Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

Favre in 2006 was a pain in the rear end. Mike Sherman had let him do whatever he wanted for however many years. By the time Mike McCarthy was hired, Favre was demanding to skip training camp or else threatening to retire. I remember a game, I think in Seattle, when Favre and McCarthy were on the sidelines just screaming at each other in the rain. By that point, no one could tell Favre what to do, and McCarthy hates dumb mistakes.

Drafting Aaron Rodgers was a combination of luck/disbelief that he had fallen so far in the draft and wanting to light a fire under Favre or else move on. I'm pretty sure part of Rodgers having such an amazingly high QB rating and TD:INT ratio throughout his career was McCarthy drilling into him the importance of not doing dumb poo poo in direct response to Favre.

Everyone loves it when Favre did dumb poo poo and it worked out. But then, he also has the record for the most interceptions thrown in the playoffs, and the most interceptions thrown in a single playoff game.

I doubt that 2006-2008 Aaron Rodgers was necessarily *better* than Favre in practice or whatever, but I think it's a sure bet that he was trying harder and responding more to coaching.

EDIT: Also, Favre's painkiller was vicodin, and as pointed out, he went into rehab for that in the offseason before their Super Bowl winning season, so I don't think that had anything to do with his last few years in GB.

Rod Hoofhearted fucked around with this message at 09:45 on May 2, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

Sataere posted:

1) The idea that Glennon was somehow misled is false. Two reasons. First, his contract is designed in such a way as to make it do they can cut him after a year.

When people bring this up, I have to ask, are we sure that the athletes understand the finer points about their contracts? Is it possible that Glennon thinks he has a 3 year contract with the Bears and therefore will be with the Bears for 3 years?

Sure, we'd all like to believe his agent, who certainly does understand this, would fill him in on poo poo like this, but are we really sure this is happening?

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

Dexo posted:

You would have to be dumb as poo poo. Like really really dumb, hell all of the articles about the signing and almost everything written about Glennon has been about how his deal is structured so he can be fired into the sun after this year.

Not trying to be contrary, but do the athletes really sit around reading articles about their contracts? I'm just thinking of that time Donovan McNabb said he didn't know games could end in a tie.

As fans, we tend to voraciously consume minutia about rules, draft theory, contracts, etc., and sometimes someone says or does something that makes us realize that the players/coaches/scouts, etc. don't think about it in quite the level of detail as some of us assume they do.

It's easy to imagine an athlete who fills his life with a general fitness routine, a practice routine specific to his sport, time with friends/family, maybe a hobby or two like playing video games or spear hunting wild boar or whatever, and he thinks all that contract stuff is what he pays his agent for and therefore doesn't pay attention to any of it. So in his mind, his agent got him a 3 year contract worth X-million dollars, so he has a contract for 3 years worth X-million dollars.

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

Jay Cutler going into broadcasting makes me laugh. Tony Romo makes sense, he has an affable type of charm, and there's dumb little stories of him doing good things like helping random people with flat tires on the freeway and taking homeless people to a movie theater or whatever that was.

Jay Cutler has anti-charisma. People look at his face and hate him. The only stories about Jay Cutler outside of football is of him being a dick, like pissing at a urinal while yelling "Don't care!" at a Vanderbilt fan. It may not be fair, but it is what it is.

Also, Texans are dumb for not signing him (srsly, they just needed anyone-but-Brock Osweiller to possibly win the AFC Championship last year), but the Bears are dumber for cutting him to pay Mike loving Glennon $6 million more to use him as a stopgap for a year before handing the franchise over to Turbisky. It's a loving miracle that Mike "The Bean Pole" Glennon's lanky rear end hasn't already been broken in half yet, and it wouldn't surprise me one bit if it finally happens to him within the first 3 games of the regular season, because Bears.

• Locked thread