Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Will Jon Jones ever fight in the UFC again?
This poll is closed.
Yes 59 56.73%
No 45 43.27%
Total: 104 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene
I'm going to post "sleepy miocic" when jds knocks him out

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene
Stipe got knocked out cold against Reem and collapsed like a ton of bricks but woke back up and loving caught himself as he was falling. Pretty sick

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene
I don't think he's been working with parillo for that long relatively speaking either. Pretty much all the people who hosed bisping up since 2010 have been on hella roids

And before any of you idiots talk poo poo look at rockholds jawline pre and post usada.

Gay Horney fucked around with this message at 19:58 on May 2, 2017

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene
rockhold was less handsome when he was on steroids. they gave him big jaw bloat and the weird sideways gut that is like one of those fake 3d images that looks like it has extra dimensions from certain angles. steroids give yolked people the jawlines of people fatter than they are.

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene

Snowman_McK posted:

That's a chin, not a jawline, dude.

i am beset on all sides by trolls

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene
i would rather have a male 115 pound division than a female 125 pound division. how many lightweights are there on the roster? over a hundred I'm pretty sure. how many female 125ers? you can't name more than six right now.

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene

Tezcatlipoca posted:

Why would you want to watch Meisha Tate take another huge poo poo in the cage, again?

you're thinking of julie kedzie

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene

Chillanese posted:

Can you name more than six adult male 115ers right now, on earth?

no that was my point.

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene

im saying i really really really really loving really do not want to see a women's 125 division

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene

Triticum Guzzler posted:

Bas Rutten used to be at the bleeding edge of striking in this sport and he said there was no reason to ever jab in MMA, so it's hard to blame Quarry. It's easy to blame him for his post-fighting career: making a comic book called "zombie cage fighter"

he's kind of right. For a lot of styles and a lot of fighters you need to be really relatively safe to throw a jab. The jab in MMA makes you vulnerable to an overhand right or cross unless you throw it perfectly. Perfectly doesn't just mean keeping your elbow tight and your knees bent it also means you have to know the distance exactly. In other words you have to set up the jab while being aware of your wrestling opportunities, his wrestling opportunities, the feet, etc. There's a loving lot of work and a lot of just circumstantial poo poo that has to come together before you can throw a truly safe jab. Many fighters would rather set up a bigger strike.

With all that being said if you make a stinging jab a part of your game plan it can definitely work for you--Rory Mac, Gustaffson, Masvidal, Joanna and Makdessi all come to mind as guys who have nasty jabs that can gently caress up your whole poo poo but that's a function of their body types and fighting styles. They're never out of position to either throw that jab or move their weight around and come in with another strike. In MMA the jab is more a feature of certain fighters skillsets and movement patterns rather than something everyone should try to force.

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene

Bundt Cake posted:

Your tangential jab analysis is goofy.
Jesus loving Christ. Everyone submit your corrections and I will let the mma legends with whom I train on a daily basis where they can improve. I know every punch can be countered. I was talking about the risk of the jab specifically. There's nothing in there that I haven't picked up from a dude with over 100 fights.

Gay Horney fucked around with this message at 21:43 on May 8, 2017

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene

Bundt Cake posted:

My first correction is that its not 2006 anymore, and Kenny Florian revolutionized the sport showing how a jab works pretty much exactly how and in the same circumstances you would expect it too if someone did it
Yes like I said there are more fighters working it into their gameplan. Nate Quarry is not one of them (and neither was Jeremy to be fair) and I was talking about Bas being right when he said there's no reason to throw a jab at the time he said it.

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene

Skip My Posts posted:

ouch my foot. drat he's droppin names

It's better than going "lol no" when you only read half the post

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene
Am I loving crazy or did Luke Rockhold just lose his championship off of a jab? Diaz hosed Michael Johnson up off of his jab too. GSP's hopping jab (one of maybe a half dozen jabs in his arsenal) where he was able to almost leave his feet because he knew he wasn't going to get wrestled is a great example of what I'm talking about actually. There is a lot more to working a jab into a fight than "just throw the jab" is all I'm saying

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene

Bundt Cake posted:

Every fighter you train with is dumber than tim sylvia who defended a ufc title with jabs

We use jabs a shitload in my gym. I love the jab. I was just trying to elaborate on why it is not used more often . I definitely regret name dropping I just got mad

Gay Horney fucked around with this message at 22:01 on May 8, 2017

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene
Do you guys remember when we all thought Ben Rothwell was going to be the champion and then JDS showed up and punched him in the stomach a bunch of times and we never heard from Rothwell again

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene

kimbo305 posted:

But you didn't drop the name?
Can you elaborate on why the jab is more vulnerable to an overhand counter in MMA than boxing?
I can see the argument that it's more suspectible to a takedown if you're maximizing reach and turning too much to the side, but how is it less vulnerable in boxing where you don't even have to show the takedown and commit to a faster and deeper overhand?

