Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Will Jon Jones ever fight in the UFC again?
This poll is closed.
Yes 59 56.73%
No 45 43.27%
Total: 104 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Salaries don't have to be based on drawing power, particularly when drawing power can be directly influenced by the promoter to no small degree unless you're a mega-star like Conor who transcends logic in terms of popularity. If the UFC keep putting you on the undercard of foreign fight night cards, you're not going to get any drawing power.

It's something they can, and probably do, use against fighters in contract negotiations even though they're directly responsible for X or Y having no huge opportunity to make their name.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I wonder what the difference in weight would be at fight time. I'd guess that DJ's going to be giving up a significant amount.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

tesilential posted:

Then what should they be based on? I'm asking in earnest. As it stands, promotors make money in 3 ways: 1) Ticket Sales, 2) PPV Sales, 3) TV Deals. Unfortunately, MM doesn't provide much value in any of those categories.

The reason I talk about MMA on the internet instead of run the UFC is because I don't have all the answers or even good ideas but they can definitely do more to pay fighters based on their overall performances. You should get more money for being a better fighter, and it's not like I'm saying drawing power should be removed from the equation, only that it shouldn't be the deciding factor.

Anything that would raise the pay grade for the majority of fighters at the top, middle or bottom would be good.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Bubba Smith posted:

significant in terms of human pounds or large dog scale?

this is starting to get into conor mcgregor fighting a man three times his size in nate diaz territory. TJ ain't that big.

10 pounds is pretty big when you're down at 125. At heavies, it's nothing. It's not an absolute rule where 10 pounds is never big or always huge.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Stopped it a bit early.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Reminder:

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Marching Powder posted:

yeah you're right they should coach the ultimate fighter

I imagine it'd be something like this

Team de Randemie fighter: "Our team is the best!"

Cyborg: "HEY gently caress YOU! YOU'RE SCUM. I'LL KILL YOU" [beats the poo poo out of them with a crowbar]

Fightland @ Vice: "Cyborg... owns"

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Ngannou's probably the best new prospect the HW division has had in a long time.
Lots to do to turn potential into reality, naturally.

JDS vs Ngannou could easily be another Edgar/Yair situation though.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Jerusalem posted:

I have only seen one Aldo fight that I can recall and unfortunately it was the Conor fight (well, the fight ruled but for different reasons), so I've never really seen what he's capable of. He's supposed to be really, really, really drat good, right?

Go watch the second Edgar Aldo fight.

It's probably not the most entertaining fight ever and it's on the piss yellow UFC 200 mat so it's an eye sore too, but if you want to see how good he is, that's a good bet because you know how good Frankie Edgar is, right?

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

As cool and funny as the 13 second KO was, it sucks because a 5 round fight between Conor and Aldo would definitely be one of the best fights of all time and it answered like two questions.

1. Can Conor knock Aldo out? Yes
2. Was Aldo the saltiest human being on the planet when that fight started? Yes

Everything else about MMA is up in the air about that match up so it's just poo poo we're not seeing a re-run.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Jerusalem posted:

Watching Aldo/Edgar now.

Loved Aldo's post-fight interview in the Mendes fight.

"So did you deliberately punch him after the buzzer?"
"I knew I had to punch him, so when I saw the chance I punched him."

It wasn't even after the buzzer. It was on it and he's just that quick. He can't unthrow the punch.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Yeah, it's pretty astounding how garbage UFC 200 was despite the fact it had some good fights and sick KOs.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Conor definitely hits extremely hard but the Aldo KO was also perfect timing and hit the right place at the right time. He probably couldn't intentionally throw a better punch.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Dr. Abysmal posted:

I think the only way it ever happens is if Aldo moves up to lightweight, which has been on the table at various points. Conor is never fighting at featherweight again for sure. It'll even be a long time before he fights in the UFC period again.

[Keven Aldo Conor.txt]

Aldo vs Conor 2 isn't happening because as soon as the Mayweather fight happens/falls through, he's either retiring on fat stacks or he's angling for another big money fight. He'll never defend a title.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Aldo vs Cub is great precisely because it is exactly what it is.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

i'd beat the poo poo out of conor to be honest, i'm big john mccarthy but bigger and not called john so i have all the skills needed

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Mayweather will gently caress him up barring a miracle and McGregor's air of MMA invincibility isn't especially large considering he got choked out by Nate Diaz last year.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Aldo is compact and muscular, like corned beef. There's a reason he's almost killed himself every other fight to make 145.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Skip My Posts posted:

vitor belfort has a service dog
It's a drug sniffing dog that can find TRT a mile away.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

http://www.mmafighting.com/2017/5/31/15722164/dana-white-50-50-split-between-ufc-conor-mcgregor-and-floyd-mayweather-would-be-pretty-fair

so Dana is trying to sabotage the fight already

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Oh, I agree that it'd be fair.

It's Floyd Mayweather though. He's not going to do fair.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Even at this stage of Pac's career, I'd fancy him to spark Conor where Floyd's probably going to take it 10 rounds, unless they make it a 12'er.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Work Friend Keven posted:

I'm a respected high tier senior regular with the power to crush posters & I literally don't know who you are.

i respect keven but i don't respect trying and failing to call out so 2 - 0 for kevin from home alone imo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

let's not complain that the ufc want to put together a cool fight because it would be cool instead of putting it together because it will do gangbusters

• Locked thread