Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!

TheChirurgeon posted:

But either way, I think it's bad to spend a bunch of picks to get your QB regardless of where you are in the process. It leaves you hamstrung when you try to build around him, even if your team wasn't in a bad spot before. Suddenly you're missing out on the ability to add 3-6 of college football's most promising prospects to your team at bargain rates. I agree with you that the team should build a good place for the QB first, but it's also situational--who's available when you have a chance and what you have to give up. I generally think you're better off putting a slightly worse prospect on a strong team than to put a better prospect on a worse team (emphasis: slightly).

If a team doesn't have a franchise QB and they have the opportunity to gamble on one, they absolutely should trade up. A good quarterback will be on that team for nearly two decades. There's plenty of time to build a team around them. Because of their unique value and longevity, quarterbacks are the only position where a big trade up is justified.

With that said, there are clearly levels of appropriateness. What Chicago pulled was just awful because:

TheChirurgeon posted:

the funny thing is that even if Trubisky is good, it will still have been a bad, dumb idiot move because the alternative to making the trade to get Trubisky was not making the trade and still getting Trubisky

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!

SHOAH NUFF posted:

I feel the same way about the Mahomes trade up. Giving up 2 firsts is crazy and dumb, but if Reid/Dorsey love him that much maybe see what happens. it's just sports and entertainment at the end of the day and Mahomes will certainly be more entertaining than our current QB

Yeah. Mahomes seems like a risky prospect but if anybody can develop a QB it's Reid.

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!

TheChirurgeon posted:

The problem is that history doesn't validate this--teams that trade up to get a QB haven't been successful historically.

And even if your argument was "Trubisky might not have been there," there were other QB options and it's not like Trubisky was the highest-rated QB prospect in the draft.

What? I stated that Chicago trading up for Trubisky is dumb.

But trading up for QB's is absolutely the right thing to do. The problem is it has to be for a decent prospect instead of just drafting whatever QB happens to be there. We live in a world where Tebow went in the first. Teams get greedy with any quarterback prospect.

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!
I still can't believe Tebow went in the first.

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!

Shangri-Law School posted:

The Lions crushed their spirits so thoroughly that we never had to see Barry Sanders, Packer, or Calvin Johnson, Patriot. Silver linings and all.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xNdpxWNAe1Q

Daddy likes

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!
Calvin Johnson is the best WR ever.

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!

Acebuckeye13 posted:

God I miss him so much

It was especially dumb because unless you were in the NFC North you basically only Calvin Johnson at Thanksgiving.

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!
Being skeptical of Cable is wise, but if Pocic is even "bad" as a rookie it is still an improvement over "terrible".

Plus their first round RT is likely to see some improvement.

They added several new players whether fresh young kids or bargain bin FA, but they added enough players that it seems unlikely to be worse than last year's absolute tire fire.

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!
Dolphins are due. Print the shirts imo

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!

Durandal1707 posted:

I feel like you can say this about pretty much any team the Chargers have had since 2006 though.

FWIW as a Bolts fan: 8-8 is probably their most realistic ceiling. I do think they're be a less hot and cold offense this year by virtue of drafting Lamp and Feeney; the interior of the Chargers o-line was trash last year except for Slauson and one of those guys starting is a big improvement over either Fluker or Franklin. M. Williams is the kind of big, physical WR that does well with Rivers and it gives them a viable replacement for Keenan Allen if he can't stay healthy (he won't), and overall the future at both WR and TE is pretty exciting. I do also think switching to a 4-3 scheme will massively benefit the personnel they have on the roster.

Otoh, they're not as deep at CB and d-line as they appear on paper (Verrett will always miss time from injuries. Bosa's a legitimate stud but Ingram and Attaochu are so hot and cold, it's hard saying what those two will give you as pass rushers), and their safeties are VERY unproven aside for Addae, who's not a good player. I think they'll be an exciting team to watch for this coming season, but it's really hard for me to see them as a playoff squad right now.

The Chargers are a weird team to predict because of the injuries and age extremes. If they didn't have to compete with Oakland and KC I think a wildcard wouldn't be out of the question.

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!
idgi

But I hope Tom Brady stops being good for the NE Patriots

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!
The offense has not been great for the Seattle, and for sure that would get annoying for a legendary defense, but it seems weird to blame it on Wilson. The Seahawks spend all of their non-qb salary cap on the defense, so of course it's going to be better than the offense. And Wilson isn't perfect, but the many 3-and-outs aren't because of him, but because of SeahawksOL.gif

OTOH I love angry and crazy Sherman so it's all good.

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!

SKULL.GIF posted:

I imagine elite defensive players are good at evaluating exactly which offensive players are the weak links.

Clearly not the case in this situation. Wilson = very good, OL = very bad.

Outside of Wilson and I guess Jimmy Graham, the offense is a bunch of JAG's.

This sounds like poor reporting.

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!

Bad Moon posted:

I don't know how anybody could look at the Seattle offense and go "Yeah Wilson is the cause of this poo poo show"

Yeah, this.

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!

Bad Moon posted:

I like Russell because he is my QB and is good at slinging the rock and running around like a crazy man and that infuriates other fans as he woooop wooop wooops away like Zoidberg

yeee

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!
Chiefs are going to be dope this year.

• Locked thread