Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Odradek posted:

I participated in an awesome seminar today - this Canadian guy had been radicalized in his late teens and went over to Syria to support ISIS. He was a supporter, not a combatant. After being there for a while he realized it was BS and he returned to Canada and offered to help their Intel services. He provided some excellent insights into what drives people to support ISIS and how they can be de-radicalized. He was very animated and funny and did a great 1 1/2 hour presentation. Since it was a VTC (I'm working in Charlottesville VA and the talk was at DIA HQ in DC) it was amusing to see the reaction shots of the crowd during the presentation - lots of scowls. "This dude was an ISIS scumbag...why is he here?" Overall, good insights into a dangerous ideology and some tips on how to fight it. I like my job. I'm not a CT guy (most of my experience in in counterproliferation/nuclear stuff) but this session got me smart on some interesting stuff.

Oh yeah, for the guy who asked me for more information on the NK nuclear issue, I served 3 years as the Chief of the WMD Intelligence Cell in USFK, so I'm pretty dialed in to all things NK nuclear. They got em, just need to get good at getting them to us.

Good God my man. The idea is to not so subtly hint that you're doing Important Classified Work. "Oh, I'm an analyst specializing in nuclear counterproliferation" or "I research WMD Deterrence for the DoE." You don't just outright state it, where's the fun in that!?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

Gobbeldygook posted:

Except for that guy. He got the MOH for dropping a grenade and then diving on it. Award him something for doing the right thing but I'd prefer we reserve the highest honor for people who aren't just fixing their own incredible gently caress-up. If I playfully shoved you, but you unexpectedly fell over onto the road, but I pulled you back just before a car ran you over, would you thank me for saving your life? You'd be happy I saved you but I was still the whole reason you almost died.

I don't think this is the hill you want to die on.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

The more time Greenwald spends making tepid burns the less he's writing for that insipid rag of his, so I'll take it. P

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

McCarthy was riiiiight.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

My real concern is how much influence the Russians had over him when he was the head of the DIA. Because that, frankly, is terrifying.

Not that suborning the National Security Advisor isn't bad enough.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

facialimpediment posted:

This entire article is filled with filthy, filthy smut.

https://twitter.com/jdawsey1/status/862156871981039620

Words cannot describe how badly I want these treasonous, smug motherfuckers to go to jail.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

LtCol J. Krusinski posted:

I kinda wanna see Flynn exonerated of any wrong doing if he didn't do anything wrong.

That's some wishful rear end thinking but that's just me.

Oh honey.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

Talk about bad timing.

I mean it's entirely innocuous, it's proper for the POTUS to meet with foreign emmissaries - even if its more properly the job of the Secretary of State, it's hardly unprecedented.

But maaaaan what lovely timing.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

This might be the most tortured burn I've ever seen.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

You mean Jeff Sessions, surely. He's a far more literal example.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

Reverand maynard posted:

The next administration can fix health care problems, stomp out corruption etc but it can't undo problems with a flawed education system that turns out uneducated students. Not to mention left leaning teachers going 'gently caress this'

Oh I don't disagree. I'm just saying murdered younglings becomes very literal under the guidance of a racist keebler elf head of Justice.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

I was pissed about the emails but still voted for Hillary because I thought she'd ultimately be a good president regardless. And however bad her infosec, his was and is a million times worse.

But for some reason people can't admit that their candidate has a flaw but would still be worthy of office.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

Now I'm just imagining getting hosed by the Hatch Act for posts on something loving awful :laffo:

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

I literally explicitly said that I thought Trump was and is, literally, a million times worse

I'm a big Hillary partisan. You ain't gotta sway me.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

goatsestretchgoals posted:

sorry i got half way through and figured id finish my thought

no offense meant

None taken! I just found it funny because I always wanted to be Hillary Clinton when I was a kid and that's changed less than I'd like.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

https://mobile.twitter.com/thehill/...r%3D384%23pti11

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

Mr. Nice! posted:

Yeah the impeachment rumbling has just been various reporters tweets. I'm trying to not clog up this thread with every tweet I come across.

Well that and they're actively discussing it on CNN right now.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

Stultus Maximus posted:

Vince Foster for the 21st century?

literally yes except even more retarded

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

Wonder what the blackmail was

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

Waroduce posted:

Didn't someone report yesterday that US aircraft bombed Syrian forces? Wtf happened to that

Well they're currently thirty kilometres away from partner forces and advancing again, so we might just repeat the strike.

Hilariously, Russia apparently warned the SAA not to advance beforehand, and lol at the unit dumb enough to advance into American airstrikes despite the warnings of both the US and Russia.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

quote:

According to one high-level banking official in London, the U.S. president “was probably referring to London-based American investment banks cutting staff and enacting relocation plans as a consequence of Brexit.”

I guarantee you he was not.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

LtCol J. Krusinski posted:

Current Event: War Machine released on Netflix. I'm 10 minutes in and I've been in stitches this whole time. Because someone who knows what's up wrote the screenplay. You guys gotta see it: Clooney is playing a very funny Stanley McChrystal, and the rest of the people you can figure out who they are. This movie is loving incredible so far. Again just 10 minutes in.

You know it's Brad Pitt, not Clooney, yeah?

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

ded posted:

You forgot the best one. "most likely to be accepted by white people"

I mean these are hilarious but way more suitable for a graduating high school or college class

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

See this is why I don't drink beer. So many different options that everyone cares entirely too much about, and the calories are brutal for the alcohol you get.

Gimme cocktails all day instead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

milk milk lemonade posted:

France and America are like two peas in a pod:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sinking_of_the_Rainbow_Warrior

One of the people involved was later promoted to Colonel :lol:

quote:

Mafart subsequently become a photographer, and in 2016 was a finalist in the Natural History Museum’s Wildlife Photographer of the Year award.[1] In 2014, under the name Alain Mafart-Renodier, one of his photos was selected for inclusion in an international Greenpeace calendar. Upon belatedly realising the identity of the photographer, Greenpeace destroyed 14,000 calendars it held in stock but could not prevent the majority from being sold to the public.[2]

:laffo:

I can't even be mad that's just hilarious.

• Locked thread