Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

orange juche posted:

nah I heard electroshock therapy was coming back around.

Nah, that's so last decade. Electroshock therapy can cause measurable, physical harm to people and that gets all messy with lawsuits and stuff. The current hotness for fixing 'the gay' is psychological torture rebranded as Gay Conversion Therapy. Fortunately our vice president is such a vocal and outspoken opponent of that kind of thing that there's nothing to worry about.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

facialimpediment posted:

I generally don't want to go HOLY poo poo DID YOU SEE WHAT DONNIE SAID, but I think this is a valid exception.

A year and a half ago, Donnie said to John Meacham that Donnie could've done a deal to avoid the Civil War.

https://twitter.com/BraddJaffy/status/859365861945159681

And remember, the NSA Wizard drinks because he loves you so much.

Edit: Hollywood writer's strike averted https://twitter.com/CNNMoney/status/859331379611537408

Donnie Dumbfuck probably does believe his own bullshit about being a mega supreme ultimate best deal maker and negotiater. From day one of his life his daddies billions got him whatever he wanted, as CEO everyone in his company did what he wanted, he's had an army of lawyers ready to turbo gently caress everyone else in any contract to get what he wanted.

The narcissism just lets him think it's all due to his inherent Randian superiority instead of inherited wealth.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

SquirrelyPSU posted:

I've had similar private musings.

At this point I think Donnie is so far out of his element that the likelihood of him pulling off a Reichstag Fire is pretty remote. While he is an endless pit of greed with a narcissist's demand for adulation I don't think he has the capability or political backing to pull it off.

To be clear we're still going to be cleaning up the damage from this administration for decades. Shits going to be broken that will be felt for a long goddamn time because none of this is normal and a healthy society would not have gotten here. I just don't worry about Donnie pulling off a coup and cancelling elections or something because he's just so loving stupid and short sighted.

I do have concerns for whoever follows him. The Pandora's Box is open now, blatant bigotry and openly rallying people around hurting the "other" without even an attempt at a fig leaf cover story are no longer disqualifying for the highest office in the land. Someone is going to take the Trumpian playbook and run with it.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Missionary Positron posted:

It never ceases to amaze me that the world's militaries actually manage to field units that aren't decimated on a daily basis by incompetence related mishaps.

Now I'm curious what percent of stuff like design, engineering, man power and overall resources goes into not letting your own military members kill themselves through incompetence instead of the enemy. For training exercises it sure felt North of 50%.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Zeroisanumber posted:

No CBO score? No problem!

This is just one more thing that I really hope hammers into Democrats how much they need to quit loving around looking for "bipartisanship" and "reaching across the aisle" to lunatics and spite driven assholes while ignoring their own base to get there.

Republicans will nuke the filibuster they used day in and day out for years, scream about deficit when it's Democrat anything then ignore it the next day and demand a CBO score on everything just to make good sound bites at your expense then ramrod their poo poo through and claim it's your fault if you try to get one.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Best Friends posted:

I have hope this one actually bites them. Organized black churches in the south have been arguably the most powerful force for social progress in modern history.

Then again imagine all the megachurches phone banking for Ted Cruz. Ugh.

Except for that nasty recorded history thing where America is really god drat good at saying, "No this only counts if you're the right sort of person"

I mean I want to say getting into the thick, dense weeds of picking out which churches are real and which churches don't count would royally gently caress over the lovely assholes that pass things like this, and I can see a definite path to how that would happen, but, well, 2017, darkest timeline, hope is a lie etc.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

facialimpediment posted:

Correction on earlier post: the ACLU isn't suing on that religious executive order because they basically determined there's nothing to sue about and the whole thing was a photo-op.

https://twitter.com/peterbakernyt/status/860248404932296705

Either way I would be thrilled for the Church of Satan to get on CNN and thank Trump for his effort at giving them a voice in politics. Put that poo poo in it's place.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Buca di Bepis posted:

My GF has diabetes and isn't rich, the Republican healthcare bill is basically telling her "gently caress you, please die horribly".

Her whole family, which are all impoverished and have all suffered from terrible health issues, voted for Trump

...but her emails!

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

psydude posted:

The senate intelligence committee has requested that all Trump aides hand over any and all records of communication with Russia. It'll give them the ability to subpoena anyone who doesn't comply, or who they think isn't complying.

