Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Will Jon Jones ever fight in the UFC again?
This poll is closed.
Yes 59 56.73%
No 45 43.27%
Total: 104 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

FishBowlRobot posted:

Which fights has Stipe really used his wrestling other than the Hunt fight? Which I've tried to block from my memory.

He used a Cain esque clinch and dirty boxing in the jds fight to a lot of success.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

If you dont love Bisping as champ and how he got there you're a bad mma fan

Hth.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

This is so good for so many reasons.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Milling refers to both feinting and the army tradition of having guys beat the gently caress out of each other to encourage agreession and team building.

Whatever that chick was doing was retarded.

Nick and Nate both use old timey boxing stuff in their styles and more than a few coaches including Bas and Parillo have referenced pulling out bare knuckle boxing books for some inspiration for mma use. More to do with covers and angles for punches because without the larger gloves a fighters defensive posture is a little more compromised with standard modering boxing covers.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Aww, watching another pettis get beat up would have been cool.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Romero is gonna get injured and Bobby knuckles will be the first Australian ufc champ.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

TJ isn't that much bigger than DJ and the dude is pretty yolked. I imagine if he dropped some of that muscle he could make the weight quite easily. loving cool as hell fight tbh. If it comes off I'd be hype as hell.

I think in the next 5 years or so we'll see more weight classes and titles and see a bunch of different fights put on. Having a 195 and a 165 could lead to some cool stuff. One of my mates who competes in One FC was talking about how their weight classes and cutting works and he says there has been talk of putting in some more classes to build super fights.

Could lead to stuff like Nate at 165 against Wonderboy or whatever.

I know the whole "dilution" aspect would give some people some pause, but it would help stop the interim issue and build some super fights.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

big money big clit posted:

I think Romero is more resilient than given credit for. He was dead against Kennedy at the end of the second round and required only minor cheating to KO him in the next round. Bisping will be in danger the whole time.

Romero is weird in that way hes been dead like 3 or 4 times and still managed to murder someone.

Bisping for all the talk of his chin has only ever lost by knock out twice. Hes extremely resilient Frankie Edgar style.

I can definitely see Romero gassed and Bisping winning with Okami style baby shots I can also see Bisping sent trying to put his soul back in his body schaub style.

I still hope Romero has to drop out and Whittaker gets a shot.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

I think Lorenz Larkin was probably a year or two shy of being the best fighter in the divison and the ufc were stupid for letting him go.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

I was always just a fuckin mook but I hated wearing headgear sparring and stopped altogether pretty quickly. I really don't like the idea of it because I Don't think it makes anything safer at all in combat sports. Harm reduction is fine, but I don't think it actually serves that purpose.

Opal posted:

What I've heard is the headgear is bad in the same way that thicker gloves are bad for you, in the sense that both allow you to take far more blows to the head than you normally would and over time it adds up. Makes sense to me.

Rogan does have a hard-on for complaining about MMA gloves in general though. So far I don't think anybody's discovered a better alternative.

Rogans a weird purist who wants to see no time limits on rounds again during a fight on a basketball sized arena with no gloves and minimal rules. He goes deep into that sort of stuff at times, but I think the UFC and other MMA competitions gives us the best ruleset to maintain a basic level of safety while forcing a relatively "fair" outcome in fights.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Grem posted:

Wait what the hell is that Pena story?

Shortly after winning TUF Juliana Pena shredded her knee.

At the time the story went she called Dana in tears with a story about her going to her gym in one of her TUF shirts and some dude there jumping on her back to attack her while she was warming up. Saying something about being an ultimate fighter.

What actually happened I think turned out to be a pretty standard roll up in training that could happen to anyone and if anything she was going hard and got hurt.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Magana isnt wrong, the resemblance is uncanny.
Cyborg wasnt wrong to punch her
Police weren't wrong to arrest her
Magana isnt wrong to press charges

Hth

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Work Friend Keven posted:

They were all wrong, especially posting "hth".

Nah, the only thing wrong in your posting.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Marching Powder posted:

with brutal owns like this

it becomes clear that magana became the face of everyone who ever said something mean to her online.

willie dee's bicycle thief escaped a harsh punishment

In joe rogans defense he was high as gently caress and it was hilarious.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Classic fencing response itt.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

FishBowlRobot posted:

Lol, at the Fighter Retreat Reebok gave out 50% off coupons to the fighters. They're just loving with them at this point right?

Hahaha holy poo poo that is so loving tone deaf.

Rory made 400k in Bellator this weekend.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Tj doesn't have huge power because of how he moves but he does tend to throw a really hard one when he settles into his strikes a bit more.

He wont have that luxury against DJ because he angles so well in his own right.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

DeimosRising posted:

A month where they are surrounded by cameras and producers and have to stay relatively near weight, no less. Cornering and keeping your guys' mentality sharp is all you can possibly contribute

Thats why Chael was the best coach. Trained with his guys so he knew how they were feeling and spent a lot of time talking to them about the mental aspect of fighting.

Then in the fight cornering them to steal rounds and coast where required.

• Locked thread