Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

I really recommend reading this week's MMQB. Most of you dislike King (for justified reasons) but he's at his best when he's doing actual journalism instead of opinion pieces.

Very revelatory to see that the 49ers draft team really doesn't know any better than our random goons. A lot of the things they were saying in there I'd seen said by goons in the draft threads over the weekend. They even believe in the stupid superstitious bullshit about Bill Walsh and Joe Montana paralleling this year's draft!!!

I mean look at this:

Is this the board of a team of highly intelligent and competent football geniuses who know exactly what they're doing?

I don't think this is limited to just the 49ers. I think this poo poo is way more common throughout the NFL than most of us think and that for the most part they're just pretending they know what they're doing.

quote:

“It was dead,” Lynch said. “No chance. I wasn’t interested. But I knew how Kyle [Shanahan] felt, so I figured I should at least talk to [Williams]. When I got in, I called him. When I got him on the phone, I said to him, ‘Joe, to be honest, I was done with you.’”

quote:

After a long time on the phone, Lynch had a radical change of mind.

“Screw it,” he said to himself Saturday morning. “I’m going to try to jump up and get this guy.”

quote:

“Sheer willpower,” Williams said. “I was running the ball for my sister, I was catching the ball for my sister.”

The laminated 49er ethos sheet didn’t account for Joe Williams. Lynch won’t know for years, most likely, if he made the right call on Williams or any of these players.

“What do you think Bill Walsh would say about your draft?” I wondered.

“I think he’d be incredibly proud,” Lynch said. “But the one thing I’ve learned through this process is there’s no perfect player.”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

The source for this story being false is... Ryan Pace. I really doubt that, true or not, Ryan Pace would ever admit that Fox was out of the loop, especially with the blatantly negative reaction over that story.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Timby posted:

To be fair, didn't Rodgers turn out to be, like, the first Jeff Tedford quarterback who didn't suck out loud in the NFL?

quote:

Fresno State
Trent Dilfer 6th overall 1994, Tampa Bay Buccaneers
David Carr 1st overall 2002, Houston Texans

Oregon
Akili Smith 3rd overall 1999, Cincinnati Bengals
Joey Harrington 3rd overall 2002, Detroit Lions

California
Kyle Boller 19th overall 2003, Baltimore Ravens
Aaron Rodgers 24th overall 2005, Green Bay Packers

Tedford also coached Billy Volek, a backup quarterback for the San Diego Chargers, and A. J. Feeley, a backup quarterback for the St. Louis Rams.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

The Bears drafted this guy:

https://i.imgur.com/aFT0yT4.gifv

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

You suddenly realize that Donovan McNabb, Tom Brady, and Daunte Culpepper are all the same age.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Vince Lombardi, Redskins.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Fenrir posted:

Sterling Sharpe was my favorite player as a teenager. He would have been a first ballot hall of fame WR if he hadn't broken his loving neck :smith:

The Packers have a real loving problem with their players getting neck injuries and I'm surprised the administration hasn't addressed it yet. Sharpe, Collins, Finley, like half a dozen backups...

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

BlindSite posted:

Lost the unlosable, everyone in the south wants them to die, has no redeeming qualities.

Checks out.

Extremely boring and tedious team but everyone was like "They've got this in the bag!"

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

The Bears had a great run of likable quarterbacks. Grossman, Orton, Cutler...

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

quote:

"It's the same old Jay," Charles Woodson told ESPN's Rachel Nichols after the game. "We just need to be in position. Jay will throw us the ball."

Jay threw them the ball. He held the ball in an 11-of-27 performance. In a sarcastic answer to a monumentally stupid question after the game, Cutler was asked if he envisioned a night this bad against the Packers.

"Yeah, I dream of throwing four picks and getting sacked seven times," he said.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Hunt11 posted:

WhaT is causing my confusion is the first T.

Look at the first word again.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

losing makes you fat, support the Packers/Patriots

quote:

“One day after a defeat, Americans eat 16 percent more saturated fat, and 10 percent more calories. But on the day after a victory of their favorite team, then it’s the opposite. They eat more healthily. They eat 9 percent less saturated fat, and 5 percent fewer calories. There was no effect in cities without a team or with a team that didn’t play.”

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

the only unappetizing part of that is the bun which looks like it's the sort of chewy and tough flavorless buns that you get for cheap

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Hot Diggity! posted:

Also Seahawks DT Jarran Reed is under investigation for domestic violence.

the Seahawks sure have a lot of wifebeaters on the team

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Mr. Nice! posted:

Maybe Rodgers is a volcel and you shouldn't project your homophobia onto him.

