that M-60, on the double. Come on, guys--move it!"

It happened in Quang Tri Province, South Vietnam, on Dec. 11, 1968.

On that morning 34 years ago, Robert Swan Mueller, III, was leading a U.S. Marine Corps infantry unit on a Vietnam War combat patrol.

Suddenly, Mueller's hard-charging platoon of gung-ho "grunts" found itself confronting more than 200 battle-hardened North Vietnamese regulars.

Within 15 minutes, Mueller's outfit had taken several casualties.

But the lieutenant didn't hesitate. After several months of grueling preparation at Quantico--headquarters for Marine Corps officer training--he was ready to assume command. During the next few hours, he would lead his courageous platoon of "jarheads" through a brutal firefight marked by heavy casualties on both sides.

He also would earn the Bronze Star for valor and the Purple Heart as commander of 2nd Plt., H Co., 2nd Bn., 4th Regt., 3rd Marine Div., during his tour in Vietnam between July 1968 and June 1969.

According to the .U.S. Marine Corps archives, here's what happened next on that long-ago morning in Quang Tri.

"Quickly establishing a defensive perimeter, 2nd Lt. Mueller fearlessly moved from one position to another, directing the accurate counterfire of his men and shouting words of encouragement to them.

"With complete disregard for his own safety, he then skillfully supervised the evacuation of casualties from the hazardous area and, on one occasion, personally led a fire team across the fire-swept terrain to recover a mortally wounded Marine who had fallen in a position forward of the friendly lines.

"2nd Lt. Mueller's courage, aggressive initiative and unwavering devotion to duty at great personal risk were instrumental in the defeat of the enemy force and were in keeping with the highest traditions of the Marine Corps and of the United States Naval Service."

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country
So, Flynn and Sessions might only be the tip of the Russkie iceberg.

"Exclusive: Trump campaign had at least 18 undisclosed contacts with Russians: sources" - http://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-trump-russia-contacts-idUSKCN18E106

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

Dead Reckoning posted:

Have we forgotten the X CURES Y fad so fast? Like, that's just the first example off the top of my head where I'm not sure all the racism was ironic.

SALT CURES HAMS

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

Ayn Marx posted:

That's almost non-retarded, at least for Donnie

I actually kind of like it. Makes ISIS sound like a bunch of 'NO gently caress YOU DAD' neckbeards.

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country
Wait, Duterte is bombing cities in the Philippines? As in full on Arc Light-style bombing missions?

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

Waroduce posted:

Is that one of the states you can legally drink and drive in

They also didn't have speed limits from 1995 - 1999.

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country
This might be a dumb question, but why would so many Republicans get into bed with the Russkies? I can't seriously believe they thought it would be a good idea to start doing secret business with Putin.

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

Stultus Maximus posted:

I'm not arguing one way or another here, but I was thinking, does anyone know why extreme racism (especially antisemitism) and misogyny seems to be common in schizophrenics? Like, it's not just these guys or ddees, but who hasn't passed homeless people on the street screaming at lampposts about the Jews?

Same reason why they wear tinfoil hats and listen to Infowars. A huge international Soviet-Nazi-Jewish-Something conspiracy is what actually makes them crazy, not a mental disorder. If their medication don't work or makes them into a drooling zombie, its the fault of the Jewish Bankers and the Fourth Reich trying to keep them down from exposing the truth!

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country
Someone shot and killed 8 people in Mississippi, including a deputy sheriff.
https://apnews.com/0dfc8b5aef70466094aaabc8029616a4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

bird food bathtub posted:

It's almost impressive really how thoroughly and absolutely Donnie is self-absorbed in any and everything he does. Second only to "I will do whatever it takes to make myself richer", Donnie's entire personal governing philosophy seems to be OBAMA DID A THING, THING BAD because he's just that petty and spiteful about the Obamas.

"loving KIDS EATING HEALTHY IN SCHOOL? NAH gently caress THAT, THAT OBAMA BITCH IN THE WHITE(MAN'S) HOUSE SAID IT SO gently caress IT AND gently caress THEM"

Makes me wonder what they would be doing if Obama did something they liked, say tax cuts for real estate developers.

• Locked thread