Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
And if both Democrats and Republicans agree on a budget, they could easily find enough votes to override a Trump veto.

Happy Labour Day, GiP :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Proud Christian Mom posted:

reading this budget overview I'd never in a million years thought Democrats could get this much

The most conservative websites are non-stop raging at the Dems getting everything, with those evil RINOs capitulating completely to the Lieberals. It's pretty entertaining.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Zeroisanumber posted:

They're planning to completely rewrite the tax code to soak the poor and give a big cut to the wealthy before the summer's out, they didn't want a major budget fight beforehand.

But they need to pass their Obamacare repeal first, using the budget saving generated by cutting health care to pass their tax cuts. So that the combined effort doesn't increase the deficit and can thus be passed through reconciliation, avoiding a Dem filibuster. And it's not clear if the AHCA can pass the House, much less the Senate.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
First class trolling by the Russians:

https://twitter.com/RussianEmbassy/status/860078118912106496

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

666 posted:

Instead of hacking or open war what the west shoud've done right after Georgia is sanction them until life for the average russian starts to resemble life in best korea. First you hit Putin and his buddies in the only place they feel which is their wallet, and once the bread lines close opposition will finish them off.

That's an easy position to take if you're an American. And wouldnt have much of an effect if its an USA embargo alone, since the trade ties are so small. But the Russians do about 50% of their trade with us in Europe. Which, given the size of their economy, cuts both ways. Even though it would hurt Russia much more than us if we stopped trading with them, it would still be pretty painful for us as well. Not to mention that we kind of need Rusdian gas to not run out of energy in the winter. Its mutually assured destruction. We cant get by without their energy exports, but they also cannot credibly threaten to stop supplying gas to us, since their economy would collapse without those export revenues.

Additionally, I think sanctions have a rather bad track record. Did they work in Best Korea? Cuba? Even Iran only got rid of the sanctions targeting their nuclear weapons program. The US has sanctioned them for sponsoring terrorism for decades without creating any change in policy. Because those governments can often blame the evil outsiders for the resulting economic problems. Not to mention how patriotism interacts with the issue. Hypothetically, if the rest of the world cut off trade to the US until the 2nd Amendment is repealed, do you think that would work? Or do you think even liberal gun control enthusiasts would reject this foreign meddling in their affairs?

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

M_Gargantua posted:

With only four ships commodore Perry opened Japan to trade. Imagine if he had carrier battle groups.

Also I'm sure Saudi Arabia would be happy to sell Eastern Europe energy instead of Russia. In some ways they already are.

Just assume that evil/benevolent aliens are enforcing global peace. What's your answer now?

Regarding Saudi Arabia, the infrastructure simply isn't there right now to replace Russia.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
Probably placed by a team mate as a prank.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Duzzy Funlop posted:

In German news, Schleswig-Holstein's regional election results are in, and the main opposition party to Merkel's CDU bombed hard. They needed to show that they still have momentum to carry over into the national election in September, but instead nutted in their pants before even picking up their date at the door.

The AfD (Alternative fuer Deutschland), basically the Neonazis with the most recent new-car-smell, barely cleared the 5% bar, which essentially meant to avoid a major defeat. It's pretty much around where they polled, and they've been plagued with infighting and other scandals, so no one was expecting major gains for them.

I'm super pissed at that. Especially if you consider that most people considered the SPD led government to be pretty good. I don't even want to go into the German politics thread, I don't think I can take GC's gloating. At least the AfD didn't get a lot of votes.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
After Pence, Ryan and Hatch, Tillerson is next in line for succession. That's also not really an improvement. But after Tillerson is Mnuchin, and then Mattis! If Hatch gets a heart attack upon hearing that Trump, Ryan and Pence fell over their Russia ties, Tillerson steps down because his wife tells him to for some reason, you would only need to get rid of Goldman Sachs banker Mnuchin.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

facialimpediment posted:

Donnie called Saul.

https://twitter.com/AP/status/863032385029451777

I never post about Donnie, with few exceptions.

So he had income from Russian sources?

Thank god Trump and his team are utterly incompetent.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
According to reports, Trump is openly musing about firing Spicer :(

In other news, Eurovision is on now, friends. Please join us in one of the best television shows on this planet.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Wait, I thought there was a special law that allowed Texas to be split into up to four (five?) states. How can it then be indivisible?

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Waroduce posted:

He didn't wanna run Tho

I woulda voted for pres Biden and VP Obama. That's possible Yea?

I think the VP must be eligible to become president (so only natural born citizens for example), and since Obama was ineligible to become president (again), he wouldn't have been eligible to be VP.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
My parents love Cuba and spent their last holiday in Havana. They said they wanted to enjoy it one last time before it's overrun with American tourists. Perhaps I can get them a few weeks of Cuba vacation for their 60th birthday in a few years years if Trump continues to be dumb?

Just trying to stay positive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Avshalom?

• Locked thread