This reminded me of this amazing photograph

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

a neat cape posted:

If you've already failed multiple drug tests maybe don't put yourself in a position to fail more drug tests like a moron idk

Flikken posted:

It does feel that way. I would like to remind everyone that his failed tests were codeine in his cough medicine, pot at such a low level that if they had reversed the order of the samples he would have passed and taking a drink on a plane after his season ended but not the league year.

it's not like he's hitting a dozen blunts a day

the Josh Gordon situation is really loving dumb and weed being banned is double dumb

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

http://mmqb.si.com/mmqb/2017/05/08/nick-buoniconti-dolphins-cognitive-decline-nfl-head-trauma-concussions

quote:

Buoniconti doesn’t explain that he can’t figure out how to knot a tie or towel his back. He doesn’t speak of his increasingly useless left hand, the increasingly frequent trips to the emergency room or how, just a few days earlier at his home on Long Island, he hurtled backward down a staircase and sprayed blood all over the hardwood, screaming afterward at Lynn, “I should just kill myself! It doesn’t matter!” He doesn’t mention the three staples subsequently crimped into his scalp, doesn’t explain that just yesterday—in a fit of unexplainable pique, and against his own doctor’s orders—he had another physician come to his hotel room and yank those staples out.

quote:

It’s so random. Hendricks has only minor memory lapses. Some of Buoniconti’s Dolphins teammates, meanwhile, are crumbling. Quarterback Earl Morrall, the supersub so key to the Perfect Season, died at 79, in 2014, with Stage 4 CTE. Running back Jim Kiick, 70, lived in squalor until he was placed in an assisted living facility last summer with dementia/early onset Alzheimer’s. Bill Stanfill, a defensive end who long suffered from dementia, died in November at 69. His brain and spine were sent to the CTE center at Boston University, where the disease has been found in 96% of players’ brains studied. (Granted, that’s 96% of a group whose medical or playing history already suggests some sort of brain disease.)

quote:

The family liked the story, but I didn’t speak to Nick again. Then, last October, he left a phone message. Nick, his words slightly halting, asked me to call him back and recited his number. “Okay,” he said. “Goodbye.”

Then came a long pause. You could hear him turn away from the phone. Finally Buoniconti asked, “How do you hang up, Lynn?”

Her voice, quavering, rose in disbelief. “ ‘How do you hang up?’ ” Lynn called from the background.

“Yeah.”

Then the line went dead.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Get used to seeing this posted in GDTs, guys.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Amy Pole Her posted:

You literally don't watch football because it's such a blood sport yet you're ranking QBs eh?

dang you're really stung over Tannehill's position

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Diqnol posted:

It's somewhat refreshing to see that of the qb tier arguments this offseason it is on about barely entrenched starters instead of the very top of the group.

It's because the QBs at the top are old enough that most of them will retire within the next three seasons so 1. their body of work is established and arguments won't change history 2. there's no point trying to puff up their future since there isn't one

also 3. there's been a huge influx of young quarterbacks into the league starting positions in the past four or so years

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

I have nothing else to do today and I'm tired of reading about the Trump trainwreck. No particular sorting within groups. Feel free to skip this post.

---

The best of the best, these players can almost singlehandedly deliver a championship:
Brady, Rodgers, Brees

Very good quarterbacks who can pave the path to a Super Bowl but need a solid team to put it over the top:
Ryan, Newton, Wilson, Rivers

Quality, franchise quarterbacks who are responsible for far more wins than for losses, even in the playoffs, and will be part of their team's history and legacy:
Luck, Carr, Flacco, Roethlisberger, Stafford, Cousins

The next group are all pretty much equally good and any differences are nitpicks at best as of right now. They're competent enough to play quarterback well in the NFL and are assets to their team, but they won't be able to save a team's season or to push their teams forward through the playoff wall. Their effectiveness is very dependent on their coaching and teammates.

There are three distinct subgroups: players who are trending upwards every season and have a future; players who either have hit their ceiling or show few signs of large improvement in the future; and players who are declining either due to age or due to being figured out by the league. A bunch of QBs from this group will level up or level down come this autumn.

C+: Mariota, Prescott, Winston
C: Tannehill, Alex Smith, Dalton, Wentz
C-: Eli Manning, Palmer, Bradford, Taylor, Bortles

Anyone below this level are stopgaps at best and are always in threat of being replaced by a better player.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Grittybeard posted:

This seems at the same time very kind to Bortles and also selling him short.

He shouldn't be considered as high as he is is in your rankings in my opinion, but there is a small possibility that he might improve and figure things out if he ever got actual good coaching. So he shouldn't be in the same tier as the Carson Palmer's of the world who are at the rear end end of their career I guess.

