Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Will Jon Jones ever fight in the UFC again?
This poll is closed.
Yes 59 56.73%
No 45 43.27%
Total: 104 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011

CarlCX posted:

The only weakness Joanna's shown is a tendency to deviate from her gameplan and lose focus when people put her under heavy pressure in the pocket--it's where KK hurt her, where Gadelha got her down and controlled her, and while Andrade barely accomplished anything, the few good punches she had came from Joanna losing her distance control, getting brawly and getting clipped. Rose is good at unrelenting pressure and forcing a fight into the clinch, so if she has a path to victory I'd say that's it--trying to cut Joanna's movement off, get in the pocket and either brawl with her or try to drag her to the ground.

But that is much easier said than done and Joanna in all likelihood cuts her up all fight.

andrade hit her approx 5-10 times and joannas face looked like a bunch of aliens were going to hatch and burst out of it. technique can be learned

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011
hopefully neither will edgar .. no offense to him since hes a nice fighter. but he wont win and he already fought him twice

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011
it makes no difference to me what goes on in peoples real lives here .. everyone has their struggles, right? .. but if youre going to inflict yourself on a public forum, it seems unreasonable to QQ if you dont get the type of reaction you were hoping for

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011

cis autodrag posted:

if one of the expert wrestlers wants to correct me, please do, but basically it's ben askren's style of wrestling. his game is a lot more oriented around inducing scrambles and keeping the match constantly off balance and he calls his style funk wrestling. the funk is just sort of the overall philosophy about how he approaches a match.

this video covers the funk roll, which is one of ben's signature moves: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wO1kS8wmP2Y

as you can see, it starts with the beginning of a sprawl, but then rather than following through with just driving the opponent's head down and escaping, the wrestler voluntarily flips onto their back to get control the opponent's leg and sneak through to get behind their opponent, an advantageous position. you're basically doing a riskier move when you don't need to to both keep your opponent off balance and potentially get a big advantage.

"every punch starts from the heart, and thats in rhythm or youre in trouble" - sugar ray "killed a guy ftw" robinson. if only he knew that heart arrythmia is a common condition among athletes. but dont let that spoil the catchy quote

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011

Fat Twitter Man posted:

here are a lot of gay words about Stipe

I was figuring he deserved to be the favorite in this fight because the first one was super close and Stipe has shown better ability to adjust in the past than JDS has. Each of them got beaten up in the first fight because of a specific bad habit, JDS backing into the cage and Stipe dropping his hands when he punches, and I figured neither would be able to change those habits much. So it was a matter of how they would adjust their game plan. JDS went with the attrition strategy that won the first fight but added leg kicks. That was a really good idea and likely to be successful against Stipe, but Stipe's adjustment was not trying to wrestle after JDS shut down his wrestling the first fight. I dunno whether JDS chin has gotten worse or whether the KO just came from Stipe headhunting more.

i think having a good chin only counts for so much in a HW fight. they can all knock eachother out easily

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011

Skip My Posts posted:

Did the fans really want GSP/bisping?

id rather see bisping fight yoel. or gsp fight yoel

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011

DeimosRising posted:

Didn't old bare knuckle fights feature a lot more body shots and a lot fewer punches to the head?

possibly in some cases. especially if the fighters had regular labour jobs they used their hands for ... but if a fighter can win a bunch of money by knocking someone out with 1 punch then a fighter who can knock people out will headhunt. a broken knuckle generally wont cause you too many problems in the long run

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011
i dont see how dropping the gloves is gonna make a headkick feel any less like being cracked across the skull with a baseball bat. or being dropped on the canvas head first etc. headgear would seem like a better idea. but i think the best solution to concussions in contact sports is to improve the post competition medical care as well as the research and technology involved as much as possible. or to outlaw contact sports but 6000+ years of cultural significance and provenance will make things difficult in that case

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011

Novum posted:

Last I checked there was also a lot of talk about how headgear in combat sports might actually make poo poo worse somehow

this is just my guess but i bet itd be becos thered be less knockouts, but still a lot of impacts to the head. and the stuff they use in amateur combat sports, that leather BS, its bad protection.