Sure would be neat to get out of the darkest timeline for a bit, because while it sounds fiddly and lawyery and stupid, this is really dangerous territory for Trump. This is the stuff that ended up loving over Nixon. Investigating Whitewater was the start, but stonewalling the opposition, refusing to hand stuff over and firing special prosecutors is what got a whole bunch of people to turn on him.

So let's hope Trump is as incompetent and megalomaniacal as he appears to be and drags this out for years, crippling his own administration and miring the entire party in controversy for years.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Capn Beeb posted:

Opiates are a pretty serious problem.

Let's stop fighting them!!!

The war on drugs is a yuge success, the biggliest. Winningest even, tremendous. Wow.

How many days ago did he talk about fighting the opioid epidemic? Not even the beginning of this week I think it was. gently caress me sideways his supporters are just amazing at being delusional. There's got to be some kind of scientific value in studying people that can ignore reality THAT HARD.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

ded posted:

I can't believe Obama is STILL at the golf course! If Trump was president he would be at the white house GOVERNING!

Whatever, lazy Obongo just didn't want to do his job. Trump is a serious businessman who gets results and knows how to make a deal. He's working when he goes out on the golf course. Checkmate lib-tard.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

Looks like yet another case of airline employees following policy beyond any reasonable point, just because they have unquestioned authority in the situation. What possible downside is there to letting a toddler use a seat that the family already paid for anyway? Speaks to bad management as well, if airline employees expected their bosses to have their back if they colored outside the lines to accommodate customers these incidents would probably be less common. A lot of the reports after the United incident noted a culture of abiding by documented policy to a fault.

I heard a piece on NPR about how flight attendants and basically every employee of an airline that isn't the pilot have been getting pretty much turbo hosed as far as hiring, wages and too many hours since the 2008 crash. Apparently airlines were still in recovery mode from 9/11, then they got hit with that and to keep the lights on they had to cut everything they could to the bone for years. Well now gas prices have taken a nose dive, air travel is back up and profits are up but they haven't done poo poo to reverse what they did to their labor force because, "screw that, it works right now and why pay them anything more?"

So now the airlines are basically getting what they pay for with attendants that have morale somewhere between Taco Bell night shift employee and Wal-Mart shelf stocker. Accordingly, they give no fucks about treating passengers with the false smile that comes with customer-service or doing anything other than exactly what is required by the book to keep their job.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

tastefully arranged labia posted:

I'd actually be cool with a bunk setup like in Fifth Element. Give me enough headspace to read a book and I'll sleep the rest of the time.

I am so loving down for this. All I want to do is sleep on a flight anyway, put me in a small rear end box I don't care I'm asleep.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Zeroisanumber posted:

There's never been a serious challenger.

People usually don't line up to challenge the neighborhood special ed kid when he's running down the street with his helmet on and a loaded gun in his hand. Just happens to be a country this time.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
Man I'm going to be on the road for Yates' testimony. I'm actually sad about missing political testimony. Do you see what you've done to me Donnie?

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
Well then.

Following the Nixon playbook pretty closely aren't ya Donnie?

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Office Pig posted:

https://twitter.com/ddale8/status/862067378833809408

Oh hey did someone just say the word maverick? That's a fitting description for John McCain, right?

Do you have to trade in your spine and your balls to be a politician or something? loving hell.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

LingcodKilla posted:

So presidential.

Truly a man for the people.

*looks at Trump voters*

Aaaaaactually.....

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

orange juche posted:

It's a simple message but lmao it won't stick because trumpsters won't let it stick and noone opposing Trump on the republican side has enough guts to make it happen.

Lmao if Dems get control of the Senate and House in the midterms though, then there will be much blood.

The Trumpsters I keep around on facebook just to see the crazy are already buying the bullshit hook, line, and sinker. "All you liberal snowflakes were screaming for Comey to be fired and now he is and you're still not happy. You'll never give Trump a chance will you? Even when he makes a deal to prove he's everyone's president you still blame him for it! Just no pleasing you is there? "

I'm not even sure it's possible for Donnie to do anything that would make his base give him up. The hardcore redhat MAGA warriors worship him and see even this as a glorious achievement of an Adonis-like figure. Republican congress critters will do everything possible to skitter away from confronting him because if they do the shrieking white hot sphere of pure rage that is the rotten, beating heart of the party will call for their blood. Political survival is all they care about. I don't ever see salvation coming from that corner.