Bortles has been as good as Eli Manning over the past two seasons and I honestly think that right now Bortles would perform as well as the other quarterbacks in that 'C' tier if he was put onto a given team and had to start a game for them. Over time? It's looking like he's not receiving the necessary coaching and it's also seeming like defenses are getting better at shutting down his tendencies.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Elisha
code:
Year    G   GS  Cmp Att Pct   Yds     Avg TD  Int Rtg
2015    16  16  387 618 62.6  4,436   7.2 35  14  93.6
2016    16  16  377 598 63.0  4,027   6.7 26  16  86.0
Blake
code:
Year    GP  GS  Cmp Att Pct    Yds     Avg TD  Int Rtg 
2015    16  16  355 606 58.6   4,428   7.3 35  18  88.2
2016    16  16  368 625 58.9   3,905   6.2 23  16  78.8
As another point of comparison, here's Carson Palmer:
code:
Year    G   GS  Cmp Att Pct   Yds     Avg TD  Int Rtg
2015    16  16  342 537 63.7  4,671   8.7 35  11  104.6
2016    15  15  364 597 61.0  4,233   7.1 26  14  87.2

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

MY NIGGA D-LINK posted:

It's funny to me that some of you think that Ben isn't tier 2 who sometimes flirts with tier 1. He's clearly not Brady or Rodgers, but theres's been like 3, maybe 4 guys in the last 2 decades who have the physical tools to make the pass he made to win 43

I agree, actually. For most of his career he's been what Cam Newton is right now for the Panthers, albeit with much better passing effectiveness and tools. He's getting old and I think the four I placed above him are clearly better than him right-now.

If we were making legacy rankings that took their bodies of work in account then I think it would look very different.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

2015/16 Bort would probably be way better on most other teams. Imagine him with three years of Reid coaching on the Chiefs.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Eifert Posting posted:

Skull I think the offense around Bort is actually kind of enviable. Their line is bad but the skill positions are pretty nuts. I will say one thing though, I had thought he had thrown about ten more picks than he did.

More nuts than the Raiders, Chiefs, or Steelers?

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

just once in my life I want to see a quarterback tackle the person who picked them off and then beat the poo poo out of them

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

New helmets this season: https://www.inc.com/kevin-j-ryan/25-nfl-teams-will-wear-soft-vicis-helmet.html

quote:

Seattle-based startup Vicis has been working since 2013 on a new type of football helmet that's designed to yield on contact. The result is a thud sound, instead of the violent crack players and fans are used to hearing. The softer impact means less trauma to the head, and the theory is that this will reduce the likelihood of brain injuries or concussions.

quote:

Last week, the NFL released the results of its annual lab tests that study which helmets best reduce the severity of impact to the head. Of the 33 helmets the NFL tested, the Zero1 finished first--beating out 23 helmets from Riddell and Schutt Sports, two companies that currently account for a combined 90 percent of all football helmet sales.

Results: https://www.playsmartplaysafe.com/resource/helmet-laboratory-testing-performance-results/

edit: linked for huge, but the difference is quite visible

SKULL.GIF fucked around with this message at 20:46 on May 14, 2017

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Raku posted:

cmonnnn cutler/gruden!

Give me a three-way of Cutler/Gruden with Rex as sideline reporter

Oh yes

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

"Rebuilding" by completely tanking 2+ seasons never really works out. The way the Broncos and Cardinals (to name a couple recent examples) did it is way better, but obviously not attainable for most teams.

Also it's much easier to attract talent if the team seems at least somewhat competitive rather than going 2-14.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

https://twitter.com/fieldyates/status/864112854873624576

Where's my $55k?

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

I wonder if it'd be healthier for the NFL and its players to implement weight maximums.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Did some digging around and it looks like this is it: http://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2000/08/21/the-hardest-test

quote:

Such speedy, boozy days now seem almost innocent; and they were innocent in that Coppi’s use of la bomba didn’t contravene cycling regulations of the day—amphetamines were declared illegal only in the mid-sixties. The quantum leap came when drugs designed to stimulate were replaced—or, in real terms, joined—by drugs designed to fortify, notably growth hormones and EPO (erythropoietin), the synthetic version of a naturally occurring hormone which is often prescribed for dialysis and chemotherapy patients. Instead of helping suppress pain and giving you the illusion that you were stronger than you actually were, the new drugs really did make you stronger. In addition, Maso explained, “There are no bad days, as with amphetamines.” From the early to the mid-nineties, EPO became the drug of choice among many professional cyclists. Its function is to raise the red-blood-cell count, which sends more oxygen to the tissues, thus increasing your endurance and your powers of recovery. If there are two riders of equal ability, the one taking EPO will beat the one who remains clean; it is as simple as that. EPO was banned in 1990, even though its actual presence could not be proved; only its suspicious consequences were detectable.

