Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling
1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp
It is worth noting that the majority of the starting quarterbacks in the league were drafted in the first round, and nearly half of them were top-ten picks. There's definitely a lot of value to picking early, and I can't fault the Chiefs for trading up if they think there's a real shot of developing Mahone into a long-term starter, where the loss of a handful of draftpicks can be more easily swallowed over the long term.

:lol: bears though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling
1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp
For the record, here's where each of last year's starting QBs was taken:

Top ten picks: Caron Palmer, Eli Manning, Philip Rivers, Alex Smith, Marcus Mariota, Matt Stafford, Ryan Tannehill, Matt Ryan, Sam Bradford, Cam Newton, Andrew Luck, Blake Bortles, Jameis Winston, Jared Goff, Carson Wentz

Other First Round Picks: Aaron Rodgers, Joe Flacco, Ben Roethlisberger, Jay Cutler

Second Round: Derek Carr, Andy Dalton, Colin Kaepernick, Drew Brees

Third Round: Russel Wilson, Cody Kessler

Fourth Round: Dak Prescott, Kirk Cousins

Sixth Round: Tom Brady, Trevor Siemian

7th Round: Ryan Fitzpatrick

So yeah, it's pretty apparent that after the first round, talent drops off really quickly. You can try and find a diamond in the rough, but chances are the next big generational talent is gonna be picked in the first, not the third.

Acebuckeye13 fucked around with this message at 02:47 on May 2, 2017

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp

Intruder posted:

Why do you have Brees listed as a first

Because the loving Wikipedia list I was using to sort them is garbage :argh: (It also lists Matt Cassel as the Titan's starting QB :lol:)

evilweasel posted:

Looking at current starting QBs isn't a good way to do it. You want to look at the picks, and evaluate what percent of them worked out.

You're definitely not wrong-a huge number of picks don't work out for one reason or another. I just thought it was interesting that, of the quarterbacks starting today, the majority were selected in the first round (Though the fact that many of them have been in the league for a while by this point probably skews the numbers a bit)

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp
Lions picked up Eric Ebron's 5th year option :toot:

Definitely glad they did, he's been disappointing as a top ten pick but as a player he's not bad. (granted I'm not sure if he's eight million dollars worth of not bad, but for the moment I'll take what I can get)

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp
Trubs could turn out to be the next Peyton Manning and lead Chicago to the promised land and that still wouldn't change the fact the Bears gave up multiple draft picks for literally no reason

Like, if I sold you a car for 10 grand when you knew there was a 95% chance I'd settle for 8k, it doesn't matter how nice the car was, you still spent 2k more than you had to. That's the Bears right now ::iiaca:

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

Calvin Johnson is the best WR ever.

God I miss him so much

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp

:same:

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp

Dexo posted:

I've been to Green Bay.

That study is bullshit.

It's actually true. If the Packers stopped winning, the entire region would die within months of heart disease.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp

Intruder posted:

Hey there "never lost a Superbowl" friends

:smith:

:smith::hf::smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp
Stafford ranked at 18 because of "extremely sloppy play and decision making"? Has this guy actually watched a Lions game in the past four years?

• Locked thread