Even if Congress did decide to turn on him, unless it causes an out-and-out civil war within the camps of the GOP that shatters the entire party it might not be worth it. Realistically the only way to win was to never play the game. That option's gone right out the window and everyone is already at the table so now I find myself wondering if miring the administration in controversy and crippling everyone with scandals might be best long term? If they can wash their hands of the Trump stink and pretend they never meant it they'll go right back to what got them where they are now and the next person to whip out the Trumpian-authoritarian playbook may not be a hideously incompetent, dementia addled hate mango.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Hot Karl Marx posted:

https://twitter.com/bpolitics/status/862049845288341504

He really didn't do anything. It will be certified and everything. Case closed.
And all the MAGA warrior tea-hadists will internalize it as the truth because gently caress it what does reality mean? It's certified. Daddy Trump tells me so and who are you to argue with a certified letter?

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
They can impeach for basically anything they want. (Like a blowjob) The wording, "high crimes and misdemeanors", is vague enough that it is in essence a political process instead of a legal procedure. It is an open ended term that is generally interpreted as "you did something bad that you could only do because of your position in office"

This of course then relies on them wanting to do it and welp we're hosed.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

facialimpediment posted:

Here's explanation four to the Comey firing: I was gonna do it no matter what

https://twitter.com/NBCNightlyNews/status/862713274676072448

Holy jesus gently caress if this guy ever goes anywhere near any kind of sworn testimony he is going to be the most turbo-hosed person in the history of turbo-loving. He can't keep his own story straight for ten seconds without tripping on his own dick and making up some unsubstantiated bullshit.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Missionary Positron posted:

That seems, uh, kind of dumb. I can understand it from an emeregency perspective, i.e. potus/vp both die somehow and continuity of government needs to be secured, but wouldn't impeachment etc. be a textbook example of a scenario where new elections would also be wholly appropriate?

One way to explain it is that America was the beta testing of democracy as a form of government. Mistakes were made and lessons were learned. Once we're done dropping thousands of pounds of freedom on a country and we try our hand at nation building we go with forms of democracy better than ours. Ones that fix the bugs left over because "holy poo poo the electoral college what the gently caress?" and things like our current cluster gently caress of succession being merely a different flavor of bullshit instead of a solution.

The original programmers left in a way to update things to keep up with changes thay they knew would be necessary. Unfortunately with the raging dumpster fire that things have turned into if we give anyone the chance to fix those bugs they'll screw EVERYTHING up with the power it grants them so welp, we're hosed.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Does laughing up their sleeves make more sense in the original Russian?

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Acebuckeye13 posted:

Christ Almighty, HOW

Donnie hires the best people. Only the best. Great people. Believe me.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Two Finger posted:

hot drat this is awesome

We definitely need a phrase specific to this brand of fighting the enemy by punching yourself in the dick. I like this one.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

psydude posted:

They aren't gonna give them poo poo unless they're subpoenaed.

Pretty good way to call him on his bullshit though. Sure he's gonna flail around like a loving halfwit doing things only Donnie can think to do because that's what he does but, so what? Builds the narrative that he's a bumbling fool in over his head trying to bluff his way out of it.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

ded posted:

Having people run around in the city looking for college age people swearing to get them in trouble is some nazi poo poo.

Nazi, christian fundamentalist, potayto, potahto.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
What does an indictment even do? He can just say "lol no" and it's over. It has to be an impeachment first before anything like that can apply to the president unless I'm completely wrong in my understanding.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Genocide Tendency posted:

I'm missing something here. Why can't he be prosecuted until after impeachment? I thought they needed charges to start impeachment.

I am not a lawyer so there's probably fiddly legal stuff I'm getting wrong but my understanding is that it's "executive privilege". As a part of the separation of the branches of government the president is basically (kinda) immune to judicial rulings. Mostly. Sorta. It's a bit untested because, ya know, most people aren't bugfuck insane narcissistic megalomaniacs and they realize that placing the nation into constitutional crises by just saying "lol no" to everything a judge does is kind of a bad thing that will probably not work out to their favor.