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011
Id rather have some broken bones than a concussion personally .. even putting aside the long term damage a concussion can cause, you can be back to doing cardio in a week with say a broken collar but a concussion is like 2 months off

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011

kimbo305 posted:

Broken bones in your face is probably a concussion.

maybe but not necessarily. if a bone breaks then its absorbing some or a lot of the shock that would otherwise rattle your brain, its the same principle as bike helmets which are designed to take an impact and then be replaced. if someone is pummeling your face and a bone breaks as a result of constant stress then its probably a concussion but 1 hard shot that breaks like your orbital or something it might save you from the brunt of a brain impact

I.N.R.I fucked around with this message at 17:29 on May 21, 2017

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011
nick is care mad because sage is doing something normal and not riding on a hot air balloon plucking feathers off a raw chicken

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011

Eat This Glob posted:

I think that she twweted that cyborg looks like the tricycle riding puppet from the "SAW" series of films.

Also, does anyone know of an example where a combat sports person was charged for assault/battery on a fellow athlete for extra curricular fisticuffs? If seen enough poo poo at media events/weigh ins at mma/boxing stuff over the years, I just don't recall anyone catching charges on it.

probably these kinds of things get smoothed over in different ways when businesses are involved, it doesnt really benefit anyone to have court cases and arrests hanging over them. or maybe u have a scenario like a "straightener" where you both agree to a street fight to settle differences, this kind of thing is a legal grey area in a lot of places. but this case is just assault cos cyborg got care mad at being trolled online

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011

Anonymous Zebra posted:

I think uninstigated sick burns making fun of people's looks are pretty lovely, when the person whose looks are being judged is a woman it's a bit shittier, and when said woman is being photographed entertaining cancer children I think we've moved to a pretty deep level of lovely.

She still didn't deserve to get punched, but goddamn, she is a really crappy person.

QQ more

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011
Carry a kid with leukemia around in your backpack to ward off online trolls

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011

tesilential posted:

I don't like Cyborg, but it makes me very happy that she punched Magana in the face.

Also, lmao at the goons who jumped in to quickly point out that hitting people is wrong in the UFC thread.

No poo poo Cyborg should face charges, but it is super dope that Angela got punched over her internet smack talk. Seriously, :lol: It would be really cool if the internet wasn't quite as anonymous so everyone could get beat up for their bad opinions that they wouldn't dare voice out loud IRL.

kick em both out and shut down W145.

who are u trying to impress?

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011

tesilential posted:

Yo momma. I can see why you abbreviated your username, "I'm Not Really Intelligent" is too obvious.

Nope.

no hard feelings .. its just rather silly, what u said. dont they teach you in kung fu class that the first line of defense is not having to fight at all?

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011

chaleski posted:

I haven't watched TUF in a few years but Garbrandt really can't be worse than loving Ken Shamrock, can he?

"those who can, do. those who cannot, teach"

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011

theyre at an impasse then .. i think they should both go to a fairground and compete in all the different stuff like shooting nailed down prizes with a cork gun, fishing stuff out of a barreo etc. dodgems + ring toss

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011
aldo is my favourite fighter. it would be a shame if he never got a chance to fight conor again whatever the result might be

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011
dc will beat him rather badly if the osp fight is anything to go by. maybe he just got out of the wrong side of the bed for it but i personally doubt it

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011

Bluedeanie posted:

I've seen his a lot, but drug testing issues aside, what was quantifiably different in your eyes from the OSP performance than the Rashad Evans performance?

i didnt see his fight against rashad, but although osp didnt run him close he looked slow and frankly a little uncoordinated in some parts of the fight, maybe it was ring rust after a layoff, but if someone like tkz can come back looking strong then a natural talent like jones seems like he should come back looking better still. plus cormier has been doing really well recently

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011
and to be honest i dont think ring rust is such a huge issue in mma, at least not layoffs of a year or so. since fighters only compete twice a year or so anyway. tkz had 2+ years off and had some rust but was still world class. cruz should have been rustier than anyone but still looked as good as ever after his layoff. woodley had time off before winning the title. and khabib. these are all top 10 fighters and champions as well and its not boxing so its not like they had the luxury of choosing a fight. but everyone handles situations differently i suppose. but even if it is ring rust then that just means he will probably be rusty against cormier too since the osp fight was over a year ago

• Locked thread