Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Will Jon Jones ever fight in the UFC again?
This poll is closed.
Yes 59 56.73%
No 45 43.27%
Total: 104 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011

tooterfish posted:

There are ways to do that without getting a concussion, it's called a panic drill.

I used to train at an ABA club in a shithole seaside town, it wasn't exactly a ballet school. I'd walk out of any place that did "milling" laughing my rear end off, it's loving retarded.

It seems that you have gotten conversations melded and have confused milling (feinting/adjusting your guard) with letting someone punch you

david carmichael fucked around with this message at 18:10 on May 7, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011
Filipino boxing, karate, non-filipino boxing etc. all make use of milling. Anderson Silva doing a lot of it against bisping is the most vivid example in my memory

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011

manyak posted:

lol but to be fair remember when he threw a lazy jab against Ray Mercer and got knocked out by an overhand

It was like watching a tree fall

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011
Bas threw straight lead hands all the time, he just wasn't on board with feinting or not sitting down on punches. He figured you may as well just full on punch

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011

Tezcatlipoca posted:

Cain has been injured a bunch, I know, but he is still way faster than Rothwell and would just single leg him and beat him up again.

Edit: If you haven't seen the first fight you should watch it if only for Rothwell complaining about the stoppage after taking what seemed like a galaxy's worth of punches and elbows to the head.

Edit 2:vvv That was incredible, yeah.

That was an early stoppage for sure

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011

I.N.R.I posted:

i imagine anyone having to fight him will get tired just as fast as he does

Watch Romero/feijao for the greatest fight of all time

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011
i think the moral handwringing over dudes juicing to cave each other's skulls in should be secondary to the fact that we are paying people to cave each other's skulls in

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011
i think each of you should one by one apologize to vitor

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011

manyak posted:

Thats cool that you think so, in the real world though steroids are illegal

Many PEDs aren't illegal

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011
Like in glorious Canadar tren is schedule 4. Get up on it

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011
Who is the guy in stipes corner that looks like tim Johnson/Wayne gretzky

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011
I was running a pretty high fever but didn't Maia catch one? Also masvidal wasn't loading up so it's harder to react, and maia's reflexes aren't his best asset

Also I could see maia's willingness to play off his back/work from sprawl getting him into trouble against Woodley. Masvidal got some good shots in and Woodley has much better power

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011

TheRationalRedditor posted:

Yes. He was very extremely good once he found his footing, I hope his nose heals well enough for him to attain 100% confidence again

At least in the Wonderboy fight I think the problem was that he was look for Wonderboy to lead so we could counter/work for a takedown, and Wonderboy was looking for Rory to lead. At the time I put the blame partially on Rory but after wonderboy's last two I am sure it is 100% wonderboy's fault

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011

Bundt Cake posted:

Im probably going too hard in the other direction. but Um yeah I think cerrone, magny, masvidal and maia are all beneficiaries of a lot of guys flaming out at once

story, ellenberger, condit, kampmann, hendricks, etc. was a superior group of dudes in their primes, imo. These guys picked them off as they aged out from being beaten up n stuff. I think that class of WWs we saw with the guys i meantioned plus pyle, peirce, brown, and so on. THats the best MMA has been so far, IMO.

all those dudes except Hendricks and pierce were good not great. Hendricks was great/elite, pierce was flat bad. Maia is great, Cerrone is great and will retire with some fun records, masvidal has potential he hasn't realized

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011
Well, Maia is dogshit to watch but beat a pile of fools on your list. Cerrone will never be champ, masvidal will never be champ, but like.... why isn't your list the actual good fighters from that era like Jake shields and rory

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011

VagueRant posted:

Weird hypothetical: if downward elbows, and strikes to the back of the spine and head were legal - would leg takedowns no longer be viable?

They would be very viable, except against the cage where you would need to complete them quickly. It would also make back mount an almost guaranteed finish

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011

Bubba Smith posted:

demetrious johnson should get as much money as he can and if that's the holdup for not agreeing to fight Dillashaw yet then that's cool. But he's for sure ducking if he keeps persisting TJ needs to make weight first or can't skip to the front of the line or any other unimportant poo poo like that. jose aldo fought frankie edgar without needing him to make 145 the first time.

The issue for dj is that if he goes through camp and tj misses weight then he still needs to fight him if he wants to get paid. And if he loses to a much larger dude who doesn't make weight it will seriously hurt his already marginal drawing power. If he has proof he can make weight then the risk is mitigated somewhat. No one every wondered if frankie could make 145 because he's like 5'4

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011
Like when aldo fights Frankie he is quite obviously the bigger man

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011
Now I'm just watching this weekend's thing and I can't help but notice that Abdul razak alhassan is severely infringing on razak al-hassan's brand

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011

CommonShore posted:

And Max has 10 wins since then. Max today would beat Conor.

Let's just calm the gently caress down.

I think Max did much better on the feet vs Conor than most people seem to think, even prior to Conor's injury. But at the end of the day max Holloway was wrestled by Conor fweaking McGregor. Sure it would be a compelling match but it's a bold claim to make, particularly because it will never happen at 145

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011
They call me senior regular due to my love of fibre, and also because my life is essentially over

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011
Jones also discussed how he completely stopped training striking to focus on bjj so it's safe to assume his career is over

• Locked thread