That's part of the MMA compromise. The higher and tighter your guard, the more work it'll take to react to a clinch or takedown. Leaving it out or putting your hands lower gives you more defense against non-strikes.

It's been described very well already but a couple things--

jabs in MMA are behind a smaller glove so they're harder to defend behind by default. If MMA was boxing with 4oz gloves you wouldn't see near as many jabs because it's harder to pull your hand back and defend.
Really intelligently defending yourself while you throw a jab in boxing involves getting your head off the center line away from the other dude's power and if you overcommit to that in MMA you're opening yourself up to a range of nasty things--kicks to the body, BRH, takedowns, you can throw the jab and defend yourself from a right hand but you can't throw a jab and defend yourself from a right hand or a double leg takedown at the same time quite as well.

i would also like to note that everything I post is from my own retarded brain and is nobody elses fault

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene

the poster looks up from his model set and sneers as he snaps the last piece of the track into place. "do you even traaaaaaiiiiiiiiiiin"

Gay Horney fucked around with this message at 04:58 on May 9, 2017

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene
Imo Yoel is nowhere near as bad a matchup for Bisping as is being said. Bisping has the toughness to weather the storm and the pressure and cardio to run circles around Yoel. I see romero having some crazy moments with Bisping winning a decision.

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene
Has romero ever had a five round fight? He can definitely put Bisping to sleep but his cardio is just so suspect. It will be an extremely interesting fight, much more so than waiting till November for GSP and Bisping

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene

Josuke Higashikata posted:

There's going to be more cheating going on in Bisping Romero than the human eye can see

especially Bispings

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene
Frankie will duck under a kick push Yair to the fence and beat him up

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene
My first thought when I saw jj eating that cupcake was that she's hosed and not making weight. Andrade will win

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene
Tj loving owns

Bubba Smith posted:

Apparently TJ Dillashaw wants to fight Demetrious Johnson if the Cody fight is off. that's cool.

And this would be amazing

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene
There are way too many lightweights. There are a lot of advantages to creating a new divisional ladder and the only disadvantages that I can see involve temporary growing pains and a pretty big shock to the system. It's a move they're gonna want to do sooner or later

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene

Dan Didio posted:

How do you figure?

the number of them

edit: it's high

to further clarify there are way more light and welter weights in the ufc than any other division. i don't remember the number

Gay Horney fucked around with this message at 06:19 on May 13, 2017

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene

Triticum Guzzler posted:

just wanted to mention that in pride the ring announcers called him denis "can" which was prophetic

Denis Cant

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene

Nierbo posted:

Woodley would flatten maia. Does anyone think Maias single is really that good?

Maias single is ridiculously good because he doesn't care about traditionally finishing it. Once he gets that leg he doesn't give a poo poo how he gets to the canvas---I'm pretty sure I've seen him grab leg and pull his opponent on top of himself into half guard. He doesn't always turn the corner like a traditional wrestler does. It makes it hard to step out of even if you're Jake shields.

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene
His single leg actually got way better after the Rory fight imo. After that is when he started doing the weird positioning poo poo he does where he'll wrap you up and effectively fall backwards. Woodley is just so loving huge and strong and could definitely KO Maia if he takes as many shots as he did from Masvidal.

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene
What's next for Yair? featherweight is loving stacked. Stephens or Jason Knight would be good. Brian Ortega? featherweight is really cool.

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene

JaySB posted:

I don't think it surprising that Conor signed the fight he relentlessly pitched which will make him more in one fight that he will over his entire MMA career.

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene
i think going to a ufc show with thousands of screaming japanese people would be an experience unrivalled by anything else in my lifetime. plus you can bet like a million Yens and gamble with big numbers even though it's five bucks or whatever.

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene
Headgear is really really bad to wear. It turns the shock of getting hit from a local one to one that sort of spreads throughout the whole headgear. I much prefer getting hit in the head without it. It kind of makes you go bwoooong whenever you get hit and dudes get knocked out with it on anyway. It protects from cuts but I would be willing to bet it is worse for your brain.

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene
I don't think nearly enough people get the poo poo beaten out of them for saying stupid poo poo online. The upcoming legal battle will be the only time I've ever rooted for Cyborg.

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene

chaleski posted:

Someone can be an unlikable lovely person and still not deserve to be assaulted

Nah

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene
Run your mouth in public the way you do online and marvel at how quickly the world changes around you

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene

Marching Powder posted:

Lol you sound like the comments section of a news article about brexit

I can see why a discussion about getting punched in the face for being a retard online would be a source of great alarm for you

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene

Eat This Glob posted:

I think that she twweted that cyborg looks like the tricycle riding puppet from the "SAW" series of films.

I take everything back this should be protected speech

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene
they'll probably make ngannou fight lewis because the ufc is dumb and mashes contenders into each other

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene
i want to see tj fight mighty mosue.

• Locked thread