Trump....does not.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Fatso's gonna blow a loving gasket when he sees this.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Waroduce posted:

you greatly overestimate how much your average citizen cares about politics. Most people don't know and don't care and have no idea what the implications are and just have a general oh thats not good feeling about Russia/Trump.

This is exactly right. My girlfriend was vehemently against Trump, passionately for Bernie and would show me facebook articles and share things and talk about stuff all the time. She didn't vote in primaries or the Presidential. Her friends are all upper-middle class/very well off women with a mix of married or independent career focused women. None of them voted. Not a single one. I'm extremely gun shy about discussing politics with anyone but occasionally we'll all do brunch or see each other out and about and I'll ask a very simple oh did you see X, or hear about Y and the answer is almost inevitably no from everyone.

Obviously anecdotal stories, small sample size, etc etc and you'd be totally right to tell me to blow it out my rear end, but man it never ceases to amaze me all these people just legitimately don't care, don't know why/if they should and are entirely unconcerned. But god drat you better believe they know what Kim wore in Paris last weekend playboy.

I had to explain why Trump firing Comey mattered for god sake.

I went to high school with a really smart kid that I'm still friends with. Had good grades, has a stable family, good paying job. Not at all a Cletus the slack jawed yokel type.

Last weekend was, I poo poo you not, a white board session at his house explaining the three co-equal branches of government and what they do to put the Comey thing into context. Like, the kinds of things that you had to understand before School House Rock "I'm just a bill" could even make sense.

One of the greatest weapons against America for a really, really long god drat time has been our own complacency. If the GOP could have kept the loving of the poor to a slow boil they'd be riding high and deep dicking the country with impunity but welp, now we've got this cluster gently caress headed towards a crisis point.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

orange juche posted:

This describes texas pretty well.

"ABSOLUTELY loving NOTHING" is so god drat right it hurts. I drove home from Fort Hood when I ETS'd and holy gently caress, seeing a tree was a notable event for the hour.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Casimir Radon posted:

4,400+ dead service members didn't mean anything to them 10 years ago so I don't know what it will take to set them off this time.

I dunno....they got to send their hopes and prayers out a lot for PR sound bites and took a crack at privatizing the VA, so I wouldn't say they think it meant nothing.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
Well yes but emails, and further Hillary Clinton bad Donnie Dumbfuck good.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
I'm more interested in the raging dumpster fire of hypocrisy. Her emails bad because they might have exposed classified information. Actually exposing classified information? gently caress you he's the president, it's not wrong when the president does it.

I mean not that it matters cause "loving 2017 lol nothing matters" but God drat....it's RIGHT THERE.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

MazelTovCocktail posted:

Okay I want to know the refrigerator story.

"internet of things" wifi enabled refrigerators combined with manufacturers not giving even one tenth of one percent of a flying gently caress about security until it's time to give a PR statement about their product being on the evening news.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
I wonder how much of this poo poo they can get to stick to the GOP as a whole when this is all over. Too many Republican Congress critters are terrified of their own Frankenstein's monster of a voting base so if reality manages to reassert itself at some point and Trump gets impeached it will be mostly Democrats and the bare minimum of Republicans. The rest will scream into the void about how hard they fought against it and how much violence the crazies should unleash for taking down their great orange god.

It really is going to be on the Dems to make it stick and welp not a whole lot of confidence there. I'm worried that the chemotherapy of a pig ignorant, dysfunctional, dementia brained dictator-wannabe exposing how bad poo poo CAN get will end up being ineffective at removing the various cancers we have in our political system.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Handsome Ralph posted:

gently caress Erdogan

https://twitter.com/TVietor08/status/864670320493330432

EDIT: EFB, but still. gently caress Erdogan.

He's quite publicly asking for Gulen' s extradition in preparation for Donnie's world tour so that's gonna be fun to watch.

Also fun will be knowing how fantastically confused Donnie's dementia is going to make him when he can't sleep in the same place every night.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

DoktorLoken posted:

https://twitter.com/propublica/status/864687602506629120

:lol::lol::lol:

loving hell, how many controversies and crisises can one administration have. Can someone make a comprehensive list from inauguration until today?

Phone posting so I don't have the link I use at home but there's a pretty good curated list I picked up on these forums. Think it's goon run too. "What the gently caress happened today?" Is the name of the page, google might find it.

• Locked thread