There is a downside, of course. Bike riders, like other top athletes, are so fit that their heart rate is preternaturally low; EPO thickens the blood, making it harder to pump around the body, and also more liable to clot. In the early days of EPO, there were a number of mysterious deaths—usually from a heart attack, usually in the middle of the night—of otherwise healthy cyclists. The assumption was that their heart rate had dropped during sleep and became simply insufficient to pump the blood. To counter this, EPO takers were said to get up in the middle of the night to exercise. Some also used a kind of thoracic alarm clock, which woke them when their heart rate dropped too low.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

No. They NFL would do something stupid like weigh them on game day or 24 hours before and you'd have super dehydrated players dying after UFC style weight cuts.

Which are still super dangerous because only a couple of guys know how to do it properly.

Doing last-minute cutting would have an impact on your game performance though, wouldn't it?

And in this scenario you'd have weekly weigh-ins or something, and it would at least prevent players from ballooning up to 350+ and/or needing to eat every two hours to maintain.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

https://twitter.com/andy_benoit/status/864184612632883200

:laugh:

https://twitter.com/Andy_Benoit/status/864206216091713536

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Eli Wiggum posted:

Gimmick or not, his final 15-paragraph post in TFF was hella dumb

What was this? I missed it.

MY NIGGA D-LINK posted:

Gimmicks don't write manifestos imo. Can you imagine LWB or AAC doing similar?

No, but I remember Lloyd Christmas.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

What's weird is Parm used to be a relatively normal poster but then some neurons got knocked loose and he went nuts.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Spoeank posted:

I'm also the tacit admission that he doesn't know how to evaluate rookie QBs

well yeah

how can you evaluate a rookie on their NFL play when they haven't actually played in the NFL?

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

https://www.theplayerstribune.com/jermichael-finley-packers-injury-retirement/

Jermichael Finley talks about his career-ending injury and his concussions, and the neurotherapy he received afterwards to treat symptoms of concussed brain. A few quotes:

quote:

Four weeks earlier, in Cincinnati, I had suffered a concussion against the Bengals. I was running a route up the seam and when I stretched out for the ball, a safety came down and popped me while another guy rolled up over me from behind. I took a knee to my head, then my head hit the ground.

When I stood up, my body felt like it was on fire and everything looked blurry, like I was underwater. I looked to our sideline, and all I could see was my teammates’ yellow pants. No feet, no jerseys, no heads. Just bright yellow pants. It was like everybody had been decapitated. I tried to walk towards them, but I only made it a few steps before I went back to the ground. The trainers came out and helped me off the field, took me into the locker room, diagnosed me with a concussion and then took my helmet away. I was done for the day.

quote:

So that’s what I thought had happened. It’s not like the guy blew me up or anything. It wasn’t a huge collision. I just saw number 39 coming and put my head down to protect my knees, and he just caught me on the crown of my helmet.

Immediately after the hit, I was conscious, but I let go of the ball because my hands stopped working. I lay on the ground because my legs went numb.

The official diagnosis was a spinal cord contusion. The hit shocked my spine and left me with a two-centimeter bruise on my spinal cord. A couple of weeks later, I had surgery to fuse together the C-3 and C-4 vertebrae in my neck, and after about six months of rehab, I was cleared by my doctor to resume football activities.

quote:

I had already seen my personality start to change after the neck injury, but after I officially retired, it got even worse. I would wake up every morning grumpy and agitated. I became really quiet. Sometimes Courtney would try to talk to me and I would just get irritated. Every now and then I’d snap at her, but most of the time I would just walk away or take a long drive. I wasn’t angry, I was just … awkward. Even with people around town. It was like I forgot how to talk to people.

Courtney would ask, “What’s going on with you?” And I would just walk away. Mostly because I didn’t have an answer. I had no idea, no reason, no why.

quote:

That hit me pretty hard. I don’t know why, but I started thinking about some of the former NFL players I had heard about who were really hurting — you know, the older guys — and I wondered if the stuff I was going through was just the beginning. I wondered if it was going to get worse over time, like it probably did for them. The mood swings. The memory loss. That wasn’t the way I wanted to live, and that wasn’t how I wanted my three boys to see me.

Then I thought about the former players who had committed suicide.

quote:

And I honestly believe that if it weren’t for my wife and my kids, I never would have gotten any kind of help, and 10 years from now, I might have ended up one of those former players who put a bullet in his chest.

Watching that hit still makes me angry, it's just such an incredibly dirty hit. There's no reason whatsoever to be leading with your helmet like that on a tackle, much less aiming for someone's head.

• Locked thread